| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:54 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 286 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: Beginning Bikers
PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:21 pm 
Chard Martyr

Thanks for the feedback!
Probably exercise, Josh. Once I live in a place that is more bike-friendly, I'd use it for running errands (and I like your bike, aelle) but Phx is just too stinking hot and everything is far apart. A used hybrid sounds like a great idea, c_s!
Looks like I'll still have to save up quite a bit for a used one- I didn't know bikes were so expensive!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 5:15 pm 
Double double, toil and trouble

Meggs wrote:
Thanks for the feedback!
Probably exercise, Josh. Once I live in a place that is more bike-friendly, I'd use it for running errands (and I like your bike, aelle) but Phx is just too stinking hot and everything is far apart. A used hybrid sounds like a great idea, c_s!
Looks like I'll still have to save up quite a bit for a used one- I didn't know bikes were so expensive!

Definitely keep an eye on Craigslist, as well as checking out local bike shops in your area, for used ones. You can often find something that needs minimal work for dirt cheap! I purchased new because I knew absolutely nothing about bikes and figured it would cost as much to fix one up as it would to just buy one in perfect condition. Turns out that's not always the case-- at least around here, parts and labor are pretty inexpensive. My husband rides a 20+ year old mountain bike that his parents passed on to him in 2009. It wasn't very well maintained and needed a lot of work--new brake cables, tires, tubes, saddle, and a chain, a shifter repair, an all-over adjustment, etc.-- and I doubt we've put even $250 into it, including that initial repair visit, in the four years he's had it. I've put around the same amount into my bike since then, which means it's actually cost me over $700 all said and done. Had I know better I absolutely would have purchased used.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:33 pm 

While I'm on a posting spree...

Any ideas concerning why the fork I'm getting flats every two weeks or so? I only ride on roads, check my tires for objects after every ride, and never ride under or over-inflated. I recently had new tires put on because my old ones were... old and thin, and I thought that might be contributing to the tubes always being punctured. Two weeks after my new tires (thicker and highly recommended by the guy at my shop) were put on, and today it's flat again. There's a visible hole, a perfect pin prick, in the side of my tube (I can see it if I pull back the tire a bit, so it's very close to the edge). Every time I take it in for a new tube they inspect everything to be sure there aren't any burrs or other things in there, and they've never found anything. And if this is just how things are, any tips on how not to become enraged every time I leave the house for a ride and find yet another flat? I'm so frustrated with this thing.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:50 pm 
Married to the wolfman

I did it! I bought a new bike! It's a Specialized Dolce Elite Compact and it is so light and zippy and wonderful. (The only non-perfect thing I can say about it is that it's black with pink highlights and I really didn't want a pink bike but it felt so good to ride that I was like well fork it, fine.)

After I got home, I took it out and rode like 14 miles. I had just been planning to go around the block a couple of times but ummm NEW BIKE. It was a revelation to go up hills I have really fought to even get to the top of before and feel like "wow, that wasn't bad." Might kinda be in love, I don't know.

Chop_socky, I can't figure out how to explain this in words myself but it's possible (I know because I've done it) to puncture the tube while putting it on if it's not inside the tire just right. Here's a link that describes it better: http://www.ebay.com/gds/Avoid-a-flat-ri ... 842/g.html I dunno that a flat from that would take as long as two weeks to show up, but if it's just pinched a little bit, maybe it's taking that long to wear through.

Or maybe someone else has a better idea! I hope you get it figured out anyway, flats are so forking frustrating.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:33 pm 
Slept through a huge sale, OH NO!

chop_socky wrote:

Any ideas concerning why the fork I'm getting flats every two weeks or so? I only ride on roads, check my tires for objects after every ride, and never ride under or over-inflated. I recently had new tires put on because my old ones were... old and thin, and I thought that might be contributing to the tubes always being punctured. Two weeks after my new tires (thicker and highly recommended by the guy at my shop) were put on, and today it's flat again. There's a visible hole, a perfect pin prick, in the side of my tube (I can see it if I pull back the tire a bit, so it's very close to the edge).

The only thing I can think of is to check the rim tape, which hopefully they did at the shop, and possibly upgrade it. On my older bike the rim tape failed and I kept flatting out, but they were snakebite holes, not pinholes, so I truly grasping here. I feel your pain though, it was totally not awesome to be constantly changing tubes.

