| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:02 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 275 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: The Type 1 Diabetes Rumpus Room
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:15 pm 
Grandfathered In
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:41 pm
Posts: 9179
Location: Seattle
Come on in, you pancreatically challenged wonders!

_________________
Did somebody say Keep on rockin?


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Type 1 Diabetes Rumpus Room
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:34 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person
User avatar
Online

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:17 pm
Posts: 3785
Location: Austin
Finally! A place where I can talk about my love for diet Vernor's ginger ale.


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Type 1 Diabetes Rumpus Room
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:49 pm 
Chard Martyr
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:43 pm
Posts: 9984
Location: Astoria, NY by way of San Diego, CA
can I ask if you use insulin pumps or if you are on basal insulin plus rapid acting? or something else?

how good are you at estimating carbohydrates in foods?

if you don't want to answer questions in your rumpus room that's ok! i'm just really curious!

_________________
I am not a troll. I am TELLING YOU THE ******GOD'S TRUTH****** AND YOU JUST DON'T WANT THE HEAR IT DO YOU?


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Type 1 Diabetes Rumpus Room
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:52 pm 
Grandfathered In
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:41 pm
Posts: 9179
Location: Seattle
I am on Lantus and Humalog.

I'm pretty good at estimating how much insulin I'll need for a particular meal. But the range isn't very great, so it's not that hard.

I mean, for supper, I'll take between 23 and 24.5 units of Humalog, depending on bG and what I'm eating.

_________________
Did somebody say Keep on rockin?


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Type 1 Diabetes Rumpus Room
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:05 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person
User avatar
Online

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:17 pm
Posts: 3785
Location: Austin
I'm on MDI, too. Lantus and humalog. I split my lantus into two unequal shots and my carb to humalog ratio is different at different times of the day, so that mimics a lot of what I'd do with a pump anyway. The only thing I can't do is temporarily lower the basal when I'm exercising or on the rare occasions that I have an alcoholic drink. I'll probably get a pump when I'm ready to start trying for a baby since that's especially tricky, but for now I don't want to be a cyborg.

I'm pretty good at guestimating carbs on the foods I eat most often, but things I rarely eat (like sweets or unfamiliar vegetables) are trickier. And veggie burgers at restaurants are really tricky since they can be made from soy or vegetables or beans or grains.


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Type 1 Diabetes Rumpus Room
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:05 pm 
Chard Martyr
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:43 pm
Posts: 9984
Location: Astoria, NY by way of San Diego, CA
thanks! i don't really know the practical aspects of diabetes and how people ACTUALLY live with it. I just know what we learn in school, which I assume doesn't necessarily apply to everyone. Like, if you had low blood sugar it seems like it might not be that easy to eat a 15g snack or glucose tablet and wait 15 minutes before checking again. if you're feeling terrible it might be hard to follow the rules like that.

_________________
I am not a troll. I am TELLING YOU THE ******GOD'S TRUTH****** AND YOU JUST DON'T WANT THE HEAR IT DO YOU?


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Type 1 Diabetes Rumpus Room
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:09 pm 
Grandfathered In
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:41 pm
Posts: 9179
Location: Seattle
mollyjade wrote:
I'm on MDI, too. Lantus and humalog. I split my lantus into two unequal shots and my carb to humalog ratio is different at different times of the day, so that mimics a lot of what I'd do with a pump anyway. The only thing I can't do is temporarily lower the basal when I'm exercising or on the rare occasions that I have an alcoholic drink. I'll probably get a pump when I'm ready to start trying for a baby since that's especially tricky, but for now I don't want to be a cyborg.


Diabetes twins. (I don't want to be a cyborg either.)

_________________
Did somebody say Keep on rockin?


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Type 1 Diabetes Rumpus Room
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:10 pm 
Grandfathered In
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:41 pm
Posts: 9179
Location: Seattle
ijustdiedinside wrote:
thanks! i don't really know the practical aspects of diabetes and how people ACTUALLY live with it. I just know what we learn in school, which I assume doesn't necessarily apply to everyone. Like, if you had low blood sugar it seems like it might not be that easy to eat a 15g snack or glucose tablet and wait 15 minutes before checking again. if you're feeling terrible it might be hard to follow the rules like that.


Exactly! When I am really low, it is a shitty, panicky feeling. It is extremely easy to overtreat in those cases. It's extremely easy to drastically overtreat, even if I've been in that situation hundreds of times!

_________________
Did somebody say Keep on rockin?


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Type 1 Diabetes Rumpus Room
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:49 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person
User avatar
Online

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:17 pm
Posts: 3785
Location: Austin
FootFace wrote:
ijustdiedinside wrote:
thanks! i don't really know the practical aspects of diabetes and how people ACTUALLY live with it. I just know what we learn in school, which I assume doesn't necessarily apply to everyone. Like, if you had low blood sugar it seems like it might not be that easy to eat a 15g snack or glucose tablet and wait 15 minutes before checking again. if you're feeling terrible it might be hard to follow the rules like that.


