| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:18 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 688 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 28  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Pet Awesomes
PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:37 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

One of the professors at school is teaching a food and politics class. He asked some of his vegan pals to come in to talk to the students before one of their assignments, which was to eat vegan for one day and write about it. There was one girl who was asking a lot of questions. I got a bit passionate when she asked why animals are here. I explained that i don't think animals, or anything, are here just for humans to do what they want with, etc. Later when i talked to the professor, he said this girl had never spoken up in class before, and that they next day she was advocating against specism and selfish humans. It was such an awesome feeling to know that something i said actually made somebody think and change their opinion.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:51 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

That's great, annabazoo! Sounds like a cool class/professor too.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:26 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

My omni guy is super, super accepting of my veganism. So much so that he requested a vegan cheesecake for his birthday! And it was delicious (I made it, so this is a touch vain). Also, he eats vegan around me 90% of the time, is feeding his kids tofu whenever he has them (and they love it), and says chicken is really starting to gross him out. This makes me very happy :-)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:44 pm 
Semen Strong

I love hearing you so happy! Hurrah for tofu-loving, cheesecake-eating, chicken-gross-finding love! And happy birthday to your awesome dude!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:43 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Thank you! He's in therapy right now and it has led to a lot of great, short discussions. And one was how he has made me feel loved, and though this post isn't exactly what I said, it's close.

(FWIW, this relationship is not Facebook-open)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:40 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

the local indie theater is screening my boyfriend's short movie (part of a film fest). well, they had coffee there over the weekend when we went and saw a movie - however when i asked about soy/almond milk they said no. so under the fb thread about the film fest i said 'get the film makers gf some almond milk'...they said okay & asked if i wanted sweetened or unsweetened!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:47 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

The (vegan parts of) our work holiday menu: Gardein stuffed turk'y, roasted carrots and parsnips, rosemary new potatoes, and THREE kinds of vegan pie.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:42 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

On Tuesday when I picked my son up from preschool, his teacher approached me and told me that over the weekend she had decided to go vegetarian, but had absolutely no idea what to eat now and asked if I had any resources. So today when I picked him up, I brought her a care package. I recently went through my cookbook collection and was getting rid of a bunch. They were just sitting in my garage waiting for my next trip to the donation place, so I grabbed a vegetarian cookbook, all of the back issues of vegetarian times I had on hand, and I typed her up a handy guide to local restaurants, convenience foods, food blogs, and my personal guide to fake meats and which ones are better than others. She was so excited when I gave it to her and she said she can't wait to go grocery shopping this weekend and start cooking.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:39 am 
Ninja Master

DEG wrote:
On Tuesday when I picked my son up from preschool, his teacher approached me and told me that over the weekend she had decided to go vegetarian, but had absolutely no idea what to eat now and asked if I had any resources. So today when I picked him up, I brought her a care package. I recently went through my cookbook collection and was getting rid of a bunch. They were just sitting in my garage waiting for my next trip to the donation place, so I grabbed a vegetarian cookbook, all of the back issues of vegetarian times I had on hand, and I typed her up a handy guide to local restaurants, convenience foods, food blogs, and my personal guide to fake meats and which ones are better than others. She was so excited when I gave it to her and she said she can't wait to go grocery shopping this weekend and start cooking.

Ahh you are so nice! That's lovely. I wish someone had been that nice to me when I went veggie, all I got was disdain and 'oh FFS' off everyone! haha.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:52 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

DEG wrote:

That's so lovely!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:19 am 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

When my sweetie and I were on our mini road trip, we stopped for dinner in Hood River and I figured most places have something I can eat so I didn't bother investigating and just went into Double Mountain brewery, it was cute and their beer is good. There was nothing at all vegan on the menu! But they seemed to be pretty popular for their fancy pizzas, so I asked if it was possible to have a vegan pizza made. They were so enthusiastic and made me something AMAZING. Tomatoes, mushrooms, pickled peppers, garlic, kalamata olives, basil and lots of fresh arugula on top! And a customer walked by and was like "YUM which one's THAT, is that ARUGULA?!"

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:18 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I love when people comment on how good my vegan food looks! I used to bring awesome sammichs to work at a (very non-veg) cooking school, and so many people commented on how tasty my food looked.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:06 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

DEG wrote:

AHHHHH! this is so nice!
this made my heart squee :-) <3

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:49 am 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

I was pleasantly surprised by the vegan options when I went to a large-ish local brewpub last night with my racing team. It's a big place that attracts a lot of tourists, so I was expecting to get beer, and maybe fries, but they had a great-looking vegan burger, several really delicious sounding salads (like kale and spinach with roasted grapes and pears, butternut squash & candied pecans, etc.), vegan chili, and vegan veggie barley soup, which was really good. Yay!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:01 pm 
Dead by dawn

Wow, nice choices. Our team holiday run & dinner was last night and we went to a waterfront bistro I'd never been to. Totally not as good a selection as where you went, but they did have a grilled flatbread plate with tapenade, pickled hot peppers, roasted elephant garlic and some goat-cheesy thing. I just asked for no cheese and they subbed extra tapenade without me even asking, so that was a win. But my pet awesome for the day was really everyone gobbling up the VWAV sparkled ginger cookies and raving about them. So easy, so foolproof, so good!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:20 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

DEG wrote:

Awww...YOU are the vegan awesome!!! <3

The manager/cashier at the store I shop at (Sprouts...a poor-man's whole foods) was asking me about my food as I was checking out (not in a rude way, but curious), and I mentioned I was vegan and found out she is trying to go veggie. I gave her as much advice as I could in the 2 minutes standing there, without trying to scare her. Emphasized meal planning, and getting some good cookbooks. I told her about Isa Does it and Appetite For Reduction, since both of those are pretty un-scary cookbooks; easy recipes and not a lot of weird vegan stuff.

