| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:24 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 356 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: Tasty vegan products in the Low Countries
PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:40 am 
So Totally Yiffy

pickledtreats wrote:
That's awesome!

I'm ordering a few things from veggiedeli and I'm curious about the mayos they have there. I usually get the vegan mayo that they sell at the EkoPlazas (not sure the brand), but veggiedeli has Vayonaise and Plamil brand mayos. Anyone tried these? Is one of them the mystical amazing mayo from Belgium?

The plamil ones are really good, although I did not really like the rice one (do they still have that one?). I tried the Vayonaise a while ago, it wasn't bad but it didn't taste like mayo at all.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:29 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

lepelaar, Can we (I) talk you in to taste testing your Vayonaise sample from Veggiedeli for comparison? I was so close to ordering the 1kg bag, but if it's as "yiffy" as Marla666 suggests, maybe I don't want it after all.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:42 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Hang on... off to give it a taste.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:04 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Hmm... interesting. It's not bad. It does taste like mayo to me, but slightly sweeter than some of the other mayo I've tried. It's not as good as the Plamil or Vetara (or of course, the magical Belgian shiitake!) but it's better than some others I've had. I'm wondering if German mayo is just different from Dutch/Belgian mayo. The two worst vegan mayos I've ever had were German: Machandel bio eivrije mayo and another German mayo in a yellow tube (I can't remember that name). At one point the Eko Plaza in Amsterdam stopped carrying Vetara and they only sold those two and I thought they were both awful: kind of oddly greasy and overly sweet. The Vayonnaise is better than those. It tastes a little like the flax seed mayo on the PPK site, which was a bit too sweet for my tastes too.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:08 am 

I like the Vetara mayo a lot. Sour = great. Sounds like I shouldn't buy this stuff expecting Vetara/BE magic. (Would stirring in vinegar be cheating too much?) In any case, thanks for the taste test + report!

And yeah, that German mayo is shiite. I would never ever eat that again, never. The texture is ok, but the color is weird and the taste is waaay to sweet to count as "mayo" in my book.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:27 am 
So Totally Yiffy

lepelaar wrote:
Hmm... interesting. It's not bad. It does taste like mayo to me, but slightly sweeter than some of the other mayo I've tried. It's not as good as the Plamil or Vetara (or of course, the magical Belgian shiitake!) but it's better than some others I've had. I'm wondering if German mayo is just different from Dutch/Belgian mayo. The two worst vegan mayos I've ever had were German: Machandel bio eivrije mayo and another German mayo in a yellow tube (I can't remember that name). At one point the Eko Plaza in Amsterdam stopped carrying Vetara and they only sold those two and I thought they were both awful: kind of oddly greasy and overly sweet. The Vayonnaise is better than those. It tastes a little like the flax seed mayo on the PPK site, which was a bit too sweet for my tastes too.

I agree that the Machandal mayonaise is way too sweet (and really weird looking) but I don't think it has to do with it being German. Bruno Fischer is also a German brand and that is one of my favorites!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:33 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I put in my order at veggiedeli and they had a few little containers of vayonaise, so I bought a few to hit the next spot for cheaper shipping. I also bought a little jar of mayo at the eko plaza today because I'm out (and I NEEDS MAH MAYO), but it looks like I got the Machandel. The one you all say is shiitake. Gah! I think the one I usually get is De Rit, but I can't remember.

I want that magical Belgian mayo.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:40 am 

Mayooooooooooooooo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:44 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

This is not a "tasty" vegan product, but I'm wondering if you guys know of a good online yarn shop in the NL or in Europe where I can get plant-based yarns. There is a little craft shop nearby where I bought some cotton/acrylic yarn for a sweater, but everything else they have is either super cheap, itchy acrylic or sheep wool.

My only other option right now is to travel to another city and scope out some yarn shops, but that is expense on top of expense. And in the past I've walked into yarn shops that I thought had HUGE selections only to find most if not all of the yarns were made of animal fibers.

Not tasty unless you like eating yarn like my cats (worst hairballs ever), but if you know of a webshop please let me know!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:52 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Pickledtreats, maybe the comments on this blog post can give you some leads? http://www.watmaakt.suzette.nu/in-de-ma ... more-10088

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:54 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

pickledtreats wrote:

Belgium meetup?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:12 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

lepelaar wrote:
pickledtreats wrote:

Belgium meetup?

If there's a meetup, I'll be there!
*unless it's on 26/27th of october

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:34 am 

I'd love to see you guys. Been a long, long while! Maybe something in November or December? (Should we start a thread?)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:36 am 
Bathes in Braggs

On various forums, I've seen people ask about being vegan in the Netherlands. I did a google search and apparently there is no English guide to being vegan in Holland, so I decided to make one. I'd really appreciate it if you peeps took a look. It's quite a long text (I figured more information is better), so don't feel compelled to read through all of it, but any comments or improvements are very welcome!

http://vegetus.nl/overige-schrijfsels/vegan-in-holland/

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:58 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

that looks great, cornelie, and how cool that you did that. my only comments would be:1) you missed an 'h' in 'ethnic' at the beginning of the section about tokos, 2) i would mention to look out for honey in some ontbijtkoek, and 3) you may want to consider using 'meat analogue' instead of 'meat replacer'. it's more clear and specific. 'meat replacer' could also be beans, mushrooms or eggplant. 'meat analogue' comes closer to what i think of with 'vleesvervanger'.

i'm going to bookmark your page to pass along!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:12 am 

Wow, awesome work cornelie. Can you make something like a table of contents at the start (even Wikipedia-style) so that people know at a glance what will be covered? Also, I had no idea AH sold vegan bacon! The More You Know™.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:44 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Thanks guys! I'll make the changes you suggested.

