| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4359 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 142, 143, 144, 145, 146, 147, 148 ... 175  Next
 Post subject: Re: Ventilation Station 2.0
PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:16 am 
Seagull of the PPK

god Sashi you just made me have a flashback. that time was so horrible that I really must have blocked out so much. I remember having complete adrenaline rushes and getting to work soaked in sweat, exhausted after the morning roundup and delivery. All I can say is that someday it will be a distant memory, and I hope you can survive til then with some shreds of composure!! hang in there, it sure ain't easy.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:29 am 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

oh man Sashi you are totally having the same schedule fun that we are! And the eating thing, yep...D is conditioned to having these long mornings with like 3 small breakfasts and now we're just trying to get her to eat a larger meal so she isn't starving at school - I mean, it's 2.5 hours but when she gets HUNGRY its like the end of the world. I so forking wish we'd tried for morning pre-k instead of afternoon but we thought it'd be easier, wrong again!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:17 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

I was thinking that 2.5 hours would be a nice break and I can spend time with Alice. Ha. I end up with 45 min to an hour by myself (which I do things like eat breakfast) and hardly any awake time with Alice. It's kind of funny. I now have a baby who actually likes to nap in bed and not on me but half the time she can't because I'm dragging her all around to school, a class, playdates, etc. At least I finally got them on the same after lunch nap!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 4:26 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Husband's whole family was in Newport for a wedding this weekend, and Vi's cousin just started daycare. So of course her cousin was sick, and of course today she is sick as well. Yaaay. I suppose I should be glad that we've gone since about Spring without any toddler plagues, but not thrilled it's starting up again.. Was planning to take V to legoland this weekend to see a friend I went to high school with (and her daughters), but that probably won't be happening now.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:00 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

im glad the fashion show went ok and only ended up being one outfit. i think sometimes grandparents forget the reality of having a small child!

when my inlaws came to visit a week after BP was born they brought a couple outfits and my MIL had knit her a sweater and my MIL was all like "oooh im going to play dress up with her tomorrow!" (with a week old baby!)

ehhhh.....thankfully my inlaws are so easily distracted and either it had been a joke anyways or she just forgot because it never happened.

my vent is this sleep thing. i know i know oldest story in the book but i am struggling with her lack of a schedule of ANY kind. she just wont nap. absolutely refuses. and for awhile it was ok because it wasnt really affecting her mood or nighttime sleep but lately she seems like she NEEDS a nap but will only nap ontop of me.
the second i move her she fully wakes up.
yesterday we slept a little late in the morning because she had woken up several times the night before and wouldnt sleep in her cosleeper. then she fell asleep nursing around 11 or 12 but i couldnt leave her on me because i was boiling chik peas in the kitchen and they were done. so when i moved her to the pack n play she woke up and was wide awake. was awake for the rest of the afternoon until our afternoon walk where she USUALLY will sleep for a good chunk of it in the ergo. she was awake the entire first half of our hour+ walk. i had to change her diaper on the walking trail (how am i going to do that in the winter?) and then she was awake for part of the return walk. im guessing she slept for maybe 30 mins tops. then she didnt fall asleep on the car ride back like i hoped she might (its literally a 2 min ride though) and then didnt fall asleep nursing after like i thought she would. i was fully prepared to let her nap on top of me at that point but she stayed awake.

by the time my husband got home from work she was so tired she just like looked at him like "yeah big deal" and usually she is all excited to see him.
she was so sleepy/cranky she wouldnt sit in her high chair while we ate but one of us had to hold her and attempt to eat at the same time.
then i took her into the bedroom at 6:45 to nurse and she passed out on me. i had the audacity to think *i* didnt want to go to bed at 6:45 and around 7:30 attempted to move her into her cosleeper and she woke up and that started several hours of screeching like we were trying to stab her. we tried to change her diaper at one point and you would have thought she was lying on top of flames or something from the noises she was making.

she used to like it if my husband walked around with her and would often fall asleep like that. no deal anymore. my husband tried to lay down with her on top of him and that only ellicitted MORE shrieking. it HAS to be mommy (in fairness he is really skinny and bony and has no boobs)
so finally i gave up and even though she had just nursed like 30 mins prior she went on to nurse for 40 mins straight (shrieking must make you hungry) and then i let her sleep ontop of me. finally at 12:45 i moved her to her cosleeper successfully where she stayed until this morning.

