| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2459 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74 ... 99  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Playground randomness thread
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:53 pm 
Semen Strong

Next time make a chart and show it to him. Sometimes its easier to see everything spelled out rather than trying to follow along in your mind :)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 5:00 pm 
***LIES!!!***

There is a chart. He's been shown. :) Just can't remember whose parents are whose.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:14 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Huh in my family we've been doin' it wrong all this time - my family has always referred to, say, my mother's cousin's children as my third cousins rather than second. Good to know, in case I ever meet them ;)

So, a friend of mine runs a charter school in DC. He posted this biographical story about the murder of a student. Since reading it, I can't seem to stop thinking about this. To be totally honest reading it I couldn't stop thinking about how many relative privileges I have enjoyed through life. It's been challenging for me to read and think about, since the family's experiences in life are so completely alien to me, even though I was probably only a few miles away when he died.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sf/local/ ... ess-child/

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:18 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Has anyone used headphones with their toddlers? We're going on holiday soon and are planning on taking a tablet with us for some media options, but on the plane F will need headphones/earphones obviously. She was goofing around with an old pair of earbuds yesterday, but maybe something that goes over her head would be better? Also, I don't want to blast her ears accidentally...are there ones with volume limitation?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:45 pm 
Semen Strong

Mooo posted a picture of Scarlet wearing a supercute pair a few months ago. Maybe she could weigh in or else PM her if its urgent?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:39 pm 
Nooch of Earl

These are great, we have used them since taking V to Japan. They were a little big on her at 18 months, but now they fit great, and she loves her "hones." http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0007NWL70/ref ... 1_ST1_dp_5

We also got her this portable DVD player, which is a) pretty cheap, so if she trashes it I won't cry that hard, b) prevents her from draining the ipad battery and then having nothing to do, c) plays european and american dvds just fine, and d) has video out so when you do get to your destination you have a dvd player for the hotel or whatever, which can be nice sometimes. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003T1 ... il_1p_0_ti

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:40 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

refinnej wrote:
Has anyone used headphones with their toddlers? We're going on holiday soon and are planning on taking a tablet with us for some media options, but on the plane F will need headphones/earphones obviously. She was goofing around with an old pair of earbuds yesterday, but maybe something that goes over her head would be better? Also, I don't want to blast her ears accidentally...are there ones with volume limitation?

Your device might have a built-in volume control. On my iPod, I can go into "settings" and set a max volume.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:37 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Yes, we have a pair for Sam... they are awesome... But the volume really is LOWWW! Sam has now graduated to the 5-7 size and it's a bit better for him sound wise.

Maxell Safe Soundz 3-5 years old

“I did not become a vegetarian for my health, I did it for the health of the chickens.”

I blog @ Mama To Feingold Kids

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:36 pm 

choirqueer, thanks for that! I'm betting that might be a lot easier than finding volume-restricting headphones.

Will check out the headphone recommendations too!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:30 pm 

Somebody please tell me those trader joe's low fat chocolate cat cookies are vegan. I don't see anything in the ingredients, but they don't have a V. Babynut begs for them when we are shopping. CATS! CATS! CATS!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:32 pm 
Semen Strong

We got the regular cat cookies, bc I couldn't see anything problematic. L loves them.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:42 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

They don't put the V on stuff unless the sugar is for sure non-bone char, so some cookies like the organic animal crackers have the V (because organic sugar is always vegan), but others like the cat cookies don't. That's why there's no V on the cookie butter and a lot of the crackers. We love the animal crackers and cat cookies, too!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:49 pm 
Semen Strong

This article lists them as vegan. http://www.examiner.com/article/what-s- ... ader-joe-s

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:15 am 
And you never will.

Since I've started keeping my cousin's baby, I suddenly remember how hard it is taking care of an infant all day. Although, so far, she seems easier than poopiebaby was at that age (knock wood). Still, concepts like "pee when you have the chance" are starting to come back to me :)

On the plus side, I get SO MUCH more done in the mornings now before she gets here! By 10am today I made french toast for me and poopieboy, had a cup of tea, unloaded the dishwasher, washed a sink-full of dishes and loaded them into the dishwasher, put away last night's shopping, started a batch of bread in time to get it through its first rise, and then shaped it and panned it for its second rise.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:19 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

poopiebitch wrote:
Since I've started keeping my cousin's baby, I suddenly remember how hard it is taking care of an infant all day. Although, so far, she seems easier than poopiebaby was at that age (knock wood). Still, concepts like "pee when you have the chance" are starting to come back to me :)

On the plus side, I get SO MUCH more done in the mornings now before she gets here! By 10am today I made french toast for me and poopieboy, had a cup of tea, unloaded the dishwasher, washed a sink-full of dishes and loaded them into the dishwasher, put away last night's shopping, started a batch of bread in time to get it through its first rise, and then shaped it and panned it for its second rise.