The vegan bacon at AH is a new thing. This is the first week they carry it. I'm going to try the 'beef' variety for the first time tonight. I'm a bit scared to try the bacon, it looks so realistic!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:56 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

i saw that they introduced some vegan vleesvervangers at some of the ah's this week! i'm really curious how they are. please let us know, cornelie!

i have to say that i tried the bacon from the vegetarische slager (they're selling it at the delhaize here) and it was really good. fatty and smoky and it crisped up really nicely in the pan. also tried the bacon from greenway (also sold at the delhaize) and wasn't as impressed, although i really like their chicken pieces.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:54 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

We just had the new AH 'beef' roerbakreepjes. I sauteed them in a little oil and served them with a mix of broccoli, kale and sundried tomatoes similar to the recipe for seitan and brussel sprouts in V'con.

I have mixed feelings about this product. First of all, the 'beef' is seasoned with nutmeg. It reminded me a little of my grandma's beef preparations, but the nutmeg is a bit too strong for my taste (and I really like nutmeg!). I bet it would be great with stamppot and other traditional Dutch dishes, and it tasted okay with the Italian flavors of the V'con dish, but I don't know if it would go well with an Asian stir fry or something similar.

Second, I'm not sure about the texture. The strips are quite thick and chewy, even downright tough and clay-like. I've never really liked chewing on big chunks of meat, so it could just be me, but next time I'll shred the strips a bit (they are made of thin compressed layers, so that should be easy enough) to make them less dense. I'll also try frying them in more oil so the exterior gets nice and crisp (the strips themselves don't seem to contain a lot of fat).

I will definitely try these again (if only because there aren't that many other options at AH), but I think I'll use them for something traditional and Dutch, where the nutmeg won't be so obvious. I bet they'd be good with potatoes and sauerkraut! I hope the 'chicken' strips have a more neutral flavor that goes well with Asian stuff. I like that these strips are made of (local?) pea protein and veggies rather than soy or lupini. Variety is the spice of life after all! I also like that they are affordable, 'only' €2,39 for a 175. These are very filling, so one container is enough for two or three people.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:54 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I just got an order from the ARF Shop.

I had ordered a bunch of Go Max Go bars, some Redwood cold cuts, two flavors of regular style Sheese and two tubs of the Sheese creamy style. They were out of Jokerz, no big deal. But they were apparently out of all of the flavors of Sheese I had requested and substituted Cheezly for the the regular style, and two other flavors of cream cheese for the creamy style.

I can get Cheezly locally but don't like it. I ordered from them specifically because they had Sheese. The creamy flavors they sent are also not flavors I would have chosen (I already had one in my fridge and the other - sweet chili - is not usually my cup of tea). But I'll eat them.

I really wish they had contacted me first or just refunded me. I really want to support local vegan businesses, but after this, I think I'll be ordering from Veggiedeli from now on. Subbing one item... maybe ok. Subbing half my order. No.

And yes, this is totally a PSPTYHWAEPACTYP problem.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:21 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Aw that sucks lepelaar. Definitely give them some feedback to let them know you aren't satisfied and would have preferred them to check with you if the subs were okay.

FYI, to some extent Veggiedeli does this too. If you load 'vervangend product' in your shopping cart, they will give you alternative items if the item you want is not in stock. On my last order, about a quarter of the stuff I wanted was not available. I had selected 'vervangend product', but hadn't counted on so many subs and I didn't like all of them either. They did put some extra goodies in the box to make up for the grief. If you don't select 'vervangend product' they just give you part of your money back, so I may do that next time.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:58 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Yeah, I sent them an e-mail about it. They're a pretty new company so they still need to find out what works for them. I hope they'll change their procedure around this.

I'd seen the "vervangende product" at Veggiedeli. I like that they give you the choice, but it sounds like they went a little crazy with the vervanging.

Now I've got to decide if I want to give the Cheezly another chance or pass it on to someone else. I still want my Sheese though!

BTW, did you ever get the Wilmersburger blocks? How are they?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:43 am 
Bathes in Braggs

No, haven't tried the Wilmersburger blocks yet. Our local health food store recently started selling some Veggiedeli products, so we've been buying most of our specialty products there to support their new-found vegan awesomeness. Haven't managed to persuade them to start stocking the blocks yet, so I may do a Veggiedeli order for Xmas or something.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:30 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I have a block of the smoked Wilmersburgher in the freezer. Looking forward to making cubes!

I ordered this rookwurst for Veggiedeli that was so incredibly disgusting. I can't remember the brand, but it was huge. I opened it, tasted it, and immediately threw the whole thing away. Sad town! But such is life when you're experimenting with vegan junk food.

I'm not sure if I've asked you guys this before, but do you know of a good vegan protein powder? I like hemp protein, but I haven't been able to find it since I nabbed a discounted bucket at De Tuinen last year. The two health shops here don't even have a protein powder section. De Gastronoom does, but I haven't found much of a selection in the way of vegan powders.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:37 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Thanks for the heads up about the rookworst. I was thinking of trying it some time, but I'll ask some other Dutch rookworst lovers' opinions on it before ordering.

About the protein powder, De Tuinen still carries hemp, but like everywhere it is expensive. It goes on sale sometimes, so if you are patient and check their website regularly, you can get a good deal on it.

If you shop around online, you can find some good deals too, like this one
https://www.hempishop.nl/index.php?rout ... uct_id=142 (edit: lucky you, looks like this shop is based in Breda!)

Iherb is a pretty cheap/good option too, but your luck with customs tax may vary.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 356 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next