| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:44 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 866 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30 ... 35  Next
 Post subject: Re: Garden Chat
PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:40 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

i asked the roofer this morning if i needed to wrap my baby trees up, and he said it wouldn't be a problem. i just went out and saw that one of the main limbs has been snapped, and a lot of the other branches have been badly rubbed. so sad. once i prune those out, it'll look like charlie brown's christmas tree. i should have known. really. i should have just wrapped them up in the first place. blind trust. i has it.
poor little starking delicious plum is gonna be totally lopsided. :-(

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:09 am 
Seagull of the PPK

that is so sad!

our weather keeps fluctuating between hot/dry and cool/rainy and my hot peppers don't seem to want to flower or set fruit. i guess i was about a month too late planting them. i hope they decide at the last minute to make fruit anyway. the bell peppers love this weather. go figure.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:45 am 
Level 7 Vegan

It's been 3 weeks and none of my peppers or tomatoes have sprouted :( They are in a city greenhouse, with plenty of sun, no freezing temperatures but still cooler at night than the rest of the apartment. Could it be too cold for them? Can I get them to start if I move them indoors? Should I throw everything out and start again?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:49 am 

they like at least 75 degrees. i would definitely move them inside. on top of the refrigerator if you have the space. (oh, and they probably aren't destroyed. they're probably still in hibernation. acting as if they're outside in the ground.) they don't need greenhouse space until there's actually a sprout.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:15 am 
Level 7 Vegan

Ok, will try! Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:01 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Can you buy a seed sprouting heating pad? My peppers took over 2 weeks to sprout even *with* the pad. I was pretty surprised!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:24 am 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

I ordered some Eremurus bulbs! I"M SO EXCITEEEE

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:25 am 

Oh, also, bigger news: I got a garden plot again! whewt!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:20 pm 

So, just got back from work at the plot. About five hours of digging up and turning the soil for the flower bed I wanted to get started on. I really wanted it done right away as I felt it was getting a bit late for the seeds I had in mind. So, ouch! Turning and amending that packed in soil was harder than I thought! But, I feel good, I got a bed now with sunflowers, cosmos, and zinnias. I hope they all come up! I've never planted those flowers before. I'm going to plant my eremurus bulbs in the same section as the sunflowers, mix them together, as I think this sunflower variety will only be about 5-6 feet, and the eremurus should be 6-7... I think it'll be pretty mixed up together. I'm kind of into crowding plants a bit more than recommended, for some reason I've just always had better success that way, and it looks more wild I think. So when planting the seeds, I also kinda mixed/scattered them a bit at the borders where one thing met another, so it might kind of blend into the next flower. We'll see. I also planted peas that I had from a start. Woot.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:53 am 
Seagull of the PPK

YAY! turning earth is so hard but so rewarding.

i am now bisqueing about the weather. my habañeros and jolokiyas have both had flowers now for two weeks but the rain keeps knocking them off (we're at the point in fall where it is beautiful in the day and rains hard at night, every night). it is not going to get any hotter, weather people, so let the *%¨#@ fruit set already before it gets to be winter!! I NEED THESE PEPPERS!
(my brussels sprouts, on the other hand, are cute little poopies and i have high hopes for them.)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:06 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

Mars wrote:
.... I'm going to plant my eremurus bulbs in the same section as the sunflowers, mix them together, as I think this sunflower variety will only be about 5-6 feet, and the eremurus should be 6-7...

Mars, a mild cautionary note: all parts of sunflowers are allelopathic, meaning they secrete chemicals that inhibit seed germination and growth of other plants within close proximity. I tend to mix stuff up a lot too, and I can definitely see an impact on everything near my sunflowers. One year I planted some among winter squash vines, which did grow but were severely stunted.

The eremurus should die back before the sunflowers get too advanced, and I think they prefer the soil to bake dry during that time too?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:45 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Mars, sounds like a great garden!!

I've got most of my summer garden planted. The dang birds are crushing or eating my seedlings though and the intense sun this week has killed a few of my baby plants. It hurts to see my plant children injured!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:54 am 
Level 7 Vegan

Thanks for the advice on my seedlings the other day. You were right, it was probably too chilly for them. All of my tomatoes are now properly started, and one of the peppers is allllmost there.

