| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12954 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 307, 308, 309, 310, 311, 312, 313 ... 519  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan pet peeves
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:17 am 
Flounceiad 2011

ndpittman wrote:
Ah, yes. It never fails to repay multiple re-readings!

In all seriousness, though, I want to bring back the Victorian convention of referring to all children as "it," regardless of gender. I'm always delighted when I read a sentence like the following:

"Even the Duchess sneezed occasionally; and as for the baby, it was sneezing and howling alternately without a moment's pause."

"Dorothea would have been capable of carrying baby joyfully for a mile if there had been need, and of loving it the more tenderly for that labor."

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:04 am 
WELFARIST!

One of my friends on FB has started posting photos of raw meat and stories of how people are surviving on raw meat and one of the preview pictures was a guy showing his teeth with all of the blood on them after eating the raw meat. I'm considering unfriending her. We don't talk anymore anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:08 am 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

i think lewis carroll might have used "it" deliberately. everyone but the narrator refers to that pig as a he. of course, that only makes it more delightful.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:33 am 
Flounceiad 2011

acr wrote:
i think lewis carroll might have used "it" deliberately. everyone but the narrator refers to that pig as a he. of course, that only makes it more delightful.
But the use of "it" occurs frequently throughout 19th C literature, which (delightfully) suggests that it must have been fairly common. And what could be more wonderful and hilarious than the following?

the greatest book ever wrote:
'Here! you may nurse it a bit, if you like!' the Duchess said to Alice, flinging the baby at her as she spoke. 'I must go and get ready to play croquet with the Queen,' and she hurried out of the room. The cook threw a frying-pan after her as she went out, but it just missed her.

Alice caught the baby with some difficulty, as it was a queer-shaped little creature, and held out its arms and legs in all directions, 'just like a star-fish,' thought Alice. The poor little thing was snorting like a steam-engine when she caught it, and kept doubling itself up and straightening itself out again, so that altogether, for the first minute or two, it was as much as she could do to hold it.

As soon as she had made out the proper way of nursing it, (which was to twist it up into a sort of knot, and then keep tight hold of its right ear and left foot, so as to prevent its undoing itself,) she carried it out into the open air. 'IF I don't take this child away with me,' thought Alice, 'they're sure to kill it in a day or two: wouldn't it be murder to leave it behind?' She said the last words out loud, and the little thing grunted in reply (it had left off sneezing by this time). 'Don't grunt,' said Alice; 'that's not at all a proper way of expressing yourself.'

The baby grunted again, and Alice looked very anxiously into its face to see what was the matter with it. There could be no doubt that it had a VERY turn-up nose, much more like a snout than a real nose; also its eyes were getting extremely small for a baby: altogether Alice did not like the look of the thing at all. 'But perhaps it was only sobbing,' she thought, and looked into its eyes again, to see if there were any tears.

No, there were no tears. 'If you're going to turn into a pig, my dear,' said Alice, seriously, 'I'll have nothing more to do with you. Mind now!' The poor little thing sobbed again (or grunted, it was impossible to say which), and they went on for some while in silence.
Alice was just beginning to think to herself, 'Now, what am I to do with this creature when I get it home?' when it grunted again, so violently, that she looked down into its face in some alarm. This time there could be NO mistake about it: it was neither more nor less than a pig, and she felt that it would be quite absurd for her to carry it further.

So she set the little creature down, and felt quite relieved to see it trot away quietly into the wood. 'If it had grown up,' she said to herself, 'it would have made a dreadfully ugly child: but it makes rather a handsome pig, I think.' And she began thinking over other children she knew, who might do very well as pigs, and was just saying to herself, 'if one only knew the right way to change them—'

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:27 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

I am so re-reading Alice's Adventures in Wonderland today.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:42 am 
Flounceiad 2011

emmalv wrote:
Yes. My work here is done!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:46 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

LisaPunk wrote:
ndpittman wrote:
I really hate it when people mix up my cats' genders! (J/K; I agree with you, Imogen.)

this is silly but it drives me bonkers when people cant spell my dogs name. (both on fb and IRL)
his name is Willy. HOW HARD IS THAT?

on FB people constnatly call him Willie even if i said something about Willy on what i posted.
our reg vet has his records under Willie (they misspelled another one of my pets names too) and the behavioral vet he goes to calls him Wiley (prounced while-E)

seriously is Willy a hard name?

