| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:08 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Oly's controversy of the week
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:20 pm 
Nailed to the V

I think if that image was used to sell yoga classes promoting the art of tomato balancing while wearing short shorts then this wouldn't be considered objectifying, in my opinion.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:42 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

Lil_Witch_Kitty wrote:
I can't say as the girl on the label offends me at all. Sure she's showing some skin, but the important stuff covered and she's not in what I'd call a sexually suggestive pose. And she's able to balance a tomato on her foot! How awesome is that?

I think I'm offended the co-op decided to ban it. Their decision seems rather arbitrary to me.

I will also say that I am impressed that the girl on the label is able to defy gravity in that yoga pose. Whenever I do something like that my boobs don't stay on my chest. They end up around my chin.

well, now that you've noticed her boobs you've totally proved their point.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:46 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

I think it's pretty aggravating all around. Why couldn't the co op just leave it alone and sell it? Does everything have to be a big deal? Why couldn't they have just not had a bendy leggy woman on their tomato chutney label? It's tomatoes, they sell themselves.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:08 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Fee wrote:
Why couldn't they have just not had a bendy leggy woman on their tomato chutney label? It's tomatoes, they sell themselves.

The company did end up creating a new label for the coop, but getting all those labels printed and physically relabeling the cans can't have been a cheap or easy endeavor for a tiny business.

Two local businesses have offered already to sell the product as is even though it's a bit outside their normal range--a shop that sells import and craft beers and a shop that sells "modern European lifestyle products"--but otherwise, the coop really is the place around here that sells local food products.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:25 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

hoveringdog wrote:
Fee wrote:
Why couldn't they have just not had a bendy leggy woman on their tomato chutney label? It's tomatoes, they sell themselves.

The company did end up creating a new label for the coop, but getting all those labels printed and physically relabeling the cans can't have been a cheap or easy endeavor for a tiny business.

Two local businesses have offered already to sell the product as is even though it's a bit outside their normal range--a shop that sells import and craft beers and a shop that sells "modern European lifestyle products"--but otherwise, the coop really is the place around here that sells local food products.

she'll make a killing at a local farmers' market, if there's one she could set up a booth at. she could hire girls to do yoga right there on the table.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:51 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Heaven knows that eliminating labels like that is more important that equal pay, reproductive rights, poverty, stopping sexual assault...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:05 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

acr wrote:
she'll make a killing at a local farmers' market, if there's one she could set up a booth at. she could hire girls to do yoga right there on the table.

I had really thought about the farmers market, so I guess there's that, though it's fairly slow aside from the summer months.

I don't know. I mean, if I really wanted to pick, I can find plenty of stuff they sell produced by big companies that have some dubious marketing ideas like McCormicks, who owns Simply Asia (And their packaging isn't exploiting other cultures?) and Jose Cuervo, who owns Cholula Hot Sauce (Ahem...), so it just all seems a bit arbitrary to punish a small business that's otherwise trying to do things right. Not to say I don't want them carrying those products either--I really do like me some Cholula--just not be quite so myopic that you make the perfect the enemy of the good, I guess.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:55 am 
Nailed to the V

I saw this on Olyblog a few days ago and initally thought it was a ridiculous decision, but I can see how it conflicts with the co-op's policy. I'm not saying it's right or that I agree but I can see why they did it.

The Blue Sky Soda bit was before my time but reminded me of another product they don't carry because of it's "exploitation" of native culture, that is Seventh generation products.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:31 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Oh, geez. I'm not sure what the term exploitation even means anymore.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:38 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Seventh Generation? Really?

Next we can't have numbers on the packaging because that exploits the Hindu-Arabic peoples who developed the Arabic numeral system.

"God said, kill and eat!" ~ my grandmother

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:41 am 
rowdily playing checkers

It seems that 'exploits' means 'alludes to in any way'.

I'd just propose that they replace all labels with black text on a white background.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:54 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

just mumbles wrote:
I'd just propose that they replace all labels with black text on a white background.

Racist.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:25 am 
Level 7 Vegan

hoveringdog wrote:
just mumbles wrote:

Racist.

Zing!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:37 am 
Chip Strong

just mumbles wrote:

Yeah, this is where I personally start feeling weird about the whole concept of "appropriation." I understand why it's offensive to dress up in a slutty Indian maiden costume for Halloween, but is it okay for a non Native American to have a genuine interest in Native American culture or art or mythology or are you somehow being exploitative? Is it ok for Blue Sky to use patterns loosely inspired by Native American art on a can of soda, or for Seventh Generation to take their name from The Law of The Iroquois? It's also interesting to note that a lot of new agey co-op health food store shoppin' types have seemed to have NO problem with appropriating Native American spirituality since the late 1960's (dream catchers anyone? smudge sticks? Bueller?)

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:43 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Their policy is ill-defined, poorly executed and stupid. They appear to be arbitrarily applying it to any product that raises the hackles of a small group. They also appear to have no grasp of what exploitation means.

I'm glad no one is asking them to take any real action.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:07 pm 
Grandfathered In

Vantine wrote:
Their policy is ill-defined, poorly executed and stupid. They appear to be arbitrarily applying it to any product that raises the hackles of a small group. They also appear to have no grasp of what exploitation means.

I'm glad no one is asking them to take any real action.

Real action is for reactionary oppressors!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:16 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Lixa wrote:
just mumbles wrote:

Yeah, this is where I personally start feeling weird about the whole concept of "appropriation." I understand why it's offensive to dress up in a slutty Indian maiden costume for Halloween, but is it okay for a non Native American to have a genuine interest in Native American culture or art or mythology or are you somehow being exploitative? Is it ok for Blue Sky to use patterns loosely inspired by Native American art on a can of soda, or for Seventh Generation to take their name from The Law of The Iroquois? It's also interesting to note that a lot of new agey co-op health food store shoppin' types have seemed to have NO problem with appropriating Native American spirituality since the late 1960's (dream catchers anyone? smudge sticks? Bueller?)

Judging from the number of dream catchers and dashboard buddhas spotted in the coop parking lot, I'm guessing the majority of their membership has no problem with appropriating other cultures' spirituality either.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:42 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

just mumbles wrote:

How about blue on white?

Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2