| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:53 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: people who let their horses shiitake on the sidewalk
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:34 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Does anyone else encounter this? It definitely makes walking the dog more of a challenge since I have to lead her away from the "tasty treats" left behind. She never eats her own shiitake, so it freaked me out the first time she did it but I read on the internets it is not that uncommon.

boychucker.blogspot.com
twitter

Post subject: Re: people who let their horses shiitake on the sidewalk
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:11 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

Where do you live? People have horses walking around on sidewalks?!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:43 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

In the summertime, my favorite hiking and mountain biking trails are always covered in horse crepe. No disrespect horse people, and I will always yield to you on a trail (especially if I have a bike or a dog), but why don't you pick up horse poop?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:36 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I used to ride horses, and yeah, it's gross, but I'm not really sure what the riders could do. When the horses want to poop, they poop. Often you don't even notice, because they can do it without breaking stride. And it's not like they make poop bags for horses! You'd have to somehow carry a shovel with you, and then dismount when the horse pooped, shovel it up and then put it where?

On the upside it biodegrades pretty quickly, and doesn't stink like dog shiitake. I really have no idea why it would be all over the sidewalks though! Are people really riding horses up and own the sidewalks all day?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:54 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

raspberrycomplaint wrote:
And it's not like they make poop bags for horses!

Actually, they do! Simpler versions are net-like and catch the dry goods. It's what you'll see often with mounted officers. More industrial vinyl bags are used on many carriage horses for both wet and dry.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:52 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

mel c wrote:

Actually, they do! Simpler versions are net-like and catch the dry goods. It's what you'll see often with mounted officers. More industrial vinyl bags are used on many carriage horses for both wet and dry.

Yeah! And I have definitely see people on trails with those. And a popular hiking trail is much busier than say, the sidewalk in front of my house on a given day. And it does stink! And it's gross when there are lots of piles on a mountain bike trail, because if you can't avoid it your tire kicks it up all over you.

I get what you're saying about where to put it, but dog owners deal with the same thing. I hate hiking with a backpack, but I do it when we have the dogs with us so that I have a place to put poop. On a three or four hour hike, they might each poop two or three times, which means I have a backpack full of poop, but hey, it's the polite thing to do.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:57 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

Dude, horse shiitake stinks.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:02 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Back when I rode, I used to dismount and kick it off the trail. I wouldn't expect anyone to carry 10-20 lbs of manure around with them for half a day.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:14 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

mel c wrote:

That's interesting! The most I've seen is a plastic trash bag tied to a carriage horse's tail. The mounted police and park rangers around here sure don't use them. I wonder how difficult it is to change a horse diaper!

Fee wrote:
Dude, horse shiitake stinks.

That's funny, I can't smell it at all. I don't think herbivores like horses and bunnies and deer have smelly poop, but dog and cat poop smells awful to me.

And yeah, horses poop waaay too much to carry around in a backpack or shopping bag!

My dog loves to eat horse poop, bunny poop, deer poop, sheep poop etc. She's a gross dog, but it doesn't bother me anymore. I just don't kiss her on the mouth.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:35 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

mel c wrote:
Back when I rode, I used to dismount and kick it off the trail. I wouldn't expect anyone to carry 10-20 lbs of manure around with them for half a day.

This never even occurred to me, but it would be awesome if people would do it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:38 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

paprikapapaya wrote:
Where do you live? People have horses walking around on sidewalks?!

I live in a suburb that used to mostly be farms and dairies so a few blocks over there are still some homes with horse property. I used to see one man take his horses out once in a while, but now it seems like it's more frequent, as is the shiitake. I know it is probably a pain to pick up after a horse, if it went in the street it wouldn't bother me as much I guess.

boychucker.blogspot.com
twitter