| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Woman claims ownership of the sun and will charge for usage
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:28 am 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

Someone in the comments actually came up with a good idea--sue her for the damage the sun has done
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1333776/Spanish-woman-Angeles-Duran-claims-owns-sun--plans-start-charging-ALL-users.html
Spanish woman claims she owns the sun - and now plans to start charging ALL users

It has been up there in the sky in plain view for billions of years but nobody seems to have thought of its earning potential - until now.

A canny Spanish woman from Galicia - a sun-drenched region on the border with Spain and Portugal - has decided that she owns the star, and has the registration papers to prove it.

Angeles Duran, 49, says that the sun officially belongs to her now, having had the celestial body registered in her name at a local notary office.

Ms Duran told the online edition of daily El Mundo she took the step in September after reading about an American man who had registered himself as the owner of the moon and most planets in our solar system.

There is an international agreement which states that no country may claim ownership of a planet or star, but it says nothing about individuals, she added.

'There was no snag, I backed my claim legally, I am not stupid, I know the law.

'I did it but anyone else could have done it, it simply occurred to me first.'

The document issued by the notary public declares Ms Duran to be the 'owner of the Sun, a star of spectral type G2, located in the centre of the solar system, located at an average distance from Earth of about 149,600,000 kilometers'.

Ms Duran, who lives in the town of Salvaterra do Mino, said she now wants to slap a fee on everyone who uses the sun and give half of the proceeds to the Spanish government - and 20 per cent to the nation's pension fund.

She would dedicate another 10 per cent to research, another 10 per cent to ending world hunger - and would keep the remaining 10 per cent herself.

She said: 'It is time to start doing things the right way, if there is an idea for how to generate income and improve the economy and people's wellbeing, why not do it?'

For those who might be a little too broke to venture out in the sunlight - and risk a large bill at the end of the day - Ms Dueran has not yet figured out a way of enforcing her sun charge.

Post subject: Re: Woman claims ownership of the sun and will charge for us
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:46 am 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

Man, the Daily Mail is on the ball with its investigative journalism.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:08 am 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

Rather than think she's an idiot, I'm not thinking much of that guy that took all the planets and the moon and forgot that one shining beacon in the day sky.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:08 am 
WELFARIST!

bastah wrote:
Ms Duran told the online edition of daily El Mundo she took the step in September after reading about an American man who had registered himself as the owner of the moon and most planets in our solar system.

I'm left wondering which planets didn't make the cut. And why. Is Uranus still available?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:36 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

I'm not thinking much of the notaries.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:15 pm 
WELFARIST!

And if this guy who owns the moon could drape colorful seasonal lights around it for the month of December until the New Year, that would be grand.

And if this Sun woman charges me for sun exposure, I will charge her for sun deprivation on overcast days and if we don't break even on that bargain, then I think I will come out slightly ahead.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:43 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Fee wrote:
Rather than think she's an idiot, I'm not thinking much of that guy that took all the planets and the moon and forgot that one shining beacon in the day sky.

maybe he already thought of the possibility that people would sue him for sun damage.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:56 pm 
Chard Martyr

supercarrot wrote:
Fee wrote:

maybe he already thought of the possibility that people would sue him for sun damage.

This is exactly what I was thinking-- whew, the liability! Skin cancer!