| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1169 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40 ... 47  Next
 Post subject: Re: Weight/powerlifting
PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:52 pm 
Nailed to the V

lillianp wrote:
My shoulder is getting better! I did some light (15 pound dumbbells) incline bench presses and bent over rows. I also finally got around to doing some of the exercises my doctor gave me to do and they help.

Hey, can you share what the exercises are? My shoulder is still too painful to do much with but it is moving in the right direction so I can at least get ready. Did he tell you to wait until you are pain free or do them regardless, and then follow with ice?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:06 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Jonny Guitar wrote:
lillianp wrote:
My shoulder is getting better! I did some light (15 pound dumbbells) incline bench presses and bent over rows. I also finally got around to doing some of the exercises my doctor gave me to do and they help.

Hey, can you share what the exercises are? My shoulder is still too painful to do much with but it is moving in the right direction so I can at least get ready. Did he tell you to wait until you are pain free or do them regardless, and then follow with ice?

merp. I totally was NOT clear there. Doctor basically said rest the shoulder/do shoulder rolls/vague mobility things (Ie keep moving it but without weight, ice it, etc).

The exercises are for my lower back. Which I still haven't done today. I did walk 8 miles though! I'm thinking another week and I might be able to jog slowly. And part of that 8 miles was a discovery of a beautiful trail that I can do if I want to do trail runs in a couple months once it's not iced over.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:58 pm 
Nailed to the V

^ Thanks for clarifying.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:08 am 
Saggy Butt

i haven't checked in for a while - took a few weeks off after hurting my foot, and then eased back into it, focusing on things that don't require foot flexing.

i'm having trouble fitting lifting in with roller derby, which makes me sad. like, last practice i was distracted and took a weird fall where instead of absorbing the shock by sliding, i just landed really awkwardly with all my weight on my right arm, and i felt the jolt up to my shoulder. i don't mind lifting if i just have soreness from regular use, but my instincts tell me lifting after something like that isn't really a good thing. i'm all tensored up and hoping it's back to normal by wednesday, so i can at least fit in one lifting session this week before i have practice again. i think this will happen less when the weather is better and i can practice outside to get those safe falling reflexes hammered in.

i tried the suitcase deadlifts mentioned upthread and really liked them! i started with an empty bar and went up to about 50lbs or so. also made a little gain on my deadlift to 140lbs, which leaves me with only 10 more lbs of unused 2.5 pound plates. so i either need to think about joining a gym (squat racks!) or buying more plates. i've been having trouble making any gains on my overhand press and pullovers - they're the only lifts where i feel like i don't progress/get stronger. my plate combo lets me go up in increments of 5 lbs, and my right side can handle it, but my left side is like, 'nope.'

i am hoping all those with injuries are feeling better. injuries suck, why can't we all be invincible!?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:58 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

Postnothing, if you want to keep lifting at home, I highly recommend picking up a set of fractional plates so you can make smaller jumps on your upper body lifts. I got a set a few months ago and I'm pretty sure it's the only reason I've been able to keep progressing on bench and OHP. After a certain point, a 5 lb jump is a LOT on an upper body lift, especially for women. There are DIY solutions too (large washers, chain, etc) but I like the uniformity and neatness of the little plates.

I just finished my first deload week on 5/3/1 on Sunday, so this week I start cycle 2. I'm enjoying it so far, although I'm still having a bisque of a time working out my accessory stuff. This cycle will have me getting close to or slightly above my previous "working weight," which is nice. I've been doing a lot of mobility stuff on my off days, but it's too soon to tell how much of an effect it's having. Hopefully it'll start showing up in my squat eventually.

