| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 681 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 28  Next
 Post subject: Re: Garden Chat
PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:34 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I have...no idea. I didn't know I needed to check on this...how would I even? Do I add more compost...?

Of Capsicums & Things."

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:48 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Nevermind, I've been googling like crazy. Interesting stuff, gonna have to test the pH of our soil.

Of Capsicums & Things."

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:10 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

compost is always a good thing to add. :-)

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:10 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Powdery mildew has spread to the point where I don't think there's anything more I can do about it. So.... just hoping for the best.

Two butternut squash are growing! A third lady-flower opened this morning so I hand pollinated it, so maybe there will be three! There are several other female flower buds which may or may not amount to anything. The butternuts have suddenly switched from all males all the time to all ladies. I guess if the mildew becomes bad enough I could just eat them like summer squash. We'll see.

Also, I can't remember if I posted about this or not, but a bunch of the plants that I thought might be zucchinis are actually cucumbers. Furthermore, there are at least five fruits growing, one of which is super close to being ready.

I have a little pepper growing! And even more pepper flowers! It turns out that the secret to getting the pepper plant to fruit was watering it more often. Who knew?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:11 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

I love all this talk of hand-polinating. Don't you feel so naughty when you do that?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:24 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

can't get enough of them anthers!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:19 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

gahh! how is it possible i'm still seeing adult squash vine borers? everything i read said they're around for a short period, and since i saw a larva in my pumpkin a month ago, i figured the adults weren't around anymore. now they're bugging with my green zuchinni. i am putting out a yellow bucket of water with a drop of soap in it (and some mosquito bits) in hopes of attracting them and drowning them. it's a lighter yellow (i could only find the 70's tupperware container, which is about canary), so i'm going to take a yellow mustard lid and weight it down with something. to hedge my bets. bleh. hate these guys.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:41 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

got my yellow sticky cards! hopefully the cucumber beetles will find them attractive. (gosh, if these zucchinis weren't so tasty, i would not go through all this trouble.) the tatume squash are vining like crazy, but unfortunately have powdery mildew. :-(

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:53 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

My bell pepper on my plant went like this:

what does it mean? am i under/over watering? (i keep them inside) is the rest of the plant going to be ok?

side note: growing chillis that say "red" on the label, am i meant to wait for them to turn red? or can i use them green?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:56 am 
Married to the wolfman

On Sunday I pulled down my crazy gigantic green bean plants. They produced like crazy for about six weeks-- I was getting over a pound of green beans every other day-- and then they pretty much stopped. My garden looks so bizarrely empty without them there.

Cherry tomatoes still going totally crazy, and my heirloom tomatoes are ripening now too. It turns out my Green Zebras... aren't. I don't know what they are, but they are red! Kinda pink, actually. They remind me of the Prudens Purples I grew last year, but different. I guess the plant was mislabeled initially. Oh well!

Oh, and, my peppers are finally flowering. One of the bell peppers has one tiny little fruit on it. The Hungarian Black is the most beautiful plant I've ever grown and I wish I'd planted like sixty of them... the foliage is sort of dark purple/black and the flowers are the prettiest purple streaked white things. So pretty. I don't care if it never makes a pepper.

My cucumber plant has a couple of cucumbers on it, but it also has some sort of mold looking thing on its leaves and I'm worried it'll die before I get any ripe cucumbers off of it.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:52 pm 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

vixki wrote:
My bell pepper on my plant went like this:

what does it mean? am i under/over watering? (i keep them inside) is the rest of the plant going to be ok?

Well looks like the peppery version of Blossom End Rot. Which is nutrient deficiency. But I only know of this with tomatoes so I'll wait for someone else to chime in before saying more.

vixki wrote:
side note: growing chillis that say "red" on the label, am i meant to wait for them to turn red? or can i use them green?

