| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1080 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 44  Next
 Post subject: Annoying coworker situations
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:11 am 
WELFARIST!

I notice that some of us have had issues with coworkers, some serious and some merely annoying. How about a thread about them? Because I've got a doozy from work last night.

I've mentioned before that the HFS I work at is located inside a big drug store. The employees for each place are separate, but we still see each other walking around and in the break room even though there is minimal interaction while we're actually working. One of my coworkers is an older lady, we'll call her B, and she is pretty sassy. I mean, I thought she was just sassy, and I thought we'd bonded over our cats and that we were cool. It turns out…nope.

I wore leggings to work yesterday. My butt was covered, and this is the 4th or 5th time I've worn them there. There is another girl I work with that wears leggings (and her butt is definitely not always covered) almost every day. Of course, she wasn't wearing them yesterday, and it is seriously only the 2nd time I've ever seen her wear jeans. So I thought it was ok! Because it's never been a problem before! But B was apparently in a bad mood and decided to take it out on me. Fun. I heard her say something behind my back to an assistant manager (who also doesn't seem to like me much, but whatever). Great. Then I keep noticing that everyone I pass is giving me weird looks. Not 'your outfit is atrocious' looks, but more like 'oh shiitake, you're in trouble' looks. The other girl who wears leggings came up to me and asked if I had a long coat or something I could wear, because B was raising a stink and had said something to the store manager. She went on to say how stupid it was, because she wears leggings every day to work, but for some reason today was just the wrong day. So, like a middle schooler who has suddenly gotten her period, I tied my sweater around my waist. And I was embarrassed and pretty mad, because obviously everyone else I worked with knew about this. Then I'm in the back making copies, and another assistant manager, we'll call him S, asked if I had a minute, because the manager (V) wanted to speak to me. Awesome! I go into her office, S follows me in, they shut the damned door, and then V is like, 'So, have you read the dress code policy?' Which I had, and there's no mention of leggings or whatever, and she told me I could wear jeans or slacks. I apologized, saying that I thought it was ok because I'd worn them before and had seen others wear them, but that it wouldn't happen again. UGH SO EMBARRASSING! And they talked to that other girl and told her she couldn't wear them anymore either, so I feel like I totally ruined it for everyone.

Twice afterward, S came over and apologized to me profusely, saying that B complains about everything and everyone, that she tried to get him fired a bunch of times when he started working there, that I shouldn't take it personally, that it was ridiculous and he tried to not have V talk to me, and to please not quit! And as I was leaving, I stopped by the other girl's section of the store to apologize to her since she couldn't wear them anymore. She said, 'B is just a croissant with nothing better to do than complain, I've worn leggings to work almost every day for 2 years now. Guess I'll have to go buy some jeans, because I seriously don't own more than one pair.'

Such fun. I went to Target and bought 4 pairs of jeans that are just as tight as those damned leggings. I bought boots and I'm going to wear them, damnit. We'll see what happens.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

Post subject: Re: Annoying coworker situations
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:22 pm 
WELFARIST!

Oh, man, I had several annoying coworker situations over the years. It was usually over stupid and petty things, too, like you describe. The hardest part of every interaction-type job I've ever had is negotiating dumbpants grievances with co-workers. So much majoring in minor issues. I don't get easily bothered, don't complain much, etc., myself but when I went out into the working world, I discovered that lots of folks seem to let pettiest stuff bother them.

I remember once I had to share a reference book with a coworker (essential for our job to look up stuff) and the girl I shared with complained that our book was falling apart because I used it too much. Yes, we have a job that relies entirely on accuracy and I'm being so meticulous that I'm ruining the reference books with overuse and in the process, downgrading the posh atmosphere of her cubicle because she has to keep a shabby-looking book on it. Seriously, that was her complaint.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:38 pm 
WELFARIST!

She sounds like a gem!

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:54 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

Oh brother! I hope B gets a life. Flak over leggings?! I work for a major fashion retailer's website and leggings are a huge trend and you are gonna see lots and lots more of them. She better get used to it...she is gonna see a lot more butts around! You are right on trend girl! Hang on to those leggings. Don't throw them out. And I love that you got jeans that look like leggings!!! Haha! I like that a lot.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:18 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Someone I work with told me she once had a coworker report her to HR, because she was working from home a lot (by agreement with her manager.) I guess the coworker assumed she was skipping work or some such bullshiitake.

