| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:55 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 492 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Brunch
PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 7:06 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Efcliz wrote:
Also many times, for both brunch and dinner, I even fed it to an omni once, and even though I thought it would be pretty scary for her she loved it.

My omni friend wanted to smother it in ketchup, but you can't please everybody!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 2:33 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

creep wrote:
Efcliz wrote:
Also many times, for both brunch and dinner, I even fed it to an omni once, and even though I thought it would be pretty scary for her she loved it.

My omni friend wanted to smother it in ketchup, but you can't please everybody!

Yay! I'm going to make it tomorrow.
Do you usually top it with Daiya or the cheesy sauce?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:15 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I've used daiya and noochy cheesy sauce.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:54 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Go out right now, buy a cold smoker, make a vast batch of Italian Feast Sausages, cold smoke them and eat yourself into a coma. Seriously. Now.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:19 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Love the lemon pepper tofu. I had it in bread with mayo today for my lunch. It was so good.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:11 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

RE: Breakfast Casserole

Speaking of "smothering it in ketchup," this is exactly what I have on the plate in front of me right now! And I do enjoy some tomato-y, vinegar-y accompaniment on occasion, but it seemed so necessary with this particular recipe, and not in the best or most complimentary way...

I haven't made much these past 7 months that has not completely delighted my newbie vegan tastebuds, but this one's on the fence for me. I WANTED to love it, because pregan, I was THE BREAKFAST CASSEROLE QUEEN, adored and lauded by my overnight-guest family and friends. I DO love the potato layer, and the tofu layer is yummy (although not puffy and smooth and golden like those omni breakfast eggy/custardy layers of yesteryear) - and even the tempeh layer tasted great when mixed with all the seasonings. But baked together, it leaves me a little deflated. I can't say it's bad, because I keep going back for more, and even enjoying it, but I definitely wouldn't serve it to guests. In fact, I didn't even tell my husband about the container in the fridge, just knowing his taste preferences.

I'd never even heard of tempeh pregan, and with my unfamiliarity with this ingredient, perhaps it's just too hammered home that tempeh must be steamed "to remove the bitterness": I seem to detect that bitter aftertaste, although it could be in my imagination.

I'm thinking of a rehash in the future, with the tempeh steamed, then seasoned, and maybe browned/crisped up a bit before layering it in. Also kicking around a more silken tofu "egg" layer (or cashew addition, like the amazing quiche) that might lend a more familiar texture (ideas, ideas).

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:58 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I baked the lemon poppyseed muffins this evening. So good. I will have to make them again.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:12 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I made the Blueberry Ginger Spelt muffins this week and they're really good. I'm not a fan of crystallized ginger in recipes, but this one's not too noticeable.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:46 am 
Has Isa on speed dial

I made the vegan omelettes for - you guessed it - brunch this morning. so good! thanks for the awesome recipe, isa. I was really missing omelettes.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:08 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

Zula wrote:
I made the Blueberry Ginger Spelt muffins this week and they're really good. I'm not a fan of crystallized ginger in recipes, but this one's not too noticeable.

I make those with pear and they are SO good.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:26 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

magnificent70s wrote:
I made the vegan omelettes for - you guessed it - brunch this morning. so good! thanks for the awesome recipe, isa. I was really missing omelettes.

That looks amazing!!!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:35 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I bought the Amande vanilla yogurt and didn't like it. It has this weird alcohol aftertaste? Anyway, finally used a good bit of it in the bakery style berry muffins. It makes good muffins, at least!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:10 pm 
Tofu Pup

Regretfully vegan brunch is my least consulted Isa book. But today I decided to pull that sucker out! Made the tomato rosemary scones and hollandaise sauce. WOW! The scones make such a nice backdrop to the sauce. They are savory yet slightly sweet and the tangy salty sauce really compliments them. Amazing!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:00 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I made the coffee cake today with strawberry jam swirl for a 2 year olds birthday (for the adults). I ended up not getting there until most people were gone and I hadn't a chance to sample it first to make sure it was ok so I was a bit dodgy about giving it in.

I kept it and I just had a slice. Bloody delicious. It is so light and fluffy. I'm now delighted I have it all to myself.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:05 pm 
Nailed to the V

Finally made the Chelsea Waffles for the first time this morning. Delicious, but it was a bit of a disaster. Right in the middle of my second waffle, the waffle maker broke! It's the kind where it flips over to cook the waffles. When I was flipping back right-side up to retrieve the waffle, it just came off the hinges! I changed course and finished the batter in my cast-iron skillet as pancakes. When all was said and done, I had a couple of extremely tasty waffles and a couple of equally delightful pancakes. That's still a win, and then hubby was able to fix the waffle maker!

Chelsea waffles will be my go-tos from now on!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:44 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Here's a pancake observation....

The perfect pancake recipe in this book is my sworn go-to pancake recipe. I have it mostly memorized and have never not gotten perfect, fluffy, amazing pancakes from it. When we went on vacation a few weeks ago I threw all of (or so I thought) the dry ingredients pre-measured into a ziplock bag to make in our rented house, but then never ended up making them & it's been hanging out in my pantry since. This weekend I pulled it out to use, dumped the contents in a bowl, added the wet ingredients, bla blah blah. Turns out, I'm pretty positive I didn't add that 1/2 teaspoon of salt the recipe calls for into my pre mixed bag. (Now that I think about it, I think I have a vague memory of thinking, screw it, I'll add the salt there, when I was throwing the other stuff in last minute right before we left.) The pancakes were so awful - just blah and tasteless, even with earth balance and syrup added on top. After eating a few bites I had to toss the rest of what was on my plate and the remaining ones. They almost made me feel like I was eating what homemade play dough smells like, if that makes any sense. Anyways, it was very sad, and a good lesson in the importance of a measly 1/2 tsp of salt (maybe totally obvious to recipe writers, but as a total recipe follower, it would never occur to me that such a small amount in a pretty large recipe could make such a huge difference.) Obviously I've also learned that having to follow a strict no-salt diet would very sad for me. I'm going to make them again this weekend and resume my love affair with them!

