| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:41 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 755 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 ... 31  Next
 Post subject: Re: Couch to 5K
PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:32 am 
Has Isa on speed dial

Just got back from my w2d1 run. Holy crepe. I've been utterly exhausted since the moment I woke up today, and hormonal to boot, but even by those standards that run was rough. Still, I completed every interval. I think the last two were fuelled by pure resentment. ;)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:23 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Ha! I think you can accurately track my menstrual cycle just by the days I've said "that run sucked!" in this thread. Running while hormonal can be so challenging. It's a big thing to finish even when the run was bad! You can be proud of yourself.

My first 25 minute run (not sure if I should count it as W6d3 or W7d1, since they're the same) was... meh. I like to finish with a sprint, but this time I had nothing left and was barely moving in the last 3 minutes. Also, it was the first time I had to run in heavy rain from start to finish. A truck splashed me from head to toe in the first 5 minutes.

(Then I biked to work and got drenched some more, and I wiped out on a pile of wet leaves, then I found out a meeting had been scheduled over my lunch break. BLAH.)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:37 pm 
Bought KAPOP LOAF

I'm coming up on w1d4. I pretty much physically can't run any longer than the intervals I'm currently at, so yeah... I feel super crummy when some middle aged lady comes sprinting by me and I'm huffing and puffing like a 70 year old smoker after running for like half a minute. Someday though! I'm really trying to stick to it this time!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:24 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

If you can't run any longer, can you run a bit harder? The podcast I use counts back the last 10 seconds of each running interval, and I always try to sprint those. I heard that short intervals of sprinting can efficiently increase your cardio condition (heart and lungs, typically what is missing when you start running rather than leg muscles), so that might help push you over the edge and get you ready for week 2.

(Oh, and for the first several weeks of the program I was totally coughing up a lung at the end of each running interval, and my walking intervals definitely did not qualify as "brisk" until I was 1 or 2 minutes in. You will improve!)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:28 am 
Ninja Master

Ugh I haven't run for like a month cuz of sickness, work and holiday. Back to it tomorrow... wish me luck!

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:05 pm 
Nailed to the V

Good luck! I'm hoping the slight cough that has been sneaking up on me for the last several days will go away before Thursday so I can go out then. I'm taking extra doses of my cortisone inhaler to improve the odds...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:46 pm 
Bought KAPOP LOAF

aelle wrote:
If you can't run any longer, can you run a bit harder? The podcast I use counts back the last 10 seconds of each running interval, and I always try to sprint those. I heard that short intervals of sprinting can efficiently increase your cardio condition (heart and lungs, typically what is missing when you start running rather than leg muscles), so that might help push you over the edge and get you ready for week 2.

(Oh, and for the first several weeks of the program I was totally coughing up a lung at the end of each running interval, and my walking intervals definitely did not qualify as "brisk" until I was 1 or 2 minutes in. You will improve!)

I've been trying to add one or two additional intervals at the end of the scheduled session. I can tell it's slowly getting better but it's so hard! I've been this bad at running since like middle school, so I'm trying to focus on gradual improvements.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:00 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

the podcast i used was very insistent to SLOW DOWN if you're having a hard time. at the beginning i really needed to hear that since i was constantly comparing myself to everyone and felt horrible when the old people blew past me. soon enough you will be kicking some butt yourself but at the beginning it is nice to hear someone telling you it's okay to take it easy. it also said to repeat it at least once and repeat weeks if you need to, as long as you don't stop.
keep up the good work. it seems impossible at the beginning but you can do it!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:10 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I have always sucked at running. I really feel like if I can do this, anyone can.

