| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2002 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 81  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bicycling Badazzes
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:48 pm 
Slept through a huge sale, OH NO!

Eric. wrote:
Still trying to figure out some thin socks that will keep my feet warm in the cold temps though.

I got a great (synthetic) pair by Cannondale; so cute with the embroidered R and L. The come up past my ankles which is ideal.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:36 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

-40F!? wow that is forking crazy. I think 40F is cold.. O.o
I like to think if I lived in a place like that I'd get some gear and tough it out, I really admire you guys!

I've been riding bikes more and more these past few years and it has taken me on a strange journey to the present in which I am finally "car-free", though one of my two bikes now is like a lightweight electric moped with gears which kind of puts it in its own weird category..

My other bike is a fixed-gear, which I also love dearly. I first got back into bikes as an adult after visiting some friends in Philadelphia while I was living in Huntington Beach going to community college around '05. While hanging out there I got ride a fixed-gear for the first time and knew I had to put one together for myself. I learned a lot about bikes (read: bloodied many knuckles) working on the handful of junker projects I had over the next few years until I finally bought a new frame and put together the bike I have now, the frame of which is currently painted brown. I rode this thing a lot during college, and still do at least a few times a week for work (I still work at the college). Here is a picture of it with a digicam paint job I did and was rather proud of, didn't last long though:

Then a few years later I built up my stepdad's old Rock Hopper as a touring bike and started bike camping!
Here it is in Gorda, CA near Big Sur:

A few years after that I got a new touring bike which I used like crazy until I forked up by leaving it unlocked and overnight and letting it get stolen, needless to say I'm in full lockdown mode now. I camped with it in Big Sur a ton, and started to haul veggies too because I work at the school's organic farm and had also started my own garden project. At first:
then I got a trailer:
then I got a big trailer (side-note: Here I'm riding a second Rock Hopper which I borrowed from my dad. Both my dad and and stepdad (and me) are named Roger, and they both had white Rock Hoppers..):

This is my current route to and from my own garden at my parent's house, which I presently make about twice a week with my trailer and my electric bike:
boring story even more boring it's what motivated me to buy the electric bike kit, which has greatly helped me to do a lot more work (though it's not been without it own fair share of frustrations.. though it's working well know, knock on wood!)

So here's what I'm working with now:
..and also the brown fixie which I love. I need another touring bike though, I miss bike camping!

PPK Bike Tour '11, let's do it!

Last edited by thssrgr on Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:43 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I'm sad that I've barely ridden my bike since moving here. Back in Southern California, I rode all the time, even finished a century ride from Irvine to San Diego and a half century ride in Solvang, but here ... not so much. In a bizarre way, I had found the constant honking, swerving, and threats of vehicular violence in California oddly motivating.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:46 pm 

Aww what's wrong with my codez?!

eta fixed 'em

Last edited by thssrgr on Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:52 pm 

Just use [img]url[ /img] (without the space):

Edit to add: Nice rides!! I'd love to do bike camping.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:01 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Would you guys recommend paying for someone to "tune-up" your bike? Or do you think if I googled "how to fix your bike at home", it would give me good pointers to do all of my bike maintenence myself?

Now go eat some vegan food and don't complain about the world.
-Claire Galant, T.O.F.U Magazine

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:13 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

sarahnorine wrote:
Would you guys recommend paying for someone to "tune-up" your bike? Or do you think if I googled "how to fix your bike at home", it would give me good pointers to do all of my bike maintenence myself?

I'd try searching for "bicycles maintenance and repair" on your friendly public library's catalog. Probably faster to just find a concise manual in print than wade through a bunch of poorly organized sites to find what you need.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:16 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

im into a ppk touring trip! ive had a very small taste of touring last year with a ride across Pennsylvania (http://hellopa.wordpress.com/2010/05/11 ... -preday-1/) and it was a blast.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:24 pm 

Have you been riding it all along or has it been sitting for awhile? I, not feeling that comfortable with DIY bike stuff, prefer to get a pro tune-up once a year or so -- also because I love out local bike store and if I can afford to give them the business why not? But for little things, the Mr. is pretty handy, so it can be learned for sure. Getting him a bike stand was an excellent investment!

