| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:11 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Backpacking! Thru-Hiking! Let's talk about it here!
PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:01 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

[quote="crowderpea"

Also, just an FYI: if anyone is looking for a non-down insulated jacket, the synthetic Columbia poofy jacket that is lined with that OmniHeat stuff is amazing. Mine came as part of a 3-way coat (outer waterproof shell that the inner poofy part zips into). I can't even wear it when I hike because it reflects body heat so well I end up overheating.[/quote]

Awesome to know...thanks for the tip!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:09 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Tenacious LD wrote:
I've got the same question about socks! I tried giving up wool as a vegetarian, but never quite made it (smart wool socks were the only hold out). I've been vegan almost a year now (yay)! and I am definitely gonna have to replace these smartwools soon.

My husband got me some AWESOME synthetic (as in, not down) booties for my birthday. I just wear them around the house, but they are made for winter camping. They are super warm. The brand is Baffen Polar Proven.

Speaking of which...warmest, most light-weight 3-season sleeping bag? I really need a new bag, and I really want a light weight one! Anyone been researching light weight synthetic bags lately?

I have no idea about sleeping bags, but let me know when you find out! I'll have to replace my 3 season bag if I end up wanting to hike in late spring/early fall and I also want a light weight bag!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:16 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I fell in love with one of those Columbia coats lined with the reflective stuff and I can't bring myself to go back to the store I saw it at for fear I'll have to buy it when I really can't afford a new coat. And add me to the 'looking for something to replace smartwool socks' club.

Tenacious LD - I don't think I'll be able to make it over to those parks, but only because we're moving to Montana in a few months and we'll get to do some really fun hiking there.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:59 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Congrats on the move, Catalina- sounds like there are mountains in your future! What part of Montana are you moving to? I spent a spring & summer just outside of Missoula. We've had a few great backpacking trips to Montana since living in Idaho, too.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:48 pm 

We're moving to Missoula in March.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:38 pm 

That's awesome! You could really justify one of those Columbia coats, I think! I would keep an eye out for when they put this past season's colors on sale...

"God said, kill and eat!" ~ my grandmother

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 6:03 pm 

It's finally backpacking time (for me, I've apparently started hating anything hiking related when it's NOT warm out) again! i'm going out this weekend on a quick/easy 22 miler over two days in lowlands mass. Right along the midstate trail, which is super exciting as I've always wanted to check it out!

I'm also being lazy and not wanting to find a small amount of denatured alcohol, so I'm going stoveless. Food is banana chips, some clif bars, pita bread I had in the refrigerator, crackers and peanut butter. And some applesauce. heh. The others will probably at least be cooking and I'll just sit there and eat my pita + peanut butter!!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:08 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

Hi guys,

I'm a hiker/kayaker/camper.

I know this is a hiking thread not a kayaking, but I think the question is related enough...

I have a 2 day overnight kayak/camping trip this weekend and a 4 day overnight kayak/camping trip in August. I'm looking for ideas on vegan meals. Like backpacking, I need to conserve space (although not nearly as strictly) but unlike backpacking, weight is not much of an issue with long distance kayaking, so canned goods are fine. I'm not planning on bringing my hiking stove this weekend for the 2 day trip but will probably bring it for the 4 day trip.

This are some of the things I had in mind to bring this weekend (no stove)

snacks
fresh fruit (bananas, pears, apples)
dried fruit
nuts
Clif bars

easy lunch (made on the kayak)
wraps with peanut butter and jelly

dinners
cold 3 bean salad
cold quinoa salad (quinoa, tabouli, cherry tomatoes, onions, lime juice)

some Trader Joes Maple Leaf cookies for a junk food dessert

On the 4 day trip I'll take my hiking stove so dinner will be cans of vegan chili, soup, etc. and hot oatmeal for breakfast.

Any other ideas would be much appreciated!

Thanks

And btw, here's some pics of my dog Joey riding along with me.. He doesn't come on overnight trips though. And I only took his PFD off for the pictures, even though he's a great swimmer, he always wears one.

