| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:25 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Rock Climbing!
PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:11 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Rumney was super awesome! I did a bit of sport climbing on easier routes and TR on some harder ones. It was soooo awesome being able to climb in the 5.10-5.11 range outside!

Next time we'll do way more 5.7-5.8 so I can lead more and my guy can TR more... 5.10s are a stretch for him.

I left 2 quick draws up there and have already been in touch with the lady that picked them up! She's going to ship them to me. Climbers are so nice! I'm glad to get them back, they are sort of expensive and I only have 12 total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:02 am 
So Totally Yiffy

Pi. wrote:
Rumney was super awesome! I did a bit of sport climbing on easier routes and TR on some harder ones. It was soooo awesome being able to climb in the 5.10-5.11 range outside!

Next time we'll do way more 5.7-5.8 so I can lead more and my guy can TR more... 5.10s are a stretch for him.

I left 2 quick draws up there and have already been in touch with the lady that picked them up! She's going to ship them to me. Climbers are so nice! I'm glad to get them back, they are sort of expensive and I only have 12 total.

I was up in Rumney in the middle of the week and part of labor day weekend.When it was dry we got some good climbs in. Climbed a lot of 5.8ish stuff in all leading and no top-roping.
My partner did top rope one 5.11b but it ended up being a bit wet above the roof and she coudn't get over the roof so had to lower her down.
Heading to the Dacks today to close our trailer for the season and then climb a bit tomorrow up there. Then to Gunks for Saturday and maybe Sunday.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:42 am 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

Sunday we are probably going to Frankenjura! Excited! It's a huuuuge area and we won't be going close to where the famous Action Direct is, but still, new climbing area! Just 1.5 hours away!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:47 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

Everyone still climbing? Spent Columbus Day weekend at Rumney and had an awesoem time. A new gym opened in NYC that is closer to me and ridicously huge and amazing. Also been up to the Gunks the last two weekends.
Planning on racing my motorcycle this weekend so no climbing. But depending on the weather likely hitting Rumney veterans day weekend and the Gunks every other weekend I can.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:37 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I went climbing last weekend and realised that my shoes are too small for me (UK size 6.5 Boreal Aces bought before I was vegan) - does anyone have any recommendations for good vegan climbing shoes?

ETA: At the wall I did a lead climbing course with some friends, which was awesome! Im looking forward to doing some more leading in future.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:16 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

Too many variables to give a recommendation, but Evolv and 5.10 both make a fair number of vegan shoes. I have a pair of 5.10 Coyote Canvas as well as a pair of Evolv's not sure of the model, but more aggressive than the 5.10 but only wear them on tougher outdoor stuff.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:56 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I moved to London and have been mostly bouldering here as my climbing partner here is pretty flakey. I've still managed some outdoor bouldering though! I've been to Fontainebleau, France (supposedly the best bouldering destination in the world and I believe it), Tenerife in the Canary Islands and Nerja, Spain. So much fun. My dad's going to come up for a visit in May and we're going to the Peak District park up north on our way up to Scotland. He's not a climber but he's going to learn to belay so I can get some climbing in.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:07 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

vegimator wrote:
I moved to London and have been mostly bouldering here as my climbing partner here is pretty flakey. I've still managed some outdoor bouldering though! I've been to Fontainebleau, France (supposedly the best bouldering destination in the world and I believe it), Tenerife in the Canary Islands and Nerja, Spain. So much fun. My dad's going to come up for a visit in May and we're going to the Peak District park up north on our way up to Scotland. He's not a climber but he's going to learn to belay so I can get some climbing in.

I was at The Castle in north London last weekend and they have huge bouldering spaces, including some outdoor boulders, and at least one auto-belay so you can get some wall action in :)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:10 am 

vegimator wrote:

Any tips on Tenerife? We are going at the end of March and plan to mostly climb in the south of the island, anything you'd recommend? Thanks!!!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:27 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Yesterday, I climbed for the first time in 6.5 months (well, I did one half day wearing tennis shoes in Peru, next time I travel, I'm taking my shoes). I am SO sore. I'm going again tomorrow, of course!

I didn't suck as much as I thought I would. I managed to finish a 5.10a and a 5.10c as well as some 5.9s. I was climbing 5.11 and 5.12s before I left on my little trip though. Guess I need to climb way more and get back up to them.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:34 am 

Way to go Pi.!!!
Just back from Tenerife, the rock is sooo amazing in certain areas! I loved it although we didn't climb so much, but we promised to go back once we can climb harder routes and can enjoy the areas more.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:35 am 
So Totally Yiffy

Climbed for the first time outdoors this weekend, spent a day in the Gunks and had a good time. Weather us preventing me us from heading up to Rumney, so a few day trips here and there as I am off this week.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:02 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Anek wrote:
vegimator wrote:

Any tips on Tenerife? We are going at the end of March and plan to mostly climb in the south of the island, anything you'd recommend? Thanks!!!

Sorry I missed this! I would have just recommended bouldering in Arico Nuevo and leading up around Teide. Where'd you end up climbing?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:09 am 

We ended up climbing all around, I loved El Rio! We also went to Arico Arriba, Fantasma, and La Martela. We didn't make it to the Teide, mainly because from the map the routes we would have wanted were too scattered around (we are not very good climbers). It was really nice!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:53 pm 
Saggy Butt

Can't wait to start climbing outdoors! I'm pretty new to the sport, began climbing 6 months ago at a bouldering gym, and absolutely fell in love. Been climbing 3 days a week since then, and it feels really rewarding to be able to do V5s now when at first V2s looked like something only a Tarzan Superman hybrid could do. Got a crash pad to try some outdoor bouldering this summer, but it feels like concrete compared to the giant, soft, plushy pads at the gym. Anyone have tips on getting over that initial fear of outdoor climbing?

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 3:28 pm 
Saggy Butt

*Thread resurrect*

Went to Yosemite for a few days of climbing, and had a blast despite the mosquitoes and microscopic footholds ;) Got to play with my new camera lens, too, which was just as fun. Climbing pics look way cooler on real rock than in the gym.