"I'm now officially wafflesexual." - booberthefraggle

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:17 pm 
Saggy Butt

i was thinking some sort of DIY might do it, but am afraid of things falling on my head too... i am trying to think of things i may already have in the house. my thought process went from being stuck on the incredibly impractical idea of making plates out of ice (this 'polar vortex' weather is really getting to me, ha) to bags of screws secured with zipties (no washers/chain handy), and then I remembered i have the sandbags from my adjustable ankle weights in 1lb increments. i should be able to rig something with those. and if not, i'll try tracking down fractional plates. i bet once i have them i'll probably find them coming in handy on other lifts too.

just to have a ballpark idea - how big/often are your jumps for bench/OHP?

i'm stuck at 20lbs in each hand for OHP and moving up in weight is going to be sloooow from here on out because of how weak i am on my left side - just trying to get 25lbs up to the starting position of an OHP feels impossible.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:13 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Looking back over my training logs from before I started 5/3/1, I was adding anywhere from .5 lb to 2.5 lbs to bench and OHP each time I did them, which was 1-2x per week since I was doing a modified Strong Lifts program. From January 1st to mid-February, when I switched programs, my weight progression went like this:

Bench: 73/75.5/78/80.5/81 (fail)/81/83 (fail)/84
OHP: 53/55/57/59/61.5/63 (fail)/63/65

Before I got fractionals I'd been stuck around those starting weights for quite a while because I couldn't make bigger jumps and still complete all my reps. You could definitely use those 1 lb ankle weights, especially if they're the kind you can wrap around the bar.

OHP is super hard to progress! I think it's actually harder with dumbbells since you can't use your stronger side to compensate for your weaker one.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:57 am 

I did some more light weight arm things-incline dumbbell bench press, cable row, this cable press down thingy. Not for super heavy weights but maintaining perfect form! My back is slowly slowly getting better so I'm hoping in 3 weeks I can use my personal training sessions and work on form with the big compound movements.

Amandabear, how's your shoulder/arm? How's everyone doing? It's so quiet in here!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:11 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I'm glad your back is feeling better, lillianp - I image it felt good to just get back in there!

I'm plugging away - I just completed the first 4 weeks of Simply Shredded so phase 2 awaits next week. Its the same exact program but you go heavier and decrease reps from 8-12 to 6-8. The next few weeks are also going to be hell with work so my lifting schedule will be erratic. (Well, who am I kidding, I don't see an end in sight to the hell part, but I do have to travel a bit over the next couple of weeks.) Cut is still going slow and steady. Nothing too exciting to report except despite my cut, my assisted pullups seem to be getting easier and I think I'm ready to dial down the assistance on my band. I'm never letting go of my pullup dream, lol.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:24 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

I'm glad your back is starting to feel better!

It is really quiet! My shoulder is okay. It comes and goes, mostly in the "goes" phase currently. I think it has to be something related to sitting at my desk/using the computer at work rather than something I just injured because it's always worse after work. I'll mention it next time I'm able to go to a doctor, but for the moment I'm not too worried about it. Lifting-wise I'm doing okay, just plugging along. 5/3/1 doesn't have me lifting any PR weights just yet (just rep PRs so far) so not much to report there. Soon! Lots of mobility. Squats are slowwwwwwly improving, I think.

Emmalv - You are well on your way to realizing the pull up dream! I tried to do one on a jungle gym thing we passed today and yeah... not happening. I really wish I had a suitable doorway to put a bar in so I could work on them.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:30 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I added 3 lbs to my bench thanks to the fractional weights. I can now rock out 8 reps at 85. I'm such a beast :)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:05 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Yeah you are!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:11 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I noticed I'm getting bruises on my kneecaps from deadlifting which leads me to believe that I am bending my knees before the bar passes them on the way down. I'll try to pay attention to this next time but I always forget.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:17 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Quarantined wrote:
I noticed I'm getting bruises on my kneecaps from deadlifting which leads me to believe that I am bending my knees before the bar passes them on the way down. I'll try to pay attention to this next time but I always forget.

I get those sometimes too, when I'm not careful. I have to try to be conscious of breaking at the hips first on the way down or I'll basically just slam it into my knees.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:20 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Omigod, my legs are a bruised mess too, but that's more just because I'm a klutz and keep slamming the 45 lb plates into them, ha.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:26 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I think I bruise in general pretty easily, but I also noticed lately I have bruises on the back of my thighs which I can only figure are coming from foam rolling? Anyone else experienced this? I was looking it up and some people say it can happen if you're rolling with too much pressure. I like the way I foam roll though, it feels good! Maybe just have to live with the bruising. I don't mind too much but summer is coming up and it can be a bit embarrassing.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:47 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

Yikes! I can't imagine. You'd have to be rolling really hard! I've never bruised from foam rolling, or rolling with a tennis ball.

