| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:50 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 992 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 ... 40  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Eats World
PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:15 am 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

To add that the salad was actually almost better two days later, the onion taste was much much less pronounced.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:22 am 
WELFARIST!

dragonssister wrote:
I made the adobo and I was a little alarmed by the amount of soy sauce. It may be authentic but next time I will cut it with some water. It absorbed the flavors into the potatoes and tofu really well though.

This is the only recipe I've tried thus far that I didn't like very much. It might have to do with the fact that I used seitan when I would have liked it better with tofu.

I love a lot of recipes from this book. I really like the Seitan Bo Bun Noodle salad. It's my favorite thus far! I also really liked the Andean Bean Stew, the take-out stir fry with shittake and greens and the fried rice is super good. I love the Savory Baked tofu--it's my standby all-purpose tofu now (for sammiches and recipes from this book, etc).

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:40 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

Love the shakshuka we've had it twice so far and am making it this week again. The green tahini sauce is fantastic on falafel too. We've done falafel twice this past week just to have the sauce.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:28 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

I finally made the shakshuka. it was very VERY good. I loved it. Unfortunately, my partner hates onions and peepers :( well too bad for him! he does love eggplant though. Maybe I can make it next time with more eggplant, less pepper or something. I put some chickpeas in it too, that was a nice option.

Ok, the Tahini sauce. I did double it, since I am making falafel this week, but I still followed the recipe EXACTLY just doubled.

It was SUPER GARLIC sauce. I love garlic. Hell, I usually double it in most recipes. but this was inedible. I had to mix in some miso and tofutti sour cream to bring it down to a level I could stand.

Anyone else have this problem?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:51 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I really liked the adobo, but I used low sodium soy sauce. It was a crazy amount of soy sauce, but somehow it worked. I did use tofu and I did all the toppings including banana.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:50 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Chicki wrote:
I finally made the shakshuka. it was very VERY good. I loved it. Unfortunately, my partner hates onions and peepers :( well too bad for him! he does love eggplant though. Maybe I can make it next time with more eggplant, less pepper or something. I put some chickpeas in it too, that was a nice option.

Ok, the Tahini sauce. I did double it, since I am making falafel this week, but I still followed the recipe EXACTLY just doubled.

It was SUPER GARLIC sauce. I love garlic. Hell, I usually double it in most recipes. but this was inedible. I had to mix in some miso and tofutti sour cream to bring it down to a level I could stand.

I remember it being pretty garlicky. I don't remember how many it calls for, but I almost always keep the garlic at one or two small cloves when it's raw in a condiment like that. Like, pretty sure I still had garlic mouth the morning after, even after brushing my teeth before bed.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:31 am 
WELFARIST!

creep wrote:
Chicki wrote:

I remember it being pretty garlicky. I don't remember how many it calls for, but I almost always keep the garlic at one or two small cloves when it's raw in a condiment like that. Like, pretty sure I still had garlic mouth the morning after, even after brushing my teeth before bed.

Yeah, anytime raw garlic is involved, I do the same. I can't handle more than one medium sized raw clove.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:32 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

I got vew for christmas last year but have made very little from it still as I find it to be kind of overwhelming. Mostly just overwhelming in the sense that I'll earmark a bunch of recipes I want to make, not have the exact ingredients on hand needed, intend to plan on picking them up/finding them, forget to do that, repeat cycle. Anyways, I've been lurking this forum hard and feel inspired!

I made the massaman curry back when I first got it and felt pretty let down by it. I love massaman curry, and it just didn't do it for me, although I think that might have had something to do with the pre mixed garam masala that I had on hand, which I've found I just don't like. I bought the stuff to make my own from the spice blends for the next time! I also added the grape tomatoes at the end because I tend to be a recipe follower, and even though I love tomatoes I haaaated them in it. Oh! And like I saw someone else mention, when I made the savory tofu for that I remember that the marinade got super burn-ey in the dish. I was using a large glass pan (13x9? I'm bad with measurments) and next time I'll use a smaller one. My other early try was the belgian seitan beer stew thing with potatoes. My husband LOVED this one, it got a little too meaty for me. Oh! And I made the naan once to go with a curry (probably something from AFR) and felt like a magician making naan at home so easily.

This weekend I made the pastichio with the greek village salad with cashew faux feta on the side (which was a last minute addition because I saw it in the picture with the pastichio and realized I had all of the ingredients on hand). It was all AMAZING. I only had the trader joe's vacuum packed silken tofu on hand, which is a little less than a fresh pack I think, but it all still turned out great. I also added the eggplant (I agree that I thought it was weird that it's in the title but listed as a variation) and I don't think I would make it without. And I really loved the salad, much more than I thought I would. My husband had three servings of it all the first night we had it, and after finishing it for leftovers he said, "I am so sad there's no more of that." I think it's definitely a weekend meal, but it was a lot less work than the intro to the recipe made it sound. Especially if you're like me and end up cooking involved things from vcon on weeknights sometimes.