This forum is reminding me that while there are so many things in this book I've made a bazillion times (the perfect pancakes, the east coast coffee cake, the tomato rosemary scones, the apple/rosemary scones, the caramelized onion quiche, the bacon) there are so many things I always just breeze by. I think I'm going to make the polenta rancheros for dinner tonight, and all of the muffin ravings are making me want to make a batch tonight because now I'm craving muffins hard. Also - I've been kind of intrigued by the tortilla scramble, but it seems like there are mixed reviews of that here. Anyone want to elaborate on why they either loved or hated it?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:10 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

The coffee cake went down a treat at work. Everyone loved it. Someone even had a second slice.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:23 am 
WELFARIST!

Last night I tweaked the Chesapeake Tempeh Cakes, according to what I had on hand. Instead of mayo, I used tahini and then squeeze in half a lemon's worth of juice; used regular dijon mustard instead of whole grain; sriracha as the hot sauce; poblano peppers instead of red; added in a heaping teaspoon of kelp powder; didn't dredge them in panko since I had so little after what needed to be added to the mixture. They were still so good! Maybe better than the last time I made them and followed the directions as is, but it's been a long time since I've made them, so who knows. I was afraid that the tahini would really fork them up, but I like tahini so much that I suppose that's impossible.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:04 pm 
Nailed to the V

allularpunk wrote:
Last night I tweaked the Chesapeake Tempeh Cakes, according to what I had on hand. Instead of mayo, I used tahini and then squeeze in half a lemon's worth of juice; used regular dijon mustard instead of whole grain; sriracha as the hot sauce; poblano peppers instead of red; added in a heaping teaspoon of kelp powder; didn't dredge them in panko since I had so little after what needed to be added to the mixture. They were still so good! Maybe better than the last time I made them and followed the directions as is, but it's been a long time since I've made them, so who knows. I was afraid that the tahini would really fork them up, but I like tahini so much that I suppose that's impossible.

Wow, you're a genius. I am an avid mayo hater and that's what has always held me back from trying this recipe. That's it, I'm making them with your tahini substitution! Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:36 pm 
WELFARIST!

beethecookie wrote:
allularpunk wrote:

Wow, you're a genius. I am an avid mayo hater and that's what has always held me back from trying this recipe. That's it, I'm making them with your tahini substitution! Thanks!

I think that since tahini is a little thicker than mayo, it helped keep them together better as well. Hope you like it!

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:22 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

has anyone made the bagels yet? i would like to but i don't think my hubby and i can consume 12 bagels over a few days. do they freeze and defrost well?

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:24 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

heatherkelly wrote:
Here's a pancake observation....

The perfect pancake recipe in this book is my sworn go-to pancake recipe. I have it mostly memorized and have never not gotten perfect, fluffy, amazing pancakes from it. When we went on vacation a few weeks ago I threw all of (or so I thought) the dry ingredients pre-measured into a ziplock bag to make in our rented house, but then never ended up making them & it's been hanging out in my pantry since. This weekend I pulled it out to use, dumped the contents in a bowl, added the wet ingredients, bla blah blah. Turns out, I'm pretty positive I didn't add that 1/2 teaspoon of salt the recipe calls for into my pre mixed bag. (Now that I think about it, I think I have a vague memory of thinking, screw it, I'll add the salt there, when I was throwing the other stuff in last minute right before we left.) The pancakes were so awful - just blah and tasteless, even with earth balance and syrup added on top. After eating a few bites I had to toss the rest of what was on my plate and the remaining ones. They almost made me feel like I was eating what homemade play dough smells like, if that makes any sense. Anyways, it was very sad, and a good lesson in the importance of a measly 1/2 tsp of salt (maybe totally obvious to recipe writers, but as a total recipe follower, it would never occur to me that such a small amount in a pretty large recipe could make such a huge difference.) Obviously I've also learned that having to follow a strict no-salt diet would very sad for me. I'm going to make them again this weekend and resume my love affair with them!

Do you let your batter rest after you mix? I don't get super fluffy vegan pancakes ever, but letting the batter rest for 10-15 minutes after mixing helps.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:47 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

bookwormbethie wrote:
has anyone made the bagels yet? i would like to but i don't think my hubby and i can consume 12 bagels over a few days. do they freeze and defrost well?

Yes, and they are awesome! My only change from the recipe is that I smoosh my bagels onto my toppings after boiling but before baking. I think (?) the recipe said to put on the poppyseeds or whatever you are using and then boil, and everything just comes off in the water. (I totally could've misread this though.) I like to do an everything topping: salt, black sesame seeds, garlic powder, onion flakes. I've had no issues freezing and defrosting.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:13 pm 
WELFARIST!

Yeah, I make the bagels pretty regularly. I agree about the time to smooch the toppings on is after boiling but before baking like emmaluv says because, yeah, the toppings come off in the water if you put them on before boiling. I freeze, defrost, toast, too. One thing is they make twelve small bagels. If you want something closer to a larger and more standard size bagels (like you'd see in the supermarket bakery) I'd probably make eight with the recipe.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:31 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

bookwormbethie wrote:

Yes! I'd also say to slice them before you freeze them but I put them straight in the toaster/oven from the freezer, so if you defrost them or something first that might not matter.

(Add my voice to the choir of toppings after boiling, before baking.)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 492 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next