I had a dog named Eli. Whenever people saw his name in writing (i.e. at the vet or the license office) they'd pronounce it Elly. Have people never seen the name Eli before?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:52 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I went to school with someone called Eli - his family were into macrobiotic food, so it took the pressure off me as the weird diet kid (I was only vegetarian then as well, but it was the early 80s). Even so, when I see the name I pronounce it Ellie in my head and have to consciously correct myself, I suppose because I haven't known anyone of that name in thirty years. Damn, I feel old now!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:01 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I had a friend in college who spelled her name Eli, pronounced Ellie. But that is definitely not the norm!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:06 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

I've mentioned this before in a more blogging-specific context, but I get seriously annoyed when people post photos of food without including a recipe (or a link to one, if it's not their own). And I literally don't see the point of Pinterest at all. Maybe I'm obtuse, but I honestly don't get it. So someone cooks something that looks delicious, and shares a picture of it. And then what?

I mean, don't get me wrong - I'm happy for them that they're having nice food. BUT WHAT'S IN THIS FOR ME??? When I see interesting, yummy looking food, I want to know how to make, it so that I can eat it, too. Surely I can't be the only person who feels this way?!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:15 pm 
Saggy Butt

Desdemona wrote:
I've mentioned this before in a more blogging-specific context, but I get seriously annoyed when people post photos of food without including a recipe (or a link to one, if it's not their own). And I literally don't see the point of Pinterest at all. Maybe I'm obtuse, but I honestly don't get it. So someone cooks something that looks delicious, and shares a picture of it. And then what?

I mean, don't get me wrong - I'm happy for them that they're having nice food. BUT WHAT'S IN THIS FOR ME??? When I see interesting, yummy looking food, I want to know how to make, it so that I can eat it, too. Surely I can't be the only person who feels this way?!

But that's the exact point of Pinterest! You click on those images and they take you to the website with the recipe (or should, if the pinner is Doing It Right. Sometimes you get a bad link or one that's just the image, sure, but 90% of the stuff I click on takes me to the recipe).

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:18 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Yeah, that's how I use Pinterest. I use it to visually bookmark recipes I want to try.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:19 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

parkerk wrote:
Desdemona wrote:

But that's the exact point of Pinterest! You click on those images and they take you to the website with the recipe (or should, if the pinner is Doing It Right. Sometimes you get a bad link or one that's just the image, sure, but 90% of the stuff I click on takes me to the recipe).
Right. But lots of times (at least in my experience) it links to a blog like the ones described above, where the person just writes about and/or photograph a dish they made, but don't share how to make it (or, again: link to one that isn't not their own). Of course, maybe I'm just cranky because I saw a post like this on FB and now I'm hungry!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:25 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

sing it sister! i don't have my cookbooks here and wanted to make the VWAV Stewed Tofu with Potatoes and Miso. There must be 100000 blogs with pics and reviews (and even a few with step-by-steps but not quantities of ingredients) but i couldn't find one with the actual recipe. boooooo.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:44 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

torque wrote:
sing it sister! i don't have my cookbooks here and wanted to make the VWAV Stewed Tofu with Potatoes and Miso. There must be 100000 blogs with pics and reviews (and even a few with step-by-steps but not quantities of ingredients) but i couldn't find one with the actual recipe. boooooo.

I applaud this! My pet peeve is bloggers abusing copyright and blindly copying recipes out of books.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:38 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Desdemona wrote:
emmalv wrote:
Yes. My work here is done!

It is downloaded and ready to go. I need to make some VB italian feast sausages for pizza day tonight, get some work done instead of ppk'ing, and I'm there.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:40 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Dave the Cat wrote:
I had a friend in college who spelled her name Eli, pronounced Ellie. But that is definitely not the norm!

This. This is my name pet peeve. Either spell it like it sounds or say it like its spelled, for criminy's sake.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:41 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

Desdemona wrote:

I feel this way too!!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:57 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

I use Pinterest as a visual way to organize bookmarks. On my food board, there are only links to actual recipes!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:22 am 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

aelle wrote:
I use Pinterest as a visual way to organize bookmarks. On my food board, there are only links to actual recipes!

