| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3474 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118 ... 139  Next
 Post subject: Re: Running!
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:22 pm 
Married to the wolfman

amonik wrote:
That's great, coldandsleepy! Will you be changing your name to Dr Coldandspeedy or Coldandspeedy, Master of something?

I'll be Master Sleepy!

I wish you got a title for getting a Master's. I would definitely go by Master (Lastname). That would be awesome.

SimplyLove, that is a shiitake ton of races! What fun!

Can't remember if I mentioned it or not, but I finally did sign up for that half in May that I was waffling on. It's two days before I'm slated to defend but hey whatever.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:46 am 
Inflexitarian

I've started running again! (again again... again) I've been doing 5 km runs for the last couple of weeks. My pattern for the last year seems to consist of doing too much too fast and suddenly having IT band issues again, and I'd prefer to avoid repeating that again, so I'm just going to stick with short 5km runs for a while. There's a 5k event at the end of June so I'll just say I'm training for that.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:13 am 
Dead by dawn

Simply_Love wrote:
Either August or September- HM, still need to find one!

If you can stomach lululemon (and I certainly don't blame you if you can't!) SeaWheeze is a great race. Especially if you're into yoga at all, they put on a pretty good weekend. Lots of course support, several free yoga sessions (including sunset yoga in Stanley Park the evening of race day,) concert, good swag, etc... It's spendy because Vancouver, but if you have some people you can split a hotel room with you can offset that a bit. (You can also stick it to lululemon by buying limited edition SeaWheeze gear at the expo and selling it on ebay... I know a couple of people who funded most of their weekend that way... you wouldn't believe what people will pay for that shiitake!)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:14 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

Aww, SeaWheeze sounds so fun, but it's already sold out.

I had PT for the first time this morning. Ow. The good news is that my physical therapist thinks my issues are mostly muscular.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:00 pm 
Dead by dawn

Bummer. I don't think I registered until May or June last year.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:02 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

I shaved 20 secs off my mile. Not a huge deal for my slow pace, but enough to motivate me to get out there again today & see how much more I can improve.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:27 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

coldandsleepy wrote:
amonik wrote:
That's great, coldandsleepy! Will you be changing your name to Dr Coldandspeedy or Coldandspeedy, Master of something?

I'll be Master Sleepy!

I wish you got a title for getting a Master's. I would definitely go by Master (Lastname). That would be awesome.

SimplyLove, that is a shiitake ton of races! What fun!

Can't remember if I mentioned it or not, but I finally did sign up for that half in May that I was waffling on. It's two days before I'm slated to defend but hey whatever.

Well, you do get a title, but you only use it for academic papers... Over here we don't really use titles socially, that's one of the things that make America seem really different.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:12 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

You are so speedy, coldandsleepy! I did a 45 minute hilly trail run today and felt awesome. My newfound motivation is definitely making me get stronger.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:25 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

I was going to register for the Los Angeles Pride Run 5k thinking the men will motivate me to finish, but I have to go to a wedding in San Diego. Life is tragic. Maybe later in June. In the meantime, I've mapped out some 3-4 mile routes in my neighbourhood to mess with on the weekends. The traffic should be better at 6am on Saturdays.

Does anybody know anything about troubleshooting ankles? I did something to mine walking home last week and ever since for ~15 steps every 10 or so minutes while running it's been in agony on the front inside and then fine again. Can't tell if it's a result of inadvertently locking the joint or something? Not enough to stop running (the mental health benefits of running daily outweigh the pain), but deeply irritating.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:04 am 
Chip Strong

monkeytoes wrote:
If you can stomach lululemon....

Ha! I was actually considering apply for a job there (the employee discount would *almost* make their clothes affordable, and apparently you get free stuff sometimes? Plus, the uniform is "athletic wear" so I could literally wear yoga pants to work, win!), but then I read an article from an ex-employee that made them seem like a cult....