I had an epiphany today. I have been "running" on an elliptical lately due to sun rise and weather issues. The problem with this is that unlike a run outside, where at some point I have to get home, I can quit the elliptical any time. At about 2.2 miles I started feeling like I just could not do anymore. But I know that isn't true. I did 3.5 miles two days ago. So I took an inventory of myself and realized that my legs were not tired, I was not breathing that hard, and I had plenty of energy. What I was was bored. I didn't want to keep going because I was bored. So I decided to slow it down a little, and decided that I could definitely make it to at least 2.5 miles. I was listening to a podcast, so at 2.5 miles, I decided I could listen until the end of the segment. Then there was the lightning round, and I decided I could run fast until the end of that. Then I decided I could at least finish out the ending two minutes of the podcast. When all of these little milestones were done, I had done 3.2 miles. I think it really helped me to take a moment to assess what the real problem was.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:40 am 
Seagull of the PPK

oh running is such a mind game. i know that i am capable of running xxkm, since i've done it before, but every part of my body joins into the chorus of complaints and panic and "i can't"s until i am sure i will just have to lay down and die. it's a good exercise in mindfulness to do what you did- take an inventory and realize you're not dying, no matter what that little voice says.
i also often find myself having internal dialog "it's cold and we're going to die" "yeah, shut up now and when we reach that blue house we can talk again." "Okay, blue house, let's go home" "meh, we're running up the hill. talk to you at the pond."

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:10 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

torque wrote:
oh running is such a mind game. i know that i am capable of running xxkm, since i've done it before, but every part of my body joins into the chorus of complaints and panic and "i can't"s until i am sure i will just have to lay down and die. it's a good exercise in mindfulness to do what you did- take an inventory and realize you're not dying, no matter what that little voice says.
i also often find myself having internal dialog "it's cold and we're going to die" "yeah, shut up now and when we reach that blue house we can talk again." "Okay, blue house, let's go home" "meh, we're running up the hill. talk to you at the pond."

It is very funny, it also happens to me and I've seen it happening to other runners... while running our internal changes from the first person singular to the first person plural and sometimes to second and third person...
my internal dialog is mostly: "at this pace we'll to do two more laps", "remember relax and steady", "wait! is no time to go fast now", "you are doing great", "we still need to buy....", "tomorrow at work we need to...", "ohh man! how good it feels to do this!"

Anyway torque, have you tried to go a little slower and more relaxed? it seems to me that you are pushing yourself a little to hard and probably that's the reason your dialog looks like you are fighting instead of just enjoying the time.
One thing that helped me a lot to relax is to run based on time instead of distance... When I've to run a distance there is a little bit more pressure and I tend to run faster(I do enjoy that), but the purpose of most of the runs is only to increase the aerobic capacity and that is done by running relax. Speed will come with time and with other type of training.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:23 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

i wish i could say i was pushing! i haven't even been running much lately, sadly. i am a treadmill runner, far from my treadmill, and i really don't like running outside. [there, i said it out loud.]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:23 am 
Ninja Master

I don't like running outside either, torque. I'm a treadmill girl!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:57 pm 
Nailed to the V

Nope, the slight tickle in my airways turned into a real cold - no running today.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:14 pm 
Bought KAPOP LOAF

I think the best thing about doing this is that it gets me out of the house and I've realized how pretty my neighborhood is! Week2day2 now. I think I may need to stay at week 2 for a little while based on my current performance.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:00 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

aelle wrote:
Ha! I think you can accurately track my menstrual cycle just by the days I've said "that run sucked!" in this thread. Running while hormonal can be so challenging. It's a big thing to finish even when the run was bad! You can be proud of yourself.

Thanks Aelle! Luckily my last two runs have felt super easy...I think my body might have been apologising for whinging so much on monday.

Thessaly wrote:
I think the best thing about doing this is that it gets me out of the house and I've realized how pretty my neighborhood is! Week2day2 now. I think I may need to stay at week 2 for a little while based on my current performance.

Yeah, that's definitely my favourite part too. I always used to run on a treadmill because I felt self conscious, but I hated that thing. We kept it in this dark little corner of the room facing the TV and I just felt like I was trapped on a hamster wheel. I don't know what's different about this time, but I will only run outside and I don't care at all if people are looking at me! It's really liberating.

