| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: what to do about a mouse
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:53 am 
Wears Pleather Undies

Hi everyone,

Any ideas of a completely uncruel way to remove a mouse from my apartment? At first, I just sealed up my all our food and tried to let her be, hoping she would wander off and find a better food source than my cabinets. But a couple days ago, we caught her trying to dig a hole in our kitchen floor, and yesterday we found droppings on my clean cutting board, so I guess she's got to go.

My husband wants to use a humane trap and then let her free at the park a few blocks from our apartment. Maybe I'm being overly emotional, but I'm worried that we would be separating her from her family, particularly baby mice that might depend on her. I realize this probably sounds a little ridiculous, but I'm really worked up about it! Any advice?

Post subject: Re: what to do about a mouse
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:09 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Peppermint oil drives mice away!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:22 am 
Wears Pleather Undies

Thanks, Olives! We have been using peppermint oil, but is hasn't worked very well so far... but maybe we're not doing it right. That would be a perfect solution--I just want the mouse to retreat back into the my walls instead of coming out into my kitchen!

How and where do you recommend using it?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:49 am 
Level 7 Vegan

I am not a pro, but I would think that living in your walls is probably not a safe thing for you or the mouse - what if she chews on wires? Is there a reason not to use a humane trap and release her far from your place?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:19 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

You don't know that this is a female mouse, or that if it is she has young. I would say that you should take action now, because where one mouse is, others may follow, and then you'll have a much bigger problem and more ethical dilemmas.

You can get plug in things that make a noise mice supposedly don't like. If you already have mice the noise-makers don't seem to drive them away, but once you've got rid of the mouse or mice currently in your house, they might deter further mice from trying to set up home. Yes to keeping all food in mouse-proof containers, but mice will eat things that we don't consider food, e.g. newspapers! I would say try to think about this rationally and make a decision about whether you want to deal with this before it gets out of hand or not, get some humane traps and set them up when you can check them regularly. Also, mice get wise to these, but there are also some home-made humane traps you can make involving kitchen-towel inner tubes baited with peanut butter which apparently work after mice have learnt to avoid commercial traps.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:34 am 
Level 7 Vegan

The most important thing to do about mice, after (humanely) trapping them is to

1. Find out where they got in
2. Plug the holes in #1, they can fit through any hole the size of a dime
3. Take away their incentive to get in : water, food..

In regards to #2 there is a spray you can get from your hardware store that looks like shaving cream, but hardens when it dries. Before spraying, put mint soaked steel wool into the whole. Mice hate chewing on it, so if there is steel wool in front of the hardened foam they will not try to get back in that way.

Mice often get in via the bathroom or kitchen sink pipes, by crawling up the outside of the pipe. If there is a gap between the pipe and cabinets under your sink, those gaps should be filled.

If you have a persisting problem it might be worth it to call in an exterminator just to find the holes you need to fix, they are fairly good about identifying them.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:55 am 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

I've had good luck with humane traps in the past. I used peanut butter as bait, and it worked well. I had a whole family of mice in my garage and trapped a whole bunch of them. I drove them out to a field and released them.

After cleaning out the garage, I realized they had gone after a super old bag of M&Ms. I threw that out and never had a mouse problem after that.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:10 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Also important to keep in mind is that you need to release the mouse at least a mile away from your home or they will find their way back.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:40 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

Thanks for your help, everyone. You guys are right-- I need to try to be rational and less emotional about this. I guess I've just grown a little attached to her/it/them! In any case, we've stopped up all the gaps we can find (by the radiator, along pipes, etc.) and put peppermint oil everywhere we can, but she keeps coming back.

We got a humane trap today-- Central Park is about a mile from our place, so I guess we'll release her there. Seems like a good home for a city mouse--she'll have all the food scraps she could ever want.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:53 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Remember that mice and rats will chew on wires which can cause a fire. In addition, they can introduce diseases into your home. There are plenty of good reasons for wanting to keep your house rodent free.