| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: The (bisque about your) eczema thread!
PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:48 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I guess it's vegan, then? It's a french brand, it doesn't seem to be sold in China.. AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME. I was really hoping, but they never got back to me when I wrote them and asked. It cleared out my eczema pretty quickly and my skin is always happy when I use it. I have no idea what exactly makes it so much better than anything else I've used, but I like to think it's magic.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:09 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

It's science! They appear to be a very formula-focused brand. We have a similar brand here, derma-e, but they also toss in some natural stuff too. I like everything i've tried from them, but they're kind of pricey so everything I have is from the clearance shelf.

http://dermae.com/category/193/Eczema.html

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:15 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Neat!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:17 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

mrsbadmouth wrote:
What are you washing your face with? I'll bet a mud mask with soothing stuff in it, like chamomile would be nice.

I'm kinda afraid to put anything on my face besides my prescription stuff because I'm allergic to all kinds of strange stuff, so anything I put on my face is likely to turn into a rash...and then I have a rash on top of the eczema. I've never tried a mud mask though. What does it do exactly? Do you have a particular brand you'd recommend?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:13 pm 

There are a ton of different kinds of face masks, you want one that is just made to moisturize and soothe, not the deep sea clay mud masks that are going to suck everything out of your face and then you have to remove the dried mud with a washcloth. If you're worried about reactions, you can make a really basic DIY mask out of mashed avocado or banana.

Here are some recipes, you can replace the honey with agave or maybe even leave it out, I haven't personally tried any of these because I could exfoliate with a truck tire and feel fine, but they're pretty basic and shouldn't do anything bad.

http://inhabitat.com/7-diy-face-masks-f ... mmer-skin/

Soothing manly mask, hi-larious hijinks.

I made a whipped body butter for Christmas, and I kept the leftovers and it has been really great for my feet but it's probably too heavy to use on your face. However, you live in a much bigger city than I do so if you wanted to make your own face stuff with more complicated, but still natural, ingredients you could find most of that stuff in bulk so you wouldn't have to buy more than you needed. I'd say you could also try one of the Lush fresh face masks that are vegan, but those have fragrance and stuff in them and that might upset your face.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:10 am 
Saggy Butt

The always-loved question, "What happened to your hands?" Damnit people, I don't need another reminder that my skin hates me.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:30 am 
And you never will.

JFC my haaaaands. I caught myself scratching one of my hands raw in my sleep the other night, so now I'm afraid I'm going to have to sleep in mittens or something. And I stupidly bought a pair of jeans at goodwill a few weeks ago that have metal buttons that touch my skin, and now I have an oozy welt on my stomach from those. Lovely.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:04 am 

My hands usually aren't that bad during the winter, but a couple of stressful events + naturally being more dry = pain. So much pain. My thumb will not stop cracking and peeling. I even got a break out in a totally new spot, on right palm! Those are always the best, aren't they? They itch and hurt the most.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:53 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I seem to get two types of eczema- one on the backs of my hands which is constant, fluctuates in severity and area it covers and can be incredibly itchy and painful, oozing fluid and all that loveliness. The other turns up occasionally as small circular patches of very dry flaky skin, usually on my upper thigh, forehead or collarbone. It doesn't really bother me and goes away pretty quickly.

My hands are under great control at the moment but the other type has been appearing in so many places, spreading over the last few weeks so most of my chest and back are covered and I have patches of it on my neck, armpits, forearms and groin. I keep finding myself scratching it and have red, shiny skin covered in ragged, flaking dry skin. I feel very unattractive whenever I undress (luckily the bits that sick out of clothing aren't too bad yet) and am worried that some parts of it might scar. Which is unlikely at the moment but ugh.

I do have a doctor's appointment (for something else) on Monday so I'll ask if there is any better way I can deal with it. And check it really is eczema and not leprosy or herpes or something.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:01 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

It's in my butt crack now. I cannot say enough how unpleasant this is.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:30 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

My face is not happy.

Spoiler: show

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:20 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Oh choir queer! I'm so sorry. That looks miserable.

I am joining this thread since I just visited the dermatologist and found out my "bumps that look like carcinomas when I google carcinomas" are likely eczema. The doctor gave me two creams - one that seems to be a nut oil mixed with bees wax (I know...) and a steroid cream. I'm supposed to apply it to the tiny spots and see if they diminish.

I have never dealt with eczema so I didn't even consider what I had going on to be that, but I suppose it's possible. Is eczema something you guys have dealt with forever or did it "start" at some point?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:15 pm 

Ouch CQ, did you try the mashed avocado ir anything?

My eczema developed when I was 17. I think babies that have eczema usually grow out of it. I've never been prescribed anything for it but steroids of some sort are usually how professionals deal with it. Where are your bumps at?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:41 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

A dermatologist prescribed a steroid cream for the eczema around my mouth but it didn't really work. It's gone away as I've aged. Chapstick works about as well for me and has fewer side effects so that's what I use these days.