Anyway, I completed week 2 yesterday. It was a pretty good run. It rained a little which made me feel all badass running out in the elements, and I turned the last 90 second interval into a 2 and a half minute run. I'm pretty confident I can do the three minute intervals in week 3 now.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:50 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I haven't exercised in months. Probably since the spring when work got really busy and then I traveled to the states for over a month and came back without a routine in mind.

I tried doing the first day of c25k with an app, but the stupid app wouldn't tell me when to run! It promised to speak over music, but didn't, so I found myself running and walking based on my own feeling for a bit that day. I fixed the app, but I haven't been back out. I have had such little energy that I've barely been able to do anything in the afternoons or evenings - let alone exercise. I'm sleeping sometimes 12 and 13 hours a night, which I hate, but I'm hoping getting back into some regular exercising and eating better will help with that.

It is sunny here at the moment and I think it's time to give day 1 a chance. I'm thinking about it...

Weird hurdle for me, though, is my crazy hair. I have short hair with the sides shaved and when I wake up it's straight up in the air. I prefer to exercise when I've just gotten up and before I've showered, but my hair is insane. I've gone running a few times with bed head, but I'm self conscious the whole time. Haha. I would wear a hat, but I get so hot. I should post a picture of my hair right now. It is straight up.

Are you all using the C25k app?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:07 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

I don't use the app, I use a podcast (Chubby Jones's) that says when to walk and run, along with various words of encouragement.

It sounds like we have the same haircut! I run first thing in the morning with my bed mohawk, but I also have no sense of shame. I do wear a fleece band over my ears (a Buff-type thing) - through trial and error I have found it feels better to run with my head and feet super warm and the rest of my body underdressed (just a long sleeve running shirt, sometimes a windbreaker if it's pouring).

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:12 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

As for me, I haven't been running since last Monday. I have a throat infection and my energy levels are absurdly low (like, I get winded / dizzy climbing a single flight of stairs). I hope I haven't lost too much of my progress, when I feel better I will try to pick things back up at week 6 or 7.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:22 am 
Nailed to the V

Horrible, isnt't it? I get winded walking to school now (10 minutes). I'm going to dance class on tuesday no matter what, and hope I can run on Thursday. I'll just start over on week 1 and do it three more times.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:44 am 
Has Isa on speed dial

Yesterday was supposed to be my rest day. I went for a run anyway, because I was bored and just really really wanted to.
...I really wanted to run. Can I get a hell yeah for how awesome that is?!

pickledtreats wrote:
Are you all using the C25k app?

I am. I use this one while listening to history podcasts or really loud music, depending on my mood. It's always worked for me, but the voice is super quiet if I don't remember to turn my ringtone to full volume before plugging my headphones in.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:06 am 
Ninja Master

I use the app. It beeps when you have to run/walk and then I have my music going in the background.

The one I use is C25K lite. The only problem with it is is that if you change the music etc, the app pauses. But that's not that much of a problem really.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:36 am 
Nailed to the V

I use a podcast, I don't have a smartphone. I used Chubby Jones for the two runs I've done so far, but I'll probably try some other ones too.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:38 am 
So Totally Yiffy

Is anyone else doing the zombies, run! 5k trainer? It's pretty different - the intervals never really get over one minute, but there's tons of "free runs" and lots of other exercises like squats and skipping. I'm really enjoying the story but I'm doubting it will actually get me to running a 5k in eight weeks as I'm on week 5 and still lucky to eke out a stretch of 2 or 3 consecutive minutes during the free run portions. Also, there is no way I am stopping during a run in public to do squats. I almost feel like I will need to do a regular C25K program after this one :/ (But it is very fun and motivating! So, at least there is that?)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:11 am 
Has Isa on speed dial

I've downloaded Zombies, Run! but haven't used it yet. I was holding off because I heard it was hard and wanted to be a bit fitter before starting, but I'm kind of disappointed to hear about the other exercises. I am not squatting in the street either!

Ran w3d2 today in 30 degree heat and high humidity. I expected to die, but it was quite nice actually. I think it loosened me up.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 755 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 ... 31  Next