| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I want to adopt a bunny + name him Nooch (i has questions!)
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:15 pm 
She's No Isa Chandra!

I was looking for bunny cages on craigslist and stumbled upon a posting (I'm copy/pasting it, and our email correspondence below instead of explaining everything).

Quote:
Rabbit Cage - $60
We are needing to find a new home for our pet bunny. He was purchased for my daughter who is 9, but has figured out that she doesn't have enough time to care for him properly. He is around a year old lionhead rabbit. Very friendly and energetic. The bunny is free, we just ask that you purchase his cage, as we paid well over $120 for the whole set-up. Have some food, treats and a leash that we will throw in. We just don't want him to get killed, as he is a nice bunny!
Please e-mail me for more details :)

Quote:
Hello!
I have been looking to adopt a bunny in the near future and came across your post on craigslist.
I'm a student living in downtown Milwaukee and I don't have a car, but I may be able to get a ride from a friend, or if you'd be willing to drive him here, that would be great!
If you could send pictures of him, the dimensions of the cage, and any more information about the bunny, about his vet check-ups/health info, etc, that'd be fantastic. I'll let you know if this would be feasible, and if so, I'd be able to get him as early as Friday/this weekend!
Thanks!
Kelly

Quote:
Hi Kelly,

I have attached a few pictures. Quality is not that great, as I took them with my cell phone. His name is Bella, because we were told by Pet Warehouse that he was a girl, only to find out that he has male parts! It's my daughter's bunny, and he's about 1 year old (we purchased him in January of this year), and it's just been too much for her. She has a lot of activities and other things that she's involved in, and she just doesn't give Bella enough attention, and I feel bad for the poor guy. That's why we are getting rid of him.

He hasn't been to the vet, because I didn't know he needed to be taken to one. Like I mentioned, we purchased him at Pet Warehouse, which is located on 27th Street. He's a black/grey looking Lion head bunny. Very friendly, as we have the kids, but I think he appreciates adult handling a little more than the kids handling. He's got a litter box in the cage, but because of my daughter's failure to pay him any attention, he's not really use to using it, rather he uses it as a little bunk bed type thing. His cage dimensions are around 2' H x 3' W x 2 ' D. It's spacious enough for him, but I wouldn't put anything else in there (like another bunny). He's not neutered or anything. He's an indoor bunny, and has been the whole time, however we do have a leash and he has been taken on walks around our yard. He really likes to hang out, outside.

He is in need of a nail cutting, and I would do that before you picked him up, if you decided that you would like him. Again, I would have given him away free, but am just trying to recoup some of the costs from the cage. I do have a good supply of food left for him, some timothy hay, and a bag of treats. I have in the past purchased those little huts made out of wicker, and he had a field day with those.

Let me know if you would like any more information, or to come out and take a look. I am in (their town)l. We could arrange me dropping him off, I would just ask for a few bucks for gas.

Thanks, (name)

Oh, and picture of course:
OMGSUPERCUTE IWANTTOSAVEHIM ASDJLKFLKDH@G(DISJJSX

I've been doing a lot of research about basic care and all (I had guinea pigs growing up, so most of it was familiar), and I found there's a small animal hospital about a mile away from my apartment.

My questions!
-If I were to take him, would it be advisable to get him neutered at 1 year old? Is that too old? What would be the benefits at this point? I imagine it would be a bad idea to take him right away what with the new home and everything being too much change at once. Just a vet visit, and how soon? I think at this point, these people wouldn't be up for taking him for even taking him to the vet. I'm well aware of the financial responsibilities of taking on a new pet, but I'm still a poor art school student!
-Litterbox training. How difficult would it be to train him now that the previous people neglected to properly do so? Tips?
-Anything else? Tell me your bunny knowledge!

I really would like this to work out and get it set up for this weekend. The other option I was planning on until yesterday was waiting until Thanksgiving break and adopting from a rescue near Chicago...but I don't really have that much time off for the break, and there's still 4 weeks for bunny to get comfortable and situated in my house before my 4 day trip to NYC, and a bunnysitter will be no problem (thread hijack: Melisser and I are doing a book signing in Brooklyn November 20th! Come hang out with us!).

Thanks new ppk!

Post subject: Re: I want to adopt a bunny + name him Nooch (i has question
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:57 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

-A year old is not too old to get him neutered. Most of the rabbits we get at the shelter are 1-2 years (people seem to dump them after a year!) and we get all of them spayed or neutered. You do need to find a vet who is experienced with operating on bunnies though, since they are more sensitive to some kinds of anesthesia than dogs or cats. Un-neutered males tend to spray urine (like un-neutered cats) and can become more aggressive and territorial. There's good info on neutering here. The vet will want to do an exam to make sure he is healthy enough for surgery. I would probably take him for a check up within a week of getting him just to make sure there aren't any issues anyway.

-It may take a little while. Put the litter box wherever he likes to go (I would take out the little bunk bed thing, since he apparently associates that with the toilet). Make sure the box is big enough for him to fit in, and put hay in to encourage him to spend time in it. It took my bunnies a few months to use the box consistently. They still poop outside the box sometimes, but bunny poop is super easy to sweep up!

Good luck!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:16 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

He is soo cute! And I like the name. We had an older rabbit that litter trained pretty quickly. Accidents are pretty easy to clean up after though.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:36 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

Nooch is an awesome name, way better then Bella (it seems like most black animals nowadays are named Bella), and he is adorable!