You can totes pick them green! Almost every green pepper, hot or sweet, is actually just the unripe version of a red/yellow/purple pepper. It'll have a different flavor, maybe not as good, or maybe awesome, that all depends on the type.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:57 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

vixki, it kinda looks like sun scorch. are they directly in the windows? peppers are kinda delicate, and need a bit of shelter from the sun when there are fruits on it.

and you can totally use bell peppers when they're green. and i know you can use jalapenos when they're green.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:47 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I think it is blossom end rot. Google it and look at the pictures.... and suggestions on how to correct it. It can be caused by a nutrient deficiency (not enough calcium or magnesium), or imbalance with other nutrients. BUT often it is just a matter of watering issues. The only time I ever get it in my garden is when I goof and water too lightly over a long period, but it can happen if you over-water too. Since you're growing inside in a pot, look to see what's in the potting soil you used and/or your watering practices. Plants inside often get too much water.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:34 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

My tomatoes are starting to ripen! Do any of you can your tomatoes? How can I can them all at once without the ones ripening first rotting away on me? I'd like to do as big of batches at once as possible, but only three or four tomatoes seem to ripen at the same time.

Of Capsicums & Things."

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:01 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

next year plant determinate varieties. :-) (the indeterminates are the norm in backyard gardens because they're good for fresh eating one by one, but the determinates explode with fruits all at once, so they're good for people with big yards and lots of plants who like to can.)

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:21 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Seriously? There are varieties that all ripen at once? That's pretty awesome.

Of Capsicums & Things."

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:11 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

PM me your address. i recently found my seeds that were buried under clutter in the basement for 5 years, so i have a lot of tomatoes that i will most definitely not use before they become unviable, and with my limited space, determinates aren't going to be a priority any time soon.)

the determinates i have are cream sausage (white paste tomato), principe borghese (which are small and supposedly good for sun drying) and royal chico (which is a roma that is apparently disease resistant)
i also have jersey giant which is indeterminate, but is a paste tomato that gets good reviews for making sauce.

p.s. i can't guarantee that these are still viable, but the basement is pretty much always cold, so there's a good chance some are still good. i would definitely germinate them in the wet coffee filter in a bag method, so you don't waste good potting soil from ungerminated seeds. (or at least in a communal pot of, perhaps, vermiculite that you pluck them individually out of to pot up in it's own separate pot)

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:57 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Thank you so much for the offer! We don't have the room to start from seed inside, but I will let you know if we move to a better space this winter. :)

Four more tomatoes were ripe this morning (as well as two giant zucchinis, geeze!), so I think we might actually have enough for a small batch this weekend.

Of Capsicums & Things."

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:04 am 
Semen Strong

What do you do with plants that aren't producing? Just pull them up? My zucchini have not produced a lot of fruit. Tons of flowers, but the fruit just seems to wither and go rotten on the vine. I had 2 zukes from a ginormous plant.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:09 am 
Semen Strong

What do you do with plants that aren't producing? Just pull them up? My zucchini have not produced a lot of fruit. Tons of flowers, but the fruit just seems to wither and go rotten on the vine. I had 2 zukes from a ginormous plant.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:04 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

do they still not produce if you hand pollinate?

i get a few witherers on my good plants from time to time.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:36 am 
Seagull of the PPK

i think we may have some weather issues. we still haven't gotten a single zucchini despite hand pollination (on the very few female flowers). Our butternut squash just this week produced its first female flowers. the cukes on the other hand are absolutely insane. and the watermelon just gave up the ghost.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:10 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I've been having low production, too. My butternuts have one fruit growing per plant so I'm happy with them, but the pumpkins and (what I'm pretty sure are) zucchinis have produced absolutely no female flowers at all, so there's nothing to even hand pollinate.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:31 pm 
Semen Strong

Would you just pull them up then? I don't see our zucchini giving anything more at this point, and it might be useful to pull it up and use the space for more kale or something?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:21 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

well since you mention kale. is it too late to put it in for the fall? too early? not sure how long i should expect it to go here in NJ.

Reply to topic  [ 681 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 ... 28  Next