It's Friday, which means deadlifts and Hannibal, my most favorite night of the week. I'm crampy as all hell and in the throes of period back pain though so I'm secretly glad it's a 3/3/3+ week and the final set is only 205. I think I need to cut my accessory work for this day down because last week the note in my training log was "THIS MADE ME WANT TO DIE." Ha. For some reason romanian deadlifts gave me a weird forearm pump/destroyed my grip and made the rest of the workout pretty unpleasant.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:57 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Quarantined, yes I bruised before with the foam roller but the spots were super tight and I know I was going after them pretty good. Do you have one of the foam rollers with the raised spots or a flat one? I would think the flat one would be a little bit easier on the bruising front.

Amandabear, do you use a mixed grip? I find that makes such a difference for me.

Today I have a fullbody workout on the books, and I'm just not sure I'm motivated...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:01 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

I do for regular deadlifts, but not for romanian. I do those as an accessory so the weight is never very high (I think I used 83 lbs last time). On regular deads, if I don't switch to a mixed grip above like 140-150, my grip starts to fail.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:30 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

emmalv wrote:
Quarantined, yes I bruised before with the foam roller but the spots were super tight and I know I was going after them pretty good. Do you have one of the foam rollers with the raised spots or a flat one? I would think the flat one would be a little bit easier on the bruising front.

I always use a flat roller, a black one that is pretty hard. I also roll right on the hard floor to get more pressure. I will live with it though, I think rolling gives such great benefits it's worth it even if it bruises.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:55 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Hardcore, you are Quarantined, hard core.

Amandabear, I'm the same - I think I might get grip straps just because I feel like my deadlift won't progress due to my weak hands. I'm trying farmer's walks and just dangling from the pullup bar to strengthen them, but my asparagus shan't needlessly suffer in the meantime. And some days, I don't know, my grip is just weak. The other day I was doing Romanian DL's at 120 and felt like I was going to drop the bar, no idea why.
Oh, but stiff-legged DL's made me think of something for you to try if you want, either because its a bad grip day or because you want to mix it up - have you ever done one-legged DL's with a dumbbell? You use 1 heavy DB and hold it with both hands (hand on each end, arms dangled straight). One foot is in front and the other is positioned comfortably behind you, a little angled for stability, and then you go through the familiar DL motion. That totally gets the hamstrings good, and you don't need nearly the weight of a barbell.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:12 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

emmalv wrote:
Hardcore, you are Quarantined, hard core.

Hardcore is just how I (foam) roll, ahahahaha

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:21 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

YES, I do single leg deads on Wednesday and they are hellish! I have the worst balance and my core is weak so I'm basically wobbling all the place with just a light-ass 14 lb dumbbell. Terrible. I'm very slowly getting better at them though. I'm working on back squats again but I'm still front squatting heavier these days so I try to do some extra ham/glute stuff.

I am doing farmers walks as well which should help the grip in the long run. I've never had a problem with it during deads as long as I use a mixed grip though thankfully. And I've done RDLs before without having that problem so I don't know if I was just holding the bar too tight or what. It was weird.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:17 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

So I didn't lift for a week because I was traveling for work and I did legs yesterday. Holy shiitake, I can barely walk today. And I got my squats up to 115! I'm thinking I may have to start using a smith machine or something fairly soon though. With my 50 lb weight vest, to get to 115 I have to hoist 65 lbs up and over my head, and I feel like its starting to become too heavy to do safely if I get tired. I could go to 150 using dumbbells, but the stance isn't as comfortable because of where the DB "sit" during the motion. Such problems.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:47 pm 

Emmalv, that is a good problem to have. My back is slowly getting better but is still not 100% so I'm going to call my doctor for a referral to a physical therapist to try and get it fixed. So annoyed! I want to be lifting again! (Although a good sign is that i have been wanting to run recently, so my desire for exercise is coming back and riding to work doesn't exacerbate the pain anymore! (I had to take a week and a half off biking too)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1169 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40 ... 47  Next