| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: GF Veggie "Sausages" and other replacements
PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:34 pm 
Tofu Pup

Hey everyone, I've been eating gluten-free for the past four years. One thing I've missed is the Morningstar breakfast sausage patties. (I forgot if those were vegan or vegetarian.)

I had an idea for making a breakfast sausage style patty. I'm thinking about doing Isa's baked falafel recipe from Appetite for Reduction, but with traditional breakfast sausage spices (sage, rosemary, thyme, cayenne, nutmeg). Other than that being quite a bit of work early in the morning, I thought that it might be softer or more crumbly than I'd prefer, but maybe it would be tasty.

Have any of you (who probably live in a bigger city) seen any g/f veggie sausage or other quick, easy meat replacements? Here in southern Michigan, I have found two g/f veggie burgers: Amy's Sonoma burger and Qrunch branch quinoa burgers. (The Italian style Qrunch is awesome--tastes like Italian falafel.) Has anyone attempted making burgers or sausages without gluten? I've been able to do some chickpea-based and black bean sweet potato burgers, but have yet to try the breakfast side of things.

Post subject: Re: GF Veggie "Sausages" and other replacements
PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:15 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Hmmm, I haven't found any ready-made, but I have made some of my own using a recipe from the Great Vegan Bean Book.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:21 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

http://www.celiac.com/articles/22245/1/Vegan-Breakfast-Sausage-Gluten-Free/Page1.html

This recipe at celiac.com looks sort of doable and the spices seem on target. I found it or a very similar recipe (different by 2 spices) on SparkPeople too. I have not tried it BUT: it looks like you might be able to make ahead to the point where you roll the links in the spices to cover them, and then refrigerate or freeze; you fry them in oil. Read and see what you think.

It also says "mash in bowl" but if you do have a food processor and it's not a big production to get it out and use it that may save time too.

I didn't find "vegan gluten free breakfast sausage" either. (I did --boo, hiss--find a few recipes where the authors absolutely don't "get" gluten-free. I mean, come on--2 tablespoons WHOLE WHEAT flour?)

HTH a little at least. Good luck!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:23 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

while i haven't found any ready-made ones yet, i looove jes' tempeh tube sausages and ricki's breakfast patties.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:41 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

i used to use the VWAV sausage crumble recipe to flavor TVP crumbles, which while they're not a patty, might hit the spot texture and flavor-wise and be useful in other recipes like breakfast burritos or whatever.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:23 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Ugh, I wish there were more pre-made xgfx sausages. The homemade ones taste better, but I'm soooo lazy (this totally belongs in the first-world problems thread, or whatever it's called now)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:41 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

I've never tried these,but here's another! http://thevword.net/2012/10/veganmofo-s ... usage.html