i had purchased a sampler
from abe's market
(with my groupon! yay!) and finished them yesterday. here's my take:
- blueberry almond: OMG YES!!! they reminded me of these totally non-vegan chocolate covered raspberry jellies i used to gorge on when i was little.
- ginger green tea: very tasty wouldn't push it out of bed.
- pumpkin chai: eh. give or take. it was kind-of bland, but i'd be up for giving it another try. maybe it wasn't sweet enough.
- pure cocoa bliss: very nice. it definitely had a fruity undertone, and was nice and simple
- walnut flaxseed crunch: eh.
- sunflower banana butter: a little disconcerting. the flavors didn't seem to match all that well, and was very unsweet.
the price however was a bit ridiculous. $13 for 6 small truffles. i'm glad i tried it and that there was a sampler available, and if i have another groupon, then maybe i'll get a box of blueberry, but definitely not worth full price.rescue chocolate
a few months ago, we got 6-bars of the peanut butter pit-bull, and we finished them within a few days. (they are soooo good! remind me a bit of watchamacallits, or maybe that one with the creamier PB and a sprinkling of rice crispy bits? i think they were cylindrical in shape. soooooo goood!)
then in the same order from abe's (that i got the nicobella from above), i got one of rescue chocolate's samplers
as well. these are 5-2.0 oz bars for $25 (expensive, but all proceeds go to animal shelters.)
so, in addition to the perfect peanut butter pit bull, there are:
- fosteriffic peppermint: very nice, just the right amount of mint, and the cacao nibs aren't too big, nor too numerous. just enough to say "oh hai there!"
- mission feral fig: it's the most fanciest looking of the bunch, but it's not my top pick. the figs are scattered in a pretty design, so that means some squares don't get any chunks of fruit/nut. the figs have a slight cinnamon-y nuance when you get one.
- pick me pepper: whoah! not my favorite. maybe if there was less spiciness going on. (mr. carrot liked it though.) :-) if maybe there was 1/2 the spice, i would like it, but i like to taste my chocolate, and couldn't really here. (i'm also a cilantro hater, and dislike fresh herbs, so i may be a supertaster, and it's possible that i'm overly tuned in to chilis.)
- the fix: solid chocolate bar. simple, pure, yummy. sweet and delicious. creamy, yet not soft. no bitterness.
in jan 2009, i tried some lagusta's luscious truffles
, so here's that copied and pasted. now the website is http://www.bluestockingbonbons.com/
my favorites are the pomegranate one and the ginger one. with the coconut coming up in a close 3rd.http://www.flickr.com/photos/supercarrot/3248257968/Fruity:
- lemon: that's lemon alright. :-)
- orange: this one was really tasty, except the cocoa on the outside was a little disconcerting. the filling however. oh man! orange and chocolate are a dream together.
- coconut: this was one of my favorites. i loved the crunch of the coconut with the smoothness of the chocolate
- pomegranate: oh my goodness! tangy, sweet, perfect! (except the dry rose petal on top gave a real weird textural experience. in the future i would avoid getting the rose petal in my mouth)
- double chocolate: the teeny chocolate chunks on the outside of the smooth truffle interior made for very interesting textural complementarity.
- sea salt: you wouldn't think this would work, just reading the description, but it did. it reminded me of a chocolate covered pretzel.
- chipotle: oh my goodness. i had one bite, and i couldn't have any more. it was too weird for me. mr. carrot ate the rest, but he was also weirded out by it. maybe if it had less chipotle in the mix to just have a hint, but as is, this is just way too spicy.
- ginger: oh yeah! this one is perfect.
- cinnamon cardamom: this one was good, but the spices were ever so too slightly subtle. but i would for sure not turn one down if offered to me. mmmmmm.
i have a few groupons for premiumchocolatiers.com, and i think i also got the chocolate.com deal. so, i'm definitely going to come back and provide more reviews. :-)