| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 444 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
 Post subject: Re: New Jersey! - Only the Strong Survive
PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:41 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

torque wrote:
if the farm sanctuary thing comes together in blairstown (that we talked about in the kiddie get together thread maybe?), there is a great apple-picking place that is nearby, so far they do not have any captive animals to ruin the experience. also if anyone comes up here there is a local farm that has amazing, amazing kale and other stuff (u-pick and bought) that i'd be happy to get for anyone who might want it. i'm eating a bowl of raw red russian for lunch and it's the best kale i've had here.

Would you mind letting me know the name of this u-pick farm? I need to go and buy ALL THE KALES. Thanks!

Last edited by mr.zaatar on Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:45 pm 
Semen Strong

Yes, me too! I would be up for a Kale Meet-up for sure! And we could go for dinner after at Loving Hut and drive you and FC there and back.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:40 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

The U Pick farm is Race Farms http://www.racefarmllc.com/ i just went there to pick kale and red peppers. I lived just around the corner from their farm for years and they are always great. They have a farm stand in Blairstown on Rt 94, but the U-pick is off the beaten path. They close operations on Oct 31, so make sure you get there before then!!

The other place, for apples, is Longmeadow Farms, just off of I-80, Exit 12. http://www.longmeadowfarmnj.com/

I have been going to Race's for ever (know the family, etc etc) and don't remember ever seeing any animals other than their own dogs there. Longmeadow I don't know as well, but I was just there to pick apples last week and there was no farm animal silliness. I'll be going back there next week and will try to remember to ask them if they have any plans and maybe suggest that there are plenty of people who would prefer to not see that (they do sell honey). Oh, I did see an animal there, there was a baby king snake. it was so gorgeous, and everyone was very careful to shepherd him to safety, which was nice.

During Sep 29-Oct 5 I will have a car and a license to raise hell!! Oct 5 will probably be in NYC though. And if you come to FTA please let me know, I will find a way. and loving hut.... ooh you are sweet!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:43 pm 
Semen Strong

Torque, tell us a day and we will meet you! If its just me and L we have plenty of space for you and FC in the car! Our Saturdays are generally free :)

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:06 pm 
Semen Strong

Definitely would love a NJ meet-up soon! I'd love to meet some of the new NJ PPKers!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:23 am 
Seagull of the PPK

Next For the Animals Farm sanctuary work party is Sunday, Sep 22 (see site above or their FB page). I thought it was 28 and contacted them, nope, 22. so if you're so disposed, come on down, noon to 5. usually we work til 4 and then potluck. my foccaccia was such a hit last time i may do the same, have to think about it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:27 am 
Lubes With Earth Balance

torque, my boss is longtime friends with the Races and his country house is right near their farm! Such a small small world. (Do you also know the Baileys?)
I definitely want to get out there to the Sanctuary

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:40 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

isn't that funny!! his house might be on my street! i don't know any Baileys but i might have in the past- in the 20 years i've been away (20+? wow) I have forgotten street names, people, everything. If they have a kid around 32 years of age I probably babysat them.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:40 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

isn't that funny!! his house might be on my street! i don't know any Baileys but i might have in the past- in the 20 years i've been away (20+? wow) I have forgotten street names, people, everything. If they have a kid around 32 years of age I probably babysat them.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:16 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Throwing it out there because we are talking about Blairstown. There is an awesome farm run by a bunch of renegade nuns (from clifton originally ,i believe) out there called Genesis Farms. The farm is veg and does a lot of cool educational things around sustainability. I stayed there overnight for a retreat and it would be an awesome place to have a meet up if we wanted to do a potluck picnic somewhere. Really nice walking trails and look outs, too.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:28 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

it is awesome. they are having their big fundraising dinner next weekend maybe though, so check their website. they are cool people, i remember going there to learn to make compost.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:35 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

the work party is still happening but i am sick as a dog and will be sitting this one out. anybody going to the FTA sanctuary work party, have fun and snuggle a chicken for me.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:39 pm 
Semen Strong

I am so sorry T <3 I hope you feel better!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:21 pm 
Hip Goiter

Hi Jersey! Omg I'm going to be in Jersey for daaaaaaays next week, in Morris County. Do you know of any good places to eat?Anywhere that makes green juice? I only know the name of small town I'll be staying in (which has no stores, just deer) and Morristown in the region. But anything in Morris Cty should be ok, I think. I'm so scared. I'm just kidding. I saw "Runner Runner" yesterday (so good/bad, review on blog tomorrow), and there's this amazing line Ben Affleck says, "When someone gives you the choice between 'X' and 'returning to New Jersey', the answer is always 'X'". SO MEAN!