Exactly! When I am really low, it is a shitty, panicky feeling. It is extremely easy to overtreat in those cases. It's extremely easy to drastically overtreat, even if I've been in that situation hundreds of times!

It's not too bad if I catch it early, but if it's something I catch late (like when I'm asleep), it's really hard not to eat half a jar of peanut butter. A lot of times I'll try to trick myself by drinking diet coke (after I eat a few glucose tabs) since it tastes sweet at least.


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Type 1 Diabetes Rumpus Room
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:51 am 
Grandfathered In
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:41 pm
Posts: 9179
Location: Seattle
How many injections have you given yourself?

I figured it out for myself:

Roughly (very roughly) 33,000?

I thought it'd be more.

_________________
Did somebody say Keep on rockin?


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Type 1 Diabetes Rumpus Room
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:14 am 
Angrily Posting on Facebook
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:43 pm
Posts: 3129
Location: mt. pleasant
i had a friend's whose bs was 500 BEFORE she started drinking!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Type 1 Diabetes Rumpus Room
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:18 am 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person
User avatar
Online

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:17 pm
Posts: 3785
Location: Austin
FootFace wrote:
How many injections have you given yourself?

I figured it out for myself:

Roughly (very roughly) 33,000?

I thought it'd be more.

Conservatively, 25,000. The first 13 years, I only did 2 injections a day because I was on nph and regular and you could mix them and I used the nph peak to cover lunch.
fupapack wrote:
i had a friend's whose bs was 500 BEFORE she started drinking!

drinking what?


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Type 1 Diabetes Rumpus Room
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:55 am 
Angrily Posting on Facebook
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:43 pm
Posts: 3129
Location: mt. pleasant
she drank mixed drinks all night, specifically gin and tonics. i know alcohol in large quantities lowers bs, but all that high fructose corn syrup....


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Type 1 Diabetes Rumpus Room
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:05 am 
Chard Martyr
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:43 pm
Posts: 9984
Location: Astoria, NY by way of San Diego, CA
I read a kind of heartbreaking book recently called Diabesity (hate the name). But, it ended up being a lot about Type 1. It's written by a pediatric endocrinologist who basically just told lots of stories about her patients. She had one patient who was diagnosed when he was 2 or 3 and to get him to be ok with getting injections his dad told him he also had to get injections and would take injections of water when the son got his insulin. The dad never knew how to stop doing this, so it continued until the son was 5 or 6. It was a really heartbreaking story. When they finally sat down with the son and this doctor the son was like "dad, you don't even have diabetes. why are you getting these shots?"

_________________
I am not a troll. I am TELLING YOU THE ******GOD'S TRUTH****** AND YOU JUST DON'T WANT THE HEAR IT DO YOU?


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Type 1 Diabetes Rumpus Room
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:12 am 
Angrily Posting on Facebook
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:43 pm
Posts: 3129
Location: mt. pleasant
it could have become a part of self injurious behavior?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Type 1 Diabetes Rumpus Room
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:21 am 
Chard Martyr
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:43 pm
Posts: 9984
Location: Astoria, NY by way of San Diego, CA
fupapack wrote:
it could have become a part of self injurious behavior?



maybe i didn't explain it very well, but no, i doubt it. he just didn't know how to explain to his son that he had been lying to him that whole time.

_________________
I am not a troll. I am TELLING YOU THE ******GOD'S TRUTH****** AND YOU JUST DON'T WANT THE HEAR IT DO YOU?


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Type 1 Diabetes Rumpus Room
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:03 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:12 pm
Posts: 652
Can I play? I don't have it (should go see trialnet) but my 5 year old has had it since he was 20 months old. He's on lantus and novolog, has been on the nightmare that is nph and a non-communicating toddler at one point. My 2 year old daughter just tested negative for antibodies. He will soon get testing done because he has low muscle tone and his memory is fading quickly-there could be autoimmune reasons for the muscle tone and the brain thing might be from being in dka twice and a coma once-the second dka was at the fault of a stupid hospital. I've promised not to google until we see more specialists.

For the dad with shots things-that's sort of weird. We got a rufus bear and he gave him shots and pokes-now he never plays with him. When he got to play around more kids he noticed that he was different. When I was pregnant I had to test my blood sugar because they were worried the stressful pregnancy would trigger type 1 (we have a strong family history) and he was confused but asked a lot of questions. He never fought shots in the beginning. He just hates that things like tests and shots take time, he's real busy being a jedi.