Coworker situations are the worst. I'm having one right now, indirectly, but can't even get into it.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:29 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I told my coworker to stop using the torque not to use it to loosen things, and then he went into a half hour argument as to why I'm wrong.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:34 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

There are some real winners out there. Although I'm on the older side of 50, I still like to wear leggings with long tunics; I don't see what the problem is with leggings as long as one's behind is covered in a professional setting.

I do have a pet peeve - people wearing flip flops to work in a professional setting. Not only does it look unprofessional, it can also be a safety hazard (toes can get mashed, etc.) Of course, if you work on a beach or in a casual setting, flip flops are fine.

I think the only thing that truly bothers me in a work setting is when people think, just because of my age, that I don't know how to use computers. I mean, I may be old, but I'm not a dinosaur yet!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:54 pm 
Semen Strong

I worked with a bunch of white lawyers who would talk to eachother in "Flavor Flav" accents and what they thought was "thug lingo." And they would talk to the only black people at our office - the guys from the mail room - in the same way.

They were horrible. Also, they refused to work with me (because I "didn't inspire confidence") but gave me terrible reviews until I was forced to leave.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:23 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I have millions of those stories! I could write a book at this stage.

My favourite yet was everyone I worked with refusing to talk to be because I had to take certified sick leave on doctors orders. It went on for 2 whole months. I was even called in on a disciplinary meeting by my immediate manager and a senior manager because of the complaints from the other 2 and was told it wasn't fair on them that I was off sick. As it was I had to beg my doctor to leave me back to work.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:08 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Well, most of my co-worker stories move more into the "awful" than "annoying" category, but here's one that just came up today:

We have a really shitty printer. It's now breaking down, on average, every 3 weeks. It broke down again today. We also have a shitty contract - they have an 8 (business) hour window to get an engineer out, which means that since I called late this morning, they don't have to have someone on site until tomorrow morning. And because this is an ongoing problem, pretty much everyone knows this.

So one of my co-workers came to my desk this afternoon specifically to talk to me about the printer. She has absolutely nothing to do with it apart from being a user. She asked if the engineer was coming out, to which I replied "eventually". Then she started talking about how we need to get rid of it, it's always breaking down, blah blah blah. Well, yes, I know, and we're in the process of replacing it*, and I've not only had this conversation at various times with nearly all 30 members of staff, but I'm pretty sure I've had this conversation with you. I know it's frustrating to not be able to print, but imagine being the person who has to listen to 30 people complain about not being able to print. And to cap it off, we actually do have a spare printer for just such an occasion, but the Finance manager has decided that she needs it to print payroll (because the new pay slips don't print in the main printer even when it works) and has essentially claimed it. She was supposed to print pay slips and let me know when she was done so I could let everyone else know they could use the printer. She did no such thing.

*It's not like we can just stop paying the contractor, chuck it out and get a new one. But they're super slow about dealing with the situation. We actually had to threaten legal action to get them to even confirm the action they would take.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:35 pm 
Impressive boner

We used to have a legend about there being an office attire policy. Turns out that the Ministry of Justice reverts to your individual office's policy, of which we have none, but still some colleagues will get a talking to if the senior manager sees them wearing jeans. Now we also have a 'clear desk policy', which is part of the MoJ policy with bits added in.

And our 'quality checking' team! Jeebus! They make more mistakes than we do and we end up wasting so much time challenging them.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:42 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

rachell37 wrote:
I know it's frustrating to not be able to print, but imagine being the person who has to listen to 30 people complain about not being able to print.

YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYUP.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:51 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

Yeah, at a job I used to have, one of the people on my team started a rumor that my boss and I were having an affair (we were both married at the time) and she also tried to get me fired/in trouble more times than I can count. I'm lucky that the people in charge could see though her BS, but it was by far the most dysfunctional and stressful group of people I've ever worked with (except for that boss, who is actually one of my best friends now).

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:12 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Seriously one of the reasons I left my previous job was that I could not handle the frequency and level of bisqueing about printers not working.

This thread made me realize I've been at my current workplace for nearly a year and have yet to grow to hate a single coworker. That's... Amazing.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:20 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I don't often have problems with my coworkers ,but that is because I'm really (too) good at tuning things out. I do my work and leave. I don't have many friends there but at least not much drama either.

That said - there is a guy catty-corner & 2 cubes away from my cube who is the LOUDEST GUM CHEWER EVER! Even with my super human ability to tune things out, this guy's gum cracking is enough to drive me to drink. It is like nails on a chalkboard.

