| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3179 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102 ... 128  Next
 Post subject: Re: Running!
PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:46 pm 
Chip Strong

I can speak to cold weather running.

I live in a part of Canada that can get pretty nasty temps (and snow) in the winter. While it's not super cold all season, days in the -20C (-4F) range aren't uncommon and I run throughout the winter. (-20C is usually my cut-off temp, though) I would much rather lace up in cold than run in the heat. It probably helps that it's very dry where I live, so you really can "dress for the cold" and you don't get that humid cold-to-the-core feeling. So, I just bundle up when I run. I usually do my winter long runs with buddies on running paths and I live in the sunniest city in Canada (cold but not winter grey and gloomy), so I honestly don't really worry about bright clothing too much but I definitely layer.

My usual cold weather outfit is:
-tights (either regular or thermal with brushed fleece inside)
-a tank
-a long sleeve (preferably a 1/4 zip)
-a running jacket
-and a wind stopper vest.

If its really cold, I'll add a thermal hoodie (kind of like the thermal tights - thin but with fleece on the inside) and a neck warmer. Tuque (knit cap? beanie? whatever it's called in the US) and mitts are required.

I do warm up as I run, but I rarely need to undress. I just unzip the vest, jacket and 1/4 zip long sleeve. I find exposing my neck and chest does wonders for cooling me down without needing to take anything off. And I love running in a vest in cool weather. Keeps my core warm, isn't bulky and has extra pockets.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:49 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

I have shin splints. I am really, really sad about this. All of the treatment guides say no running for a few weeks.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:54 pm 
A Bad Person

lobsteriffic wrote:
inceptisol wrote:

Also, the site lobsteriffic was referring to is on Runner's World i think.

Thank you! If anyone else is interested, here's the link:

http://www.runnersworld.com/what-to-wear

Thanks for this! I have a general idea for what I should be wearing, so this is a good check on that. They recommend I run shirtless in the current weather where I am, which I probably should. I get nipple chafe after mile 4. I've got a thing of Body Glide, and I tried to head it off by re-applying it mid-run at mile 3, but it didn't work out great. Thankfully I was wearing a dark shirt last night, so it wasn't totally obvious. I'm just a little self-conscious about running without a shirt on. I'm not used to that.

But besides the nipple chafe, last night was my 15K practice run on the actual course I'll be running in three weeks and I think I did great! I felt really good the whole way and I ran it faster than my last couple practice runs. Today, my quads are blasted and my knees are a little sore, but I think that's about the extent of the damage. And knowing how long it took me to finish the 15K will make it easier for me to make a tailored playlist for it!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:39 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

My Achilles has been bothering me for a few weeks (because I build up mileage too quickly, I think) but it's time for me to start training for the zillion races I have coming up in the fall (including 2 half marathons). I've been taking it easy and icing a lot and I think it's finally getting better but I don't know how to get the right balance of building up mileage v. resting it enough. Last week I ran 5 miles, took a day off, ran another 5, took 2 days off, and ran 7. Today is my second day off and I'm planning to run 3 tomorrow but I don't really have a plan after that. Bleah!

Nebraskalaska, that sucks about your shin splints! I've never had that particular problem but it's always so hard to follow the advice of no running.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:14 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Dave the Cat wrote:
My Achilles has been bothering me for a few weeks (because I build up mileage too quickly, I think) but it's time for me to start training for the zillion races I have coming up in the fall (including 2 half marathons). I've been taking it easy and icing a lot and I think it's finally getting better but I don't know how to get the right balance of building up mileage v. resting it enough. Last week I ran 5 miles, took a day off, ran another 5, took 2 days off, and ran 7. Today is my second day off and I'm planning to run 3 tomorrow but I don't really have a plan after that. Bleah!

Nebraskalaska, that sucks about your shin splints! I've never had that particular problem but it's always so hard to follow the advice of no running.