One little random fact: Neutering him will make litter box training a lot easier.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:31 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I have little-to-no bunny knowledge but i love him already.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:42 am 
Nailed to the V

What a cutie, and Nooch is a great name.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:39 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I have had house bunnies for about 14 years. The main place I go for info is http://www.rabbit.org (the House Rabbit Society). I also have the House Rabbit Handbook, which I found incredibly helpful with my first house bunny.

As far as the neutering, I agree with others that one isn't too old (or too young) to neuter. IMO, it does have an impact on not only personality, but behavior (i.e., litter box training as previously mentioned). When I litter box trained my first house bun, I did put the box where I noticed she "chose" to go. But then I also gave her a treat each time she went in the box. I did this until she got the message, then I gradually gave treats less often (maybe every third time, then every fifth time, etc.) until she didn't get treats, but knew where to go potty.

[To show you how smart bunnies are, they normally poop quite a few round balls at once. While I was giving her treats for each time going to the box, she would jump in, do one poop, jump out for a treat, then do one poop, etc. On a couple of occasions, a ball stuck to her (which I didn't realize) and she jumped out just to look all confused when she didn't get a treat!]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:22 pm 
Slept through a huge sale, OH NO!

I love this bunny so much and I hope you get to save him!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 12:31 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

gah, he's adorable! i had a bunny for 8.5 years, and i didn't know about the spay/neuter thing (she wasnt with other bunnies, i was uninformed, etc.) so i didn't have my girl spayed until she was almost 5 (whoops). anyhow, no complications at all, so i would think he'd be just fine.

the vet near your house (if it's the one i'm thinking of) is fantastic, and a great bunny vet. that's where my bunny went, and all of our animals still go there.

let me know if you need any help!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:25 pm 
She's No Isa Chandra!

Thanks everyone! I'll let you know what happens once everything's figured out! <3

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:34 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I love my bun, but he is more work than all 4 cats combined. But I'd never change my decision to take him in for anything. But he's a pain in the tush (SO messy!). But his ears! And nose!

I hope I made myself clear.

"forking vegans" ~~linanil

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:41 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

His little gray paws! He is awesome. I don't have any bunny roommates, but they are my favorite. Best of luck to you and Nooch!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:09 pm 
Inflexitarian

It's never too old to neuter an animal and frankly it couldn't hurt even if he will be inside all the time. You never know, one day you might feel like letting him roam around outside and then next thing you know poof! Bunnies galore. I got mine from the shelter and he had been neutered the day before i adopted him. He's also a lionhead although they think he's a mix between a jersey wooley and a lionhead. His little mane is too cute.

Litter box training is so simple, they like to go in the same corner so just look to see what corner they're going in and put the litter box there. A big warning though, I cannot express enough how much poop these little animals can produce. My one rabbit poops more than my two goats combined on any given day. In fact Cunningham (my rabbit) poops more than my two goats and two dogs combined on any given day. It's a lot of work.

Nooch is a phenomenal name BTW.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:15 am 
Bathes in Braggs

bunnies are one of those creatures where you get back exactly what you put in. if you spend a lot of time socializing, playing with and training him, you will get a sweet, friendly, social little friend out of it. if you get busy, don't let him out a lot, forget to handle and keep up with training him, he will regress really quickly. i don't happen to think bunnies are very easy pets, really, and i've had 10. they are absolutely awesome animals, but not easy. they are pretty cheap to keep though, compared to cats and dogs.

if you are away from the house frequently, you should probably consider getting a second bunny. they are very very social creatures (like their whole brain structure is set up for social living) and will not do that well if they are alone in their cages for more than a few hours at a time. fortunately, rabbits are pretty easy to adopt for free or a small amount, so once you've saved up the money for two neutering procedures, i'd seriously consider looking for a buddy for nooch. unneutered males can get very violent with each other, so be aware of that.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:43 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Also, my bunny is 50% potty trained AT BEST. So it's not easy for all guys. And poops just go wherever, although bunny poops vacuum up easily.

Jack is an only-bunny (it was an urgent rescue), but he is bonded with the cats. They will give him licks and lay next to him. I wish we had gotten two, but life is what it is, and he is super friendly and well adjusted and everyone at the vet loves him to death.

Basically, he is a swell guy who likes to pee outside his litterbox. I miss my little man.

"forking vegans" ~~linanil

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:09 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

You might want to get him a little female friend! It's better for rabbits to live as a couple (provided he's neutered, of course!) :)

http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/care/friend.asp

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:51 pm 
Inflexitarian

Now you guys are making me think it's time for me to get another bunny so Cunningham can have a friend. The Atlanta Humane Society stopped rescuing bunnies so I guess I'll have to look for another rescue center. It was so easy to adopt from the AHS, only $40 and he was already neutered.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:56 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

he's so cute! I have zero bun knowledge, but so cute! and Nooch is an awesome name! If you get the little behbeh post more pictures!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:42 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

GuineaPig wrote:
Now you guys are making me think it's time for me to get another bunny so Cunningham can have a friend. The Atlanta Humane Society stopped rescuing bunnies so I guess I'll have to look for another rescue center. It was so easy to adopt from the AHS, only $40 and he was already neutered.

Sounds wonderful! Just remember that sometimes it isn't easy to bond two bunnies. Again, I'd suggest the House Rabbit Society on-line. They suggest having bunny "dates" to find the right bun for your bun!