| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:38 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 559 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next
 Post subject: Re: Mad Men Season 6 (no comic spoilers! J/K)
PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:11 am 
Flounceiad 2011

vijita wrote:
rachell37 wrote:
(final!)

Sobbing.
Well, apparently they're splitting the "final" season up into two mini-seasons, so we'll get 7 episodes and then have to wait and be frustrated for another year, wondering what's going to happen. Thanks, Matt Weiner!

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:09 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Desdemona wrote:
vijita wrote:
rachell37 wrote:
(final!)

Sobbing.
Well, apparently they're splitting the "final" season up into two mini-seasons, so we'll get 7 episodes and then have to wait and be frustrated for another year, wondering what's going to happen. Thanks, Matt Weiner!

Ugh, someone's taking (terrible) notes from Steven Moffat.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:27 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

rachell37 wrote:
Desdemona wrote:
Ugh, someone's taking (terrible) notes from Steven Moffat.
For real.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:55 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

So - what do we think? Has Roger lost his mind entirely? Has his daughter discovered est or something, or she is playing some kind of long game? Has Megan got something going on the side? What about Don's "Cyrano de Bergerac" scheme? Is anyone else nonplussed that Ken has turned into an angry jerk and Pete seems like the only happy person in the Mad Men universe?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:24 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Megan is going to leave Don and he is going to hit rock bottom before coming back to the firm. Maybe he'll even start a new one again? And I'm loving happy Pete. He's got the whole "douchebag with a pink shirt wrapped around his shoulders in Cali"-thing down to a T. Rogers daughter has found herself through a weird cult and she's going to scam him for money, which is going to make him drop the whole LSD-orgy-thing and become an evil capitalist/playboy again.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:42 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

smoothie wrote:
Megan is going to leave Don and he is going to hit rock bottom before coming back to the firm. Maybe he'll even start a new one again? And I'm loving happy Pete. He's got the whole "douchebag with a pink shirt wrapped around his shoulders in Cali"-thing down to a T.
I definitely think a new agency could be in Don's future; maybe even with Happy LA Pete, who is hilarious. I love his sort of cheery, confiding, almost flirtatious manner with Don; you'd never have got that from NYC Bitchface Pete.
smoothie wrote:
Rogers daughter has found herself through a weird cult and she's going to scam him for money, which is going to make him drop the whole LSD-orgy-thing and become an evil capitalist/playboy again.
I can't wait for the return of wasp-tongued, evil capitalist/playboy Roger. Filling his mother's mansion with a bunch of dirty hippies and avoiding the office is just not "him." I can't wait to see what's up with Betty and the kids.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:01 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I bet that Betty is going to find a new charming and rich playboy, which will make Don super jealous, because while he can live with her marrying the most boring person ever, he won't be able to deal with her hooking up with a fancy rich playboy type.

Happy LA Pete is so amazing. I am loving the twist on his character. I really hope that he hooks up with Megan.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:38 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Ha ha, I know, I loved Sunny in LA Pete. Those pants were killin' me.
The plane scene with Neve Campbell was really good, IMO. Really riveting in a quiet way.
I need my Roger to go back to his old ways. This hippie thing has gone too far :) I still can't get a read on his daughter, but it definitely sound like she's joined some cult. (What's "est," BTW?)
I'm still processing the Don/Cyrano thing and what's going on with Don's character. I mean, it seems like he's heading for bottom but would a guy headed that way still find any which way to work? Wouldn't he just say fork it?
Ken just needs to go pout in the corner. And I'm hopeful after Sunday's episode that this season has more Joan, strong kick asparagus Joan.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:04 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I kind of love how Ken and Harry have both gone from these honest, happy, and slightly naive guys to jaded and kind of jerky. Just the level of development for characters who have always existed in a supporting context is great.

Peggy at the end made me so sad.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:13 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I know! Poor Peggy!

I loved seeing smart, kick asparagus Joan.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:50 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

when that shoe guy realises she's a partner, he's going to shiitake bricks. (i love that she never disclosed to him that she's not just a secretary.)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:31 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

With Pete all happy in Cali and Ken super stressed - I wonder if Joan will end up head of accounts? It seems to be what they're suggesting.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:33 pm 
Chard Martyr

emmalv wrote:
The plane scene with Neve Campbell was really good, IMO.

Agreed. It was another typical Don scene, but the timelessness of a red eye high above the country makes any interaction fascinating.

The balcony ending was too 'okay we get it mad men symbolism hammered into our heads again' for my liking.

I'm more interested in Peggy's story than Joan's, for once, and I really don't care about Ken but I want to see more Harry.

Jesus christ Megan is rich. I am okay with her going away now, as I've always been.

I can't wait to see Betty.

Roger's story is entertaining and interesting, as Roger's arcs always are!

Mostly I just enjoyed the cozy feeling of watching Mad Men again with my cats on the couch. It was like going to a spa.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:31 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Vijita, I'm so with you on the balcony scene.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:13 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I was trying to figure out if that was Neve Campbell or not!