She was really happy, and the lady behind me, as I was walking out, asked the cashier what those cookbooks were because she wanted to check them out!

Bonus awesome: the store was having their 'secret' non-advertised surprise sale that day that they do about once a year. 25% off ALL bulk foods and spices. I got 4-5 days worth of meals on my list, a bottle of wine AND a SHITTON of herbs, spices and bulk goods. For $66. I had 5 very full bags worth of stuff. And I carry around re-usable huge bag/cat-lady bags.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:26 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

jordanpattern wrote:
I was pleasantly surprised by the vegan options when I went to a large-ish local brewpub last night with my racing team. It's a big place that attracts a lot of tourists, so I was expecting to get beer, and maybe fries, but they had a great-looking vegan burger, several really delicious sounding salads (like kale and spinach with roasted grapes and pears, butternut squash & candied pecans, etc.), vegan chili, and vegan veggie barley soup, which was really good. Yay!

Bridgeport? Janessa of Vida Vegan Con used to be the manager there, I think a lot of it is her influence!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:32 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Chicki, I have a Sprouts by me too and "poor man's Whole Foods" is exactly how I describe it to people too : ) I need to go and stock up on spices apparently!

Another person at work came to me interested in learning more about veganism and types of foods I eat. (Which is funny in a way, because I feel they think I eat magic pixie dust or something.) Her daughter, who is vegetarian, is thinking about taking the plunge. I lent her VEW (only because she wanted the luscious celery root and white been puree recipe) and steered her towards AFR and IDI for good starter cookbooks, and she's going to buy those for her daughter for Christmas. The way I see it, if people drop even just some of their meat and dairy and are able to see that there are tasty and do-able alternative options, that's a win.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:06 am 

Went to my good friend's to exchange gifts, it was going to just be three of us. I knew she was planning on making food but figured like, veggies and hummus. She actually made fettuccini in a wild mushroom cashew cream sauce. It was DELICIOUS and I so want more!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:42 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

I love Sprouts! I do most of my shopping there - their organic produce is better than other stores in town. I like the $5 off promo they put in the paper at times.

Our hotel brought us kale chips, lara bars, sunflower seeds and soy milk after the concierge found out we are vegan!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:49 pm 
Mediocre Tart

I got manky bits cut out of my feets today and happened to mention to the lady that I didn't wear leather shoes. Nothing about vegan- literally just not wearing leather. And then she was all 'blah blah blah, christmas, meh, meh, meh' etc. AND THEN stopped up! "Oh, hey, this cream I'm about to put on your feet has lanolin in it. Hold up and hang on! I'm not going to do that!! That's not cool, is it?!"

Ahhh! Awesome!!

"I will take a drugged, sex-crazed, punk rock commie over Mrs. Thatch any day of the week" - Vantine

"I just finished building my Irn Bru cellar!" - Steffers!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:45 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

ameyfm's aunt has a 5 star B&B in my town. I had a meeting with her and the innkeeper at my work because we are collaborating to support each others' business (exciting enough in itself!) but we also ended up having a long conversation about how awesome Amey is and (her words) how Amey "gives vegans the best name" and is the reason they have no problem accommodating vegans at their breakfasts. Nearby guests and coworkers overheard our conversation and suddenly my veganism is everyone's favourite topic and none of it is judgey or condescending.

Oh and I was comp'd one night at the B&B so my husband and I are going to spend New Year's there and get an amazingly outstanding breakfast!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:21 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

When I was at a store in SF last weekend that specializes in local stuff the staff was super friendly. Everything that is vegan is marked so & when I said I was vegan they went around looking for vegan stuff for me to sample. I ended up buying the $10 vegan caramel sauce because of the sample...I did refrain from the kale chips and coconut chips though....but could not put down the $10 bottle of vegan safe bacon hot sauce!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:53 am 

This thread makes my day.

What also makes my day is in-laws (or anyone) who steps up and does the scary thing of making a vegan meal for their visiting vegan. NatureBoy's mom loves vegetables as much as I do, so it was not a scary thing for her to make us pre-Christmas dinner. But his dad and stepmom eat ... very differently ... and it was definitely a scary thing which they were determined to do (and on Christmas!) and they rocked it so hard!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 9:55 am 

vijita wrote:
(W)e also ended up having a long conversation about how awesome Amey is and (her words) how Amey "gives vegans the best name" and is the reason they have no problem accommodating vegans at their breakfasts.

YES! I'm pretty sure ameyfm is awesome at giving everything she does the bestest of best names.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 688 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 28  Next