A nurse with diabetes told me she has woken up to about everything in her kitchen gone-she'll check her meter and it showed she tested low. She never recalls eating everything! My son doesn't like to tell us when he's low, he's confided he likes the spinny feeling. He is a deep sleeper so I get up at least once a night to test him. I hope he will agree to a cgms when he's older, but he'd probably sleep through the alarms. His 8 year old friend said he likes to get real low so he'll get more candy.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Type 1 Diabetes Rumpus Room
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:23 am 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person
User avatar
Online

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:17 pm
Posts: 3785
Location: Austin
Aliks wrote:
Can I play? I don't have it (should go see trialnet) but my 5 year old has had it since he was 20 months old. He's on lantus and novolog, has been on the nightmare that is nph and a non-communicating toddler at one point. My 2 year old daughter just tested negative for antibodies. He will soon get testing done because he has low muscle tone and his memory is fading quickly-there could be autoimmune reasons for the muscle tone and the brain thing might be from being in dka twice and a coma once-the second dka was at the fault of a stupid hospital. I've promised not to google until we see more specialists.

For the dad with shots things-that's sort of weird. We got a rufus bear and he gave him shots and pokes-now he never plays with him. When he got to play around more kids he noticed that he was different. When I was pregnant I had to test my blood sugar because they were worried the stressful pregnancy would trigger type 1 (we have a strong family history) and he was confused but asked a lot of questions. He never fought shots in the beginning. He just hates that things like tests and shots take time, he's real busy being a jedi.

A nurse with diabetes told me she has woken up to about everything in her kitchen gone-she'll check her meter and it showed she tested low. She never recalls eating everything! My son doesn't like to tell us when he's low, he's confided he likes the spinny feeling. He is a deep sleeper so I get up at least once a night to test him. I hope he will agree to a cgms when he's older, but he'd probably sleep through the alarms. His 8 year old friend said he likes to get real low so he'll get more candy.

Crossing my fingers for your son. Is there a diabetes camp near you? That was the best thing ever when I was a kid because I felt so normal. It sounds like he already has a least one friend with diabetes though.


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Type 1 Diabetes Rumpus Room
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:44 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:12 pm
Posts: 652
Theres one 5 hours north that we'll go to when he gets bigger. right now an adult would have to stay with him for the first year of camp because he is so young, and no siblings-which is impossible with the hubbys work schedule. No one would babysit my 2 year old for that long cause she is scary. his friend is moving to the other side of the country. For now I point out celebrities that have diabetes, but I guess it's good there's no one else with it cause I wouldn't wish this on anyone! I met a few other parents through the ADA, but their kids are teens or the one that is his age-it's awful. Long story but they are upping the risks of her complications cause they eat burger king everyday and she is morbidly obese, they also have no personal boundaries.

Sounds weird, but it's comforting to talk to adults living with this. I've had a few Nurse Dooms who have told me he'll live to be 40 after having multiple amputations and strokes. Now I know it's not always like that! My aunt passed from this when I was a toddler but she was diagnosed in the 1950's before meters, newer insulins, technology, etc.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Type 1 Diabetes Rumpus Room
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:55 pm 
Chard Martyr
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:43 pm
Posts: 9984
Location: Astoria, NY by way of San Diego, CA
Aliks wrote:
Theres one 5 hours north that we'll go to when he gets bigger. right now an adult would have to stay with him for the first year of camp because he is so young, and no siblings-which is impossible with the hubbys work schedule. No one would babysit my 2 year old for that long cause she is scary. his friend is moving to the other side of the country. For now I point out celebrities that have diabetes, but I guess it's good there's no one else with it cause I wouldn't wish this on anyone! I met a few other parents through the ADA, but their kids are teens or the one that is his age-it's awful. Long story but they are upping the risks of her complications cause they eat burger king everyday and she is morbidly obese, they also have no personal boundaries.

Sounds weird, but it's comforting to talk to adults living with this. I've had a few Nurse Dooms who have told me he'll live to be 40 after having multiple amputations and strokes. Now I know it's not always like that! My aunt passed from this when I was a toddler but she was diagnosed in the 1950's before meters, newer insulins, technology, etc.


that's a bummer that they don't allow siblings! you'd think they could have some groups and stuff to deal with the issues that siblings of diabetic kids might have. Anyway, I thought I should just tell you why I've been posting in here even though I don't have diabetes. I'm in the process of getting a masters in nutrition and becoming an RD, and I've been really fascinated with everything we've been learning about diabetes. I am going to try to become a certified diabetes educator after I become an RD.

_________________
I am not a troll. I am TELLING YOU THE ******GOD'S TRUTH****** AND YOU JUST DON'T WANT THE HEAR IT DO YOU?


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Type 1 Diabetes Rumpus Room
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:04 pm 
Grandfathered In
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:41 pm
Posts: 9179
Location: Seattle
I'm really sorry to hear about your kids. I can't even imagine having to deal with all that. I am so glad that if I was going to get this, it didn't happen until I was 26.

