| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:02 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 492 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Brunch
PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:21 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

thanks y'all! and yes, i thought the recipe was odd with topping before boiling, i also, like y'all, will top after boiling.

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:08 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I just made the bagels today, but haven't eaten one yet. It's been a couple of years since I made them.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:12 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Has anyone ever made the Chili Cashew Dosas (p. 69)? The intro to the recipe says it is supposed to be a thin batter but mine was so watery I couldn't even cook it (even after letting the batter rest over an hour). And what came out of the pan was very salty and had uncooked onion. Are there measurement typos in this recipe?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:58 am 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

I finally made the bagels! Never felt like I needed to because I live near some pretty good bagel places but the last couple times we've bought em they've felt too heavy and dense. But my family wants bagels constantly so I took the plunge and they are amazing! Chewy on the outside from the boiling and light inside, exactly what I was hoping for. I made 10 so they'd be generous-sized and used a mix of sesame seeds and onion flakes because we all like everything bagels. I froze most of them but at least 1 is getting eaten by someone every day so they'll be gone in no time.

I'm sure I've raved about the raised waffles in this thread somewhere but I made them again last night and had a major mishap - I intentionally used 1 cup white whole wheat flour but then instead of 1 cup regular white flour I used bread flour! I quickly realized what I'd done but put the batter in the fridge for overnight anyway and yippee! it didn't seem to matter at all...they may have even been lighter and fluffier than usual.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:56 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

creep wrote:
heatherkelly wrote:
Here's a pancake observation....

The perfect pancake recipe in this book is my sworn go-to pancake recipe. I have it mostly memorized and have never not gotten perfect, fluffy, amazing pancakes from it. When we went on vacation a few weeks ago I threw all of (or so I thought) the dry ingredients pre-measured into a ziplock bag to make in our rented house, but then never ended up making them & it's been hanging out in my pantry since. This weekend I pulled it out to use, dumped the contents in a bowl, added the wet ingredients, bla blah blah. Turns out, I'm pretty positive I didn't add that 1/2 teaspoon of salt the recipe calls for into my pre mixed bag. (Now that I think about it, I think I have a vague memory of thinking, screw it, I'll add the salt there, when I was throwing the other stuff in last minute right before we left.) The pancakes were so awful - just blah and tasteless, even with earth balance and syrup added on top. After eating a few bites I had to toss the rest of what was on my plate and the remaining ones. They almost made me feel like I was eating what homemade play dough smells like, if that makes any sense. Anyways, it was very sad, and a good lesson in the importance of a measly 1/2 tsp of salt (maybe totally obvious to recipe writers, but as a total recipe follower, it would never occur to me that such a small amount in a pretty large recipe could make such a huge difference.) Obviously I've also learned that having to follow a strict no-salt diet would very sad for me. I'm going to make them again this weekend and resume my love affair with them!

Do you let your batter rest after you mix? I don't get super fluffy vegan pancakes ever, but letting the batter rest for 10-15 minutes after mixing helps.

I don't think I've ever paid attention to how long I let it sit...usually however long it takes the pan to get hot, which I don't start until the batter is ready. I've always found that pancake recipe to be no-fail and totally hard to mess up. Except when you leave out an ingredient, obviously! Also - we usually have these when a particular pair of friends come to visit, and the husband always remarks on how the ones I make are fluffier than the ones he makes with the same recipe. We live in nyc, maybe that thing people say about the water here and how it makes better bagels and so on isn't just a myth, and has a nice effect on my measly pancakes too?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:24 am 
Has Isa on speed dial

I woke up to Mr. Schwa making pumpkin pancakes! Very excited.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:32 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

beethecookie wrote:
Finally made the Chelsea Waffles for the first time this morning. Delicious, but it was a bit of a disaster. Right in the middle of my second waffle, the waffle maker broke! It's the kind where it flips over to cook the waffles. When I was flipping back right-side up to retrieve the waffle, it just came off the hinges! I changed course and finished the batter in my cast-iron skillet as pancakes. When all was said and done, I had a couple of extremely tasty waffles and a couple of equally delightful pancakes. That's still a win, and then hubby was able to fix the waffle maker!

Chelsea waffles will be my go-tos from now on!

That cornmeal is so wonderful in the Chelsea batter! The texture, that little extra crunch to each crispy bite of waffle....scrumptious.

Just plowed down 2 amazing Chelsea waffles, so the memory is acute. Teenage omni boy was very happy.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:45 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Ditto that on the Chelsea waffles. So so good. The only other ones I've made were the ginger ones, and those are awesome also.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 2:55 pm 
Nailed to the V

The Perfect Pancakes are the first ones I've given my son where he actually loved them instead of saying "These taste too vegan."
What does that even mean?!?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:06 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

beethecookie wrote:
The Perfect Pancakes are the first ones I've given my son where he actually loved them instead of saying "These taste too vegan."

the perfect pancakes were a complete fail for me. i think the recipe may be on the blog too? our go-to pancake recipe though is isa's puffy pillow pancakes -- amazing!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:07 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Audrey wrote:
I finally made the bagels! Never felt like I needed to because I live near some pretty good bagel places but the last couple times we've bought em they've felt too heavy and dense. But my family wants bagels constantly so I took the plunge and they are amazing! Chewy on the outside from the boiling and light inside, exactly what I was hoping for. I made 10 so they'd be generous-sized and used a mix of sesame seeds and onion flakes because we all like everything bagels. I froze most of them but at least 1 is getting eaten by someone every day so they'll be gone in no time.