I don't want to say anything because we don't have that kind of relationship and I don't want to make him an enemy. So I tried putting in earphones, but would you believe I could still hear it!! I don't understand how anyone can chew that loud.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:58 pm 
WELFARIST!

Different job - my new assistant at one of my teaching locations is very pushy and tries to tell me how to teach. She's in school for art ed, but has no experience. I have no education degree (BFA and MA in photography), but have 2 years of teaching experience with this program. I get that maybe she's just trying to help, but…I don't think I need it (at least given the two times she's seen me teach)? Also, I've worked with her exactly twice. Maybe wait until we've gotten to know each other better before you start trying to tell me how to do my job? It's not that I think I'm above improvement, and I learn a lot from the art ed people that I work with. But my boss thinks I'm doing an awesome job, and I feel pretty confident about my ability after my time put in. And today, every time I looked at her and smiled, she dead-faced me. What the hell? Way to make a good impression, dumbpants.

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:59 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

Nepotism. The worst peeve in the whole entire working world.

I had someone pull the "do you know who my dad is?" shiitake the other day. I refused to budge but she went over my head and got her way. forking people. you gotta be careful around here. All the worst people are related to other people high up in the company.

yes I am being vague...this is still a public forum. gotta be careful. Big daddy might be watching.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:03 pm 
WELFARIST!

Dude. Seriously. This is a past situation, but my boss's daughter used to work with me and she didn't drive. I was required to pick her up and take her back home anytime we worked together (2-3 times a week). She lived across town from me, and we teach at the busiest traffic time of the day. I did not get mileage, none of my complaining to higher ups (as much as I could do without losing my contract based job) got me anywhere, and she NEVER offered to throw me some gas money. THE WORST. I celebrated on her last day.

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:06 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

rachell37 wrote:

So one of my co-workers came to my desk this afternoon specifically to talk to me about the printer. She has absolutely nothing to do with it apart from being a user. She asked if the engineer was coming out, to which I replied "eventually". Then she started talking about how we need to get rid of it, it's always breaking down, blah blah blah. Well, yes, I know, and we're in the process of replacing it*, and I've not only had this conversation at various times with nearly all 30 members of staff, but I'm pretty sure I've had this conversation with you. I know it's frustrating to not be able to print, but imagine being the person who has to listen to 30 people complain about not being able to print.

I was going to say something about writing a memo and posting it on your desk so when people came by to complain you could just point to it, but obviously without a printer that's a really useless, unhelpful suggestion....

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:17 am 
Sick of Cupcakes

I once had a coworker throw a shoe at my head. I had a lot of nightmare coworkers at that particular job, but that one was probably the worst.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:33 am 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

Chicki wrote:
Nepotism. The worst peeve in the whole entire working world.

I had someone pull the "do you know who my dad is?" shiitake the other day. I refused to budge but she went over my head and got her way. forking people. you gotta be careful around here. All the worst people are related to other people high up in the company.

yes I am being vague...this is still a public forum. gotta be careful. Big daddy might be watching.

Yes, this. A thousand times this.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:59 am 
Level 7 Vegan

My coworker, for whom I have to cover, is on her second day of sick leave. Because she got shots on Monday and her arm hurts. Am I allowed I be annoyed? Is the fact that the shots are for her month-long holiday in India an aggravating factor?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:36 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

That's probably worse than covering for someone who turns out to have had a hangover.

ETA - Someone just came over to ask me if the form that was in the annual leave folder was the form they should be using to request annual leave. Of course it forking is - why else would it be there?! Also, everyone was shown this form at induction and has had the procedure explained to them, and the person who asked has been here long enough to have used the form last year. FFS.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:47 am 
Thinks chickens are assholes

I'm freelance so don't have to work with the same people all the time. The worst was listening to a hairdresser & a magazine editor tell a 17yr old model how speed was good at keeping your weight down.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:34 am 
Tofu Pup Forever

I sometimes have to share an office with a sniffer.... he hasn't got a cold, it's not the occasional sniff, not once an hour, not even once every five minutes..... it's 3 or 4 times on the trot every other second, it is like breathing to him, people outside my office can hear it, it's like a dripping tap, it's been driving me insane for over a year, I've taken to listening to my mp3 constantly when he's in my room to block it out, I've tried earplugs but they don't block it out he's so loud..... the bloke I had before him used to do smelly farts a lot, I'd rather have him back!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1080 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 44  Next