| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:34 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5424 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 169, 170, 171, 172, 173, 174, 175 ... 217  Next
 Post subject: Re: And what are we reading now?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:07 am 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

Just started Divergent by Veronica Roth

π

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:32 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Padraigin wrote:
blondiefk wrote:
Do you have more recommendations for classic sci fi? I never know what's worth reading.

I had the same challenge - so many choices. In addition to reading more books by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, I've decided to go waaay back in the Science Fiction short story classics (1930's-1970's).

Depends on your definition of classic sci fi and what you like to read. I'd add E.E. 'Doc' Smith to the list and maybe Poul Anderson. May I also recommend Vector Analysis by Jack C. Haldeman, just because I thought it was kinda cool? If you like anthologies there are a few good stories in 50 Short Science Fiction Tales edited by Isaac Asimov.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:40 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Hardy's Far From the Madding Crowd after reading a review in a Slightly Foxed Quarterly ...

https://foxedquarterly.com/

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:56 am 
Seagull of the PPK

I forgot I can participate in this thread since I have good book access now!!

Just finished Gulp by Mary Roach, which has spawned a Mary Roach readathon.
It was so funny that I made my kid read it after me, just because the poop joke quotient increased throughout the book til i was giggling in bed at night reading it.
Started The Brief and Wonderful Life of Oscar Wao, which I am really enjoying.
picked up Pinker's Why violence is decreasing or whatever it was called and couldn't get through it. i used to read everything he wrote, religiously, but this one just was terminally boring- not the content so much as the tone.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:11 am 
Has Isa on speed dial

torque wrote:
Started The Brief and Wonderful Life of Oscar Wao, which I am really enjoying.

I saw this in the library recently and thought about getting it - maybe I'll pick up a copy next time I'm there.

I've just finished 'People of the Book' by Geraldine Brooks, which I really loved in parts - it's a book that explores the history of a religious text, so it dips back into different historic periods to tell the story of the people who made/owned/protected the book at various points in time. Those parts are fascinating and, as someone who loves books, quite moving. However, the parts set in the modern day are less engaging and the main character is just a bit annoying and seems to be written with none of the nuance of the other characters. Nevertheless I think I'd recommend it.

Next I'm going to read Truman Capote's 'In Cold Blood'.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:30 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

after reading "the plague" i tried to find a book that was less depressing on my book shelf... and uh... a lot of my books are rather sad-ish, I found. So I picked a radiohead biography ("exit music" by Mac Randall) Ive never read before and its bad, really bad. The worst is that Im reading it in German and the translation is so horrible. How can stuff like this slip? Literally translating stuff word for word is just so, urgh.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:24 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

VeganinBerlin, I suffer from this same malady. The books I tend to be drawn to and are really impactful to me are all depressing. I need to find some happy reads.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:56 am 
WELFARIST!

Errol Flynn's autobiography My Wicked, Wicked Ways. I'm nearly halfway through the book and he hasn't even started acting in movies yet! I like the book in the sense that it's interesting and keeping me reading (he has a fairly cheerfully amoral narrative), but even hedonism dulls after a while. I really am reading it for movie tidbits and the like more than anything else--not so much his own story.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:58 pm 

The Affinity Bridge by George Mann. A little more fantasy than I usually like, but it's actually quite good.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:32 am 
Has Isa on speed dial

I just finished 'In Cold Blood' as part of my mission to read more non-fiction. It was excellent, I'd really recommend it to anyone who hasn't read it yet. The first part of the book leads up to the murders of the Clutter family members, and is just so chilling - I read it before bed and certainly had trouble getting to sleep afterwards. The rest of the book follows the murderers on their travels, the detectives closing in on them and the following trial. It's interesting how Capote portrays the killers and really tries to get to grips with their characters and why they turned out as they did, and how their motive, connection to the victims and the truth about that night is eventually revealed.

