| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:37 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 720 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29  Next
 Post subject: Re: The IUD thread!
PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:33 am 
Chard Martyr

So I think I sorta went through PMS and spotted a bit today and holy shiitake if that was how PMS is always going to be with the IUD, this was the BEST thing I've ever done!! It was so much more manageable than ever before.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:13 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I've had a copper IUD (paraguard/nova-t) for about seven years now (I'm on my second, don't worry!) and my periods were crazy awful/heavy in the first two years, but now they are totally fine. Sometimes I don't even get one, which isn't good and is likely due to low body weight (I randomly lost a bunch of weight when I turned 30), but I am happy that I have the IUD because sometimes I feel like it triggers a period, and I don't like not having one. I've had the same partner since my first IUD insertion, and can't imagine going back to any other kind of birth control! I do worry about getting pregnant on an IUD and then very likely miscarrying, but I worry about everything and the likelihood of me getting pregnant is extremely low.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:47 pm 
Tofu Pup

I had the IUD in for a month now. I've been bleeding heavily for the first 2 weeks and then I had my period and bled normally then it stopped. So I bled for 3 weeks straight :/ I have my follow up exam next week and I think everything will be alright. I don't get cramps or anything just some white vaginal discharge? I don't know if they are normal or what exactly they are but i'm not too worried for now. I'm still on the pill but hopefully it's my last pack :)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:38 pm 
Inflexitarian

Almost three months. No period. I friggin love it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:24 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

getting a new iud on the 30th...5 years? time flies by...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:22 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Well I am probably gonna need a pep talk to go through with my second insertion attempt next month. I went today for an insertion of a Mirena. No pain meds before hand because I am usually quite tolerant of pain and didn't use pain meds for labor. Anyway in order to get it inserted while still on my period I had a doctor other than my usual doctor in the practice. After we got started she realized my uterus is tipped and that's when the "fun" began. Eventually she did try to get placement using utltrasound but between the length of time and the intermittent jabbing either I moved or tensed up or something so the IUD was slightly too low and she removed it. Very frustrating experience. So we did a blood test to ensure I still need birth control. And they are ordering me a new one to try again next month. Right now I am so angry at the whole experience but figure I should at least try again next month with my own doctor. The doctor I saw today is putting in the notes that I need to be dilated even on my period and placement needs to be done with ultrasound and I will definitely take pain meds before I go. I am just pissed that she didn't immediatly go to use ultrasound when she realized my uterus was tipped back instead of forward. I think my own doctor would definitely have done that. Anyway convince me to go back cause I really don't want to go back on the pill and I highly doubt I am going to find out I am not fertile as my period comes like clockwork even though I am in my late 40's. Ugh. Anyone else with a tipped uterus have these issues?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:18 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I have a tipped ute! But I didn't have any issues. I'm sorry you did, that sounds like an awful experience. I hope your second visit is easier. Can you schedule with your regular dr for next time?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:52 am 

I am definitely getting my own doctor next time. I hate to think the other one is to blame but really it doesn't make sense how messed up it got. At the least I think there will be more trust with my regular doctor so I will feel more optimistic. Had I ended up with IUD placed even with the issues I think I would have felt better but 45 minutes of fumbling with nothing to show for it was depressing.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:21 am 
Saggy Butt

Oh man, I'm sorry! I have a retroverted uterus too and it wasn't an issue either. I hope things go smoothly with your regular doctor next time.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:29 pm 
Chard Martyr

that sounds awful, gwgj! I'm sure the next attempt will be much smoother. Sorry you had to go through that!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:13 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

going to get a new iud next weekend....screw black friday sales!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:37 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

so after asking for paragaurd, thinking i had paragaurd but being told 2 years later it was mirena and then waiting for the 5 year mark to get a new one today, i find out i did have paragaurd but since it was removed ihad to get a new one. i guess the strings on mine were pretty wonky.

insertion this time around + breathing/breath of fire = no real pain!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:47 am 
Married to the wolfman

My periods were bad pre-IUD, and are somehow more horrible with. (Paragard.) I bleed so forking much, and my cramps have become so incredibly bad.

It kills me because I love the shiitake out of my IUD in every other way. It's been almost two years now I guess so I've stopped really expecting it to get better. It could be worse, I could be pregnant again! So whatever.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:35 am 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

Oh man, that blows. My understanding, though, is that that is kind of the norm with the Paraguard--heavier bleeding and worse cramps.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:27 am 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

j-dub wrote:
My understanding, though, is that that is kind of the norm with the Paraguard--heavier bleeding and worse cramps.

Mine too. I was warned about those side effects before I got mine, decided to give it a go anyway & OMG it was the worst. So much pain & epic amounts of blood. Now that I've switched to Mirena I almost never have cramps and my periods are super light.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:38 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

I just had my second period with my copper IUD. It lasted for nearly 2 weeks. Bummer. But no cramping at least. I'm hoping they get shorter, but not holding my breath.

I really would rather have gone with mirena for the light periods aspect of it, but I have bad track record with progesterone-only birth control... i.e. making me bleed constantly... and I'm worried that mirena would do the same.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:11 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

my periods are still normal, maybe a bit more crampy but nothing horrible.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:31 pm 
Chard Martyr

Still no period since insertion in July!
I'm breaking out randomly, though, and it's annoying. Does that ever stop? I used to only get like, 2-3 spots right before my period, so I want these 6 random ones to go away.
Still way better PMS than before. WAY BETTER.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:35 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

So how long should I wait before getting my Mirena replaced? I've just hit three. I suppose I should ask when I go for my female annual, but I'm like 2 years overdue because I'm all responsible and shiitake.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:46 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

simplybecause81 wrote:
So how long should I wait before getting my Mirena replaced? I've just hit three. I suppose I should ask when I go for my female annual, but I'm like 2 years overdue because I'm all responsible and shiitake.

Five years is normal, but you should check to make sure. Afaik, there is only one kind of Mirena, but I haven't really looked into it, different kinds may be available in different countries.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:48 am 
Bathes in Braggs

I just got a copper IUD! The insertion was painful, but fast and no worse than really bad period cramps. I took a pain killer to take the edge off. The doctor was really nice and reassuring. I felt a little shaky afterwards, but I'm fine now.

I am so happy to be free of hormonal birth control (I had nuvaring before) and very curious to see how my body will adjust to the change.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:59 pm 

My gyno really wants me to do either the Mirena IUD or the weird little arm thingy. Mirena can cause eptopic pregnancies (I have two miscarriages under my belt so far. . . ), but arm thing can get. . . lost in your body and need invasive surgery to track down and remove. SO. I am understandably scared of both. . . But I'm not responsible enough for a daily pill! Ugh what do.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:52 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Yes, Mirena can cause ectopic pregnancies, but since the risk of conception is so tiny, the risk of that happening is incredibly small.

If you don't want to risk it and pills are forgotten, is it easier for you to remember a contraceptive that you use while having sex? I know a lot of people don't like to think of contraceptives while they're having sex, but a lot of other people don't have a problem with it.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:50 pm 

Nah. :/ The past three generations on my mother's side have had endometriosis, so my doctor wants me to be on hormonal therapy until I actually want to try to get pregnant. Believe me, I've considered it!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:24 am 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

oddspongeout wrote:
My gyno really wants me to do either the Mirena IUD or the weird little arm thingy. Mirena can cause eptopic pregnancies (I have two miscarriages under my belt so far. . . ), but arm thing can get. . . lost in your body and need invasive surgery to track down and remove. SO. I am understandably scared of both. . . But I'm not responsible enough for a daily pill! Ugh what do.

What about the NuvaRing?

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 720 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29  Next