| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:59 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cross contamination question
PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:50 am 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

Hi gluten-free peeps. I made the Joy of Vegan Baking carrot cake a couple of weeks ago, and want to make a gluten-free version to take into my work because my boss is trying to cut down on/avoid gluten, but there is also someone else who is gluten-free in the office. She didn't say she was severely allergic, but then I don't know her that well. I guess she's more sensitive to it than my boss.

I have some sorghum and millet flour I'd like to use in the mix I plan to make, but they have a 'produced in a mill that also produces wheat products' allergy warning on them.

How likely is this to cause a problem? Should I just go and buy some dedicated gluten-free flour, and should I at the same time buy a new sieve? Will the very fact that I do cook with wheat flour in my kitchen cause a problem?

I don't want to make someone sick. Maybe I should just do the best I can and tell her what I've used and if she doesn't want to risk it the rest of us will scoff it...

"and by "load of facts" you mean a bag of flaming poop, right?" - supercarrot

Post subject: Re: Cross contamination question
PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:13 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

The only way to know is to talk to her. If she's celiac, it could definitely be an issue. If she's just intolerant, maybe not. Some people with celiac disease are not going to eat anything cooked in a kitchen that could have gluten around anyway. I would ask her in advance, or just make something and let her know what's up and not act like she's obligated to eat it because you made it gluten-free. It's awesome of you to be so accommodating!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:28 am 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

Thanks strawberryrock! Although a lot of my motivation is because I want cake and to experiment with new ingredients, and I can't get through a whole cake by myself!

I can't really afford to buy more ingredients this month, so yeah, I'll just tell her about the ingredients with warnings and leave it up to her.

"and by "load of facts" you mean a bag of flaming poop, right?" - supercarrot

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:37 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I know it may be too late now, but what I usually do when I take baked goods is mark them "no gluten ingredients: made in a non-dedication using careful practices" The other person in my house is not gluten-free, but I am. We share dishes, but make sure they've been cleaned very well, usually with the dishwasher because it's extra good at getting all the crumbs/the water is hotter. And when I bake, I line the pans with parchment so nothing actually touches the pan. That may not be good enough for the most sensitive people, but I tested pretty high on the sensitivity scale and it works for me.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:50 pm 
Tofu Pup

I know I am chiming in late, but without knowing the brand of products you are using, I would definitely advise against using products processed in facilities that also process wheat. I have met a number of people who have experienced gluten sensitivity symptoms after consuming products labeled "gluten-free" that are not processed in exclusive gluten-free facilities. In your particular situation, I think your best bet is to do what you said and just warn the person of the ingredients used. In the future though, the only way to be sure is to only use products processed in completely gluten-free facilities.

I have also heard (can't attest to the accuracy of this statement) that people who suffer from Celiac Disease who stop consuming gluten eventually become even more sensitive to it. Please take this statement for what it is, which is just something I've heard from other people, but the point I am trying to drive is to better be safe than sorry.

I hope this information helps.

Javier
http://www.WholesomeRepublic.com