Ahahahaha, awesome! "Pee when you get the chance" is right!
I started going to bed crazy early (8pm) and getting up at 5am (after night-feeding Vax, it ends up being about 8 hours of sleep) to have 2 hours a day to myself (the boys get up at 7, Vax is too fussy at night to sleep by himself, but usually fine in the morning -- having a baby that sleeps for a couple of hours straight is a real treat) because I hadn't read or knitted anything in ages -- it's all been cleaning/homeschooling/cooking/taking care of Vax until now.
I'm hoping once Vax is more of a sound sleeper, I'll be able to take a shower (the bathroom is en-suite and seems to wake him up when I use it) in the mornings -- at the moment, I am happy to get one shower a week. :/

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:57 pm 
Naked Under Apron

To steroid or not to steroid? D has had a really bad cough for 6 days now, and it seemed to be worsening, so H took her to the dr this morning. The dr listened to her chest and all that, and said he thought this was probably brought on by allergies; then he prescribed some liquid kids zyrtec (cool) and some prednisone. I kinda don't want to give her the steroids but I assume they will help the zyrtec start working faster so I'm torn - I don't like her being uncomfortable from the cough but I have some admittedly uninformed opinion that steroids are probably not necessary. Any advice?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 4:43 pm 

How does D say she is feeling? Do you think you have time to give the Zyrtec a chance on it's own? I took Prednisone for awhile with polyps and they worked great, but the long term side effects are scary.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:00 am 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

The steroid will give results quickly (usually easier breathing in a matter of hours), so that is why they prescribe them. Low, short doses usually are well tolerated (although I know lots of kids get wired with even a little dose!) If she isn't having labored breathing and her O2sats were fine at the pedi's then it really is only for comfort purposes. I myself LOVE a little short burst of steroids when I am wheezy - but I might skip it in a kid who is otherwise doing ok.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:35 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Raygold is such a quirky, cute little kid. The other day, he told me he has a pretend friend names Kenpo* who is a baby and a magnet and lives in the plughole.

* (P90X reference. He loves that word and uses it for names of things all the time.)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:10 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Due to unpleasantness with our landlords, we quickly and unexpectedly moved in with my parents. Henry climbs into my dad's lap this morning and my dad turns to me and asks "Is it okay if he watches a movie with radioactive zombies in it?" In his defense, the movie was from the 50s and not scary or anything, but come on!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:13 am 
Semen Strong

I am sorry bap, your moving situation sounds really stressful. And yikes, radioactive zombies! How fast people forget what kiddos can watch!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:26 am 
Seagull of the PPK

Just popping in to say that henceforth, due to Leela's awesomeness, FishyChips is now to be known as Baggy. She was complaining about how she was just joking about Fishy Chips and Leela's interpretation of Gabby is just too cute to leave alone. So, Baggy it is.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:52 am 

Anyone have neat ideas for how to store children's books? We have some book baskets around the house, but mostly they are on a shelf in the living room and her bedroom. It's not so easy for her to find the book she wants though and I'd love something more child-friendly.

Also, how long after a cold would you expect poop changes to continue. We took F to the doc last Thursday because she's been having loose, sandy really foul smelling poo going on since a cold now three weeks ago. The snot/sniffles part cleared up fine after like 4 or 5 days. Dr. (not our regular GP and one I don't particularly care for) listened to F's gut so I'm not worried about anything major, but I'm not convinced that it's still her system recovering from the cold. I'm wondering about some sort of food intolerance maybe? She said that we could look at probiotics but they weren't necessary and sometimes didn't make any difference. Ditto on changing her to a bland diet/low fiber, etc. I took her mostly because she twice said "stomach hurt" and then maybe 15 mins later, the poopslosion happened. I worry not only about her having tummy troubles, but also that she's not digesting her food properly. And...a nappy rash most of the time. :(

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:21 am 
Nooch of Earl

Land of Nod has some cute ideas like library carts and the kind of shelves where you see the covers of the books.

And they don't seem to sell them anymore, but I bought a couple of ones that go on the wall and hold books with their covers facing out (sort of like a wall-mounted magazine rack). I think IKEA sells something similar, but I can't find it among all the BILLY.

OK these might be the ones we have actually: http://www.landofnod.com/kids-shelves-a ... blue/f3556

That said, most of her books are on the built-in shelves that came with the house with board books that we don't worry about her trashing in a big basket near the floor. I always find it an internal struggle because she tends to rip paper books and I don't want to impede access but I don't want her books trashed either, since I know she'll regret that later.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:09 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I really like the idea of using picture rails to display books facing outwards. Similarly, the simple unstained wooden Ikea spice racks often make appearances in kids' rooms as book holders. Here's an example that I found in my Pinterest (they're painted gray): http://www.pinterest.com/pin/252272016596478647/

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2459 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74 ... 99  Next