Finally, as for Googling: do Sheldon Brown and you will get a wealth of awesome info.
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/
(Don't be put off by the 90s-riffic-ness of the page.)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:24 pm 

sarahnorine wrote:

well what are you looking to have done? Also what tools do you have and how good are you with working on things?

its def worth while to pick up a few essential tools so you can do-it yourself and keep money in your pocket :)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:28 pm 

Eric. wrote:
sarahnorine wrote:

well what are you looking to have done? Also what tools do you have and how good are you with working on things?

its def worth while to pick up a few essential tools so you can do-it yourself and keep money in your pocket :)

Basically just things like wheel alignment, brake adjustment.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:36 pm 

so I'm signing up for The Holiday Hundred right now, but I haven't decided whether I want to do the 25 or 62 mile route. I can do the 25 no problem and I know it'll be a nice calm ride, but should I step it up and just go for the 62? I know the only reason I'm on the fence right now is because I'm lazy.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:15 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I say go for the 62. It's amazing how far you can go once you decide to do it. Make sure you have something gloriously unhealthy for dinner to get you through the last few miles. My century-loving partner always wants sloppy joes when he does a long ride. I like pizza.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:50 pm 

Catalina wrote:
I say go for the 62. It's amazing how far you can go once you decide to do it. Make sure you have something gloriously unhealthy for dinner to get you through the last few miles. My century-loving partner always wants sloppy joes when he does a long ride. I like pizza.

Totally agree. I always wish I signed up for the next increment up from what I do sign up for (does that make sense?) The group provides the energy to exceed expectations.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:33 pm 

Catalina wrote:

oh I'm planning on it, seeing as how the after-party for the ride is catered by Moe's.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:48 pm 
Chip Strong

sarahnorine wrote:

thebiketutor.com is pretty good and they have videos - they also reference the previously mentioned Sheldon Brown a lot. Tune-ups usually include a bunch of adjustments of your bearings, spokes, derailleur, bottom bracket, etc. Personally, I'll do some really basic wheel truing, brake adjustments, etc., but until I can take a class or find access to tools I just go to the shop. You need special tools for some parts.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:31 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Holy crepe! I thought my bike was toast after sitting in my house untouched for age - last time i rode it on my trainer i was having loads of problems with it. Anyway, i'm moving soon and need it to be commute so thought i'd test it and the bike faeries have been and fixed it or something. Can't wait to ride again although i HAVE to do some maintenance on it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:26 am 

Alina wrote:
so I'm signing up for The Holiday Hundred right now, but I haven't decided whether I want to do the 25 or 62 mile route. I can do the 25 no problem and I know it'll be a nice calm ride, but should I step it up and just go for the 62? I know the only reason I'm on the fence right now is because I'm lazy.

i agree, go with the 62 option. when you have a set distance you have to ride/run/ect its amazing how much of a motivator that is, at least for me.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:38 am 

sarahnorine wrote:

Personally, I wouldn't. LEONARD* Zinn's books on bike maintenance are pretty clear and comprehensive (and they quote Doctor Who!). If by wheel alignment, you mean truing (making it round again) you might want to buy a spoke wrench. Even with truing, you might be able to do it with a regular screw driver! Just take off your tire, tube and rim strip, so you can see the backs of your spoke nipples (teehee). If the spokes aren't too long, you should be able to adjust the nipples with a screwdriver.

The tools you need for brake adjustment depend on the type of brakes you have, but they most likely won't be bike specific.

Also, if you don't want to/can't afford to buy tools, look into a local bike collective. In Denver, ours is free, though some have nominal fees. From their Web site, it looks like the Grease Pit in Minneapolis is closed right now. But St. Paul might have something?

*edited because I'm an idiot who can't keep the bicycle mechanic vs. the historian straight.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:13 pm 

Olives wrote:
sarahnorine wrote:

Personally, I wouldn't. LEONARD* Zinn's books on bike maintenance are pretty clear and comprehensive (and they quote Doctor Who!). If by wheel alignment, you mean truing (making it round again) you might want to buy a spoke wrench. Even with truing, you might be able to do it with a regular screw driver! Just take off your tire, tube and rim strip, so you can see the backs of your spoke nipples (teehee). If the spokes aren't too long, you should be able to adjust the nipples with a screwdriver.

