| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 250 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: yoga, all varieties
PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 4:37 pm 
Naked Under Apron

i would be crying too, ap. she sounds like an amazing teacher - wise and mindful and so open-hearted as well. it sounds like the readings she's sharing are personal to her, too. i like that. you're kicking some serious asparagus this month. i'm sorry to hear about your shoulders - i hope they calm down soon so you're not so uncomfortable.

so far this month's yoga immersion has had its ups and downs for me. the first week i was rock'n it, the second got tough, but i did some digging and made it awesome, and now this week's been a "fork it" kinda week, but i'm learning a lot about myself despite all that. there are some behavioral patterns that don't serve me which i find myself still falling back on. it's so frustrating to me. i know better, i just feel so stuck sometimes. i need to let them go. part of me doesn't want to because, well, it's a combination of me being lazy, fearful, stubborn and being too damn comfortable where i am and with how things are, but i realize in all of this - i'm not being flexible with my mind and i'm not creating any space for myself - how am i supposed to make a safe space for change if i won't allow it!?! were i more flexible in mind then i would let some of these things go - these things that cause me suffering, these things that no longer serve me, these things that frankly - aren't so good for me no matter how hard i try to convince myself that they are.

so here's to working on letting go of that which does not serve us - may we be gentle with ourselves in this process. <3

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:06 am 
WELFARIST!

Nebraskalaska wrote:
YOU GUYS! I got into headstand on my own for the first time yesterday!!! I was in it for a grand total of 3 seconds before ungracefully coming out of it, but still! My teacher yelled "congratulations" and gave me a hug when I told her.

Hooray!!! I used to do headstands ten years ago and I remember it was such a great feeling. Just keep at it and you'll be able to stay in a little longer and little longer till you're comfy and steady. Congrats!!!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:24 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

So, I took two weeks off - partially because my knee was really hurting me and I needed to rest it and also because the studio was closed to get a new floor.

The studio reopened last Saturday, and I have been having THE BEST classes this past week. Taking that time to heal has really helped a few of my postures. Yay yoga!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:33 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

The hot room smelled like nooch today for some reason. I thought you all would appreciate knowing that.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:34 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Today people in my yoga class had such good costumes! The teacher was a cat cow. It is hard enough for me to put on pants at all in the morning, so I did not participate.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:56 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I didn't even think about people wearing costumes to class! That's funny. I'm going tonight, but I don't think that anyone will wear a costume - at bikram you tend to want to be wearing as little as possible. I wish I did have one of those devil horn headbands though...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:59 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

There was also candy at the end, and at one point we had to be zombies.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:12 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

The catcow made me laugh

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:18 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

My favorite Iyengar-style teacher opened up a yoga studio this month, so I am going to class twice a week and loving it.

No one dressed up for class this morning, but we had an amazing 20 minute pranayama session.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:05 pm 
WELFARIST!

I have never worn a costume to class (although I would!) but to my Wednesday yoga class I wore my Frankenstein face shirt (that's like Boris Karloff's face from the movie). I always bust that out around Halloweentimes especially.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:26 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

I didn't go to class yesterday, but people dressed up for my Wednesday class. And I was the only one NOT dressed up. The instructor said something about 'The reason I told you all to wear costumes...', so I obviously didn't get the memo. I just went to their facebook page and she'd posted something earlier that day. But I don't have a smart phone, so I'm not constantly on the internet, and when I am, I'm not constantly checking their page for updates! Weird. But the post said that it we HAD to wear costumes because it was essential to the lesson. Oops, she probably thought I just didn't give a fork.

Anyway, I finished my 30 day challenge! I went to both my 29th and 30th classes with a fever and body aches, but darn it, I did it. No way was I going to let being sick get in the way of me finishing a month's worth of work. It turned out ok, though, because that 30th class was a hot class and I'm pretty sure my fever broke during it. By the time we were done, I felt weak, but no more body aches or chills. Yay, yoga! I'm going to do some at home yoga when I'm done with work for the day...we'll see how it goes. I think I'm actually going to miss going to all these classes!

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:18 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

I just started a 30DC yesterday with a double - I didn't have any power/internet at home (so much wind!) so I figured I'd just do a bunch of yoga. I'm glad the studio is running one this month because between school, getting ready to go to Ireland for a month, and a new manfriend-type person - I'm going to need that extra push to make yoga and myself a priority.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:09 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

Does anyone know the dvd series "the ultimate yogi with Travis Eliot"? It's a 12 dvd set, each practice is 60 min long.
I've started doing it several weeks ago and I like it, though I find it a bit too intense, as I'm a beginner.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:02 pm 
Naked Under Apron

congrats on the 30 day challenge, ap! i would have rocked it out be'n sick as well. hells yeah! my 30 day immersion was awesome and i am going to continue 15 minutes of pranayama either before or after my practice from now on. i did that during the immersion before mysore and i am in love.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:44 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

This was an interesting article someone shared on FB.

