| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Jillian Michaels DVDs
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:16 pm 
Saggy Butt

allychristine wrote:
inceptisol wrote:
I like the 30 day shred but can someone tell me whether you're supposed to do each level for 30 days or each for 10 days to equal 30 days total. The first time I did the 30 day Shred, I did levels 1 and 2 right in a row. I don't recommend that if you want to be able to walk the next day.

I believe you are supposed to do each level for 10 days, for a total of 30 days, but really you are supposed to do each level until you are comfortable with moving on, and then move on.

I never actually did 10 10 10, I just used the 30 shred dvd A LOT. Did lots of level 1 and 2, some level 3...and whichever I felt like doing on that day. I combined them for a longer workout sometimes. (and don't watch Natalie because she cheats)

Thanks! I'm not concerned with doing it right and i don't even do it everyday but was just curious.
And Jillian's personality annoys the hell out of me too, especially all the 'if you want to look this good' crepe.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:35 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

hmmm not sure. mixture of reviews with people here...but i think i would liek to try it.

Bananas
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LH5ay10RTGY

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:05 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

I love the Jillian DVDs and I don't find her abrasive at all. She does kick your butt though. Even the yoga dvd makes me sore.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:35 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I'm hoping for a couple of these for Christmas!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:14 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

I think Jillian is OK in terms of annoying trainers. I don't think the DVDs are go tos if you are just starting out with a method - she does not use a lot of instructions..Coupled with her speed of doing things one can get pretty lost.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:32 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I can always use a good chest fly in my life.

.......I'm doing 30 day Shred again.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:56 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I was supposed to start the 30 Day Shred today, but it looks like I might be too lazy. Tomorrow though, I swear!

Formerly rad.badger

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:03 pm 
Bought KAPOP LOAF

allychristine wrote:
I can always use a good chest fly in my life.

.......I'm doing 30 day Shred again.

hahah, I love that line. She's so crazy.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:31 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

frozenveggies wrote:
I was supposed to start the 30 Day Shred today, but it looks like I might be too lazy. Tomorrow though, I swear!

A few minutes after I wrote this I felt like a loser, so I turned off the burners on the dinner I was making and did 30 Day Shred. Now I feel less like a turd, and dinner is back to cooking.

Yay!

Formerly rad.badger

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:41 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

I have Banish Fat, Boost Metabolism and No More Trouble Zones. They are very good workouts, but Jillian herself is a little flaky. She doesn't give any instruction on proper form, so you have to know how to do squats, lunges, etc. The music is sort of '80's, which may annoy some. It doesn't bother me, though.

If you are looking for more calorie blasting workouts, you might want to try Jari Love's Ripped series: http://www.amazon.com/Get-Ripped-Jari-L ... B000GTJSVM
These are among the toughest DVD's I own. You need dumbbells to do the workouts. They are long, though (hour workouts). The music is mostly OK. Jarie's cueing is great, and she gives good instruction on form. Although, don't get Body Rock - it's kind of lame.

I'm a bit of an at home exercise DVD junkie. I have almost all the Ripped DVD's, P90X, Jillian Michaels, Tao Bo, The Firm, Yoga, Pilates. I like to try them out from the public library or Zip (DVD by mail service here in Canada), and then I buy the ones I like. I really like the convenience of working out at home. Plus it gives the kitties something entertaining to watch!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:11 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I love the 30 day shred. It's great to use in a pinch since it's only 20 minutes and kicks your butt.

I've heard bad things about her kettlebell dvd, mainly that she doesn't know what the hell is she is doing with the kettlebells and isn't using proper form.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:16 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I just did the 30 day shred level 1 for the first time in a long time and I feel pretty wiped out so I came on to the ppk to see if anyone else liked it. I like that it was so fast and if I stopped to rest my 16 month old baby stood by me and screamed "UP!" That made the time go by even faster.