so yeah it took me 6 hours to get her into her cosleeper.
id like to chock it up to just a bad night but i have seen a pattern forming lately of her refusing to sleep in the cosleeper. when i put her in it on her back she starts shrieking like she's in pain.
i think she's big enough now that i feel a bit safer having her in the bed with me so i might just have her in the bed with us from now on. this morning i actually got her into a position so i could sleep on my side which is SOOOO much more comfy for me than on my back with her on top of me.

i will be doing my damnedest to get her to nap today even if i have to be immobile for an hour.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:02 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

sashi wrote:
I was thinking that 2.5 hours would be a nice break and I can spend time with Alice. Ha. I end up with 45 min to an hour by myself (which I do things like eat breakfast) and hardly any awake time with Alice. It's kind of funny. I now have a baby who actually likes to nap in bed and not on me but half the time she can't because I'm dragging her all around to school, a class, playdates, etc. At least I finally got them on the same after lunch nap!

What you are going through is exactly what I went through when I had Miles and Reno was in Pre-K. Even the year she was in preschool and I was pregnant with Miles wasn't really a break at all. By the time I got home from dropping her off I had maybe an hour to myself before I had to leave to get her again.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:08 pm 
***LIES!!!***

This is why I feel generally meh about enrolling Malka in a 2-3 hour preschool thing. I feel like it wouldn't buy me any time to do anything, I'd just have the pressure of having to show up someplace at specific times which is not something I generally deal well with.

My new vent is that Malka apparently doesn't need sleep anymore. She is just done with that whole scene. Also, even when she does sleep, she needs someone to be sleeping with her the entire time or she wakes over and over and over again. Last night my husband or I was in bed with her all night and still, she woke up multiple times asking for the other parent and we would switch. It was absurd. Although the times I was alone in bed were pretty sweet.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:22 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Yeah, I was considering doing half days 2-3x/week. On one hand, I think Vi would LOVE the interaction with other kids and learn a lot and have a blast. It would give me the energy to recharge and be a better parent for the rest of the day. But when I started looking into actual scheduling, it seemed a lot less useful. There really isn't a lot out there for people who want a regular break long enough to run some errands and relax, but not full time care.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 5:40 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

For us, preschool does give me a decent break because it's 3.5 hours, it's very close (a 3 minute drive/15 minute walk), and my husband takes our daughter on his way to work in the morning. The fact that my husband takes her is probably the most important....

Still, the getting sick constantly means that she's already missed 1/3 of preschool. Sigh. If my daughter didn't love school so much, I might have reconsidered even though I really like the break (when she's well enough to go there!).

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:51 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

We do two mornings a week for three hours, and I think it's great. I get two and half hours to clean the house, listen to podcasts, shower, go to the dentist, get a haircut... Walter loves school, and it's his only socialization (no siblings or cousins or neighborhood kids), so for us preschool is fantastic. But I'm not juggling a second child's nap schedule--that sounds really hard, sashi.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:37 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

She does love school so it's worth it in that regard. If we really wanted to my husband could do the drop off but that would mean he would be coming home after dinner and that would just be way worse. One of her friends does three 3.5 hr days with lunch at the same school and I almost wish I got her into that class but then I remember that this is her first time on her own and the two 2.5 hr days is probably just enough for her.
Ugh helbury, I am not looking forward to the sicknesses this year may bring!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:51 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Wednesday morning, we leave home at 7:15 for our journey to the States. Taxi/bus/plane...all fine, save some insanity/business at airport security. Then....

We arrive at Dulles a few minutes late. We wait in a huge huge long line at customs. Then, in security, then refuse to let us go through ahead of anyone else even though our plane is leaving soon. People going through with their shoes, but we have to take ours off. Then this stupid bisque gives me and Karl a hard time because we won't send Freya through the x-ray machine dealie until one of us is on the other side. Multiple times she asks me (and K too) to just send her through "it will be fine", suggesting that she would hold her hand while one of us came next. When I tried to go through the machine, she told me that I should send F again, and I said "look, it's not going to happen". I mean, really, Jesus H. Christ, Freya is 22 months old. I am her mother. I am 100% sure that if I send her alone through this door (through which she cannot return), she is going to flip her shiitake. I seriously have never wanted to punch someone so badly in my whole life.

