| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:15 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 874 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 35  Next
 Post subject: Re: the hair thread
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:51 am 
Chip Strong

I am trying so so so hard to not color my hair, but I've been eyeballing the colors at whole foods pretty hard lately. My natural color is dark ashy blond, I was doing reddish brown for a few years with stuff I bought at the beauty supply that I'm sure was not vegan and I've been growing it out/toning it with ashier colors.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:14 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

My hair is so long now, every time I look in the mirror I think, "booooring".
I'd love to have my old super short asymmetric haircut again, but that style requires a regular trim and I can't afford that!!
So I'm looking at pics, trying to decide what to do. I'm okay with going a lot shorter again, but I need a cut that's manageable (and with my hair, not a lot are).

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:26 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I plucked up courage and made an appointment at a new hairdresser (since mine closed down). The man sounded very nice on the phone. I told him I'm not sure where I'm going with it and he seemed fine about it. I am terrified.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:40 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I've been letting my hair grow out for what feels like forever so that I can dread it. I think I've gotten to that point where they'd be a reasonable length, though still pretty short... only now my issue is job hunting. Definitely not going to interviews with a head full of (new) dreadlocks. Plus, the only starting kit I know of has beeswax in it, so if anyone has any alternate suggestions, that would be okay too.

This is what I've got right now:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:48 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

creep wrote:
I've been letting my hair grow out for what feels like forever so that I can dread it. I think I've gotten to that point where they'd be a reasonable length, though still pretty short... only now my issue is job hunting. Definitely not going to interviews with a head full of (new) dreadlocks. Plus, the only starting kit I know of has beeswax in it, so if anyone has any alternate suggestions, that would be okay too.

don't use wax. I found that it actually prohibits your hair from dreading because it makes it slick. plus, it's so gross to use (imo)... all gunky and whatnot.

your hair will probably look like crepe for a while. I combatted this by wearing tams and hats. after about 1.5 years, mine started to finally come together and look decent enough.

My hair also shrank a lot. not right at first, about 9 months in it just tightened up and shrank.

good luck, though! I'm almost at my three year mark.

@inmypies
Texas VegFest 2012

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:01 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

I second the don't use wax sentiment. It's seriously disgusting. At least, for me it was.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:07 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

So, this is what my hair looks like now. I've got an appointment to get the colour touched up on Friday and I'm thinking of asking her to do some foils. Maybe lighter, more caramelly chunks? I have no idea. WWPPKD?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:22 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

i third the don't use wax sentiment! yuck-o. do you know anyone with nice dreads in real life creep? they will be the best source of info...i'd help you out (i've done 7 people's dreads i think) but i'm in australia ;)

eta: i found this site a while ago, i'm not a member but i like seeing other people's approaches and they way other people's hair dreaded :) http://dreadlocktruth.com/

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:28 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

❀madam dahlia❀ wrote:
i third the don't use wax sentiment! yuck-o. do you know anyone with nice dreads in real life creep? they will be the best source of info...i'd help you out (i've done 7 people's dreads i think) but i'm in australia ;)

eta: i found this site a while ago, i'm not a member but i like seeing other people's approaches and they way other people's hair dreaded :) http://dreadlocktruth.com/

I'll check that out. Thanks.

If you don't use wax, what do you use? Just backcomb your hair into messy chunks and let them do their thing?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:35 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

paprikapapaya wrote:
So, this is what my hair looks like now. I've got an appointment to get the colour touched up on Friday and I'm thinking of asking her to do some foils. Maybe lighter, more caramelly chunks? I have no idea. WWPPKD?

What about darker lowlights? And, you're so pretty!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:39 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

creep wrote:
❀madam dahlia❀ wrote:

If you don't use wax, what do you use? Just backcomb your hair into messy chunks and let them do their thing?

i have never backcombed, i do it kinda like this girl... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSzkXXvN ... re=related

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:24 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Quinne wrote:
I've let mine go grey, and have found out that I have less grey then I thought, and I really like my natural color on me, even though it's dull as dishwater. I'd love to add in some streaks of a funky color like blue or purple, but I'm afraid it'd look too much like a mid-life crisis (AND it's too uncharacteristic of me).