Don on the roof all alone and cold - a bit to emo for me.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:56 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

emmalv wrote:
Ha ha, I know, I loved Sunny in LA Pete. Those pants were killin' me.
The plane scene with Neve Campbell was really good, IMO. Really riveting in a quiet way.
I need my Roger to go back to his old ways. This hippie thing has gone too far :) I still can't get a read on his daughter, but it definitely sound like she's joined some cult. (What's "est," BTW?)
It was a consciousness-raising/lifestyle overhaul thing in the '70s, but it looks like 1969 might be a bit too early. But it looks like Margaret is definitely into something along those lines.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erhard_Seminars_Training
emmalv wrote:
And I'm hopeful after Sunday's episode that this season has more Joan, strong kick asparagus Joan.
I hope we see a lot more of Joan this season, but I don't see that character being empowered at all; in fact, I feel sorrier and sorrier for her as the show goes along. She's a partner, but people still bark orders at her, treat her like a secretary, and refuse to take her seriously (and of course everyone knows how she got to be a partner, and she knows it). The moment when she realized the university professor wasn't propositioning her was a great bit of acting: first the "Oh, no, this again" wariness, quickly replaced by confusion and relief, but mixed with a tinge of regret/concern that she might be losing the sex appeal that's been her stock in trade her entire adult life.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:50 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Oh, I don't think Joan is empowered either. At all. I feel bad for her too - though I admit I was mad at her for getting the partnership in the fashion she did and then expecting to be respected. But I know its complicated, etc and I've moved on this season :). But that's why I'm rooting for her. Because she IS smart, she CAN kick asparagus, and she actually has the business knowledge and acumen to deserve real, earned respect. Reading your take on the scene with the professor was interesting, because I saw the wariness that you describe, then I saw embarassment at just jumping to the conclusion she did and realizing she was wrong, and then finally the fierceness in her "you need another notepad" comment.

Thanks for posting the wiki link!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:43 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I really liked this week's episode! The conference call scene was hilarious and so was Pete freaking out about Bob Benson. So happy for Joan and Dawn, I am eager to see how they take to their new roles.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:41 am 
Bathes in Braggs

That conference call scene was hilarious. We experience stuff like that now, I can't imagine trying to get business done like that in 1969/1970. And yes, finally someone stood up for Joan! Was it me or was Roger less than pleased, like he liked Joan "in her place"?

In general, I love the episodes that are Don and Sally focused. Its interesting to see both the similar ways and yet the distinctly unsimilar ways he acts with her compared to the other women in his life.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:32 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

I don't think Jim was really sticking up for Joan. He always seems to be plotting against the Sterling-Cooper business partners. He'd be thrilled to get rid of most (or all) of them.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:06 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

So are you saying he wanted to move Joan just out of spite? Or to watch her fail to get rid of her?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:40 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

I think he knows that there's some kind of history between Joan and Roger. The new office is right next to his, right? And between that and Joan's shaky position because of the prostitution (or whatever we want to call it), moving her upstairs will probably cause problems.

Jim never seems to do anything straightforward, so I'm just suspicious of anything he does.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:22 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

I love Dawn and Shirley talking smack and calling each other by their own names. I hope we see a lot more of Shirley, and it was great when Dawn stood up to that miserable crasshole Lou; he is the worst, and has to go. But ugh, Peggy; stop embarrassing yourself. It's one thing to become an abusive boss like the ones she studied under, but the casual racism followed by the verbal tantrum was just too much. (She would never have assumed that showy bouquet was hers if she had a white secretary, and who did she think it was from when the idea of Ted sending it made her so pissed off? A secret admirer?) Every time I start to feel a bit sorry she does something to remind me why I've never liked that character.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:20 am 
Chard Martyr

I loved Pete! Everything he said about having nowhere to move and no one appreciating his efforts in California reminded me of my job. It was an interesting episode. So different from last week's. I wasn't super into the scenes with Sally actually. I want to see Betty back! We spent WAY too much time with Peggy and the flowers.

Don's storyline is vapid right now--they need him to start working somewhere or doing something (such as interacting with Betty!) to make the whole show more cohesive.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 2:24 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

smoothie wrote:
Roger's daughter has found herself through a weird cult and she's going to scam him for money, which is going to make him drop the whole LSD-orgy-thing and become an evil capitalist/playboy again.

I TOLD YOU SO. Well, I was part right.
Can we just talk a little about how absolutely intense last night's episode was? Of course, Roger being confronted with what an awful parent he has been was interesting. Him leaving soaked in mud from a situation he couldn't control was very symbolic of what is happening at the office as well - they don't take him seriously at all, he has to manipulate Don back into the game.
I think it's pretty hilarious that the partners let Don come back and then basically let him sit in his office for three weeks before they let him out, and of course it's under the eyes of Peggy (who is definitely not a graceful person and she is handling her "authority" so so badly).
Of course he was going to fall back into the bottle of Smirnoff. Bert Cooper was pretty head on with the whole confrontation. As sorry as I feel for Don, he's been a pretty massive crasshole with a narcissistic power trip throughout most of the show, so it's definitely timely that he gets a kick in the head and that no one needs him. Megan is doing her thing in Cali, the kids have their own life and the firm is doing just fine without him.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 559 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23  Next