I just developed really bad eczema behind my ears. It's so painful and itchy. I'm going to try some Benadryl cream and see if that helps. Ugh.

Has anyone here tried aloe before? I don't mean a cream, I mean pure aloe goo from the plant.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:20 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

mrsbadmouth wrote:

My eczema developed when I was 17. I think babies that have eczema usually grow out of it. I've never been prescribed anything for it but steroids of some sort are usually how professionals deal with it. Where are your bumps at?

Aw crepe! Oh man, so this is what I did...I bought avocados to use for this. Then I forgot that's why I bought the avocados. So for like a week I kept thinking "I'm saving these avocados for something so I better not just snack on them", so I didn't eat them, but since I had forgotten why I actually bought them, I ended up not using them at all and they went bad. WAY TO GO, SELF. :(

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:16 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

mrsbadmouth wrote:

I have one on the inside of my forearm and the rest are on my back either near my neck and shoulders or my lower back. They are small patches.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:58 am 
And you never will.

Have any of you ever tried a paraffin wax treatment on your hands? A friend of mine said it helped her eczema, but I don't really want to shell out the money if it's not going to help. Between baking and keeping my cousin's baby I'm washing my hands (and the dishes) constantly.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:25 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

I would do anything if someone gives me a remedy for my face. I have eczema/atopic skin and I look about 60 years old right now between dry winter air and an eczema freakout around my eyes and nose. Nothing I've used for it is helping, most of it just makes me itchy and dry and of course now everything burns. My doctor gave me a steroid cream some time ago but my skin's already really thin on my face and those make my skin flake off like crazy (and burn). I keep trying to find good vegan alternatives to Eucerin cream (which I used to slather everywhere on top of Cetaphil's Eczema Formula), but sometimes it seems like I can find no natural plant-based solution that doesn't make my skin freak.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:37 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

madeliene wrote:
I would do anything if someone gives me a remedy for my face. I have eczema/atopic skin and I look about 60 years old right now between dry winter air and an eczema freakout around my eyes and nose. Nothing I've used for it is helping, most of it just makes me itchy and dry and of course now everything burns. My doctor gave me a steroid cream some time ago but my skin's already really thin on my face and those make my skin flake off like crazy (and burn). I keep trying to find good vegan alternatives to Eucerin cream (which I used to slather everywhere on top of Cetaphil's Eczema Formula), but sometimes it seems like I can find no natural plant-based solution that doesn't make my skin freak.

Yeah that's exactly where I get mine, too! I tried everything and ended up having to go with prescription stuff. Betamethasone valirate ointment twice a day and ketaconazole cream once a day. It's the only thing that worked for me.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:57 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

choirqueer wrote:
madeliene wrote:

Yeah that's exactly where I get mine, too! I tried everything and ended up having to go with prescription stuff. Betamethasone valirate ointment twice a day and ketaconazole cream once a day. It's the only thing that worked for me.

Thanks, it's so annoying! People are always asking me if I'm okay/sick/etc. this time of year because the skin under/around my eyes gets so red/puffy/irritated. *sigh* The mometosone my doctor gave me just burns the crepe out of my face and makes my skin flake/peel... maybe I'll just go back to her to see if she has something less irritating.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:23 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

madeliene wrote:
choirqueer wrote:
madeliene wrote:

Thanks, it's so annoying! People are always asking me if I'm okay/sick/etc. this time of year because the skin under/around my eyes gets so red/puffy/irritated. *sigh* The mometosone my doctor gave me just burns the crepe out of my face and makes my skin flake/peel... maybe I'll just go back to her to see if she has something less irritating.

My skin flips out at absolutely anything...I can't even use sunscreen because the rash I get from it is so much worse than a sunburn, it's not even worth it. But the stuff I mentioned has been working pretty well for me for about a year now, so maybe that would help for you? The only catch is that (for me at least) it really only works if I remember to do the ointment in the morning and evening and the cream somewhere in between. If I forget one, I might as well not do it at all.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:20 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

So my husband has eczema and is in the process of trying to pinpoint if his flareups are stress or diet related. So far it looks like stress definitely triggers it (and that's common I gather) but that soy may do the trick as well. This is sort of a bummer in that soy is one of the few vegan proteins he'll eat. Guess I'll have to work on my seitan making skills... I was just wondering if anyone has any diet-related insight into eczema, or is this one of those conditions in which its completely unique for each person?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:26 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Sugar makes mine worse. Choirqueer, the butt crack eczema is the worst. Mine's gone at the moment, but my legs are a mess.

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 9:27 pm 
Sick of Cupcakes

It's so much fun when I touch my face and it just flakes right off! Who needs skin on their face anyway?

D:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:22 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

So after lots of yucky google image searches I've decided the red itchy inflamed area on my eyelid and elbow crease is eczema. I've never had it before. Why now? I think it's the humidity and sweat from living with no AC all summer. Could be stress. Sigh.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next