Last edited by Tynamite on Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:11 pm 
Slept through a huge sale, OH NO!

Sounds like you have a good variety of savory and sweet and your dog is awesome!

When a stove is available I have to admit I actually like the vegan options of freeze dried food. I buy them in bulk from Campmor and feel a little better about the expense.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:18 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

~Sz wrote:
Sounds like you have a good variety of savory and sweet and your dog is awesome!

When a stove is available I have to admit I actually like the vegan options of freeze dried food. I buy them in bulk from Campmor and feel a little better about the expense.

How are those prepared meals from Campmor? Are there any particular vegan ones you suggest? I know most people think of them as mail order but I actually live about 15 minutes from their actual store/headquarters. It's probably my favorite store in the world.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:28 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

Thanks about the comment on Joey! He's also a hiker. This is him with my wife.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:54 pm 

I know this might be too late to be useful, but!

The food coop in my city has a dried, powdered bean mix that you re-hydrate with hot water, so you might look for something like that at Trader Joe's or a coop near you. I like to use it for making burritos. Tortillas generally hold up well for backpacking, so they would probably also do fine on a boat trip. This is probably one of the more filling backpacking meals I've made, and if you have space for extras like diced tomatoes (I cheat and drain a can of rotel and pack it in a ziplock), a baggie of cilantro, a block of daiya, some olives, and whatever else, you'd have a pretty great meal.

ETA: Yay for boat dogs!

ETA again: I forgot you said no stove. I think you could easily re-hydrate a bean mix with tepid water, but it might take a little longer.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:01 pm 

Tynamite wrote:
Are there any particular vegan ones you suggest?

Backpacker's Pantry Louisiana Beans and Rice
Backpacker's Pantry Chana Masala

Katmandu Curry, I think also by Backpacker's Pantry -- I don't see it listed right now, though.

Mary Janes Farm uses organic ingredients and they have a ginger pasta that I love.

Quote:
I know most people think of them as mail order but I actually live about 15 minutes from their actual store/headquarters. It's probably my favorite store in the world.

I grew up right near them as well an also love going to Campmor in person when I'm back in NJ.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:22 am 
Bathes in Braggs

I just found this thread. This weekend my boyfriend & I want to go hiking. We will have breakfast on saturday and then leave. We will back on sunday, so I think the only meals we need are: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch. We can't cook so I'm a bit unsure what to take with me. What kind of food is okay to eat on sunday? I thought... pizza pockets maybe? I dont know. Help would be appreciated.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:58 pm 

I usually bring at least one almond butter and jelly sandwich; I guess I would make that my dinner. Breakfast for me are Pro Bars. I snack on primal strips for something savory.

I don't actually know what pizza pockets are?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:22 pm 
Chip Strong

VeganinBerlin, can you elaborate on what you mean by "hiking this weekend"? What is your actual trip going to look like? Are you doing day hikes each day and leaving from home or are you going to be camping and doing hikes from the campsite? Will you have any cooking facilities (camp stove or firepit)? Will you have a car? I have lots of suggestion for yummy hiking/camping food but they depend on what kind of trip this is.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:26 pm 

We're going to Glacier! In about two and a half weeks. It's just a long weekend - Thursday through Sunday - but I'm so excited. We won't be doing any backcountry camping this time, but we'll be checking it out for next time. I'm hoping to get a year pass and go back in the spring. It's my first time there so if anyone has any day hikes to recommend or favorites campgrounds I'd love to hear about them. We're debating between camping in one of the more secluded spots and then driving to all the trailheads or staying in one of the bigger campgrounds where the trailheads are.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:20 pm 

Envious! Glacier is beautiful. It's been years and years since I was there, but you will no doubt enjoy wherever you are. The Going to the Sun road is best at daybreak before the traffic and when the animals are out.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:21 pm 

Also, I just saw a great film about hiking the John Muir Trail: Mile, Mile and a Half. Definitely catch it if it comes your way. Lots of awesome scenery, hiking humor and inspiration.

http://themuirproject.com/mmah/film/

Oh, and an awesome soundtrack. At my showing the band was there and played for us live. A couple of the band members did the Whitney part of the hike and played an impromptu song at the top.
(Opus Orange is the band.)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:16 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

I actually forgot to check this thread again.