I'd say go for it! Or at least do the colorful streaks where you could hide the colorful streaks by parting your hair differently. That would be so awesome...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:18 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

❀madam dahlia❀ wrote:
i found this site a while ago, i'm not a member but i like seeing other people's approaches and they way other people's hair dreaded :) http://dreadlocktruth.com/

the girl who owns that site has actually worked on my hair a few times! She's in Dallas.

@inmypies
Texas VegFest 2012

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:00 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

fupapack wrote:
need advice? crippled by indecision? want to post a sexy new shag? here is your cave. time to spelunk!
here's my new rat tail!

LOVE the colour!!!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:07 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Efcliz wrote:
I plucked up courage and made an appointment at a new hairdresser (since mine closed down). The man sounded very nice on the phone. I told him I'm not sure where I'm going with it and he seemed fine about it. I am terrified.

I was exactly the same with my new hairdresser. Best thing I can recommend is taking pics to show what you'd like.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:46 pm 
Nailed to the V

I got a haircut... but it's boring. I just had the girl at Master Cuts clean me up.

"So I was sitting in my cubicle today, and I realized, ever since I started working, every single day of my life has been worse than the day before it. So that means that every single day that you see me, that's on the worst day of my life."

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:53 pm 
Mediocre Tart

Phoenix wrote:
My hair is so long now, every time I look in the mirror I think, "booooring".
I'd love to have my old super short asymmetric haircut again, but that style requires a regular trim and I can't afford that!!
So I'm looking at pics, trying to decide what to do. I'm okay with going a lot shorter again, but I need a cut that's manageable (and with my hair, not a lot are).

Hair twins. Except not, as I love yours. But I used to have a short asymmetric thing going on for a while and, due to one thing or other, haven't had it cut in over a year. So now it's crazy long and I don't know what to dooooooo!

"I will take a drugged, sex-crazed, punk rock commie over Mrs. Thatch any day of the week" - Vantine

"I just finished building my Irn Bru cellar!" - Steffers!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:09 am 
Bathes in Braggs

inmypies wrote:
❀madam dahlia❀ wrote:
i found this site a while ago, i'm not a member but i like seeing other people's approaches and they way other people's hair dreaded :) http://dreadlocktruth.com/

the girl who owns that site has actually worked on my hair a few times! She's in Dallas.

that's so cool :)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:32 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Ignore the wrinkles and double chin. It's really hard to take a picture of yourself!

The hair doesn't show up so well either, but I'm very pleased with it. I'm headed for a graduated bob but the shape is much better since he cut it. I liked the salon and the atmosphere too.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:23 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

❀madam dahlia❀ wrote:
creep wrote:
❀madam dahlia❀ wrote:

i have never backcombed, i do it kinda like this girl... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSzkXXvN ... re=related

Officially have one messy dreadlock, per cute little girl's instructions. I probably won't finish today, but I'm working on them. woowaweewah.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:43 pm 
Chip Strong

I am probably going to color my hair right before Christmas, which will give me time to decide on a shade. I re-upped all my supplies (clips, tint brushes, a bowl+decent gloves) and will grab either a box of Naturcolor or Tints of Nature from whole foods. this will be my first time using stuff I know for a fact is ethical and vegan. I've heard it doesn't stink like chemical death, which my husband will like.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:55 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

I'm about to go get my hair cut for $10 in a bar. My hair was in a braid so it's pretty wavy right now but I don't want to shower because then I'll have to bike with wet hair in this freezing freezing weather. This is probably going to end badly.

On the upside, a shot comes with the haircut.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:17 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

For a theme party on Saturday I sexified my hair. This is it the next day:

I've decided I will be sexifying my hair on a regular basis.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:44 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Hawt!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:49 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

My sad thin hair only made 14 dreadlocks total. So now they're stiff and sticking out in every direction and I look like a juggalo.

I assume they'll chill out eventually though.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 874 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 35  Next