Last edited by ~Sz on Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:35 pm 

coldandsleepy wrote:
I did it! I bought a new bike! It's a Specialized Dolce Elite Compact and it is so light and zippy and wonderful. (The only non-perfect thing I can say about it is that it's black with pink highlights and I really didn't want a pink bike but it felt so good to ride that I was like well fork it, fine.)

YAY YAY YAY!!!!

I cannot wait to hear many tales of adventures of you with your new steed! I am so happy for you!!!

ETA: Just googled: a beautiful ride! Here's to endless wonderful miles. I have a soft spot in my heart for Specialized. Embrace the pink!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:49 pm 

~Sz wrote:
chop_socky wrote:

Any ideas concerning why the fork I'm getting flats every two weeks or so? I only ride on roads, check my tires for objects after every ride, and never ride under or over-inflated. I recently had new tires put on because my old ones were... old and thin, and I thought that might be contributing to the tubes always being punctured. Two weeks after my new tires (thicker and highly recommended by the guy at my shop) were put on, and today it's flat again. There's a visible hole, a perfect pin prick, in the side of my tube (I can see it if I pull back the tire a bit, so it's very close to the edge).

The only thing I can think of is to check the rim tape, which hopefully they did at the shop, and possibly upgrade it. On my older bike the rim tape failed and I kept flatting out, but they were snakebite holes, not pinholes, so I truly grasping here. I feel your pain though, it was totally not awesome to be constantly changing tubes.

This is spot-on. I just finished dissembling the tires and came back to report that there ISN'T ANY RIM TAPE! I've never changed my own tubes before, so this is my first glance inside of things. This means that not only did the new bike not come with tape, but also my shop never advised it. Going to pick some up tomorrow. Thank you!!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:25 pm 
I Wanna Dip My Balls In It

Meggs wrote:

cool!

well, if you can wait, buying used is often awesome. I buy my bikes used these days (but I do that with the plan to sell them again when I move, so a different motive..). if you can find a touring bike or a hybrid, you'll probably be good to get started with (but, you know, if it doesn't work out, buy another one and sell the current one! everyone's first 'real' bike is usually wrong..but you gotta start somewhere to work out what you do/don't like)

as for sizing and stuff, it's worth finding a bike shop (or five) to try some bikes. they'll help you get started and probably try to sell you something new :) you'll start to get a feel for what kind of handlebars work best, what sizing/geometry feels right to you, etc. at the very least, buy your helmet/lights/etc there to thank them for their time if you end up buying used.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:55 pm 

Yay Chop_Socky! I'm so surprised your shop didn't catch that. Also, I got a better tape, not the least $$ one. Because I'd rather be riding than changing tires. I've been good to go since. Hope you are too!!!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:41 pm 

~Sz wrote:
Yay Chop_Socky! I'm so surprised your shop didn't catch that. Also, I got a better tape, not the least $$ one. Because I'd rather be riding than changing tires. I've been good to go since. Hope you are too!!!

The mechanics at my shop are totally nice, but I've had a couple of unsatisfactory experiences with them over the years-- they're a super busy business (EVERYONE in Boulder has a bike, and they're the closest shop to campus), so they tend to try to get bikes in and out as quickly as possible. Going to change shops for now but am hoping to teach myself to repair on my own so I don't have to rely on others to do things for me!

In the meantime, I put on Velox tape today, as well as the thingys that go outside the tube and help protect from thorns, glass, and the like! Thanks so much for the input!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:44 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Urgh, biking + menstrual cramps.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:11 pm 
Hail Seitan!

coldandsleepy wrote:

After I got home, I took it out and rode like 14 miles. I had just been planning to go around the block a couple of times but ummm NEW BIKE. It was a revelation to go up hills I have really fought to even get to the top of before and feel like "wow, that wasn't bad." Might kinda be in love, I don't know.