After finishing it I rented 'Capote', the film that Phillip Seymour Hoffman won an Oscar for - I think that's actually added another dimension to my enjoyment of the book.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:28 am 

I just finished Severed heads, broken hearts (UK title)/The beginning of everything (title everywhere else) by Robyn Schneider.
I'm thinking of rereading Lard of the Rings next or maybe something by Stephen King or maybe something none fiction like Arnold Schwarzenegger's biography

π

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:21 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I had to go to the mall Friday and get pieces for my new work uniform and I saw MaddAddam was on sale for 40 off and I am a weak weak person.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:01 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I just started The Big Over Easy by Jasper Fforde.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:46 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

I can't really put my finger on why, but I am not loving Madaddam :(

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:51 pm 

fruitbat wrote:
The Affinity Bridge by George Mann. A little more fantasy than I usually like, but it's actually quite good.

Well. I think the editor fell asleep halfway through because it was decidedly sloppy by the end and even the author seemed to have forgotten what he was doing. Too bad, since the beginning showed promise of a quick entertaining read. I guess I now know why my library doesn't have the rest of the series...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:15 am 

Every Day by David Levithan

π

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:02 am 

I picked up George R. R. Martin's collection of short stories, Dreamsongs: A RRetrospective: Book One, at the library last week. I'm only halfway through and it's so good! I never realised that he's written and published so much science fiction type work as well as the fantasy stuff.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:58 am 

I just finished reading Breath Eyes Memory by Edwidge Danticat. I really enjoyed her writing style and the women characters and their setting (Haiti) just wonderful, but much the subject matter was very triggering for me - so I'll avoid something this intense for a bit.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:30 pm 
WELFARIST!

jennyc wrote:
I just finished 'In Cold Blood' as part of my mission to read more non-fiction. It was excellent, I'd really recommend it to anyone who hasn't read it yet.

Brilliant book. Love it so much.

I do not like Errol Flynn. His book is actually quite appalling--his attitude to women in particular. He does not see them as individuals at all--it's quite striking. It would never be published in these days what he's written, honestly. No way. Maybe a tongue-in-cheek comedian type like Russell Brand could get away with it but they'd have to say they were only joking. Some publicity rep would have to talk anyone out of saying such things today in print lest they be Mel Gibsonned all over da place. But that sort of already happened to Flynn during and long, long after his 1942 rape trial so I figure he figured he had nothing to lose. He hates comedians. HATES them. He was the butt of their every joke for the rest of his sorry life, apparently.

He's no Richard Burton, I tell you what.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:49 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I finally finished the Tesla book. It was good, but the science-y bits were dense. Also, I didn't realise until I finished it that it was written in the 80s and never updated. It was talking about some of his ideas with wireless communications and said, yes, we've seen some of that come to pass with television. I wish there had been an update with information about the state of his work up to nowish.

After all that science, I needed something fluffy, so I got two true crime novels. I think I failed at my goal. (They were on reserve at the library when I returned my book today.)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:00 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

i am on a Mary Roach binge. I read Gulp, now Bonk, will have to go back and reread Stiff, and there is another I haven't read yet.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:34 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Just finished: Two Boys Kissing by David Leviathan and Nerd Do Well by Simon Pegg (audio book)
Now reading: Forgive Me, Leonard Peacock by Matthew Quick
Now listening to: Tess of the D'Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy

emmalv wrote:
Just curious, how do you all pick your next reads?

Goodreads and other book bloggers :)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:52 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

Kitteh wrote:
Now listening to: Tess of the D'Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy

Next on my TBR list! (ok, maybe not top priority, but very close)
I'm currently reading Jude the Obscure and I just love it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:50 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

Currently I'm reading Bones are Forever by Kathy Reichs, but I picked up In Cold Blood from the library today (on the recommendation of this thread!) and I'm really looking forward to it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:18 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5424 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 169, 170, 171, 172, 173, 174, 175 ... 217  Next