Well I used to have a lot of problems with my Achilles, and once a physiotherapist who was also a triathlete recommended me to take mineral supplements with selenium. (I'm not a big fan of taking lots of supplements mostly because I always forget to take them) But for me these supplements with selenium have worked a lot.

Now and then I still sometimes get a little pain in my Achilles, so whenever that happens I start with these type of supplements again until I forget to take them because the pain is completely gone. I've done that and so far it has been like 7 years that I haven't had to stop running because of my Achilles. (during the period that it hurts I just try to just run a little slower)

Also heel supports for your regular walking shoes might help a lot.

And instead of taking days off to my experience is much better to do some cross training instead. It will heal faster and you'll continue working on building endurance.

To Nebraskalaska yeah shin splints suck, they hurt a lot...
but no need to stop running completely unless the pain is very sharp. Otherwise warm up that region very good with massage and some cream before running and after running and during the day whenever you remember try to massage it with ice.
Also in which surface are you usually running? you might want to change it...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:13 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I found out about this half marathon, the White Mountains Half Marathon and I really want to do it. It's near my birthday (4 days after). I have 8 weeks to train and I haven't been running in a couple months. I do bike a LOT, I've been weight lifting and doing some stadium running (up huge concrete seats). I'm in fairly decent shape and I did a half marathon back in early may.

..I got this, right?

(I have til the end of september to actually sign up without paying big late fees, so I'm not registering until I see how training is going)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:22 am 

lillianp wrote:
I found out about this half marathon, the White Mountains Half Marathon and I really want to do it. It's near my birthday (4 days after). I have 8 weeks to train and I haven't been running in a couple months. I do bike a LOT, I've been weight lifting and doing some stadium running (up huge concrete seats). I'm in fairly decent shape and I did a half marathon back in early may.

..I got this, right?

(I have til the end of september to actually sign up without paying big late fees, so I'm not registering until I see how training is going)

yeah I think you got it :)

good luck!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:19 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I had ingrown toenail surgery today, so no running for a week. Boo.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:35 pm 
Dead by dawn

lillianp wrote:

..I got this, right?

Yup, you got this. There are so many 10 and 12 week training plans out there and you're in good enough shape and have enough of a running background to compress any of those down to size.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:39 pm 
Dead by dawn

Interesting about the selenium supplements. Might have to try that. Usually I can keep my Achilles issues manageable by taking good care of my calves. If I'm diligent with stretching and foam rolling my calf muscles so they don't tighten up and tug on my Achilles, I'm usually good. If I slack off, I get heel pain.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:45 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

Running yesterday was awful. I didn't go in the morning because of early morning cuddle time (can't resist it), so I waited until about 3. It was super hot and I had eaten a big bowl of spicy black bean soup for lunch and apparently hadn't drank enough water...so many tummy cramps. I still have not figured out the formula for eating before a run. If I don't eat, I feel like I have less energy, but my stomach doesn't hurt. If I do eat (even apparently 3 hours beforehand), I feel like I'm going to barf. Honestly, my stomach stops me way more often than my legs or lungs do. Stupid stomach.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:00 am 

allularpunk wrote:
Running yesterday was awful. I didn't go in the morning because of early morning cuddle time (can't resist it), so I waited until about 3. It was super hot and I had eaten a big bowl of spicy black bean soup for lunch and apparently hadn't drank enough water...so many tummy cramps. I still have not figured out the formula for eating before a run. If I don't eat, I feel like I have less energy, but my stomach doesn't hurt. If I do eat (even apparently 3 hours beforehand), I feel like I'm going to barf. Honestly, my stomach stops me way more often than my legs or lungs do. Stupid stomach.

At my university the track and field training started at 6am. Was too early for me to be hunger and everybody told me that we should eat something before the training. I remember eating a banana or apple during the warm up, that was my breakfast.

Maybe you can try something lighter like that and not a complete meal.

