| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:15 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 874 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 35  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: the hair thread
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:51 am 
Offline
Chip Strong
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:53 pm
Posts: 998
Location: LxFxOxDx/Thrashachusetts
I am trying so so so hard to not color my hair, but I've been eyeballing the colors at whole foods pretty hard lately. My natural color is dark ashy blond, I was doing reddish brown for a few years with stuff I bought at the beauty supply that I'm sure was not vegan and I've been growing it out/toning it with ashier colors.

_________________
"Oh boy. First of all, William Shakespeare's Dildo Liberal Arts College has a great Art History program. Leave them out of this."-Hoveringdog


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: the hair thread
PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:14 am 
Offline
Invented Vegan Meringue
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:31 pm
Posts: 3928
Location: Graz, Austria
My hair is so long now, every time I look in the mirror I think, "booooring".
I'd love to have my old super short asymmetric haircut again, but that style requires a regular trim and I can't afford that!!
So I'm looking at pics, trying to decide what to do. I'm okay with going a lot shorter again, but I need a cut that's manageable (and with my hair, not a lot are).


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: the hair thread
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:26 pm 
Offline
Kitchens Planning Manchester
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:18 am
Posts: 2601
Location: England
I plucked up courage and made an appointment at a new hairdresser (since mine closed down). The man sounded very nice on the phone. I told him I'm not sure where I'm going with it and he seemed fine about it. I am terrified.

_________________
http://cookingtheveganbooks.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: the hair thread
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:40 pm 
Offline
Invented Vegan Meringue
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:25 pm
Posts: 3638
Location: Nashville, TN
I've been letting my hair grow out for what feels like forever so that I can dread it. I think I've gotten to that point where they'd be a reasonable length, though still pretty short... only now my issue is job hunting. Definitely not going to interviews with a head full of (new) dreadlocks. Plus, the only starting kit I know of has beeswax in it, so if anyone has any alternate suggestions, that would be okay too.

This is what I've got right now:

Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: the hair thread
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:48 pm 
Offline
Smuggling Raisins
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:47 pm
Posts: 321
Location: Austin, Tx
creep wrote:
I've been letting my hair grow out for what feels like forever so that I can dread it. I think I've gotten to that point where they'd be a reasonable length, though still pretty short... only now my issue is job hunting. Definitely not going to interviews with a head full of (new) dreadlocks. Plus, the only starting kit I know of has beeswax in it, so if anyone has any alternate suggestions, that would be okay too.



don't use wax. I found that it actually prohibits your hair from dreading because it makes it slick. plus, it's so gross to use (imo)... all gunky and whatnot.

your hair will probably look like crepe for a while. I combatted this by wearing tams and hats. after about 1.5 years, mine started to finally come together and look decent enough.

My hair also shrank a lot. not right at first, about 9 months in it just tightened up and shrank.

good luck, though! I'm almost at my three year mark.

_________________
CapitalCityBakery.com
"Like" my bakery on FB!

@inmypies
Texas VegFest 2012


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: the hair thread
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:01 pm 
Offline
Dr Bronners, MD
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:14 pm
Posts: 4613
Location: Bowels of California
I second the don't use wax sentiment. It's seriously disgusting. At least, for me it was.

_________________
Blog: Mo Betta Vegan
"I eat big bangs."-Vegimator


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: the hair thread
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:07 pm 
Offline
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:29 pm
Posts: 6084
Location: Land of Maple and Beavers
So, this is what my hair looks like now. I've got an appointment to get the colour touched up on Friday and I'm thinking of asking her to do some foils. Maybe lighter, more caramelly chunks? I have no idea. WWPPKD?

Image

_________________
Did you notice the slight feeling of panic at the words "Chicken Basin Street"? Like someone was walking over your grave? Try not to remember. We must never remember. - mumbles
Is this about devilberries and nazifruit again? - footface


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: the hair thread
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:22 pm 
Offline
Bathes in Braggs
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:01 am
Posts: 1296
Location: sunshine coast, australia
i third the don't use wax sentiment! yuck-o. do you know anyone with nice dreads in real life creep? they will be the best source of info...i'd help you out (i've done 7 people's dreads i think) but i'm in australia ;)


eta: i found this site a while ago, i'm not a member but i like seeing other people's approaches and they way other people's hair dreaded :) http://dreadlocktruth.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: the hair thread
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:28 pm 
Offline
Invented Vegan Meringue
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:25 pm
Posts: 3638
Location: Nashville, TN
❀madam dahlia❀ wrote:
i third the don't use wax sentiment! yuck-o. do you know anyone with nice dreads in real life creep? they will be the best source of info...i'd help you out (i've done 7 people's dreads i think) but i'm in australia ;)


eta: i found this site a while ago, i'm not a member but i like seeing other people's approaches and they way other people's hair dreaded :) http://dreadlocktruth.com/


I'll check that out. Thanks.