Of course, we miss the plane. Nothing more that night, except a flight in 2 1/2 hours (with a tired baby) to Detroit, which is the complete other side of the State and a 3 hour drive from my folks house. We book for Thursday at 12:19. Fine. No help with a hotel of course, because it's not the airline's fault, but that of the dillholes in airport security. Get to the hotel and Freya at least, is happy as a clam, playing in the walk in closet...only upset when I told her she couldn't take a bath until the morning.

Next day, we go very early to the airport to get through security (which was admittedly much much nicer this time) and get some food for the flight since there's no lunch service. The flight is pushed back to 12:40, then 1:20 and on and on. About 1:40, we get on the plane and start our taxi to the runway, only to return a few minutes later because there is a problem with the brakes. This of course, is after I boobed Freya and she is out like a light for what I thought was going to be a nice little nap on our short flight. Fanfuckingtastic! Then, while we wait at the gate for the mechanics, some lady asks if she can smoke outside. They open the back door of the plane and she stands there smoking on the little platform at the top of the stairs. Are you kidding me? A few minutes later, the lady two rows behind us starts spraying hair spray. Dante never saw nothing like this, man.

1/2 hour later, we have to disembark the plane and wait in the terminal. More delays (though the tote board in Grand Rapids says we landed at 2:08 says my dad!). A refusal to offer meal vouchers because we are about 7 minutes short of the required 4 hour delay. Wait for the mechanics to come back to fix the plane..they don't come for well over an hour and a half. The later flight (the one we'd missed the day before) is fully booked. Flights to Chicago (where my sister lives) = fully booked. We are looking at spending another night in Virginia and I am preparing to pitch a hissy fit. 4:15, we finally get on the plane and after a long wait for a runway, make our way through turbulent skies to GR.

Now, my other sister lives in DC, but in the city and is without a car, as she and her man are getting ready to move in about a month (he's already gone). So, I'm talking to her on the phone and it's apparent that we're not going to be able to meet while we're there. I'm feeling sad about that, but planning on seeing her Monday when she's taking vacation to come to MI too.

Now, today, after a meeting at work, she has found out that, because of the government shutdown, she is not going to be able to take her vacation because she will not get paid for any time she's not at work, even if she's on holiday or sick. It's not that she won't get paid on her Nov 1st paycheck, but that they won't get paid *at all*. So, she's gone to work this week two days with bronchitis and now is canceling her vacation to see her only niece whom she hasn't seen in a year.

I am at my folks' house and Freya is in love. She is just wandering around saying "Gamma's house! Gampa's house!" She's been looking forward to seeing her aunts and husbands and their dogs too.

I'm having a hard time letting go of some of the rage I'm feeling right now.

Vent...vent..vent.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:09 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

oh.my.god.

there are no words.

im sorry that is a shiitake ton of crapola.

you should go outside and scream really loud til you feel a tiny bit better

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:12 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Oh no Refinnej!! That sounds horrible. Actually it sounds a lot like my Monday!!

It's too bad we weren't stuck at Dulles the same night, we could've had a pity party/playdate at the Doubletree over cheeseless Papa John's.

That whole deal with the scanner is ridiculous. Vi got routed through the metal detector instead each time and us along with her. One time they didn't realize my husband was with us and they tried to make him go through the voyeurscan and he asked for a hand check instead*, and of course they were tsssking and eyerolling and then they started barking at us "WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR? WE SAID COME THROUGH HERE!!!" and I'm like, "uh, my husband?" And then they waved us all through the metal detector. SO silly.

Oh, and on another occasion they decided that since her food was too opaque (and I was not traveling across the country with no toddler food, because the chances of her being willing and able to eat whatever's on the plane were slim), my husband or I was going to need a pat down. Only, they let us decide WHICH ONE OF US got the pat down. If that isn't security theater I don't know what is!!

* one of husband's many hats is ensuring radiological safety onboard with the reactor, and if he says that he's read through the FAA-released safety documents and there's a ridiculous amount of handwaving and unclear potential for user error, I believe him.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:33 pm 
Semen Strong

Oh nnej, how horrible! I am happy you are home with your parents and that Freya is getting some much appreciated grandparent time and I hope that the rest of your visit is happy, easy and uncomplicated.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:07 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Wow, refinnej, that is freaking horrible.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:52 pm 

Wow ... That is unbelievably bad. I'm sorry that happened to you guys.