I'm sure I've raved about the raised waffles in this thread somewhere but I made them again last night and had a major mishap - I intentionally used 1 cup white whole wheat flour but then instead of 1 cup regular white flour I used bread flour! I quickly realized what I'd done but put the batter in the fridge for overnight anyway and yippee! it didn't seem to matter at all...they may have even been lighter and fluffier than usual.

awesome news about the bagels, they are on my to-do list!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:08 pm 
Nailed to the V

bookwormbethie wrote:
beethecookie wrote:

the perfect pancakes were a complete fail for me. i think the recipe may be on the blog too? our go-to pancake recipe though is isa's puffy pillow pancakes -- amazing!

That is so funny because when I made the puffy pillow pancakes, they were a fail for me! Haha, I have been meaning to retry them sometime soon, though.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:38 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

beethecookie wrote:
bookwormbethie wrote:
beethecookie wrote:

That is so funny because when I made the puffy pillow pancakes, they were a fail for me! Haha, I have been meaning to retry them sometime soon, though.

perhaps we should both re-try and report back ;) it most likely will not be until next weekend until i do pancakes. hubby is not as enamored with having "breakfast for dinner" like i am. and by breakfast i specifically mean pancakes, he loves tofu scramble for dinner!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:22 am 
Nailed to the V

bookwormbethie, that sounds just like my household! Hubby could probably never eat a pancake again and be perfectly okay with it, meanwhile the kids and I are obsessed with breakfast for dinner. My husband's idea of cooking me breakfast is always a tofu scramble, which is nice and all, but usually what I really want are some pancakes or waffles! You know, something carby that I can put fruit or syrup on!

But yes, I do think we should both re-try and report back! I'm always game for pancakes.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:13 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

I've been making the Chorizo sausages often lately, so easy and hearty and flavorful! The texture's very pleasant. I usually make 6 medium sized sausages out of the recipe. Then I fry them lighly before serving.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:47 pm 

Finally got round to making the Swiss Chard Frittata. So scrummy. I love tofu.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:58 pm 
Tofu Pup

The Swiss Chard Frittata is one of my favorites! I've served this to people who had never eaten tofu before and they all loved it.

I made the Scrambled Tempeh from VB yesterday -- so delicious, and simple.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:57 pm 
Huffs Nooch

Perfect Pancakes testimonial: I've always avoided making pancakes because I'm never happy with the results, until one day it dawned on me that the problem was, due to limited mobility in my wrist, it usually takes me 3-4 minutes to manage to flip each pancake, during which all sorts of things can go wrong. So I assigned my husband (who doesn't cook) griddle duty and it all worked out beautifully.

Until the last time, when I forgot I'd have to re-explain the entire process to him step by step. They came out completely black as a result. However: STILL DELICIOUS. I need to make more stuff out of this book.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:54 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I realized what I was doing wrong with pancakes was not sifting! It turned out for me, sifting was actually important not a total waste of time.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:26 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

After reading so many rave reviews in here I finally made the broccoli quiche a few weeks ago, and I hate to say it, but I felt kind of meh about it. It struck me a little bland...maybe I just don't like broccoli quiche? My husband on the other hand, loved it - I think he took it for lunch 3 days in a row.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:27 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

heatherkelly wrote:
After reading so many rave reviews in here I finally made the broccoli quiche a few weeks ago, and I hate to say it, but I felt kind of meh about it. It struck me a little bland...maybe I just don't like broccoli quiche? My husband on the other hand, loved it - I think he took it for lunch 3 days in a row.

I liked the swiss chard one much better, I thought the broccoli one was a little bland too, needs more salt and garlic.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:21 am 

heatherkelly wrote:

I add far more mustard than the recipe calls for.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:37 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

I add a shot of soy sauce to the batter of the broccoli quiche, otherwise I find it lacks depth too.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:33 pm 
Nailed to the V

I made the pumpkin pancakes today and could not get the insides to cook no matter what I tried (higher heat with shorter cooking time, low heat with slow cooking time, covering pan, no cover, making the pancakes extra thin). Does anyone have any tips for this recipe? I wound up feeding the whole batch to my dog. The good news is that she really liked them. The bad news is that my son and I had cheerios for breakfast. Boo.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:22 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

bcakes wrote:
I made the pumpkin pancakes today and could not get the insides to cook no matter what I tried (higher heat with shorter cooking time, low heat with slow cooking time, covering pan, no cover, making the pancakes extra thin). Does anyone have any tips for this recipe? I wound up feeding the whole batch to my dog. The good news is that she really liked them. The bad news is that my son and I had cheerios for breakfast. Boo.

I've made them and didn't do anything special. They just worked.

I mean, that's not particularly helpful, but it might help you figure out if something went wrong?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 492 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next