If you don't use wax, what do you use? Just backcomb your hair into messy chunks and let them do their thing?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: the hair thread
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:35 pm 
Offline
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:31 pm
Posts: 1838
Location: NC
paprikapapaya wrote:
So, this is what my hair looks like now. I've got an appointment to get the colour touched up on Friday and I'm thinking of asking her to do some foils. Maybe lighter, more caramelly chunks? I have no idea. WWPPKD?

Image

What about darker lowlights? And, you're so pretty!

_________________
Re:my username "It's your initials! DRS I'm so smart." -appifanie
xgfx/soy-free blog: http://www.drsimpsongallery.com/veg-am/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: the hair thread
PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:39 pm 
Offline
Bathes in Braggs
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:01 am
Posts: 1296
Location: sunshine coast, australia
creep wrote:
❀madam dahlia❀ wrote:
i third the don't use wax sentiment! yuck-o. do you know anyone with nice dreads in real life creep? they will be the best source of info...i'd help you out (i've done 7 people's dreads i think) but i'm in australia ;)


eta: i found this site a while ago, i'm not a member but i like seeing other people's approaches and they way other people's hair dreaded :) http://dreadlocktruth.com/


I'll check that out. Thanks.

If you don't use wax, what do you use? Just backcomb your hair into messy chunks and let them do their thing?


i have never backcombed, i do it kinda like this girl... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSzkXXvN ... re=related


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: the hair thread
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:24 pm 
Offline
Bathes in Braggs
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:42 pm
Posts: 1372
Location: sf
Quinne wrote:
I've let mine go grey, and have found out that I have less grey then I thought, and I really like my natural color on me, even though it's dull as dishwater. I'd love to add in some streaks of a funky color like blue or purple, but I'm afraid it'd look too much like a mid-life crisis (AND it's too uncharacteristic of me).


I'd say go for it! Or at least do the colorful streaks where you could hide the colorful streaks by parting your hair differently. That would be so awesome...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: the hair thread
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:18 pm 
Offline
Smuggling Raisins
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:47 pm
Posts: 321
Location: Austin, Tx
❀madam dahlia❀ wrote:
i found this site a while ago, i'm not a member but i like seeing other people's approaches and they way other people's hair dreaded :) http://dreadlocktruth.com/


the girl who owns that site has actually worked on my hair a few times! She's in Dallas.

_________________
CapitalCityBakery.com
"Like" my bakery on FB!

@inmypies
Texas VegFest 2012


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: the hair thread
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:00 am 
Offline
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:24 pm
Posts: 232
Location: London
fupapack wrote:
need advice? crippled by indecision? want to post a sexy new shag? here is your cave. time to spelunk!
here's my new rat tail!
Image

LOVE the colour!!!

_________________
http://dreamsarenecessary.blogspot.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: the hair thread
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:07 am 
Offline
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:24 pm
Posts: 232
Location: London
Efcliz wrote:
I plucked up courage and made an appointment at a new hairdresser (since mine closed down). The man sounded very nice on the phone. I told him I'm not sure where I'm going with it and he seemed fine about it. I am terrified.

I was exactly the same with my new hairdresser. Best thing I can recommend is taking pics to show what you'd like.

_________________
http://dreamsarenecessary.blogspot.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: the hair thread
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:46 pm 
Offline
Nailed to the V
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:56 pm
Posts: 593
Location: Western Mass!
I got a haircut... but it's boring. I just had the girl at Master Cuts clean me up.

_________________
"So I was sitting in my cubicle today, and I realized, ever since I started working, every single day of my life has been worse than the day before it. So that means that every single day that you see me, that's on the worst day of my life."


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: the hair thread
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:53 pm 
Offline
Mediocre Tart
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:55 pm
Posts: 4640
Phoenix wrote:
My hair is so long now, every time I look in the mirror I think, "booooring".
I'd love to have my old super short asymmetric haircut again, but that style requires a regular trim and I can't afford that!!
So I'm looking at pics, trying to decide what to do. I'm okay with going a lot shorter again, but I need a cut that's manageable (and with my hair, not a lot are).


