| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2286 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88 ... 92  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Playground randomness thread
PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:34 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

she'll be 11 months this week and she's go tthe stranger danger thing rrrrreeeaaaalllll bad.

but she hadnt seen my in laws since december and hadnt been to their house since november so im thinking at this age she may not even remember.

the good news is we went to my parents house today because they dog sat one of the dogs while we were gone and she was really good with my dad. she sees my parents more often so it tells me that with enough exposure to these people she will calm the f down!

she even let him hold her up to practice standing and walking.

big steps here!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:02 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

I'm probably more stressed out about what to do for Ada's birthday than I should be. We would probably just have a super casual thing in the park with cupcakes and some bubbles or something. Kind of like a big play date? The kids keep themselves pretty entertained in the park without much. Originally I thought maybe just invite her whole class (ten kids) and the other two kids she plays with regularly and have it on her actual birthday (a weekday). So it would end up being a few parents, a few nannies, and some siblings. But that's already 20-30 people which seems like a lot. Also, she will be having a celebration in school the day before so does she really need to celebrate with the same kids twice? Also, I really don't want to invite every kid because there are a couple she hardly talks about but I think it would be weird to only invite six or seven of them? Other option is to just have a small play date with three kids or so.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:35 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

What does Ada think? I would totally go for the small playdate thing. We got together with just two other families on F's birthday (the boys who share the same birthdate), and it was wonderful. We went and played at this crazy jumping around place and then were back at our for food/play/visiting/presents.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:54 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Personally for me, the line would be, if you're thinking of inviting "everyone BUT x, y, z…" just invite everyone, but if it's more like "nobody EXCEPT a, b, c" that's OK.

As far as the rest goes, I personally find casual kind of a relief compared to these carefully pinterested themed things.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:23 pm 

Yeah, again I'm probably just overthinking it. I'm thinking I'll just send out an email to everyone (whole class and friends) saying we'll be in the park with cupcakes at so and so time on Ada's birthday and she would love to hang out with her friends or something like that. And say that they don't need to bring presents so at least we won't get a whole pile of stuff. Refinnej, Ada would be happy with a few friends or her whole class. In school she is super social and plays with everyone. Really I think she would be so excited to see all of her friends in one place but would also be fine and also super excited if she had three friends in one place.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:05 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

i had the same problem making the guest list for BP's first birthday. i made a list of everyone i thought would LIKE to come and has taken an interest in her and the pics i post (predominantly family) but then with my family since it's so big it gets into the "if you invite X you need to invite Y" but then it would be like 40 people. since it's only her 1st birthday that seemed insane to me.

i think i cut it down to 19 people whch includes me and my husband an 4 babies.

a day in the park with the friends she regularly plays with and some presents treats and bubbles sounds great for her age bracket.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:57 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

soo on this mega-fun Friday night Sierra is screaming in pain from the super-redness on her vulva from the blowouts she keeps having. When she pees I have never seen her in so much pain, and I basically have nothing in the house to help but coconut oil. I'm googling various home remedies and coming up with all kindsa stuff that I don't have: beeswax, tea tree oil, comfrey, calendula. I do have some oats which are supposed to be soothing but they are of the quick variety. Poor poor baby, and uh I'm gonna need a cocktail STAT

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:01 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Audrey that sounds awful! When Sven has horrible diaper rashes we do a baking soda bath and that seems to help.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:02 am 

Oh poor Sierra! Do you have any really super thick barrier cream? Freya has really sensitive skin there and if she's exposed to poo for any length of time, it gets all red and raw like that. That thick goopy "chalk" cream (zinc oxide, I think) has worked well for us...someone recommended it here a couple of months ago.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:32 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

poor little pumpkin!!! :-(

and poor you for having to deal with the screaming! i say go have that cocktail!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:53 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

whoops, double post

“I did not become a vegetarian for my health, I did it for the health of the chickens.”

I blog @ Mama To Feingold Kids

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:28 pm 

Babynut's school called me today at work which has never happened before. It is difficult for me to get calls at work, so it was handled as an emergency. In a panic I returned the call and got one of her teachers on the phone. She needed to be picked up because of a reaction on her face. My husband rushed to pick her up early. The problem? Dry skin on her face around her lips. What? She has red chapped skin around her lips like a lot kids this time of year. I was so annoyed. I spent the better part of two hours worried about her and a possible allergic reaction and my husband cut short a meeting with a client to rush over there. Dry skin? Urg. Now I'm wondering if their reaction was some kind of comment of my parenting*, which I know is moving into bizarro-land, but at the least it was just an extreme way to react to a small problem, right?