Other question! Bumblebees keep flying into my greenhouse to die there. Can I stop them from doing that, especially the dying part? Am I doing something to attract them?
We're in the center of a big city. For info, this is what the room looks like:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:17 am 

there's probably a hole on the outside that looks like a nesting spot. fill that in and they should stop trying to get in.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:12 am 
Seagull of the PPK

ooh your cacti are gorgeous. we have so many of those around here! love the space!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:35 am 
Inflexitarian

I ordered a bunch of seeds the other day, and they already came! Although seeing as how it can barely break freezing here right now and won't quit snowing, I'm feeling skeptical about planting tomato and basil seeds and the like, even though our last expected frost date is in early May...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:38 am 
Inflexitarian

Oh yeah, also our friends who just moved a half a block away this winter, and their cool upstairs neighbors who we want to be friends with, have a really shady yard but want to do some gardening. We have a really huge awesome yard with quite a few sunny spots, so they're going to come over for brunch on Sunday and we're going to talk about having a shared garden! This is awesome because 1. Friends, and 2. Last summer the garden went too crazy for my partner and I to keep up with, either in terms of maintenance or eating and preserving, so it would be great to have some help with both.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:04 pm 
Inflexitarian

We spent several hours after breakfast today picking the garbage that collects under the snow and the gravel rocks that got shoveled onto the beds with the snow out of the yard/beds, then pulling all the invasive morning glory pods off the fence, turning the compost, and planting a couple rows of peas and early spring greens. Yay spring!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:49 am 
Seagull of the PPK

i have now walled in almost all of my beds. i have invasive grass in the yard that makes my life difficult. So i found a place where someone had dumped a bunch of old flat roofing tiles, and every day i bring another load home. the tiles go down about 4 or 5 inches and stop the grass from getting into the beds (the grass stays on the paths between beds). It also is helping with erosion, since my lot is really slopey and its more terraces than beds. i will take some photos.
the really good thing about enclosing the beds, though, is that while i was gone Mr T put a deck on the back and surrounded the steps with gravel (we have red clay and it sticks to your shoes and makes a wicked mess, so this is the easiest way to keep cleanup easy). Of course my garden went to seed while i was gone and so there is large gravel in all the beds. Now that they're enclosed and no more stones can get washed/kicked/etc in, i can start sieving the dirt to take out the stones and make the dirt better. my dirt, in some of the beds, is really just clay and requires a lot of intervention.

of course, in putting in the tiles, I managed to kill several dill plants (the only ones i had), a few small portuguese kale, and countless shisos. whoops.

and it is time to start harvesting nappa cabbage! I have about 6 that are almost ready to go.

and of course i just started new seeds- chard (which keeps just not working for me), spinach, dino kale, more brussels sprouts. i seem to have a small leafy green problem.... looks like a slow work week this week, so i will be out in the garden! whoopeee!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:22 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I finally put the tomatoes in the ground yesterday and I'm worried that it's already too late. This time last year I already had tomatoes and we've had our first 90 degree. Gardening is hard when you're a total slacker! Godspeed tomato plants!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:32 am 
Seagull of the PPK

this may be particular to my area, and not affect your area at all, but i find when i am all gung ho and put my tomatoes in super early, they get decimated by the tomato sucker bugs. this year i didn't get them in til almost halfway through the season, and they are more than waist high and looking FAB. i don't think I will ever put in tomatoes early again.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:36 pm 
Saggy Butt

yay... just planted all my seeds that i'm starting inside! i have a few varieties of tomato (indigo rose, persimmon, yellow brandywine and black krim), peppers (regular, purple and ring of fire), artichokes (really excited), tomatillos and ground cherries (this is the third year i'm trying them, they never seem to ripen totally, even though they fall off - may be a sun issue?).

has anyone had luck starting seeds + transplanting that are usually recommended to direct sow outside? we have a pretty active community of squirrels/raccoons that chomp up 100% of the sprouts, so i'm thinking at this point even if the plants get a bit stunted, that's better than no plant at all.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:35 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

postnothing wrote:
yay... just planted all my seeds that i'm starting inside! i have a few varieties of tomato (indigo rose, persimmon, yellow brandywine and black krim), peppers (regular, purple and ring of fire), artichokes (really excited), tomatillos and ground cherries (this is the third year i'm trying them, they never seem to ripen totally, even though they fall off - may be a sun issue?).

has anyone had luck starting seeds + transplanting that are usually recommended to direct sow outside? we have a pretty active community of squirrels/raccoons that chomp up 100% of the sprouts, so i'm thinking at this point even if the plants get a bit stunted, that's better than no plant at all.

Yeah I have done beans, carrots, and lettuces that way because the birds destroy everything. It slows their growth as they reestablish roots (I think that's what's happening) but otherwise it seems ok.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:52 pm 

oh what have i gotten myself into. i think i just decided to start a seed library for my neighborhood. i hope enough people decide to participate.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:09 am 
Seagull of the PPK

i was supposed to set up a seed exchange with 4 other people, and not one has responded to my emails! so i am saying "too bad" and not taking the damn thing on myself. i take off my hat to you supercarrot, i don't have the gumption to do it.

so i wonder if anyone knows about adding sand to dirt? neighborhood lore is that fifty years ago this area was a sand quarry, and when they took out the sand they left the layers of red clay (which is all we have now). I have a big pile of sand from a construction project in the corner of the yard- think i can just dump it in the extra clay-ey beds and mix it around? (some beds are more clay than others depending on what i did with them over the last two years- some got sawdust and some got good compost, others were just growing collards so i didn't bother. these ones i need to fix up this year).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 866 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30 ... 35  Next