| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Sandwiches without cheese
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:35 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Oh I forgot Houmous & Salt n Vinegar crisps. They make a great sandwich combo and they are even better with some salsa on

π

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:56 pm 
Huffs Nooch

That cream cheese sounds interesting! I've been pretty let down by the store bought cream cheeses. Headed to the store to get tapenade, seitan, and pesto supplies.. will have to get some cashews and soy yogurt as well to try that out! Not sure I'd put it on my sandwiches but I do have some bagels and jelly that need used.

joshua, vegemite and marmite i've been reading about lately, too.. is there anything in particular you pair it with? it seems the most popular sandwich for it is with cheese.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:20 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

BowToLordSeitan wrote:
That cream cheese sounds interesting! I've been pretty let down by the store bought cream cheeses. Headed to the store to get tapenade, seitan, and pesto supplies.. will have to get some cashews and soy yogurt as well to try that out! Not sure I'd put it on my sandwiches but I do have some bagels and jelly that need used.

joshua, vegemite and marmite i've been reading about lately, too.. is there anything in particular you pair it with? it seems the most popular sandwich for it is with cheese.

I remember reading a thread where a lot of people used EB or nooch with it.

Isa's Red Hot Tahini sauce is SUPER GOOD on sandwiches. It's from her Hoppin' John bowl on the PPK blog. Fantastic on chewy, wonderful artisan ciabatta with tomato slices, garlicky kale, and baked tofu or seitan or whatever meaty-type thing you like.

Also: tofu scramble banh mi. On the blog too, I think. Use lots of carrot pickles!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:22 pm 
Saggy Butt

BowToLordSeitan wrote:
Several people mentioning olive tapenade .. as much as I love olives I can't believe I haven't gotten into that before. I will definitely look into that. Some jarred red peppers (if i buy them fresh I almost never use even half before they go bad), have some washed lettuce and sprouts ready. Avocado is another good one, super easy to prepare and what I don't put on the sandwich I can just bring with me and eat on its own. Plus it's nice and creamy so it can kind of take the place of both the fake cheese and mayo on its own. Lots of good ideas here!

The olive spread in Veganomicon (its part of a huge muffelleta sandwich recipe) is so good. I use this on so many sandwiches. Great with tofu and tempeh, veggie burgers, or just a big veggie sandwich. It adds so much depth. I use for so many things.

I love hummus but have never been a big fan of it in sandwiches. Its OK, just not my fav. I also prefer to make a really creamy guacamole and use that as a spread for sandwiches. I could just as easily use sliced avocados but I prefer to really amp it up a bit.

Tempeh bacon also makes great sandwiches. You can make a batch of it that will last a few days. So quick and easy.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:04 am 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

I love the cashew ricotta from Veganomicon for a cheese sub in sandwiches - a batch lasts me about a week of daily use, so you could make it while you make the seitan and you're set.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:29 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

You might want to look into making tofu misozuke. There is a thread here about it that links to directions. It's a two month process, but you will end up with a complex, intense, salty, creamy, wonder that is usually both spreadable and sliceable. If you miss stinky cheeses you may love it. It adds a lot of sophistication to a sandwich and I think goes well with arugula, pears, caramelized onions, and roasted red peppers.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:54 pm 
Huffs Nooch

That sounds interesting. I've had fermented tofu from the Chinese grocery store before and I liked spreading it on bread for breakfast. From the pictures I just looked up that looks similar but even more creamy/spreadable. I'm sure a much different flavor too as these were soaked in chili oil.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:09 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

I'm eating some right now! I let mine sit for a few days and it's enough to get the tofu all creamy and spreadable, like a soft cream cheese. Sooooo good. I always have some going. It's what my screen name refers to.

Another great combo is falafel balls in a pita with the usual veg, plus an unholy amount of baba ghanoush and shiracha. It's sounds kinda gross, but that combo is magical. Even better if you have some piping hot broth to dip in (sounds even worse, I know).

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:46 pm 
Nailed to the V

I am on Team Avocado for adding cheese-like creaminess to anything and everything. I've even made myself grilled avocado sammies. . .Basically just smashed avocado between sourdough bread, grilled like a grilled cheese. I'm a step behind the lady in the Subway commercial with the avocado earrings and the avocado-dressed baby. . .

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:47 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Marmite and tahini tastes like cheese. Seriously.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:49 am 
So Totally Yiffy

vijita wrote:
Marmite and tahini tastes like cheese. Seriously.

