| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:13 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: hula-hooping
PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:41 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

just for inspiration, here is a video I shot of a friend of mine hula hooping. My boyfriend made the mask and edited the video. The music is his band Satan's Answering Machine.

http://dialsatan.org/vids.html

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:44 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

mrsbadmouth wrote:
AutumnLeaves wrote:
I am ashamed to admit that since I was a child, I've been inept at the hula-hoop.

Toy hoops are flimsy and shitty, hardly anyone can keep those up!

I second that to revive this thread. Toy hoops are too small for adults. You need something that stands (when you rest it on the ground at your feet) about as high as your belly button...

I'm very happy hooping, but I don't have a lot of space to have fun with my big hoops inside. So I'm learning how to use minis! And that's hard. ._.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:57 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

Dude, minis are super hard! I tried to play with my pair and I can't even spin them straight. A lot of people say that if you learn poi (which mini hooping steals a lot of moves from) first, you can figure out the moves and the flow, and then when you add the hoops it's much easier to get.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:20 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Minis *are* hard.

But I find that practice also helps, in addition to lessons. I bit the bullet and paid for online classes, and I practice even the simplest lessons for like... hours before I move on to the next one.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:03 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I went through about a month-long phase in about March where I really really wanted to learn to spin minis, and was going to make some, but then I never did and now I'm happy with my regular hoops. I really love being able to have the whole dance studio to myself after I teach hip hop classes on Wednesday nights so that I can just play around with hoops, hopefully I can get some videos soon!

Who are you taking online classes from?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:05 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

How about the Wii Fit? It's a fun workout and you dont even have to leave the house.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:37 am 

Louzilla wrote:
I went through about a month-long phase in about March where I really really wanted to learn to spin minis, and was going to make some, but then I never did and now I'm happy with my regular hoops. I really love being able to have the whole dance studio to myself after I teach hip hop classes on Wednesday nights so that I can just play around with hoops, hopefully I can get some videos soon!

Who are you taking online classes from?

I wish I had just made twins that were kind of small instead of full-on minis because they are stupid hard, but I like the idea of playing with two hoops.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:56 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I had to buy my tubing in a 100 foot roll so I have lots of extra stuff to work with...

What's your guys' favourite size? Have you ever tried to work towards something different?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:16 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Mine is 39" diameter, and I loved it for learning but would like to try switching to something slightly smaller.

And MBM - I had actually been wanting twins as opposed to minis. How small are your minis?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:30 am 

I can't remember the diameter, but they're pretty small (you can kind of get an idea from the hoops I madethread), I just had some leftover 1/2 inch tubing that wasn't being used so I just made them as big as the amount of tubing I had allowed. If it wasn't cold out I would go buy more tubing and make bigger tiwns, but since I don't have room to spin anything bigger, i'll just try and hilariously fail at these.

Nickalya, is this your first hoop you're making? The rule of thumb for beginners is to make the hoop so when it's standing in front of you, it comes up to about the bottom of your chest (if you're average height). Bigger, heavier hoops are easier to learn because they move slower. It requires less effort on your part and since they move slower, it's easier to learn the timing on tricks. The downside is that obviously you need more room for a bigger hoop, it's hard to hand hoop with a heavier hoop, and for some off-body tricks it just won't work because it'll hit the ground.

The good knews is, with 100 feet of tubing, you can make hoops in a variety of sizes! You can make a bigger one for working on your on-body moves, and a smaller one for off-body moves and isolations.

I'm actually about to re-size my beater hoop because I love it, but it's the only 1/2 inch hoop I have and it's also too big for the reasons I mentioned above. I'm just going to cut out the tubing that has the connector the connector and then put a new one in. Since it's my beater I don't care about cutting the tape.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:17 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

One of my hip hop students wants to make a hoop! We're going to go halfsies on a roll of tubing. I'm excited to actually make more hoops, since I've been thinking about doing it for a while now! (hey badmouth, does that offer for the shiny tape still stand?)

Also, what kind of music do you guys like to hoop to?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:05 am 

Sure! I have gold mirror, purple mirror, pink sparkly, blue-green sparkly, red shiny with a star print, neon/lime green sparkly, silver sparkly with little o's all over it...I think that's it.

I also have extra gaffer tape, I have a roll of purple and I think blue? I bought tape while my other tape was in storage and accidentally bought two colors I already have.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:46 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

PM'd you!

I'm hoopdancing in the russian/candy canes variation of the nutcracker next Saturday, and I'm planning on doing an elbow switch but the hoop keeps hitting my butt and flying away... I don't even have a huge butt! I'm just really afraid of it flying into the audience during the show or something. Or, y'know, hitting one of the other dancers.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:02 pm 
WELFARIST!

This thread is awesome. After the holidays I want to try to make my own and start hula-hooping. I haven't done it since I was a kid.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:54 am 

Louzilla wrote:
PM'd you!

I'm hoopdancing in the russian/candy canes variation of the nutcracker next Saturday, and I'm planning on doing an elbow switch but the hoop keeps hitting my butt and flying away... I don't even have a huge butt! I'm just really afraid of it flying into the audience during the show or something. Or, y'know, hitting one of the other dancers.

You really have to tuck your butt in for that! I have a totally flat asparagus and it still gets in the way. Butt tucked in, other elbow ready to go.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:50 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Re: first hoop question: totally no, I actually make hoops and unsuccessfully sell them! : P

Blur. I've been having trouble picking up hoops, mini or otherwise, this week. It's been hectic and generally horrid! D :

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:14 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

mrsbadmouth wrote:
Louzilla wrote:
PM'd you!

You really have to tuck your butt in for that! I have a totally flat asparagus and it still gets in the way. Butt tucked in, other elbow ready to go.

Man--I'd think after 10 years of ballet I'd learn to always tuck my butt in when dancing anyway, but apparently not.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:08 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

ppk hoopers!

I am considering investing in a new LED hoop (the one I have right now is super rattley :/), wondering if any of you could show me where you got yours?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 11:03 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I don't have an LED hoop (boo), but there's an awesome chart on Hoop City that compares all the popular brands on a range of criteria! http://www.hoopcity.ca/page/led-hoop-reviews-and

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:16 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I make my own hoops, and I left my supplies in philadelphia, but I am ALL KINDS of bringing my hoop back with me in january.

I am not super adept, but its fun and actually really relaxes me.

also, if anyone in the 'illadelphia area wants to have a hoop making party over ecember, I have a lot of supplies and am willing to share.

I have a blog: http://upthefolks.tumblr.com/
art: http://upthefolksstudio.tumblr.com/

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:27 am 
Not NOT A Furry

I'll be with you in my heart Boober.

None of my in person friends like to hoop, so I'm often all alooooneee, with no one here beside me. ._.

... only one of my in person friends is vegan too...

Need more friends...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:33 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

booberthefraggle wrote:
I make my own hoops, and I left my supplies in philadelphia, but I am ALL KINDS of bringing my hoop back with me in january.

I am not super adept, but its fun and actually really relaxes me.

also, if anyone in the 'illadelphia area wants to have a hoop making party over ecember, I have a lot of supplies and am willing to share.

um... HELL YES.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:37 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Nickalya wrote:
None of my in person friends like to hoop, so I'm often all alooooneee, with no one here beside me. ._.

<3

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:44 pm 

I've heard really good things about PSI hoops. I was thinking of asking my FIL to make me a LED hoop for Christmas, as it would be cheaper and he'd probably enjoy figuring it out.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:37 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I want cosmic hooper mini LEDs, they turn into a full hoop!

Same with the Trinity Fire hoop from Sacred Flame, it breaks down into two minis as well.

*drool*

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next