| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Vegan Slow Cooking for Two or Just for You by Kathy Hes
PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:24 pm 
Semen Strong

Well part of the reason why I love mine is that I really don't have to make any effort. For the soup tonight, I just put a can of tomatoes, salt, 5 cloves of garlic and a 1/4 cup of cashews into the crockpot and then left it alone for the rest of the day. It was delicious.

I haven't run into the issue of recipes being linked, but re the crockpots, I got a 2Qt crockpot at Amazon for $11 and I have a larger one that I got at a garage sale for $5. So when I made the soy curls in one, I could make baked potatoes in another. But obvs, I could have just microwaved the potatoes as well.

I really like this book a lot. Because when you're watching a toddler, and need something to be really easy and very forgiving on cooking times, then crockpots are so perfect.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:26 pm 
Tofu Pup

I was so excited about this book, but I've made two recipes now that were strangely bitter: Potato, Greens and Soy Curls and Ethiopian Style Tempeh W'et. It seems like the culprit could be coriander (added both separately and in the Garam Masala for one, Berbere Spice Mix for the other). But I'm not one of those people who doesn't like bitter or has a problem with coriander usually, so I'm feeling confused. Has anyone else had a problem with bitterness and these recipes? I saw that karichelle had a similar problem with the Curried Cider Winter Squash Soup. Like karichelle, I also just used garam masala from the bottle instead of making the author's recipe, but that wouldn't apply for the Berbere Spice Mix, where I did follow her recipe. And that one was even more bitter than the one with Garam Masala. Do you think avoiding coriander would help? It's so sad to cook something all day and then just have it be meh. On the positive side, the Vanilla Fig Oatmeal was delicious!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:19 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I got this book for Xmas and bought a 1.5 quart slow cooker especially for it, as I only had a really large slowcooker.

So far only tried two recipes with mixed results. I did the Apple Chai Oat Groats, but using steel cut oats since I can't find groats anywhere. I cooked it on low for 8 hours and thought it was really mushy. Today I tried again just setting my slow cooker timer for an hour and a half on high, then letting it sit all night, and the oats were undercooked. So far I'm not impressed with slow cooker oats, I sort of prefer my stovetop method of boiling them for 1 minute then letting sit overnight, but I may experiment more if anyone has any suggestions. I know slow cooker times can range considerably so it can take some figuring out.

And then yesterday I made the Bean and Oat Veggie Chili Over Baked Sweet Potato. I set it up in the morning with the timer to go for 8 hours on low, but when I got home the beans were still pretty crunchy. I turned it up to high for about an hour but the beans were still undercooked. the sweet potato turned out well, though. I guess I just need to cook the whole thing for much longer. I find the cooking ranges to be sort of vague in this book- as I said I know there's a lot of variation but she provides such large ranges of time, like 2 hours for each recipe, that I am afraid my food will either be over or under cooked.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:26 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

lavawitch wrote:
I was looking at this, and considering it, but the preview shows a couple recipes that are linked and both need the slow cooker. This seems ridiculous--are we supposed to have a whole chain of baby slow cookers running all day?

I'd have to buy a slow cooker, and aim wondering where I would put it. But this might help me cook more if they are all quick.

The 2-qt slow cookers are super cheap at discount stores. Mine was a Black Friday special a couple of years ago, and I think it was something like $7 or $8. And I didn't have to gouge anyone's eyes out for it -- they still had them at 10 am when the crazies had gone home to bed and the store had been restocked. ;)

The only recipe I know that would need 2 slow cookers is the cajun chickpeas with grits, and it is actually 2 recipes in the book but they are served together. And I don't have 2 of the small ones so I just make my grits on the stove before serving -- it doesn't take long because I have quick-cooking ones.

There are some pre-prep ingredients like cooking dry beans, making pre-cooked onions, bouillons...but they don't need to be made at the same time.

I love my slow cooker because I work for Weight Watchers and our 5:30 meetings are popular because people can come right from work, but it occurs right at dinnertime for me. I work 2 of these all year, and add 1-2 more during busy months like now. So when I get home at 7 or 7:30 I want dinner to be done, so all I have to do is plate it up.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:17 pm 
Nailed to the V

Thanks to this book, my little slow cooker is my new best friend. Yesterday I made the Creamy Tomato Basil Bisque and it was so easy my five year-old could have made it! Seriously, just by investing five minutes into throwing stuff in the crock and sitting back to let it do its thing, we had an amazing dinner.

Today I threw the Wacky Cincinnatti Chili into the cooker, so I'll report back once I've tried it. Yum!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:41 am 
Nooch of Earl

Just checked this thread to see if anyone had tried either of the coffee creamers.. Looks like mixed success. I do have a Vitamix, so that will help I guess.. Not sure what to do about the burning issue (other than keeping an eye on it).

I can't buy Silk creamer here, though, so I definitely would like to learn how to make a good creamer! I can at least get hazelnuts.

Anyone try the blueberry one yet?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:33 am 
Nooch of Earl

OK I don't know what the difference is (I'm sure it would burn in the 5qt slow cooker though.. I think a small 1-2qt one is necessary for this recipe) but my hazelnut creamer turned out FANTASTIC. I used skinless hazelnuts and took the vanilla bean out before blending and it's a light beige. Anyway it's delicious in coffee and doesn't seem to get all curdled and gross like some soymilks do. And delicious. Mm. I think maybe I'll try an almond one sometime.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:46 pm 
Semen Strong

Ooooh! Great to hear! It sounds like a few people had bad experiences so I didn't even try, but creamer is yum.