Mine too, and everyone that I follow that's vegan I can trust to have clicked the link and made sure there is a recipe. The only time it doesn't pan out with a link to the actual recipe is when I go searching for something to pin like "vegan potato salad" probably half the pins that come up are garbage and I have to wade through that to find a good one. And I have maybe two pins that don't go to recipes - both just artsy pics of food that you don't need recipes for.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:55 am 
Seagull of the PPK

Efcliz wrote:
torque wrote:

I applaud this! My pet peeve is bloggers abusing copyright and blindly copying recipes out of books.

i am 100% cool with authors keeping their recipes too, that's fine. I mean, it is their property, so i satisfied myself with re-creating the recipe more or less from memory and imagining Isa's Interweb Recipe Recovery Squad going from blog to blog and resolving copyright infringement the old-fashioned way. Although the way things seem to be lately I should have looked for Braised Tofu with Miso and Potatoes and I probably would have found her recipe passed off as someone else's....

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:48 am 
WELFARIST!

I post pictures on my blogs without recipes. 99% of the time, it's because that recipe is from a cookbook and I'm not going to type it out without the author's permission. And I see it as a way to get people to possibly buy the cookbooks I think are awesome, thus helping out the author...or warning people about crummy recipes in books, and possible problems to look for. .5% of the time, it's something like tofu scramble, which people can figure out for themselves and the other .5% of the time, I just describe basically what I did, because I don't measure when I throw things together. I think that it's also about how you view blogs...I see them mostly as jumping off points and ways to get ideas to make my own stuff and rarely follow recipes I find on them anyway.

Never figured anyone thought it was annoying!

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:01 am 
Flounceiad 2011

torque wrote:
Efcliz wrote:
torque wrote:

i am 100% cool with authors keeping their recipes too, that's fine. I mean, it is their property, so i satisfied myself with re-creating the recipe more or less from memory and imagining Isa's Interweb Recipe Recovery Squad going from blog to blog and resolving copyright infringement the old-fashioned way. Although the way things seem to be lately I should have looked for Braised Tofu with Miso and Potatoes and I probably would have found her recipe passed off as someone else's....
By "linking to a recipe if it's not the blogger's own," I obviously meant a link to the legitimate, duly accredited recipe, either posted by the author themselves or with a proper citation of the source by the blogger. Personally, I don't tend to post other people's cookbook recipes on my blog (because what would be the point of that?), but when I've used one for inspiration I've linked to the book's Amazon page. These often feature the "look inside" option, but even if they don't, a curious reader knows which one to look for if they're sufficiently interested. That said, I'm generally disinclined to shell out for a cookbook without being able to look at at least a few of the recipes first; if someone posts a photo of a dish from a cookbook and there's no immediate way to check out the ingredients, etc., I'm unlikely to go to a bookstore to look it up. So (at least for me) it's not an effective means of promoting sales; I'm more inclined to buy then book after I've made and liked a few things from it. But maybe that's just me; I'm all about the instant gratification.

Last edited by Desdemona on Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:07 am 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

I never figured it was annoying either, AP! My blog is a means to share what it's like to eat vegan - weeknights, fancy weekend meals, etc. I'm not a chef, and I cook from cookbooks a lot. I don't always have the right to post the recipe, but at least from my understanding from people I know who read my blog, it's still interesting to see just how someone is vegan 24/7. Oftentimes I'll just link to the Amazon page for the cookbook. I guess I see blogging as not a way to be a recipe author, but as a way to showcase how one goes from meal to meal keeping their ethics intact.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:22 am 
WELFARIST!

paprikapapaya wrote:
I never figured it was annoying either, AP! My blog is a means to share what it's like to eat vegan - weeknights, fancy weekend meals, etc. I'm not a chef, and I cook from cookbooks a lot. I don't always have the right to post the recipe, but at least from my understanding from people I know who read my blog, it's still interesting to see just how someone is vegan 24/7. Oftentimes I'll just link to the Amazon page for the cookbook. I guess I see blogging as not a way to be a recipe author, but as a way to showcase how one goes from meal to meal keeping their ethics intact.

Yeah, exactly. I link to the amazon page for the books as well, or if I got the inspiration from someone else's blog, I'll link to that page. Not all blogs are meant to be recipe resources.

Current peeve: If I post a picture of something I'm eating, you know I'm vegan, and it's got a little #vegan in the caption, don't post and say, 'Such and such item is vegan?' Yep, sure is, otherwise I wouldn't post about eating it. Maybe they're more surprised than trying to call me out, but then say something like, 'Wow, I didn't know that was vegan, awesome!' instead.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12954 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 307, 308, 309, 310, 311, 312, 313 ... 519  Next