| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:58 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Care package for newish vegan?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:51 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

One of my friends at school has a younger sister who has been vegan for a little while, but she lives in a small town and apparently doesn't cook for herself a lot, and it seems that she's missing out on a lot of stuff because of that. Or something along those lines. Anyway, I want to throw together a little care package for her consisting of (a) completely unhealthy junk food that's delicious, (b) staples, and (c) healthy noms. One thing to consider is that, according to her sister, she doesn't cook a lot. So I wouldn't go giving her crazy ingredients or anything.

Some things I know I already want to give her:
- Go Max Go candy bar
- Daiya mozz
- Soy curls or TVP
- Wheat gluten flour
- Nutritional yeast (she has to break her nooch virginity someday)
- A couple Luna bars
- Vegan chocolate chips

I'm going back home to Chicago over winter break, so I have access to places like international markets, Devon Avenue (too crazy? Probably), and Chinatown. And I might stock up on internet noms during then, too, so ANY recommendations that I can get my hands on will be totally welcome!

Post subject: Re: Care package for newish vegan?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:16 am 
Santa is a WELFARIST!

Maybe include some brand of vitamins? She might be missing out on good nutrition if she doesn't cook a lot. When will they invent microwave food that has vitamins added???? Or vitamin beer for that matter.

Ooh and you should print out or get some coupons for vegan stuff so she isn't spending a fortune when she shops.
( http://bankruptvegan.blogspot.com/ )

Maybe a cookie mix so she can whip up cookies some time? Or add some (hard to fine) vegan graham crackers and dandies to make smores!

Oh and maybe a simple cookzine? I dunno, my brain is crepe right now.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:23 am 

I'm definitely going to gather some good recipes that don't require too much effort or uncommon ingredients (uncommon to a rural area, that is). The Dandies I considered--s'mores sounds good to me!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:42 am 
Naked Under Apron

How about a few issues of VegNews so that she can get ideas and learn more?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:42 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Tings! And a recipe for double batch chickpea cutlets!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:08 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

If she doesn't cook much, it might be helpful to get her a "cookbook" with really easy/supermarket-friendly recipes. Maybe the PETA "Vegan Student" cookbook or whatever it's called (personal feelings about PETA aside. . .)?

Also, some really good nut butters would be nice. One of the PB&Co. peanut butters, or raw almond butter (if it's not too pricey).

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:12 pm 

lilyyw wrote:
If she doesn't cook much, it might be helpful to get her a "cookbook" with really easy/supermarket-friendly recipes. Maybe the PETA "Vegan Student" cookbook or whatever it's called (personal feelings about PETA aside. . .)?

Also, some really good nut butters would be nice. One of the PB&Co. peanut butters, or raw almond butter (if it's not too pricey).

Didn't they go out of business? I was actually thinking of stocking up on some bulk white chocolate or dark chocolate kind from Amazon (it's a lot of PB), so I could always give her an extra jar.

I'm not sure if I'll have enough money to buy her a cookbook, so I was just going to gather simple recipes online and scanned stuff from my own collection.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:59 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

queenofpainting wrote:
lilyyw wrote:

Didn't they go out of business? I was actually thinking of stocking up on some bulk white chocolate or dark chocolate kind from Amazon (it's a lot of PB), so I could always give her an extra jar.

I'm not sure if I'll have enough money to buy her a cookbook, so I was just going to gather simple recipes online and scanned stuff from my own collection.

I have some of the PB&Co. peanut butters and they're delicious! I haven't heard about them going out of business.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:50 pm 

VeganMeredith wrote:
queenofpainting wrote:
lilyyw wrote:

I have some of the PB&Co. peanut butters and they're delicious! I haven't heard about them going out of business.

Oh, I know what happened. I always get PB Loco and PB&Co confused. I was also not aware that they sold products in Whole Foods.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:42 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

If you are shipping it overnight or something you could include some "We can't say its cheese" since it is the best fake cheese in the world, I think. But the cost of trying to keep that from spoiling in a package would probably be prohibitive.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:07 am 

My friend lives about three hours from home, so I think it'd be okay. I would just buy the refrigerated goods right before she plans to go home. And I myself have not tried We Can't Say It's Cheese yet, but I'd like to try it. Which would you recommend? It looks like something I'd put on nachos or perhaps inside a quesadilla.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:04 pm 
Has Isa on speed dial

Famous Nacho Mom's Vegan queso!
http://fatgoblin.com/

I just bought it yesterday and we are eating it now while the chili is simmering!! We're are waiting for guests to come over and decorate the christmas tree, but I fear it will be gone soon as even my non vegan family is going crazy over it!! It heats up well too! It seems like something she could herself make in time if she did get into cooking (which I feel is what naturally happens when someone becomes vegan), but it's fun to be able to not have to cook sometimes.

I would also say a pack of vitamins would be good. I remember when I got to college I was already vegan, but I didn't have a kitchen and I quickly grew dissatisfied with the cafeteria. I got really unhealthy eating a lot of bars and snack food. It resulted with me going back to vegetarianism. However, I'm glad I found my way back. :) I would hate for her to feel unhealthy and become disillusioned.