We fly a lot, and security has never made us go through that thing. They always pull us over to the side and we go through the regular metal detector of days gone by.

Sorry to add insult to injury, but we also have regularly been pushed to the front of long lines due to carrying a baby/toddler. I have always surprised been at how nice security has been in that regard (opening a new lane for us, etc.)

Last time we flew, our plane had a mechanical problem and it kept being delayed. So awful. I swear ten minutes after babynut was asleep in my arms for a nap, we had to deplane since that flight was cancelled. Ugh. She woke up and was awake the entire time we had to wait and wait and wait for a way home. Worst trip ever!

So, boring story even more boring, I feel your pain. Let's hope you have no drama going home.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:39 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

refinnej, I am appalled on your behalf. My jaw dropped at the smoking part - this sounds like a violation of many, many laws, not to mention safety procedures (although those are specific to each airport so I can't say for sure. But I CANNOT imagine that anywhere in the EU it would be declared legal and safe to smoke on the runway or in taxi. Especially while a plane is experiencing yet unassessed technical difficulties, FFS!) (It's also illegal to have aerosol sprays in the cabin, so that hair spray was another failure of security).
If you find the courage, I would definitely write a letter of complaint to the airline and the airport. What happened and how you were treated is absolutely not ok.

I hope the rest of your holiday and your return flight go without a peep.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:06 am 
Cranky

refinnej, I know it's scant comfort, but it seems that I always have trouble getting in to Grand Rapids, especially if I'm coming in to the US from abroad. Once I got stuck in Chicago around 9 pm--luckily I have good friends there, so I could crash. But I've never tried to do all of that with a young child!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:13 am 
Seagull of the PPK

yes, we saw a lot of badness flying into/out of Dulles (we entered the US there this time and then flew up to Newark, something we usually don't do)-- the lines were ridiculously long and there was way too much drama around that puff machine and xrays, especially. i would have lost my shiitake bringing a small child through it. glad you survived!!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:02 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

How terrible! I know how frustrating delayed air travel is - but I have never had it happen with a small child!!! Glad you made it to your folks house!

We had a nice vacation with my family until we headed home and ended up hitting one of those pieces of big rig truck tires that was littering the highway. What I thought was a little bumper ding was actually damage to the bumper, both front wheel wells and some sort of very expensive "deflector" under the car. We get to meet with the insurance man on the 21st...I like how quickly they jump on these things. I will feel especially stylin' driving my car around with the bungee cord holding the front of my car together for the next two weeks.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:12 am 

I forgot to add in my post: The smoking thing is completely inappropriate. You should definitely report that. How is that even possible?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:50 am 
Nooch of Earl

Yeah also with customs when I flew back from Japan alone with Violet I got waved through the expedited flight crew line in customs. It was a good thing, since Violet is not good at lines. I think I looked frazzled, which may have helped.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:27 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

OMG Refinnej! Your Dante comment made me lol out loud, but that is so horrible. Although honestly, the hair spray thing would peas me off way worse than the smoking. How did that get past security? And speaking of security, that is so kooky that they wanted to send Freya through first!!! (As for missed meal vouchers, they kind of suck if you're vegan. I got them once and had a choice of cheesy or cheesy and meaty sandwiches. This was 13 years ago, though.)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:40 pm 

Thanks all for the kind words. I too, was flabbergasted at the smoking thing. I will, of course, write and complain to the airline. Thus far, my time here though has largely been filled with caring for Freya who caught a cold during this whole process. I caught the same cold, but a day later. Freya though, wasn't able to deal with the phlegm very well and vomited for the first time ever early yesterday morning (followed by several more rounds throughout the day). After some early morning puking today which I suspect was mostly reacting to nursing on an empty stomach, she seems to be recovering pretty well. Yesterday, she slept 5 1/2 hours during the day and still fell asleep in her clothes at 7:30. We're still not 100%, but she's getting there. Then, Karl skips dinner to sleep and says that he thinks he may have the flu.

They are both sleeping now, and I pray that this new week ahead brings us better luck. Whew.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4359 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 142, 143, 144, 145, 146, 147, 148 ... 175  Next