Ten Alignment Cues Yoga Teachers Need to Stop Giving
LINK: http://yogainternational.com/article/vi ... top-giving

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:29 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

Awesome article, thanks Quagga.

The Science of Yoga, The Risks and Rewards is next on my reading list, and deals a lot with that sort of stuff.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:14 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

The author of that book also wrote an article on yoga for this week's NYT. I've been meaning to read that book, too.

Women’s Flexibility Is a Liability (in Yoga)
LINK: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/11/03/sunda ... h_20131103

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:38 pm 
WELFARIST!

quagga wrote:
This was an interesting article someone shared on FB.

Ten Alignment Cues Yoga Teachers Need to Stop Giving
LINK: http://yogainternational.com/article/vi ... top-giving

Yes, interesting. I've heard them all!

I'm trying to do more yoga lately. I did a Wai Lani DVD this morning before starting work and I feel good! Relaxed yet alert.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:25 pm 
Shopped till she dropped

I got into kapotasana for the first time today. I didn't get my elbows all the way to the ground, but my toes were about a centimeter from my head. I had no idea they were so close! I thought I still had a lot of yoga to do before it would ever happen for me.

I've been going to this teacher off and on for 7 years. Today he told me how proud he is and how great it's been to see my practice grow over the years.

I GOT YER VAGILANTE JUSTICE RIGHT HERE. ::grabs crotch:: - DarthCupcake

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:22 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

Has anyone checked out Sadie Nardini's new book The 21 Day Yoga Body? I wanted to mix up my daily home practice, so I bought this and just completed Day 4.

I was sort of worried it would be really body-shamey based on the title, but it's not really a weight loss book.

The daily yoga sequences are really challenging, but after just 4 days (plus a few vinyasa classes at a studio) I'm seeing results. I've got more tone in my biceps, my core seems stronger, I can get deeper into Pigeon, and a lot of the poses that seemed challenging on Day 1 are becoming accessible. I'm still drenched in sweat at the end of every session, but I'm not flailing about quite as much.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:02 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

I did an arm balances workshop yesterday and it was so fun! My arms and shoulders are so sore today.

Side crow also still alludes me. I think I'm crunching my side a little too much. I know if I could just get the alignment of my hips, knees and forearms right I could get into the pose, but all the puzzle pieces aren't quite fitting together yet. I'm looking forward to this being my new pet pose for the next few months.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:48 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I found this yogi on YouTube, and I so love his style. Duncanyoga.ca . He is so cute and relaxing and happy without getting into the realm of being too woowoo like I find some yoga teachers to be.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:35 am 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

I had a totally silly yoga injury the other day...I was in a class, and the teacher asked me to demonstrate coming up into shoulderstand through plow for the newer students. I swung up into plow a little too fast in all my yogi-excitement, and manged to slam the top of my middle toe into the ground behind my head. Pretty sure I broke it...its turned lotsa funny colors and I can't bend it.

I totally pretended like it didn't happen though...no one ever knew until I went to dinner at a friend's later that night and was limping!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:10 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

I need a decent but cheap-o yoga mat. The cruise I'm going on in a month is offering free daily yoga classes. I have to bring my own mat and my Manduka mat weighs approximately 400 pounds, so putting that into a suitcase is out of the question. I've experimented with travel mats in the past and hated them.

I want to buy a cheap mat that I can roll or fold up that is relatively thin but will still offer some support on wood floors. Gaiam sells $20 mats but I'm not sure if they'll fold up well.

Anyone have any experience with those or other cheap mats for travel? I really just need it for a week, so longevity isn't an issue.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:14 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

My first mat was a Gaiam mat from Target. It was pretty decent/resilient, and I think if you laid it across the bottom of your suitcase in big folds it wouldn't be too bad.

I keep thinking I need to get a travel mat too, since my regular mats are towel mats (so I can wash them after each sweaty sweaty Bikram class). They are awesome for my everyday routine but are horrible for travel. When I was in Ireland for a month I was renting mats and the quality is just so hit or miss... and the misses were pretty gross.

Today I had class with a new teacher and I had a sore neck and wasn't happy about other people being so close to me. I can't stand not feeling my best when there is a new teacher, I worry too much that they'll assume I am an incompetent newb.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 250 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next