The tools you need for brake adjustment depend on the type of brakes you have, but they most likely won't be bike specific.

Also, if you don't want to/can't afford to buy tools, look into a local bike collective. In Denver, ours is free, though some have nominal fees. From their Web site, it looks like the Grease Pit in Minneapolis is closed right now. But St. Paul might have something?

*edited because I'm an idiot who can't keep the bicycle mechanic vs. the historian straight.

I don't know about St Paul. I'm currently paying The Hub (a bike cooperative) to do all my necessary tune ups (yearly). I'm just a little nervous about beginning to ride again in March, and if I'm going to be biking in inclement weather, what kind of wear and tear I should expect.
I currently already know I need a front fender and lights for my bike, but I was wondering if the tune-up stuff should be saved for those who know or if, after winter turns into summer, I don't necessarily need to pay those guys to make the adjustments from riding in the mud and puddles.
I dunno. I don't know bike jargon either, but the nipples part sounded kind of exciting.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:35 pm 

When I teach someone to true a wheel, pointing out the spoke nipple (the part that holds the spoke on the rim) is my favorite thing. Because I'm 12, on the inside.
I'm totally biased, but I think cyclists should learn to make as many repairs to their own bikes as they're physically capable of. It's really rewarding, and it's good to know how the machine you're racing around on works. Plus, you can adjust things to your own liking, rather than having some bro goober at a bike store say "NO! All handlebars MUST be this way!" etc. Also, bike shops charge a lot of money for things that most people, with just a little bit of info, could do themselves. Finally, when you're cycling the more self sufficient you are, the better. Especially if you want to take longer rides. It's a great feeling for me to know that short of frame bending or welding, I can fix anything on my bike. Even if it takes forever and I curse a lot.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:44 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Olives wrote:
When I teach someone to true a wheel, pointing out the spoke nipple (the part that holds the spoke on the rim) is my favorite thing. Because I'm 12, on the inside.
I'm totally biased, but I think cyclists should learn to make as many repairs to their own bikes as they're physically capable of. It's really rewarding, and it's good to know how the machine you're racing around on works. Plus, you can adjust things to your own liking, rather than having some bro goober at a bike store say "NO! All handlebars MUST be this way!" etc. Also, bike shops charge a lot of money for things that most people, with just a little bit of info, could do themselves. Finally, when you're cycling the more self sufficient you are, the better. Especially if you want to take longer rides. It's a great feeling for me to know that short of frame bending or welding, I can fix anything on my bike. Even if it takes forever and I curse a lot.

Such good advice!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:19 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Imitation Of Chris wrote:
sarahnorine wrote:

thebiketutor.com is pretty good and they have videos - they also reference the previously mentioned Sheldon Brown a lot. Tune-ups usually include a bunch of adjustments of your bearings, spokes, derailleur, bottom bracket, etc. Personally, I'll do some really basic wheel truing, brake adjustments, etc., but until I can take a class or find access to tools I just go to the shop. You need special tools for some parts.

Josh Hooten wrote a decent manual on bike maintenance, it is pretty inexpensive. I bought a few and gave them out last summer at one of my farmers' markets.

chris - during the summer when the Upper Haight Farmers' Market is open we have a bike mechanic on staff each week! Just bring your bike by and they can tune it up for you - free of charge! If there is something they cannot do they will tell you exactly what to have done at the bike shop.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:48 pm 

It's too cold for riding right now (at least for me; I despise winter), but I used to like to hop on my bike for spontaneous rides up and down the lakefront. A lot of the time I'd go to Presque Isle, which is about 3 miles away (so 6 miles? Maybe 7 with the circling I do). Once warm weather hits again, my butt will be glued to my bike seat.

My ride:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:43 pm 

Olives wrote:

agreed. knowing the inner-workings of your bike is so important, because accidents and emergencies happen all the time, sometimes for seemingly no reason (especially when it comes to older bikes), so if parts start flying off out of nowhere while you're enjoying a nice bike ride, it would be helpful to at least know what you can do fix things.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2002 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 81  Next