*what kind of mother sends her toddler with chapped lips and no balm? A monster, that's who.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:31 pm 
Semen Strong

That is insane!

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:25 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Butternut wrote:
what kind of mother sends her toddler with chapped lips and no balm? A monster, that's who.

I might have to sig this because it is the best.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:57 am 
Lubes With Earth Balance

uurgh D has this spot on her lip that she keeps biting/picking at, and it frequently looks bloody. Hahaha I suppose I'm lucky I haven't been reported to CPS. Sorry for all that panic though Bnut, jeeeez.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:52 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

Butternut wrote:
Babynut's school called me today at work which has never happened before. It is difficult for me to get calls at work, so it was handled as an emergency. In a panic I returned the call and got one of her teachers on the phone. She needed to be picked up because of a reaction on her face. My husband rushed to pick her up early. The problem? Dry skin on her face around her lips. What? She has red chapped skin around her lips like a lot kids this time of year. I was so annoyed. I spent the better part of two hours worried about her and a possible allergic reaction and my husband cut short a meeting with a client to rush over there. Dry skin? Urg. Now I'm wondering if their reaction was some kind of comment of my parenting*, which I know is moving into bizarro-land, but at the least it was just an extreme way to react to a small problem, right?

*what kind of mother sends her toddler with chapped lips and no balm? A monster, that's who.

go straight to jail. do not pass go. do not collect $200.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:41 am 

Omg. That is hilarious (but only because it didn't happen to me) :p

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:54 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Having a dilemma at the moment, we're travelling for a good friend's wedding in August, Westiebaby will be 19 months old at the time. Wedding is no babies. I've only left her twice ever, once for ~an hour and a half while I participated in wedding photos for my best friend's wedding, and once for ~2 hours before bedtime to attend another wedding, both times with my Mum, who she spends lots of time with and loves to bits.
I have spent nearly $1,000 between flights, accommodation and rental car for this wedding, I really can't not go, but I am beside myself at the idea of leaving Westiebaby with a stranger [there are recommended babysitters available]. I cried all the way to the wedding we went to in December when I knew she was safe and happy with my Mum!
I don't want to be a jerk and try and push my way into bringing her to the wedding, but I'm otherwise thinking I might have to skip the ceremony, put her to bed and leave her with a babysitter once she's asleep and join the reception party once I can...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:04 pm 

I just have to share that Scarlett has been wanting to take hour long baths lately where she plays with her bath toys. I am currently taking a bath while PPKing on my phone and drinking a beer with her amusing herself at the other end. It's pretty awesome.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:46 am 
Nooch of Earl

V has been doing the same thing, only she insists she needs "big water" AKA the tap on the entire time, and not just drips either (thus the 'big' - if I turn the flow down too low there is crying). It feels horribly wasteful but my husband usually indulges her, so now she's used to it and it's a giant crisis if I turn the water off. He actually opens up the drain to let her keep running the water without overflowing the tub. Rage!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:24 am 
And you never will.

In case there was any question in your minds today of whether or not I am a terrible mother, I present to you this story:

I was in the kitchen working on tomorrow's baking order, my husband was in the living room watching TV, and Peter was playing with toys. I hear Peter say: "Mummy, look at me." So I look, and he's rubbing his eyes (telling me to look at him then rubbing his eyes is his subtle way of telling me that he's tired). I realized that I'd lost track of time and it's a lot later than I thought it was, so I say: "Oh, are you sleepy? Just give me a minute to finish up what I'm doing and I'll put you to bed," at which point he breaks down sobbing. When I asked him why he was crying, he said: "I'm just so tired I really need to go to bed now! Mummy, please stop working so I can go to sleep!" Then my heart broke. The end.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:59 pm 

Oh, I hate the sob! We just had that today, before naptime. Me: "are you a little bit tired". F, sobbing "yeah". Just remember that kids are super resilient...far more than we. :)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:40 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

So today when we were all taking our vitamins, Inez tried to chew up my giant nasty Rainbow Light prenatal. I had handed it to her because she likes to put it in my mouth for me and then I was looking around for my water bottle and when I turned back it was gone. I asked her where it was and she opened her mouth to show me all this gross iron-smelling grit. And then started crying and retching and spitting it out all over the counter. Ugh. Rough way to learn that not all vitamins are fruity chewables.

And then for like half an hour after: "Why did I try to chew your vitamin? Whyyyyy?"

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:16 pm 
And you never will.

I think I just tricked my kid into taking a (very much needed) nap for the first time in over 6 months. The baby I keep is napping too (for now). It's kind of amazing.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:59 am 
Nooch of Earl

Woowoo nap!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2286 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88 ... 92  Next