_________________
Did somebody say Keep on rockin?


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Type 1 Diabetes Rumpus Room
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:29 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person
User avatar
Online

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:17 pm
Posts: 3785
Location: Austin
Aliks wrote:
Theres one 5 hours north that we'll go to when he gets bigger. right now an adult would have to stay with him for the first year of camp because he is so young, and no siblings-which is impossible with the hubbys work schedule. No one would babysit my 2 year old for that long cause she is scary. his friend is moving to the other side of the country. For now I point out celebrities that have diabetes, but I guess it's good there's no one else with it cause I wouldn't wish this on anyone! I met a few other parents through the ADA, but their kids are teens or the one that is his age-it's awful. Long story but they are upping the risks of her complications cause they eat burger king everyday and she is morbidly obese, they also have no personal boundaries.

Sounds weird, but it's comforting to talk to adults living with this. I've had a few Nurse Dooms who have told me he'll live to be 40 after having multiple amputations and strokes. Now I know it's not always like that! My aunt passed from this when I was a toddler but she was diagnosed in the 1950's before meters, newer insulins, technology, etc.

It's too bad that it's so far away. The one I went to was a day camp and they allowed siblings. I started going when I was five, I think. There was a sleep away camp, too, but even as a kid I was introverted enough not to want to spend that much time with strangers.

Shame on any nurses who tell you things like that. We don't really know what the risks of long-term complications are these days because we're the first generation of type 1 diabetics to grow up with home glucose monitors and tight control. What we can expect isn't the same as someone who was diagnosed even 40 years ago.


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Type 1 Diabetes Rumpus Room
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:33 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:12 pm
Posts: 652
we live far away from anything cool, southern oregon. I'm involved with the ADA so I've got that for support and an online community where I've learned things like digital scales, tweaking ratios-at our old hospital they never mentioned any of that and his a1c went down 3 points when we moved.
ijustdied-I'm interested in going back to school to be a dietician or nutritionist involved with diabetes when my youngest goes to school full time. I have no clue how to go about it but I've got 5 years till then!
Sadly I've come across a lot of people that are full of doom-the new hospital we go to is a bit more inspiring than the old one thankfully. But as a parent new to this it was awful to hear all of that. My grandpa that was the father of my aunt is amazed at all the stuff my son has, but it is really sad his girl never got a good chance.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Type 1 Diabetes Rumpus Room
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:25 pm 
Chard Martyr
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:43 pm
Posts: 9984
Location: Astoria, NY by way of San Diego, CA
Aliks wrote:
ijustdied-I'm interested in going back to school to be a dietician or nutritionist involved with diabetes when my youngest goes to school full time. I have no clue how to go about it but I've got 5 years till then!


cool! i know that university of oregon in corvallis has a nutrition program! you can get either a masters or a bachelors degree and still become an RD, so it may not be too hard to do! the only thing is, if you don't have a science background there are kind of a lot of prerequisites, but you can take many of them online and you've got 5 years to do it, so it might be a good idea to start looking into what programs you'd like to go into and get those prerequisites out of the way one class at a time so it won't seem so daunting!

if you ever have any questions i'm happy to answer them.

_________________
I am not a troll. I am TELLING YOU THE ******GOD'S TRUTH****** AND YOU JUST DON'T WANT THE HEAR IT DO YOU?


Top
 Profile WWW  
 
 Post subject: Re: The Type 1 Diabetes Rumpus Room
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:59 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:59 pm
Posts: 425
ijustdiedinside wrote:
Aliks wrote:
ijustdied-I'm interested in going back to school to be a dietician or nutritionist involved with diabetes when my youngest goes to school full time. I have no clue how to go about it but I've got 5 years till then!


cool! i know that university of oregon in corvallis has a nutrition program! you can get either a masters or a bachelors degree and still become an RD, so it may not be too hard to do! the only thing is, if you don't have a science background there are kind of a lot of prerequisites, but you can take many of them online and you've got 5 years to do it, so it might be a good idea to start looking into what programs you'd like to go into and get those prerequisites out of the way one class at a time so it won't seem so daunting!

if you ever have any questions i'm happy to answer them.

Good info ijustdied! I'm sorry to butt in, but Aliks, on top of getting your RD you can become a Certified Diabetes Educator (CDE). I know a few dietitians who also have their CDE, one works with patients doing group and individual counseling, and works on community education (and prevention of Type II). You can find info on how to get your CDE here: http://www.ncbde.org/interest_certif.cfm

eta: I accidentally wrote ijustdiet, haha


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic  [ 275 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: willwolf and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Template made by DEVPPL/ThatBigForum and fancied up by What Cheer