| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Dreena's books - ED&BV, VLV!, and EV
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:27 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

ShannonLea wrote:
I just have ED&BV and I love it! My favorite thing in that book is the roasted red pepper & almond hummus. I usually end up adding a bit more red wine vinegar than the recipe calls for. But that stuff is so good, I can just eat it with a spoon!

I also love the white chocolate macadamia nut cookies! My husband and oldest son absolutely loved the cocoa coconut chili. I also made a stir fry with soba noodles? I can't remember what it's called, but it had a lot of lime juice. Very flavorful! Another favorite is the Beats a BLT Sandwich.

I just made this, and it is wonderful!

My mom came and scraped the food processor bowl clean to eat on crackers. She never licks bowls or spoons, so that's how much she likes it.

It is very mild and kind of delicate at first before the red pepper hits. It has a lot of depth.

I've never been able to get into this book. I only opened it up tonight on a whim. I need to investigate further.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:04 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

I made the avocado-pinto bean-enchiladas a few days ago, and absolutely loved them. My new favorite enchiladas recipe! Loved the creaminess from the avocado and the crunch from the cashews. Instead of using store-bought cheese, I topped it off with KD dip from LTEV. (which was also superb). And my enchilada sauce was really spicy, so I skipped the chili sauce and used ketchup instead. It's pretty much the same thing anyway, right?

When I had finished the last of the enchiladas I wanted to make more from this book, so today I had the garlicky broccoli-corn burritos for dinner. They were also really lovely and different.

Can't believe I haven't used this book more.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:57 am 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

Love Child wrote:
Can't believe I haven't used this book more.

I can't believe I don't use Eat, Drink & Be Vegan more. The one recipe I return to again and again is Dreena's Olive & Sun Dried Tomato Hummus. If you like those flavors, it's amazingly good.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:20 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I just used VLV for the first time. I made Rosemary Seasoned Tofu Balls. Well I tried too. They were too sticky n because I was in a hurry I just baked it in a tray & made it into a big square which I have then cut into square pieces. It's very tasty but I wanted balls!!
Has anyone else had this problem? I'm wondering if my tofu was not squeezed enough. I though I was pretty accurate with my measuring.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:55 am 

I made the lemon-herb tofu & the lemon rosemary potatoes from VLV last night. Delicious.
The chocolate P-Nut Butter Squares are cooling in the fridge. I can't wait to try them. They look awesome.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:02 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I finally used the book. I made the Mediterranean Bean Burgers without the olives. They were good. I would probably make them again. I'm surprised at how well they stayed together. Absolutely no crumbling whatsoever.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:24 am 
Saggy Butt

For those interested in her ecookbook, Plant-Powered 15, her black bean and sweet potato soup was really good. I shared her recipe and also a chance to win the cookbook here:

http://tastespace.wordpress.com/2013/11 ... -giveaway/

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 8:38 am 
Saggy Butt

For those interested in her ecookbook, Plant-Powered 15, her black bean and sweet potato soup was really good. I shared her recipe and also a chance to win the cookbook here:

http://tastespace.wordpress.com/2013/11 ... -giveaway/

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:59 am 
WELFARIST!

Chickpea wrote:
I made the lemon-herb tofu...from VLV.

I made this too last night! One of my favorite tofus! I also made the simple swiss chard from this book. Used kale though. A nice perk for bland greens on a weeknight supper.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:36 pm 
Nailed to the V

The ebook for Eat Drink and Be Vegan is currently only $3.99 in the US and $3.75 in Canada! Grab it while you can.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:06 am 

seitanicverses wrote:
Chickpea wrote:
I made the lemon-herb tofu...from VLV.

I made this too last night! One of my favorite tofus! I also made the simple swiss chard from this book. Used kale though. A nice perk for bland greens on a weeknight supper.

We got EDBV for Xmas. Made the simple swiss chard, but with kale, & the orange tofu. Both are deliciously simple & awesome. I don't even really like orangey sauces but this is divine.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:20 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

I love her books! I have Everyday Vegan (2001), Eat, Drink and Be Vegan (2007) and her newest, Let Them Eat Vegan (2012).

My faves:

EV: Tahini-Tamari Sauce, Apple Swirl Loaf (I've made this loaf over and over), Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

EDBV: Cocoa Banana Muffins (made over and over), Thick and Rich Gravy (but I leave out most of the vinegar), Orange Sesame Tofu, You Got Peanut Butter in my Chocolate cookies, Chocolate Chunk Spice cookies (both of these cookies were a huge hit this xmas)

LTEV: Lemon-Infused Mediterranean Lentils, Gingery Cookies, Tempeh Tickle

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:25 pm 
WELFARIST!

Her chocolate mint melties from ED&BV are one of my all-time fave cookies. Well, they're my all-time fave cookie in the chocolate category. So damn good. I just love to make them at Christmas time with some crushed candy cane sprinkles somewhat generously sprinkled over before baking.

And there's a really nice "cheesecake" brownie recipe that's a basic chocolate brownie filled with a cashew cream cheese.

Also, my all-time fave blondie recipe from ED&BV those maple pecan blondies. ZOMG.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:44 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I made the pecan balls from LTEV this evening and served some with pasta, easy breezy cheesy sauce from AFR and hot sauce. They smelt so good while they were baking and tasted great. I'm looking forward to trying them out in a sandwich at some stage this week.