| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:38 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: Gym etiquette
PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:51 am 
Tofu Pup

Well,I read out all the posts about the gym etiquette and i am agree with your reviews.
According to me that gym work should be must for keep fitness of the body and build
the muscles.Gym work so good for reduce the extra body weight and fat.....

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:02 am 
Tofu Pup

rachell37 wrote:
Like Gulliver said, gym time is my time. I don't even like having a quick chat with people (I'm a bit of a misanthrope and socially awkward). I usually ride the recumbent bike because the regular stationary bikes make my asparagus sore. Anyway, I usually have my headphones on (and my iPod is strapped to my wrist, so it's really very clear that it's there) and I'm reading a book*, and people (usually staff) will still try to talk to me. These are the signs that I don't want conversation! If I have a problem, I'll seek out a member of staff. But I'm fine! Leave me alone!

*Yes, I still get an effective workout while reading a book.

Exactly the same for me, but I am going to a all female gym, which makes the shit-chat near to obligatory.
I got really passive agressive several times and now it got around that one shouldn't talk to that awkward "dyke". Yesss! All I ever wanted!
My bf has the same problem at his gym, but he's way too polite...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:08 pm 
Inflexitarian

Erinnerung wrote:
Next instalment in my Pump woes: I rushed out of work after hurrying to finish a brief that needed to be done, got to the gym about 20 minutes before Pump started and set up all my stuff. Got changed, went for a quick run and came back as the class was starting- to find some girl using my shiitake and no space or equipment left for me. I was actually totally shocked and confused (like who the fork does that? 'Oh, tee hee, all this carefully set up equipment must be for me because I'm a special forking snowflake'), and the class had already started so I just walked out and went for a rage-run. Now that I'm home I regret not going in there and making a (minor) scene about it. I love my gym and the staff are all great, but I just can't deal with the other people that go there. I wish I weren't too lazy to do all this stuff at home.

This JUST happened to me yesterday! Someone took my stuff after I set everything up. The class was full and no one had bench tops. But the chick that took my stuff didn't plan on that I have my own matt. The instructor kicked her out! Then she went on a rant about getting passes at the desk to make sure that everyone had equipment and so on.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:06 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Coming back to this thread to ask a question. What do you do when your personal level of comfort with locker room nudity does not match the culture of the gym? At my regular gym, everyone just does their thing and changes out in the open, not in a separate changing room (although they have a few of those). Works for me! At work we have this little gym that all the companies in the building can use, and I always change out in the open but whenever someone else comes in at the same time, they head right for a private stall (which means a toilet or shower - there aren't any changing rooms). When that happens, it makes me feel weird, like I am violating an important unwritten rule or making the person feel uncomfortable. (it's not people I work with - I can understand not wanting your colleagues to see you naked) I definitely feel like the odd person out here, but I don't want to modify my behavior when a) that would be less convenient and b) it's a locker room! Isn't that a place where nudity is expected?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 3:10 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I think you're fine. Nudity is to be expected in a locker room. I think those that are uncomfortable are looking after themselves by using the stall.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:15 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

I agree. I try not to make anyone else feel uncomfortable, but i change in the open. I don't walk around long periods of time naked, or dry my hair naked, which i have done in other gyms where that was more normal (there was a sauna too, it was just kind of natural) but i don't feel bad about it or anything either (we have like a doctors office folding screen type thing in my gym that some people choose to change behind)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6