Then it must be even better with Aussie Vegemite!! :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:02 am 
Tofu Pup

Just tried the Deviled (not) Egg Salad in Veg Sandwiches Save the Day. Just awesome.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:25 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

another one on the avocado team here!

one of my favorites: smashed avocado, spinach, tomato, a bit of vegenaise, and blackened tofu.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:41 am 
Semen Strong

Avocado and nooch on a warm piece of toast spread with a thin layer of EB. NOMMERIFIC and so easy.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:20 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

Oh, I LOVE PB with veggies and red onions and basil. It's like a thai meets american sandwich and it is so, so good!

“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has.”
--Margaret Meade

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:37 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

I dont like hummus a whole lot but I LOVE Babaganoush, and its just as easy to make, so that might be an option if you like that but dont like hummus

I heartily agree with the pesto, avocado, roasted veg type recommendations. if i didnt have time to make a sandwich over the summer i would grab a bag of wraps, a ripe avocado, maybe a red pepper, a jar of olives, nooch, and plum vinegar, and assemble at "work" (work being the back of my van at my cookie-selling stall lol)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:02 pm 
Inflexitarian

Mashed avocado, nutritional yeast, sea salt and ground black pepper and a drizzle of balsamic vinegar, on rye. Yes!

Pate! There's a mushroom pate recipe in 1000 Vegan Recipes with cashews in it that I really like as a cheese/faux meat sub for sandwiches. It's really quick to make. Not sure if the recipe calls for it, but I always put some nutritional yeast in too. I also like to make a chickeny seitan loaf with a cashew and herb stuffing. It's very much like the roast chicken sandwiches I grew up on - but way better of course. Also, if you make your own mayo, by adding extra flavourings like mustard, nutritional yeast, sundried tomatoes, sriracha, capers, herbs, etc (perhaps not all together!) you end up with a really nice savoury spread that carries enough flavour to hold its own (I just made a batch of smokey sundried tomato mayo last night and had it on top of a baked potato with caramelised onion and redwood bacon). I also like making curried "egg" sandwiches from either chickpeas or tofu. Chargrilled eggplant, zucchini and mushrooms also go great with salad ingredients on a sandwich.

This week is going to be over 100F every day, so I'm seeing a week of salads and sandwiches ahead of me. This thread is inspiring me!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:03 pm 
Inflexitarian

PS. Most kinds of lentil/nut/veggie loaves make great sandwich fillings too!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:00 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

There is also an entire pinterest board dedicated to vegan cheese recipes!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:11 am 
Saggy Butt

I like this avocado chickpea salad (note: not a vegan site, but the recipe is vegan): http://www.twopeasandtheirpod.com/smash ... -sandwich/

I omit the cilantro and the scallions for personal preference and add cayenne pepper and it's still really good, so I imagine it can be customized in other ways too. I don't mind eating the same thing several days in a row, so this week I made a bowl of it and for a couple days just assembled my sandwiches for work while I was making breakfast. I used lots of lime and it didn't turn brown at all.

I'm also a fan of this tofu salad: http://hellyeahitsvegan.com/tofu-salad-sandwich/

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:41 am 
Semen Strong

paperweight wrote:
I'm also a fan of this tofu salad: http://hellyeahitsvegan.com/tofu-salad-sandwich/

That is so interesting! The recipe looks so simple, I'd worry it tasted like raw tofu, but knowing that you like it, I am definitely going to try it!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:45 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Oh, I bet that would be to die for with homemade tofu! One of these days I will make tofu.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:17 am 
Huffs Nooch

Got all my supplies to make some seitan lunch slices and many other things suggested in the thread, and none involve fake cheese! :)

Well, except for the tofu misozuke, but I won't know how that turns out for a couple months. I worry a little bit about having something sit for so long.. that I'll get some sort of deadly mold/bacteria growing in there and kill my wife and I. But I guess there are lots of people making it and it doesn't seem to hurt anyone. Maybe it's the sake in the recipe?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:44 am 
Semen Strong

hmmmm looks like you can buy misozuke at Fairway.... I'd love to try it!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:03 pm 
Huffs Nooch

If I could easily buy it I'd definitely just do that instead for something involving fermentation.. unfortunately I haven't found it locally, and to get it shipped from Rau Om is $14 total for the 2.5 oz.