Last night I made the chipotle tofu cemita sandwiches for dinner, because I vaguely remembered reading on here somewhere that someone recommended them & when I was flipping through after work I realized I had everything on hand aside from the rolls. We ate them on bread and it got real messy real fast, but still amazing. I had some of the leftover tofu chopped up in my salad for lunch today and it was pretty great, I would make that again on it's own as it was easy and seems like it could be pretty versatile.

Others I want to try ASAP - kimchi pancakes, the bibimbap, the greek lemon rice soup, pad see ew, drunken noodles, the seitan, sesame, almond tagine, the deluxe mafe....I don't think I've ever even properly looked through the dessert section.

also: related/unrelated, hey ppk boards! I've been lurking for what feels like forever & I've resolved to posting more.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:45 pm 
WELFARIST!

Welcome, heather! I agree, the pastistio (I made the Greek village salad with it too) was a huge hit with my meat-eating friends. Super yum and perfect dish for company.

I love this book but sometimes the special ingredients hold me back from using it as much as I could but then again, I wind up subbing straight up soy sauce for the distinctive types Terry calls for here and there and I find the dishes are still fabulous and I don't know the difference.

If you love this book you should also check out Viva Vegan! which is another terrific book by Terry that already dog-eared from me using it so much. Not so many special ingredients in that one (although there are a few but I found them easily in Kensington and/or St. Lawrence Markets in Toronto). You should be able to find stuff easily in Brooklyn too.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:01 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

I'm excited. I just ordered this cookbook. I'll post what I've tried, after I peruse it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:49 pm 

seitanicverses wrote:
If you love this book you should also check out Viva Vegan! which is another terrific book by Terry that already dog-eared from me using it so much. Not so many special ingredients in that one (although there are a few but I found them easily in Kensington and/or St. Lawrence Markets in Toronto). You should be able to find stuff easily in Brooklyn too.

I love viva vegan! Man, Terry is great.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:38 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

I made the chickpea ginger tomato stew... I LOVE THIS! I made it twice, first time I used sriracha, and the last time I used jalapenos... this is really great! Over some rice and with a salad on the side... awesome! My favorite recipe is still the marinated cucumbers which my friends absolutely loved!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:18 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

Go make the Massaman Curry now! It's so forking good. Plus, it lacks a lot of "exotic" ingredients so it's supermarket friendly.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:39 pm 
Nailed to the V

I just made a bunch of stuff from this book so I thought I would share. I did the Ginger Peanut Squash Soup...threw in some TVP and quinoa to bulk it up a bit. Love, love, loved it! Sooo comforting and very easy. It doesn't call for anything exotic, and it came together fast.

I also made the Sauerkraut Mushroom Soup, along with the Coriander Rye Muffins and the Sour Dilly Cream. This whole meal turned out absolutely perfect. The muffins are fabulous on their own, but when you pair them with the soup it really complements it. I added soy curls to the soup instead of the seitan that she suggests as a variation, and I really liked them in this. I'd never added the curls to a soup before and I wasn't sure how it would work, but it was great!

Lastly, I made the Spicy Sesame Sambal to use later. It wasn't the easiest for me to blend up, but that was partially my fault because I didn't follow the recipe directions exactly as I should have. But I kinda like the fact that there's still whole sesame seeds in the sambal; it gives it a nice texture. The taste is amazing, though; I should bottle and sell the stuff!

Continuing to adore this book!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:37 pm 

I made the Black Bean Soup with Roasted Poblanos and Pickled Onions (I think that's what it's called). Loved it! I did the quick version with canned beans...next time I want to cook the beans from scratch--it is such a simple recipe and really good, home cooked beans will make it even better. I also made the excellent sweet cornbread from Vegan Diner.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:25 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I made the aji Amarillo squash soup cause I love that paste but it was too spicy for me to eat very much of. It was so sad cause it made a lot & I thought I'd eat it all week. Super easy and pretty healthy though if you love things hot.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:13 am 
Nailed to the V

Over the weekend, I made the Punky Pumpkin Kibbe as well as the Black-Eyed Pea Cakes. Both greatly exceeded my expectations! My husband and I both thought the Black-Eyed Pea Cakes tasted like crab cakes, and the pumpkin kibbe was just a big hunk of yum. I've been looking for excuses to pumpkin-ify my meals now that it's fall, and this was perfect.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:28 am 

I could do some serious digging in here to find out, but I'm at work and also feeling lazy - has anyone made the eggplant parm from in here? I'm going to make it this week with some end of the summer eggplants. Any tips or suggestions? I'm excited about making an eggplant part that doesn't involved a whole bag of mozz daiya!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:29 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I made the eggplant shakshuka with green sauce for the first time since testing and had forgotten how good it was. It kind of looks on paper like ratatouille which I loathe, but it isn't at all. I added a can of butterbeans instead of the optional suggested chickpeas, just because I generally eat less of them than chickpeas, and loved it. I think I cut down the garlic in the sauce because I am not great with raw garlic.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:47 am 

