| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 172 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Fall 2013 Shows - what are you watching?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:21 am 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

Hulu FINALLY put up a 'fall shows' page, but this is...really slim. Especially since they're including returning shows.

http://www.hulu.com/fall

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:58 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

elouise wrote:
I liked Sleepy Hollow!

I'm just starting it, but I think its the same writers/producers as fringe and I love me a good fish outta water story.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:39 am 
protein lump

so, dads was pretty terrible. even without taking into account the racist stuff, it just wasn't funny.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:07 am 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

so sad - it'd be great to watch seth green on tv again

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:42 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Dads is produced by Seth MacFarlane so I wouldn't touch it with a ten-foot pole.

I liked Brooklyn Nine Nine, largely because of Andre Braugher!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:34 pm 

Live action tv needs to quit doing Seth Green dirty. I'm pretty sure the last non-animated show he was on was Kings, which I think didn't even make it to a half season on NBC what, five years ago?

Brian and I watched Sleepy Hollow and liked it well enough. I'm glad it wasn't super-slapsticky with the 'holy crepe what is this strange contraption because I have been dead for 250 years' thing, in fact I don't think that dude even blinked at the sight of cars.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:58 am 
Lime and a Coconut

I liked Brooklyn 99, which is a relief, because I wasn't holding out a lot of hope for the whole fall season in general.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:09 am 

Always go in with high hopes, and always prepare for them to be dashed all over the rocks.

So Brian and I watched Dads and OH MY GOD. I think my "favorite" racist dad joke was when Martin MUll came in and you can't see the screen and he asks G-Ribs if he's playing 'Punch the Puerto Rican'. What. What. What does that even mean?!

http://popwatch.ew.com/2013/09/17/dads- ... recap-fox/

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:14 am 
A Bad Person

Dads is forking awful. Even beyond the laziest race jokes I've ever heard, it fails to make any jokes at all! And the laugh track is pretty much constant. It's like the person controlling the laugh track didn't know where the jokes were (I certainly didn't) and just inserted laughter after every sentence. I want to hope that, secretly, that person also hates Dads and has done their part to make it even worse by over doing the laugh track.

I didn't find any part of Dads funny. I found plenty of it uncomfortable, but mostly because I couldn't understand how anyone could find it funny. The non-jokes surrounded by disembodied laughter kind of create this nightmare situation in which everyone is having a good time except me. I feel like I'm watching a show in which I understand the language being used, but I can't comprehend the culture in which this is a funny show.

If this is some brilliant plan to create the feeling of being an immigrant in an unfamiliar culture, then it might actually be working. Otherwise, I have to question whether the writers even know what funny is. I fully understood all of the racist, sexist, and ageist jokes, but none of them were funny. It's really discomforting to watch.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:25 am 
A Bad Person

Hey, but you know what was a good show? Siberia. It started off like a Survivor type reality show, and ditched most of that junk by the end and turned into some cross between the Blair Witch and Lost. It's weird, and it's got mystery, and it pretends to have a basis in reality by actually killing characters, and I like that.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:12 pm 
Semen Strong

mrsbadmouth wrote:
Live action tv needs to quit doing Seth Green dirty.

Yes! He is so funny and warm and such a great actor, I wish he could get a vehicle for all his awesomeness. I just want him back on my screen (ideally as some version of Oz and Dingoes Ate My Baby).

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:24 pm 
rowdily playing checkers

Seth Green needs to remove himself from Seth MacFarlane's orbit. That guy is weirdly indestructible, considering how much unfunny low-brow shiitake he produces.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:15 pm 

Congratulations on the rare achievement of having a 0% rating on Rotten Tomatoes, Dads!

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/dads/

I'm eagerly awaiting everyone involved to stop defending the racism and start defending how unfunny it is. Or is the joke that it's so unfunny?

It's weird because when I don't like something i'm usually just like, "Eh, it's not for me." and when I like something that people think is terrible, I don't care about that either. But as a tv viewer, I am utterly offended that such a piece of dog shiitake made it through writing, the actors, producers, and director, editing, the pilot process, and the network and no one stepped back and said, "Wow. This is really terrible. Can we rewrite like every other sentence?" No, instead they were like "LAUGH TRACK. LAUGH TRACK AT EVERY POSSIBLE INSTANCE."

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:42 pm 

you are kind of making me want to watch how bad it is, but i don't think i can because I know exactly what you guys mean about the extreme laugh track with nothing funny and I know that would make me go insane.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:01 pm 
rowdily playing checkers

The harshest review on Rotten Tomatoes: "[it] might have been a better fit on CBS."

Ouch.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:41 pm 

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/maureen-r ... 54024.html

A list of all of the comedies you should avoid this fall, starting with Dads.

Brian and I watched The Goldbergs pilot, it was okay. I'll probably give it 1-2 more episodes before I decide if I want to keep watching it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:48 pm 

Oh, and I watched Trophy Wife and liked it. This sounds stupid, but I didn't realize it was only a 22 minute show so that's why I gave it a chance. I'll watch almost anything once if it's only 22 minutes long. And Bradley Whitford.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:38 pm 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

Trophy Wife looks okayish. From that list the only show I want to watch is Super Fun Night. On a Rebel Wilson note, I just watched Bridesmaids, and holy crepe that movie stressed me out. Except for the Irish guy, because he was kind of cute.

Re: 22 minute shows, Awkward is 22 minutes of pure awesome, which is why bastah and I watched the whole 2 1/2 seasons (34 episodes) in far less than a week.

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:41 am 
Nailed to the V

I checked out Sleepy Hollow, looked good to me.
Brooklyn 9 9. Unfortunately something about Samberg annoys me, and I don't know what. But I did laugh a few times and like a lot of the side characters, so I will watch a few more episodes.
I watched Dads because I was so curious. Holy shiitake! Most sexist and racist crepe ever. How?! Why?!
I am curious about Trophy Wife bc I like Malin Ackerman (sp?) but I am not into the whole young vs older wife trope. eh.

eta: Has anyone watched the Rebel Wilson show? I watched the clip up on Hulu and did not like it.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:40 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

ijustdiedinside wrote:
elouise wrote:
I liked Sleepy Hollow!

I'm just starting it, but I think its the same writers/producers as fringe and I love me a good fish outta water story.

...oh? Okay then.

-> look for freely available first episode.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:49 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I'm watching the second season of The Bridge the Swedih/Danish version, not the remake), which just started. The last season was picked up by BBC Four, but no news on the current one.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:09 pm 

solipsistnation wrote:
ijustdiedinside wrote:
elouise wrote:
I liked Sleepy Hollow!

...oh? Okay then.

-> look for freely available first episode.

oh! AND I just read that John Noble is going to join the cast. EFF YES! http://www.avclub.com/articles/fringes- ... -s,103176/

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:45 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

i think i've decided to give hostages a shot tonight.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:38 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Hostages was kind of terrible. I wanted it to be good because I love Toni Collette and Tate Donovan, but it was was almost laughably bad.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:33 pm 
rowdily playing checkers

The exterior shots of the cop shop in Brooklyn 99 is actually the 78th precinct in Prospect Heights, which I walk by as often as sometimes!

http://goo.gl/maps/eNoCr

That was my favorite thing about Brooklyn 99.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 172 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next