Badass! Its hard to beat new-bike-day... glad the new rig is working out for you thus far :)

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:10 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

Did a bunch of errands by bike today and wouldn't have thought 6 months ago that I could have done any of it, much less on my own. Progress.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:05 pm 

Yay Panda-on-bike-with-cookie!!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:04 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

so after a very long hiatus - inspired by a really freak crash where something was trapped between my wheel spokes and fork causing me to fly over the bars and slide across concrete *shuddder* - i am back on my bike. and i love it. and i regret not returning sooner. my daily commute is only 10km but none of it is flat. strangely, i've been doing well right off the bat on the uphill parts and even gaining speed on them sometimes, which is a surprise because i used to have trouble and would often stop in the middle and walk instead. i want to fit in longer rides on the weekends or evenings asap. yay!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:26 am 
Hail Seitan!

postnothing wrote:
so after a very long hiatus - inspired by a really freak crash where something was trapped between my wheel spokes and fork causing me to fly over the bars and slide across concrete *shuddder* - i am back on my bike. and i love it. and i regret not returning sooner. my daily commute is only 10km but none of it is flat. strangely, i've been doing well right off the bat on the uphill parts and even gaining speed on them sometimes, which is a surprise because i used to have trouble and would often stop in the middle and walk instead. i want to fit in longer rides on the weekends or evenings asap. yay!

never fun going otb, but im glad you got back on the bike. usually a lot of recovery like that will let you muscles recover/build fully and youll end up getting stronger that way. recover is half the battle :)

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:16 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

Good time Sunday ride. Feral cat spotting left and right.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:51 pm 
Married to the wolfman

pandacookie wrote:

There's one trail I ride to work that is always full of feral cats and roosters, and also tons of bunnies. The yelp reviews for the trail are all like "THIS TRAIL IS SO BORING" and I just think are you guys a bunch of kitten hating muggles or what?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:12 pm 

Bunnies! They are always so startled by bikes. I love bunnies on rides. And kitties and all of them. But not so much dogs on retractable leashes. The dogs are awesome but I don't think the humans are aware of the garrote potential.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:16 pm 
Married to the wolfman

I encounter a lot of people with off leash dogs, which wigs me out. I am 100 times more scared of hitting someone's dog than I am of hitting a person!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:22 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

There's feeding stations on one of my Sunday trails, so we always look for the cats at them. Prime spotting time is 7 am but we were a little later this morning.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:55 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Chop_socky, it is sort of problematic if your mechanics don't realize you have no rim strip ( say this as a person who works on bikes for a living, and as a person who volunteers at a free bike shop AND as a person who used to live in boulder/ deal w/ bike shops there.) Also, if you are still getting flats, remember, it is goathead season in Colorado. They can penetrate almost any tire. They are a modern plague.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:36 pm 
I Wanna Dip My Balls In It

pandacookie wrote:

not if you were stupid enough to start at the time YOU finished your ride. soggyjosh.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:53 pm 
Married to the wolfman

So I finally got a chance to go on a decent ride on my new bike, about 18 mi or so. It was mostly really great, and then I did the stupidest thing. The trail I was riding ends at a reservoir, and about the last two miles to the reservoir are light gravel & dirt uphill for 1.5 miles and then like .5 very steep and paved. Part of the gravel part is really steep for a short bit. On my way up, I did ok, walked the steep gravel part, went slow on the rest... No trouble.

On the way back I went as slow as I could downhill, not pedaling at all. As I got near that stupid steep gravel part I thought I should get off! Buuuut I didn't, instead I just went down it and I dunno if I braked and slid (maybe?) or just hit a rock badly but either way I wiped right out.

I'm fine, dirty and a bit cut up. My bike's okay too. But I do feel like a bit of an idiot.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:44 am 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

That's awesome you got out on some gravel on your bike! I love doing "mixed terrain" rides, with pavement and gravel. Don't feel dumb for wiping out. Everyone does it, and it's part of how you learn. Do you remember if you were using your front or rear brake more when you were coming down the steeper bit? Generally, when you're negotiating something like that, you want to slide your butt all the way back on the saddle to get your weight centered further back on the bike, and you want to sort of gently modulate your brakes if/when you use them. You don't want to rely on either one too much (using too much of either can cause problems - slamming on the front brake too suddenly can put you over the bars, but grabbing a fistfull of rear brake too fast an lock up your rear wheel causing it to skid and/or slide out), but don't be scared to use your front brake when going down hill. Just be careful, and don't grab it suddenly.

What did you end up doing for pedals on the new bike?

Reply to topic  [ 286 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next