| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:56 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Restaurants and vegan booze
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 10:28 am 
So Totally Yiffy

Hi. I'm starting this thread because I keep finding that when I go to vegan restaurants (which is pretty often, since I live in NYC), one or more of the following alcohol-related things is happening:
1) the liquor (by which I mean wine and beer and hard stuff) is not identified as vegan; and/or
2) the wait staff doesn't know whether or not it's vegan; and/or
3) when they are asked to find out they come back and report that it isn't vegan or they can't verify that it is vegan; and/or
4) Barnivore doesn't have some or any of the liquors the restaurant serves on their list;
5) Barnivore has the liquors on the list and they are not vegan

This needs to change!! I am spending the first 20 minutes of every meal cruising through Barnivore on my cell phone, only to find nothing, and then the wait staff can' tell me anything! This is not true of all vegan restaurants I've been to (shout out to Blossom for carrying all vegan wines), but it is true of a lot of them I've been to. So here's what I'd like to see happen:
1) Barnivore, update more frequently. And carry the big names on your list! How can Baron Herzog not be on there???
2) Vegan restaurants, carry vegan wine/beer/liquor and identify it as such
3) Vegan restaurants, if you can't carry that stuff, identify accordingly
4) Vegan restaurants, train your staff to know what isinglass is, and why lots of liquor is not vegan. We've gotten a lot of blank stares from wait staff when they are asked whether the wine is vegan.

OK, rant over, feedback welcome!

Post subject: Re: Restaurants and vegan booze
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 10:39 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I would never even think to ask at a vegan restaurant if the alcohol is vegan. what nyc vegan restaurants serve non vegan alcohol?

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 10:48 am 
So Totally Yiffy

I am kind of reluctant to out any restaurants, because they may have changed their policies since I've visited. So my suggestion is when you visit a restaurant to just ask, if the menu doesn't specify that the wine or beer or liquor is vegan (almost none of them do). I would never ask with food at a restaurant that identifies itself as all vegan, of course, but when I started learning that a lot of wine isn't vegan, I started asking, and my above post is the result. Maybe we could compile a list of the places that DO serve vegan booze. By the way, Blossom on Amsterdam assured me that everything on your their wine/beer list is vegan.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 10:56 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Unless a restaurant specifies its bar as vegan, I typically assume that like you said, I have to turn on the vegan radar. I know that Portobello in Portland classifies its bar as vegan.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 11:24 am 
So Totally Yiffy

I've been to Portobello and yeah, when I asked, the wait person informed me that the bar is vegan. That was a pleasant surprise, since I've gotten a number of "um, I don't think so," or "I don't know" or "no, we can't promise that the wine is vegan" responses from vegan restaurants in NYC.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 11:15 am 
Level 7 Vegan

emanningbx wrote:
I am kind of reluctant to out any restaurants, because they may have changed their policies since I've visited. So my suggestion is when you visit a restaurant to just ask, if the menu doesn't specify that the wine or beer or liquor is vegan (almost none of them do). I would never ask with food at a restaurant that identifies itself as all vegan, of course, but when I started learning that a lot of wine isn't vegan, I started asking, and my above post is the result. Maybe we could compile a list of the places that DO serve vegan booze. By the way, Blossom on Amsterdam assured me that everything on your their wine/beer list is vegan.

Blossom on Carmine said the same thing.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 11:43 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Wow, I guess I assumed an all vegan restaurant would have all vegan drinks too. That seems really hypocritical, if you're going through the trouble of having vegan food why would you buy non-vegan drinks? Weird. Well I guess I better start asking.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 11:22 am 
So Totally Yiffy

Grrr. i'm going to a vegan restaurant tonight on Manhattan's east side. Decided to look at the wine list online ahead of time. The first thing I checked was the chardonnay. Nothing on the menu to indicate that it is or isn't vegan so I looked it up in Barnivore: it's NOT vegan. :(

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 5:53 pm 
Inflexitarian

In Norfolk, Virginia; Path says all their alcohol is vegan, not just the food. (Not that it's much help to you, sorry, just was saying the only one I've been told of around me)

Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/GeekKnowledge

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:43 am 
So Totally Yiffy

Thanks for that info, @shanti. Next time I'm in the Norfolk area, I'll be sure to check out Path!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:38 am 
So Totally Yiffy

An FYI that all the booze at Sacred Chow in NYC IS vegan. Yay, Sacred Chow. If you've never been there, it's on Sullivan Street between W 3rd and Bleeker, in the Village. It's mostly tapas, plus some sandwiches and salad. It's small and has a super friendly, nice vibe.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:22 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

There was a vegan restaurant in the Bay Area serving non-vegan beer for awhile. They stopped right when they found out though. Sometimes people just don't realize.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:09 am 
So Totally Yiffy

@Nebraskalaska: that's a good point and food for thought about how to broach the issue when it arises.
No point coming out swinging--assume the error is unintentional and use the opportunity to educate!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:16 pm 
Tofu Pup

What makes liquor vegan or not? This discussion has me confused.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:21 pm 
Tofu Pup

wojo wrote:
What makes liquor vegan or not? This discussion has me confused.

this.

what could be in wine that is an animal product?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:32 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

Many wines (but definitely not all) are filtered and clarified (i.e. made to look clearer) using isinglass, which is comes from the bladder of fish. Many other animal products are also used in the filtration process.

There is a lot more info on this here:
http://www.peta.org/about/faq/Is-wine-vegan.aspx

There are a lot of vegan wines available, but many wines are not. Beer, especially American beer, is more commonly vegan, but as with wine, many beers are not vegan.

If a restaurant or store is not identifying a wine or beer as vegan, the only way to know for sure is to check with the winemaker or a site like Barnivore. Here's the link to that site: http://www.barnivore.com

Hope that helps.
Liz

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:33 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

emanningbx wrote:
1) Barnivore, update more frequently. And carry the big names on your list! How can Baron Herzog not be on there???

be the change you want to be in this world. :-)
(barnivore relies on the public to contact companies and then they'll update. easy peasy.)
also, who is to say people haven't been contacting baron herzog? what if they're just not responding. it could be one of many reasons. don't blame barnivore.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:34 pm 
Tofu Pup

i just went to barnivore and searched for a variety of wines I personally drink, and it didnt have even one listed. All I am saying is their list is far from complete.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:43 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

contact the companies then. help make barnivore a better service. (that's what crowdsourcing is all about)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:43 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

@supercarrot: I agree, it's up to me to make things change. Sorry for that cranky post, that must have been a day when I really needed some wine :)

Barnivore's list is incomplete but they are a smalll operation and rely on their users for reports.

While frustrating, my approach to the lack of information available at restaurant and stores is, if the wine I have in front of me is not on Barnivore and I can't find out whether or not it's vegan from another source, I don't drink it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:31 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

supercarrot wrote:
emanningbx wrote:

be the change you want to be in this world. :-)
(barnivore relies on the public to contact companies and then they'll update. easy peasy.)
also, who is to say people haven't been contacting baron herzog? what if they're just not responding. it could be one of many reasons. don't blame barnivore.

http://www.barnivore.com/search?utf8=%E ... it=Search#

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:38 am 
Smuggling Raisins

It's also difficult to find things on Barnivore sometimes because they're sorted by the company names that might not be on the bottle. Maybe that can also be handled by emailing Barnivore to ask that more identifying information be labeled on wines that may be listed under a name different than the one on the bottle.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:12 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I think it is odd that vegan restaurants might not actually carry a vegan selection. For the record, here in the Denver/Boulder region, I have found that Native Foods appears to carry a completely vegan alcohol selection, and that in City O'City and Watercourse Foods, which are vegetarian instead of vegan restaurants, the servers I have encountered are knowledgeable about the booze they serve.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:16 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

I wouldn't think to check in a veg restaurant. I'm not like massively vigilant about vegan booze I must admit. If I know something isn't vegan I won't drink it but if I don't know I mostly just risk it. Do I lose vegan points?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:27 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I've personally researched several kinds of booze and have had things posted on Barnivore, give me a wee sense of pride!