Hair twins. Except not, as I love yours. But I used to have a short asymmetric thing going on for a while and, due to one thing or other, haven't had it cut in over a year. So now it's crazy long and I don't know what to dooooooo!

_________________
"Because sure, I like David Bowie, but not that much."

"I will take a drugged, sex-crazed, punk rock commie over Mrs. Thatch any day of the week" - Vantine

"I just finished building my Irn Bru cellar!" - Steffers!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: the hair thread
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:09 am 
Offline
Bathes in Braggs
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:01 am
Posts: 1296
Location: sunshine coast, australia
inmypies wrote:
❀madam dahlia❀ wrote:
i found this site a while ago, i'm not a member but i like seeing other people's approaches and they way other people's hair dreaded :) http://dreadlocktruth.com/


the girl who owns that site has actually worked on my hair a few times! She's in Dallas.



that's so cool :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: the hair thread
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:32 am 
Offline
Kitchens Planning Manchester
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:18 am
Posts: 2601
Location: England
Image

Ignore the wrinkles and double chin. It's really hard to take a picture of yourself!

The hair doesn't show up so well either, but I'm very pleased with it. I'm headed for a graduated bob but the shape is much better since he cut it. I liked the salon and the atmosphere too.

_________________
http://cookingtheveganbooks.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: the hair thread
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:23 pm 
Offline
Invented Vegan Meringue
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:25 pm
Posts: 3638
Location: Nashville, TN
❀madam dahlia❀ wrote:
creep wrote:
❀madam dahlia❀ wrote:
i third the don't use wax sentiment! yuck-o. do you know anyone with nice dreads in real life creep? they will be the best source of info...i'd help you out (i've done 7 people's dreads i think) but i'm in australia ;)


eta: i found this site a while ago, i'm not a member but i like seeing other people's approaches and they way other people's hair dreaded :) http://dreadlocktruth.com/


I'll check that out. Thanks.

If you don't use wax, what do you use? Just backcomb your hair into messy chunks and let them do their thing?


i have never backcombed, i do it kinda like this girl... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSzkXXvN ... re=related


Officially have one messy dreadlock, per cute little girl's instructions. I probably won't finish today, but I'm working on them. woowaweewah.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: the hair thread
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:43 pm 
Offline
Chip Strong
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:53 pm
Posts: 998
Location: LxFxOxDx/Thrashachusetts
I am probably going to color my hair right before Christmas, which will give me time to decide on a shade. I re-upped all my supplies (clips, tint brushes, a bowl+decent gloves) and will grab either a box of Naturcolor or Tints of Nature from whole foods. this will be my first time using stuff I know for a fact is ethical and vegan. I've heard it doesn't stink like chemical death, which my husband will like.

_________________
"Oh boy. First of all, William Shakespeare's Dildo Liberal Arts College has a great Art History program. Leave them out of this."-Hoveringdog


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: the hair thread
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:55 pm 
Offline
Baking In The Flavor
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 7:02 pm
Posts: 174
Location: NOLA!
I'm about to go get my hair cut for $10 in a bar. My hair was in a braid so it's pretty wavy right now but I don't want to shower because then I'll have to bike with wet hair in this freezing freezing weather. This is probably going to end badly.

On the upside, a shot comes with the haircut.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: the hair thread
PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:17 pm 
Offline
Fair trade, organic mistletoe
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:52 am
Posts: 3507
Location: Toronto
For a theme party on Saturday I sexified my hair. This is it the next day:

Image

I've decided I will be sexifying my hair on a regular basis.

_________________
"I'd rather have dried catshit! I'd rather have astroturf! I'd rather have an igloo!"~Isa

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: the hair thread
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:44 am 
Offline
Has it on Blue Vinyl
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:23 pm
Posts: 2003
Hawt!

_________________
When it comes to, you know, modern technology, think of me somewhere in the Middle Ages, training my hedgehog friends to knit socks. ~Phoenix


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: the hair thread
PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:49 am 
Offline
Invented Vegan Meringue
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:25 pm
Posts: 3638
Location: Nashville, TN
My sad thin hair only made 14 dreadlocks total. So now they're stiff and sticking out in every direction and I look like a juggalo.

I assume they'll chill out eventually though.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 874 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 35  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: choirqueer, Hollie, lobsteriffic, Yahoo [Bot] and 5 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Template made by DEVPPL/ThatBigForum and fancied up by What Cheer