| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 847 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 34  Next
 Post subject: Re: Garden Chat
PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:06 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

no, i think it should be fine. maybe on the edge, but at least you'll have it for next year either way.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:11 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

Tofulish wrote:
Would you just pull them up then? I don't see our zucchini giving anything more at this point, and it might be useful to pull it up and use the space for more kale or something?

Yes, pull them up if you have something else to go in there. Do nurseries in your area sell starts for fall planting? You might get a better fall harvest from starts rather than seed at this point. But other quickies from seed could be arugula, turnip or mustard greens, maybe lettuce?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:08 pm 
Inflexitarian

Anybody know how to tell when a butternut squash is ready to harvest? Two of mine look close. The skin as gotten very dark and the fruit is firm all over, and most of the leaves around it have fallen off or are in the process of doing so.

Here's a photo of one of them, the other is nearly identical:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:20 pm 

looks good to me. i have been lazy, and i've left one that had formed before the other ones on the vine, and that one has gotten interestingly even more dark than the others. no harm in leaving it on the vine longer if you aren't planning on eating it right away, though.

and if you plan on storing it, don't forget to leave it to cure a little off the vine before bringing it inside. (everything i've read said 2 weeks, if my memory is correct.)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 3:02 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

That is a beautiful looking squash, Tea!

Has anyone here ever grafted an avocado tree? I have a tree that is big enough to graft, I have a source for a graft, and have watched lots of youtube videos but I've never done it before so I'm a little freaked out! I don't want to hurt my sweet little avocado tree.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:03 pm 
Inflexitarian

supercarrot wrote:
looks good to me. i have been lazy, and i've left one that had formed before the other ones on the vine, and that one has gotten interestingly even more dark than the others. no harm in leaving it on the vine longer if you aren't planning on eating it right away, though.

and if you plan on storing it, don't forget to leave it to cure a little off the vine before bringing it inside. (everything i've read said 2 weeks, if my memory is correct.)

How does curing work? Is it literally just leaving the harvested squash outside in the sun for a couple of weeks?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:36 pm 

yep.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:09 am 
Seagull of the PPK

i just went to get seeds for kale, chard, etc and was told that the seed companies come and take everything away!! i had to buy my seeds online because i waited too long. whoops. seeds coming to be planted this week (today is cold but we're supposed to get a week of warmth now).

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:16 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Tea wrote:
Anybody know how to tell when a butternut squash is ready to harvest? Two of mine look close. The skin as gotten very dark and the fruit is firm all over, and most of the leaves around it have fallen off or are in the process of doing so.

Here's a photo of one of them, the other is nearly identical:

what an absolutely gorgeous looking butternut, which also happens to be my favorite squash. i love them! but I suck at growing them because I have truly horrible squash bug problems. I managed to get 2 off of my vines this year before billions of squash bugs destroyed the rest. Do you have ANY ideas for natural squash bug deterrent/repellant?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:00 pm 
Inflexitarian

No idea! I've been lucky enough to not get squash bugs. I was growing a bunch of pumpkin plants and all except two of those have died, but I'm pretty sure that was vine borers. One of my butternut plants died but the squash on it was already sufficiently ripe to harvest and eat. (I have three more butternut plants, though only two of them are fruiting)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:57 pm 
Inflexitarian

I had been leaving the squash on the vine for a bit longer, but now it is time to harvest no matter what because the vine got ran over by a cart carrying a fridge.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:19 pm 

awww. well, if there was ever a time for the fridge cart to run it over, this is it. :-)

if you have any others that are unripe on that arm, you can bury it and it'll probably sprout some roots.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:33 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I'm growing lettuces and they're doing great but they're covered in aphids! I'm being a not very good vegan and spraying the plants with a soap solution to keep their population in check, but now I'm at the point of harvesting my lettuce and I don't know how to do it. Is there an easy way to clean aphids off of lettuce that doesn't involve me hand washing them off every leaf? I'm feeling pretty squicked out about finding aphids in my salad.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:44 pm 

couroupita wrote:
I'm growing lettuces and they're doing great but they're covered in aphids! I'm being a not very good vegan and spraying the plants with a soap solution to keep their population in check, but now I'm at the point of harvesting my lettuce and I don't know how to do it. Is there an easy way to clean aphids off of lettuce that doesn't involve me hand washing them off every leaf? I'm feeling pretty squicked out about finding aphids in my salad.