We had no way to cook. I took hummus wraps with us, nuts and pizza rolls but after a turkish recipe I kinda remember my mother making. It was so fatty but wonderful.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:39 am 
Huffs Nooch

Great thread! I'd love to find other folks to go walking, hiking, camping and backpacking with locally, regionally and beyond. If you might be interested, please get in touch!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:17 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I'm baaack! We just spent thanksgiving weekend in the Sierras south of Tahoe and are keen to do a backpacking trip through the Desolation Wilderness ASAP. Boy, winter camping is tough though. With 3 layers, a 20 deg bag, liner, and thermarest we were warm in 10 deg weather but there was way too much bulk! So, any updates about lightweight sleeping bags? I'm looking for a 0-deg bag under 4 lb.

Also, anyone ever backpacked with their dog? What do you do for sleeping arrangements? I saw a backpacking dog bed on Amazon but it doesn't look very warm. Our pup was *not* happy at night :(

Still looking for warm socks. I am using sock liners now, which helps with wicking but my feet are still pretty dang cold.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:26 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Ah I forgot to mention, husband wants to start doing ultra light weight backpacking (20 lb load). I'm not giving up my cushy 5 lb backpack and aside from upgrading my sleeping back and pad I'm not sure what else to do. We already use bladders for water and a jetboil for cooking. Food is basically the add water stuff. Do you guys have any tips?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:24 pm 

couroupita wrote:

Also, anyone ever backpacked with their dog? What do you do for sleeping arrangements? I saw a backpacking dog bed on Amazon but it doesn't look very warm. Our pup was *not* happy at night :(

We take our big dog, Early, with us even when it's pretty cold. We use a small Thermarest ridgerest, but you could also get a cheap blue foamie sleeping pad and cut it to doggie's size. We also use a comforter that my bf used to use with his Thermarest sleep system; it packs up pretty small. I think a child's sleeping bag might work, or a small insulated synthetic throw blanket. The main thing is creating insulation under the dog and having something to wrap around them and trap body heat. We also make sure he is pretty close to us, sometimes we put his bed between our feet so our sleeping bags add to his insulation.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:54 pm 

couroupita wrote:
Ah I forgot to mention, husband wants to start doing ultra light weight backpacking (20 lb load). I'm not giving up my cushy 5 lb backpack and aside from upgrading my sleeping back and pad I'm not sure what else to do. We already use bladders for water and a jetboil for cooking. Food is basically the add water stuff. Do you guys have any tips?

Give up your pack. Sorry! HUGE difference. I hiked with a 3-4 pound pack while thru-hiking now I have a just over 2lb one which is fantastic and not the lightest ever (For the record: Granite Gear vapor ki). Get the sleeping bag weight as light as you can. Use an alcohol stove because it's light.

-Tarptent. Or just a tarp, depending. I have a Six Moon Designs Lunar Solo which is on the heavier side of a tarp tents and comes in at 27oz plus stakes.

Use a plastic spork! Reduce the number of clothes, see if anything can serve a double purpose.

For overnights in the summer, I often skip the stove and eat cold so I don't carry that weight. I end up carrying except water probably somewhere around 15-20lbs. At the most.

It's a lot of trial and error and getting lighter stuff but also figuring out what you can do without.

For me in the summer (keep in mind I haven't actually backpacked in a while) it looks like this:
Vapor Ki pack ~2.2 pounds
40 degree sleeping bag (pre-vegan) ~1.75 pounds
thermarest, 1/2 length .75 pounds
headlamp (4 oz?)
Map
lighter
String for hoisting a bear bag, just in case
Light hat
Light pair of gloves
Thermal layer for the top, weather dependent also bottoms
Rain jacket
Extra pair of socks
FOOD
Water

And probably a few other random bits and pieces that I'm forgetting. As it gets colder, my clothes section gets longer and my bag switches to a warmer bag. I also carry a book because I need a book for the evening.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 126 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next