I ended up making the eggplant parm (mostly mediterranean eggplant parmigiana i think) last night - I had intended to make it later in the week, but didn't make it to the grocery store after work yesterday and had everything in the house for this. I really, really liked it, but would make a few slight adjustments next time I make it. There are definitely a few errors in the recipe - at the beginning of the instructions to put together it says (after the first layer of eggplant is placed), pour remaining sauce over eggplant. Then, after the second layer of eggplant it says again, pour remaining sauce over eggplant. I was kind of rushing and not fully thinking when I was putting it together (all of the pre-roasting of the eggplant took longer than I realized it would, so I wasn't putting it together until about 8:20pm, before the 45 mins needed in the oven. whoops), so I just followed the recipe as written and dumped all the rest of my sauce after that first layer. If I hadn't been rushing, obviously I would have seen it mentioned again as a later step, and right after I added it all I did realize that when I'd read the recipe through at the beginning I made note of her comment about not stressing if the top cashew layer mixed a bit with the sauce. Anyways, not the end of the world, but next time I'll assemble with sauce on top of the second layer of eggplant. I was also really unsure of the oven temp, and would be curious to hear if anyone has any thoughts on this. After saying at the beginning of the recipe to put the oven to 425 for roasting the eggplant, there is never another mention of the temp - whether to lower it or not. 425 seemed really high to me for the casserole for 45 minutes, so I started it at 375, then doubted myself and turned it back to 425 after 10 mins, and then after checking on it with 10 mins to go and seeing how browned it was, I lowered it again and then took it out 5 mins early. So basically, I have no idea what the correct would be, probably closer to 375 for the full time?

Other notes on this recipe - I think next time I would roast my eggplant at 400 and not 425, since my slicing wasn't super precise and some pieces had thin spots, a lot of my eggplant slices got a little too charred. I used a jar of trader joe's roasted garlic tomato sauce and added the spices she mentions (1/4 tsp of cinnamon, cumin and coriander I think) as a short cut, and despite being skeptical about adding these in, I'm glad I did! They added to the dish, and the cinnamon was only slightly noticeable, and not weird as I had feared it might be. I added the full tsp of red pepper flakes, and next time I would cut this in half because the spiciness was a little much for me in this context, which I should have known because I don't like spicy tomato sauce. I also added the chickpea parm stuff she lists as being optional - I don't think I would make it without, as it was noticeable in the dish and added a lot, I thought. Oh, and next time I would grease the casserole dish with some olive oil spray before assembling. I didn't think of it at the time because it wasn't mentioned in the recipe (and I was rushing), and the top cashew layer especially really stuck to the edges.

I really liked this recipe! If this makes sense, I thought it was really rich without being heavy, like an eggplant parm full of daiya and breaded eggplant would be. We had it with quickly cooked kale on the side, and it was perfect. I don't think I would attempt in on a weeknight again though, unless all of my eggplant was roasted the night before, and my chickpea parm crumbles were already made. Then it would be a snap, and you wouldn't end up eating at 9:45.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:14 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

did anyone else's copy of this book fall apart? a big chunk of mine came unglued from the binding and now it's a pain in the asparagus to flip through :-(

also for the recipes that call for pandan leaves, are they super necessary? i found curry leaves but i havent yet found pandan leaves

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:35 am 
Frees Bunny Slippers

My copy is still fine and I've been using it quite a lot.

Whenever there's an ingredient I can't find I check foodsubs.com for substitutes, but it looks like there aren't any good ones for pandan leaves. I'd probably just leave it out. I'm sure the dishes are still tasty without it. Granted, I've never eaten pandan leaves, so I don't really know what I'm talking about. ;)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:23 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

LisaPunk wrote:
did anyone else's copy of this book fall apart? a big chunk of mine came unglued from the binding and now it's a pain in the asparagus to flip through :-(

also for the recipes that call for pandan leaves, are they super necessary? i found curry leaves but i havent yet found pandan leaves

This is one I omit too, can't seem to find it. What recipe are you eyeing? I've made a ton from this book, so I can let you know if I've made it and how it came out?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:11 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

Pretty much any of the ones with pandanus leaves but specifically:

Pumpkin coconut curry (pg 136)
Whole cashew curry (pg 140)
Sri Lankan red lentil curry (pg 142)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:50 pm 
Nailed to the V

LisaPunk wrote:
Pretty much any of the ones with pandanus leaves but specifically:

Pumpkin coconut curry (pg 136)
Whole cashew curry (pg 140)
Sri Lankan red lentil curry (pg 142)

I made the Sri Lankan red lentil curry, and I actually do have pandan leaves. The flavor is very unique and hard to explain. I guess it's almost like vanilla almost? Weird but really good. However, if you leave it out it's not like you'll know what's missing. So I don't actually think it would taste strange or wrong or anything. It's tasty!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 992 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 ... 40  Next