That's happened to me a few times too! I have a big metal bowl that I use for washing all my greens, letting them soak for a few minutes and then swishing well. You might need to do dump the water and redo it all a couple of times. Or try it with warm water and salt...

Sometimes when leafy stuff gets too buggy, I destroy most of the leaves, clean off the few remaining and keep closer tabs as they grow back, but it is labor-intensive.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:49 pm 

well! the procrastinator i am, i have about 5 hours until it reaches freezing tonight and i'm on the computer.

i guess it's about time i go out and harvest the last of my tomatoes and peppers and that bigazz zucchini i was keeping on the vine for seeds.

at least i disconnected my water timers yesterday. :-p the hoses themselves will need to wait until another day.

oh! also, a few weeks ago we hauled some bagged mulch to finally cover the other half of our lawn with boxes/mulch, and i neglected to bring a tarp to lay it on. gah! the SUV still smells horrible.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:18 pm 
Nailed to the V

I have indoor cacti and I read that after (or starting in?) November, these plants should not be watered until March, for their dormancy period. I'm having the hardest time not watering them.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:35 pm 

I have one unknown cactus, plus a Christmas cactus, which I don't know if that really qualifies. I probably water them every 3 weeks during winter, when I remember, and they haven't died in 10+ years. My common sense - rather than real knowledge - makes me think that if your house is warm in winter, they won't go completely dormant? Unlike amaryllis, or bulbs which obviously die back.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:31 am 

but the southwest doesn't really get all that cold either. (it's probably has more to do with light level. i don't feel like googling it. :-p)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:18 am 
Inflexitarian

Dug up the rutabagas yesterday! We were a bit late, since the ground was frozen and we had to crack it out with a hoe, and then wedge the slabs of frozen dirt up with a shovel, and then get the rutabagas out by stomping on the giant chunks of frozen dirt with our boots... but we got them out. None of them were very large, but there were a lot of them. We weren't sure how long they'd last since they had already been frozen, so we cooked them the same day and they were pretty delicious!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:18 pm 

Supercarrot - good point about light levels.

Tea - you get really cold up there! I can leave rutabagas and parsnips in the ground all winter w/o damage, but carrots and beets deteriorate pretty quickly if we get a serious freeze and I haven't mulched them in with a foot of leaves/compost. That was threatening this last week, so I dug up the rest of my carrots, plus some of my more tender cabbages and am storing them in damp leaves in a sheltered spot. I also harvested a lot of kale leaves for temporary storage too. We get bitter cold winds that dessicate all the above-ground veggies when it is frozen.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:29 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

My first year trying to keep late summer carrots and beetroot in the ground. I've covered them with a deep'ish layer of straw and so far so good, mind you we're having a strange winter here so far, 12º here today, even warmer earlier in the week. Not complaining!

Chools

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:35 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Possums celebrated new years by eating all my chilli plants :( Now I have a bunch of sticks in pots, hopefully they grow back ok.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:22 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Our furry friends. Mice ate all the peas I planted in our polytunnel, left me a few small pea shoots which are not going to grow into anything :(

Chools

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:43 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

My garden was totally forking demolished. I knew it was going to happen, and it's okay, but damn. It's not clear where my giant compost pile went, that's how big of a mess this was. I should have taken pictures before and after, but then i'd probably cry!!

Every day I have a slow schedule, I'm turning over another bed. So far, two done. Just got the basics put in (lettuce, nappa cabbage, scallions, parsley, and the herbs). The only thing that survived was collards and shiso. Oh, and two asparagus did make it but I accidentally pulled them out. D'oh!
Yesterday when I weedwacked I saw a giant tarantula, a snake, and a baby monitor type lizard. God only knows what the fork is in there. Lots of very happy birds today.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:03 pm 

Torque, glad you're getting back into your garden so quickly. It's amazing how fast gardens revert to nature.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 847 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 34  Next