Here's a question about it: I always thought that with weight training you weren't supposed to work the same muscles 2 days in a row so are you really supposed to do the same workout every day for 10 days?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:39 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

I love No More Trouble Zones...kicks my butt every time. In fact, I can hardly walk today because I did it yesterday! I'm thinking about getting 30 Day Shred, but I have runners knee so I'm not sure it will be good for me. What is the workout like? Is there a lot of jumping around i.e. jumping jacks, running in place, etc?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:47 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

sarahbobarah wrote:
I love No More Trouble Zones...kicks my butt every time. In fact, I can hardly walk today because I did it yesterday! I'm thinking about getting 30 Day Shred, but I have runners knee so I'm not sure it will be good for me. What is the workout like? Is there a lot of jumping around i.e. jumping jacks, running in place, etc?

There are jumping jacks, and a few other knee things. There are modified (easier/lower impact) versions of each thing (except jumping jacks). I have a bad knee, so I do the easier lunges/squats, but jumping jacks don't usually bother me.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:54 pm 
Asked Santa for a Hoveringdog

Zoey wrote:
Here's a question about it: I always thought that with weight training you weren't supposed to work the same muscles 2 days in a row so are you really supposed to do the same workout every day for 10 days?

When I did it, I alternated the three workouts every day, i.e. Day 1 = Workout 1, Day 2 = Workout 2, Day 3 = Workout 3, Day 4 = Workout 1, etc. for 30 days. Not only did it give me somewhat of a break, because while you're working all the same muscles, you're doing it in different ways, it also kept me intersted because I can't do the same thing every day or I'll get really bored and just not do it anymore.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:59 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

molasses jane wrote:
I like the 30 day shred, but I do it with the sound off because she is so abrasive and the music is terrible.

ha ha me too!!

i like the 30 day shread, but i need more cardio.. i stopped jogging after hurting my back, and now it's too cold to go outside to run (and windy).. So my legs have gotten quite a bit bigger/flabbier. It SUCKS!!
Anyways. I try to do the 30 day shred everyday..

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 11:55 am 

I got three of these for Christmas, I think I will try the Banish Fat, Boost Metabolism one later!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 4:28 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

VeganMeredith wrote:
I got three of these for Christmas, I think I will try the Banish Fat, Boost Metabolism one later!

I just bought this a couple of days ago and really liked it. My cardio was slacking since it's too cold to run outside, and this one really did a good job for me..

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 5:21 pm 

mamatafari wrote:
VeganMeredith wrote:

I just bought this a couple of days ago and really liked it. My cardio was slacking since it's too cold to run outside, and this one really did a good job for me..

Ya it was great! I think I'm in decent shape, and I was definitely sweating a lot.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:41 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

I just saw JM is promoting So Delicious coconut milk in ads and in commercials!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:12 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

Ha! This is cracking me up-all the quotes from the DVD.

My husband and have been doing this workout for about 3 weeks now (we are on level 2). I used to work out consistently for many years, I had 2 kids and had not seriously worked out since before I had them. We find the 30 Day Shred perfect for us because we it is 20 minutes a day we feel like we can realistically commit to. We do it in AM before the kids get up and he goes to work. I feel like it is the right DVD for me because it really does help tone things up and get me back into working out. If I had to do a 40 minute DVD every day I would probably give up. 30 Day Shred seems to really work your core which is what I badly need. I have noticed a difference in my build and also it has inspired me to tack on a 20-30 minute run on the treadmill every other day. We basically curse Jillian out much of the time and we did notice today Natalie totally cheats. I try to put on other music while doing it but we kind of need Jillian's tough nonsense to keep moving. It's effective and annoying at the same time. I generally hate working out to DVDs but I seem to be committing to this one because it seems effective, challenging but doable.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:29 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

i'd recomment 30 day shred, it gets you moving. Especially if you're trying to get back into exercise. You can do it for 30 days then you'll be able to move on to something else.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:30 pm 

I really, really like the yoga meltdown DVD. Definitely not the yoga I'm used to, but it definitely gets you moving.