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:36 pm 
Semen Strong

You're near Veggie Heaven Denville! Its so yummy! And they can do really good juices.

Let us know if you have any availability for a meetup!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:41 am 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

RandiJM--I pretty much never go out to eat and always make juice at home, but I'll try to help!

If you go to Veggie Heaven in Denville, kind of across the street and down the next street is a health food/natural store called Grassroots Market that has vegan essentials and has a juice bar. According to their website they have green juices. Also, it appears they have another location now in Morristown, too.

There is also another health food store on Route 23 in Butler, though that may be far from you. In any case, it's called Green Life Market and they say they have a juice bar. (I've only been there once and wasn't paying attention.)

There is a place called Loving Hut in Ledgewood. I've never been there and I'm not even sure what type of restaurant it is, but I've heard it's a vegan chain.

And, not really places to eat, but there is a Whole Foods in Madison and a Trader Joe's in Florham Park.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:18 am 
Seagull of the PPK

the loving hut there doesn't have the great selection that some of the others i have been to have (unless it's changed recently they don't have cheese steaks or some of the fun things like that) but they have noodle bowl soup like pho that is pretty awesome.
if you are going out to make the trip there, the best veggies you're likely to get in that area are just around the corner (Ledgewood Farms, a little grocery store, in that big strip mall behind the white castle and such)-- always good kale and chard and stuff.

and there is a TCBY (supposedly, i haven't managed to find it yet) near that Veggie Heaven in Denville, if you haven't had your choco almond froyo experience yet (assuming they have it)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:43 am 
protein lump

the loving hut totally has cheesesteak and burgers and mac and cheese! they had changed the menu a few months after they opened, so you were probably there in the way beginning.

morristown has a health food store (the health shoppe). they make good sandwiches and i'm pretty sure they make juices. it's another place to get essentials. there's a ton of indian and thai restaurants in the area that are good. and i've heard amazing things about the morris tap and grill in randolph (especially the avocado fillet), but i haven't gotten a chance to eat there myself. when i'm home (roxbury), i generally skip loving hut and clay oven and just go to blossom asian bistro. it's chinese, japanese, and thai. they have really good veggie dumplings and a good selection of veggie sushi. plus it's cheap and delicious.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:45 am 
protein lump

oh, also in denville: cafe metro has some vegan options and crisp is a falafel place. but, really, if you're going to denville, just go to veggie heaven.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:04 am 
Seagull of the PPK

thanks for telling me! i'm glad to hear that, it's nice to know that you can get the same things from one branch to another. we were down there recently and just decided to skip it for chinese instead but now that i know there is mac and cheese.......

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:36 am 
protein lump

the mac and cheese is gooood. they make their own cheese sauce for everything. i recommend: nachos, philly cheesesteak, and mac and cheese for a deliciously cheesy evening of food.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:54 pm 
Hip Goiter

You guys are amazing! Thank you so much for all of this information! I'm so excited now. Mostly for TCBY -- I live so far from one so I put the thought of it out of my head, just burying my dreams in the back of my memory. NOW I DON'T HAVE TO!!! Yay!

Tofulish (and whoever else!) I'm going bc it's boyfriend's annual visit to his family, so I'm not sure of the schedule, but I'll definitely try to plan or at least let you know where I might get to eat! It would be amazing if I said to boyfriend let's check this place out for lunch please, and then it was filled with PPKers! Sneak attack!

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:57 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

ever since i saw that report about elevated levels of bacteria in softserve machines, i've been freaked out to go to TCBY. :-(

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:13 pm 
Hip Goiter

Why you scare me from vegan froyo! :*(

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:55 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Just chiming in to say just go to Veggie Heaven, I could eat there every day. Although I also think Cafe Metro is alright, it is not worth making a trip just for that. I have yet to find a place in Morristown I wanted to eat at a second time, which is a shame. There are a couple of good bars, though.

If you make a trip outside of Morris County, there are two fairly close vegan cupcake shops and a vegan place near one of them that does salads and sandwiches and, most importantly, vegan soft serve that is crazy delicious. The cupcake places are Sweet Avenue in Rutherford and Pink Frosting in Verona and up the street from Pink Frosting is Positivitea, which has the soft serve. Actually I think Positivitea has juices or smoothies also.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 444 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next