Also if I were you I would try to run much slower at least at the beginning of each run.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:07 am 

monkeytoes wrote:
Interesting about the selenium supplements. Might have to try that. Usually I can keep my Achilles issues manageable by taking good care of my calves. If I'm diligent with stretching and foam rolling my calf muscles so they don't tighten up and tug on my Achilles, I'm usually good. If I slack off, I get heel pain.

One year I suffered 4 times from very sharp burning pain in both of my tendons. And yeah this guy recommended me the selenium and so far it has worked for me :)

"Heel pain" don't say that... I have nightmares whenever I hear those two words together :-P

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:53 am 
A Bad Person

It's about 1 million degrees outside and all I want to do is go for a run and it suuuuuuuuuucks!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:25 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

yeah, AP, 3 pm is still hot time.
i went on a ridiculous hike in my old running shoes about 3 weeks ago and my toenails both got black again. This week they both are killing me (after walking about 15 miles in NY last week) and it appears one of them is going to come off. what the fizzle, aging body. i just want to go running nice and slow like a senior citizen to maintain your cardiovascular health, but now parts are falling off!!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:25 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

yeah, AP, 3 pm is still hot time.
i went on a ridiculous hike in my old running shoes about 3 weeks ago and my toenails both got black again. This week they both are killing me (after walking about 15 miles in NY last week) and it appears one of them is going to come off. what the fizzle, aging body. i just want to go running nice and slow like a senior citizen to maintain your cardiovascular health, but now parts are falling off!!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:12 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

First run today since I came down with shin splints, minor stomach issues, and my grandma's passing. It felt amazing and I think it was quite therapeutic. It was the perfect morning for it!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:12 am 

I'm going to try the selenium, I booked a massage for this weekend, and I'm not running again until I'm all better (There - I said it! Now I have to stick to it). It's really frustrating because the pain is at a level that I could put up with forever, but I know if I keep going it'll get worse.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:21 am 

Also, the running gods gave me a sign that I shouldn't run and I totally missed it. This weekend I went to visit a friend and we had planned a 7-mile run. I forgot my sneakers so we went to the store to get new ones and I had to get purple ones - I hate purple and would never wear it in real life! Clearly I was not supposed to do that run, but I did.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:22 pm 

thou shall always listen and obey the messages of the running lords :-P

Does anybody here agree with me that no matter what type of injury you get, the physical pain never hurts as much as listening to the words: "you must take rest and stop running"?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:09 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

monkeytoes wrote:
lillianp wrote:

..I got this, right?

Yup, you got this. There are so many 10 and 12 week training plans out there and you're in good enough shape and have enough of a running background to compress any of those down to size.

YAY. If MToes says I can do it, I can do it. ;)

(Thanks also Worldrunner79!)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:37 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

worldrunner79 wrote:

Does anybody here agree with me that no matter what type of injury you get, the physical pain never hurts as much as listening to the words: "you must take rest and stop running"?

Ha, nope. I'm still in the forcing myself to just get out of the house and do it mode. Even after 4 months of running 3 days a week, I have to drag myself out. It always feels worth it in the end, but...

Managed a pretty good run (for me) today. Ran the first full mile, then walked 1/4, ran 1/4 twice. Actually the runs were a little longer than that. I didn't feel like death, either, and if I'd had more time could have gone longer.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:30 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

worldrunner79 wrote:

Ugh, yes. Plus I'm always afraid that I'll take too long to heal up and wind up not running for months.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:29 am 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

On tuesday I went running again, same route as two weeks ago, and did so much better! While two weeks ago I had to take 5-6 walking breaks in those ~6 km, the other day I ran it all with only 2 breaks! And I hadn't run at all in between, woo! Now, off again tomorrow.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:27 am 

Way to go Anek!

Morrisey do you have a specific goal for running? Are you following a plan? If you want some help on those things you can always send me a pm, I think I can give you some tips in order for you to be expecting the next workout and not be thinking:"#%# I need to go out of the house and run a little"

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3179 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102 ... 128  Next