| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:38 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: One Dish Vegan by Robin Robertson
PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:23 am 
Saggy Butt

Tzippy wrote:
darksideknitter wrote:
My copy arrived today, I've lined the family up for dinner tomorrow night so I can try the linguine with red lentil sauce. It seems fairly pantry friendly, although I will have to pick up more carrots.
The chili chapter looks interesting, I notice hot chilli powder is called for quite often. I've got some of that knocking about, although I'm not sure how I feel about 3 Tbsps in some of the recipes. I think I may try with a fraction less and work up as I see how things come out.

While I haven't seen the recipe you are referring to, remember that American chili powder is a blend of spices and isn't particularly hot.

Now most of the chili recipes call for 3 Tbsp chili powder = I think equals that mild blend of spices but the others in the chapter call for 3 Tbsp hot chili powder. I might do some quick research (good old Google) and see if I should be looking for another blend, because here hot chili powder is HOT!

Edit to add: The linguine with red lentil sauce turned out quite successful, went down well with all the family.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:55 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I made the firehouse chili tonight. It was good but was watery more like a soup...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:00 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

missmuffcake wrote:
I made the firehouse chili tonight. It was good but was watery more like a soup...

bummer, chili soup doesn't sound too yummy :(

"But...that's the most vegetably vegetable there is!!!" -Chicki

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:48 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

bookwormbethie wrote:

bummer, chili soup doesn't sound too yummy :(

it was okay, just not a lot of flavor. maybe because i ran out of cumin & used more chili powder?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:51 am 
Not NOT A Furry

I know it's one-dish--like you just eat a plate of whatever--but someone who has this book, can you tell me how many recipes are one pot?

I've got a small apartment and a baby, so I'm less interested in recipes where I have to cook quinoa separately, or boil potatoes then bake a casserole, you know?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:34 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

ScandinaVegan wrote:
I know it's one-dish--like you just eat a plate of whatever--but someone who has this book, can you tell me how many recipes are one pot?

I've got a small apartment and a baby, so I'm less interested in recipes where I have to cook quinoa separately, or boil potatoes then bake a casserole, you know?

Hi ScandinaVegan, I have this cookbook and I would say a good percent of them are one pot, especially the chilis and sautes.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:35 pm 
Nailed to the V

I was sad, I made the garlic lover chili and it was not as garlicy as i thought (for mostly a bulb of garlic - because everything else overpowered it), and it was very watery. i might have to reduce some of the liquid...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:11 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Yeah I feel guilty but I hardly ever use this cookbook. There are other ones that peak my interest much more (Isa Does It being one).

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:11 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Silvergirl wrote:
Yeah I feel guilty but I hardly ever use this cookbook. There are other ones that peak my interest much more (Isa Does It being one).

i didn't buy it and i'm surprised about the mixed reviews here and on amazon vine, robin's recipes for me in the past have been a-okay. i'm concerned now that her quick fix vegan part 2 might not knock my socks off when it comes out in early spring next year.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:41 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

bookwormbethie wrote:
Silvergirl wrote:

i didn't buy it and i'm surprised about the mixed reviews here and on amazon vine, robin's recipes for me in the past have been a-okay. i'm concerned now that her quick fix vegan part 2 might not knock my socks off when it comes out in early spring next year.

Yeah I am wondering the same thing. I may wait to look at it in a bookstore and not rush to buy it online.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:55 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Silvergirl wrote:
bookwormbethie wrote:
Silvergirl wrote:

Yeah I am wondering the same thing. I may wait to look at it in a bookstore and not rush to buy it online.

glad i'm not alone. i was hesitant to make that comment. i definitely want to see recipe titles first for QFV2.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:41 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Silvergirl wrote:
ScandinaVegan wrote:

Hi ScandinaVegan, I have this cookbook and I would say a good percent of them are one pot, especially the chilis and sautes.

Thanks; that's good to know. Given the mixed reviews I think I'll wait til I can see a real copy, though.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:58 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I did a little bit of testing for this book (joined late) and I would say it is my least favourite Robin book. (I own the chilli book, Fire and Spice, Vegan Planet, Meat and Potatoes, Quick Fix, 1,000 VR and the Cheap one). The recipes in it just don't excite me. I find I add extra spice to Robin's dishes generally, and I'm fine with that, but this one is just not up my alley for some reason. I love Quick Fix though, so I'll probably get that one.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:36 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Efcliz wrote:
I did a little bit of testing for this book (joined late) and I would say it is my least favourite Robin book. (I own the chilli book, Fire and Spice, Vegan Planet, Meat and Potatoes, Quick Fix, 1,000 VR and the Cheap one). The recipes in it just don't excite me. I find I add extra spice to Robin's dishes generally, and I'm fine with that, but this one is just not up my alley for some reason. I love Quick Fix though, so I'll probably get that one.

she's had so many new titles come out lately, it's hard to keep up. i haven't bought any of them. I have Meat & Potatoes, Party Vegan, Vegan On the Cheap, and Quick Fix Vegan. I really like all 4 of those and haven't had any issues with any of those recipes.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:34 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I am doing a giveaway of Robin's book through November 17 if anyone would like to enter! http://www.olivesfordinner.com/2013/11/one-dish-vegan-review-giveaway.html

My tumblr

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:58 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

erinwyso wrote:
I am doing a giveaway of Robin's book through November 17 if anyone would like to enter! http://www.olivesfordinner.com/2013/11/one-dish-vegan-review-giveaway.html

I entered! I have most of Robin's books, but I haven't gotten this one yet

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:37 am 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

I finally got this book as a gift -- I just made my first recipe from it last night, the Winter Vegetable and Pasta Bake. I messed up a couple of things with it -- roasted the veggies in my toaster oven, when a full size sheet pan in the oven would have been better, then got out a 2 quart dish for the final baking when it really needs a 3 or 4 quart dish. It was a little more fussing than I expected, with blending of the bean sauce required. It made a huge amount, and I think I under salted it. It has some nice flavors going on, but came out a bit bland. It probably didn't help that I used half of a gigantic squash, which probably still came out to more than the "small squash" specified. I added nutritional yeast and salt on my plate, and that made it pretty good. In the end my pasta came out a bit mushy, so I would recommend slightly undercooking the pasta rather than "al dente." All in all an ok recipe, but could use a few tweaks.

I have to admit that I was thinking more "one pot" rather than "one dish" when I saw this cookbook. This one recipe used a large pot, a baking sheet (with parchment, so at least easy clean up there), a casserole dish, and the blender. The liberal use of blended bean sauce kind of ruins any hope of easy clean-up for me. I'm thinking that maybe I could make up a bunch of sauces and freeze them in advance. We'll see how ambitious I get.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:35 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Just bought this recently and my first dish was the Antipasto Potato Salad. So delicious: a Mediterranean take with capers, roasted peppers, artichoke hearts, olives, and I-can't-remember-what-else. Served it warmish for dinner, then had a slight leftovers battle the next day, but I managed to get some for my lunch. This is going in the summer dinner rotation; it's hearty and sparked with flavour.