SeaWheeze does sound fun! Maybe next year if I plan ahead my mom and I could make a weekend of it together.

I think I might just do the Labor Day Half in Redmond. It's close and pretty cheap. Maybe I can rope my mom into doing it too.... She's been wanting to do a HM, and I got her to sign up for the three 10ks with me, so maybe I can talk her into this, too haha.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:10 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I ran/walked 6k today, four of them on a lovely trail. Today is the first really warm day this year. I wore shorts for the first time running (chafed a bit) and kind of wanted to take my shirt off but didn't have the guts.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:34 am 
Dead by dawn

Was anyone else watching the live stream from Boston? I just saw the last 12 minutes or so of the men's race. Meb's win was incredible... those camera angles made it so hard to know how close the second place runner was! Just wow, his foot turnover in the last 600 meters.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:10 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I watched the whole thing! (I had the day off). The entire race was just so exciting! Meb is one of my favourite elite runners. Rita Jeptoo's last push was incredible. She ran mile 23 in 4:47. MIND BOGGLING. I am in such awe of these athletes.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:33 pm 
Saggy Butt

I watched a clip of Meb at the finish and it was so sweet! I love him. Also watched an interview with Shalane and she was so upset. She ran an amazing race and pushed the finishers to record times but she really wanted to win and looked so disappointed.

eta: I watched the elites run in Vienna last year (including Haile Gebrselassie!) and it was truly incredible to see in person. They're amazing.

Way to go, coldandsleepy!
Good luck on all those races, Simplylove! The marathon you registered for isn't Florence, is it? Cause I'm thinking of running that and it's on Nov 30.

I started running again! My first run back was a half marathon that i took very slowly and paced a friend who was running the full. I don't recommend 13.1 miles after 5 weeks off though no matter how slow you go. My knees really ached the last few kms and the next day i felt totally beat up, like i'd run the full. I was so happy to be running though! Now i'm sloooowly easing back in with short, easy runs. Fingers crossed that my bones are healed!

Last edited by inceptisol on Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:34 pm 
Dead by dawn

One of my teammates PR'd at 2:52:54. He's one of those men who fills up a doorway. Slim, but still just so tall, so broad-shouldered that you wouldn't think he'd be so fast.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:42 pm 
Saggy Butt

That's a great time!

I was talking to a guy at the expo last week who told me about a friend who was running Boston. His friend had run last year and was stopped 2 kms from the finish when the bombs went off. So he was going back this year and when he finished he was planning to go back to where he was stopped last year and run those last 2kms to finish last year's race. And I got all choked up! It was really touching to think about for some reason.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:13 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I was so excited about meb though i didnt watch. Tracked a bunch of people from november project and they were smoking fast, a bunch of them under 3 hours

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:10 am 
Saggy Butt

ScooterDiva wrote:
I shaved 20 secs off my mile. Not a huge deal for my slow pace, but enough to motivate me to get out there again today & see how much more I can improve.

A pb is always a huge deal! Well done!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:15 am 
Saggy Butt

inceptisol wrote:
I started running again! My first run back was a half marathon that i took very slowly and paced a friend who was running the full. I don't recommend 13.1 miles after 5 weeks off though no matter how slow you go. My knees really ached the last few kms and the next day i felt totally beat up, like i'd run the full. I was so happy to be running though! Now i'm sloooowly easing back in with short, easy runs. Fingers crossed that my bones are healed!

Good to hear you are back running.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:00 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I'm jumping over to this thread because I guess I can call myself a runner now.

I'm feeling a little lost in my training. I graduated Couch to 5k and now I have about three and a half weeks before the 5k I signed up for. Right now I'm running a 5k three times a week, it's still not easy by any means, but I do it. So what should I be doing in the next few weeks? Work on increasing my distance? Stick to the 5k? Should I be doing some shorter, faster runs and some longer ones?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:46 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

Peanut: What do you enjoy doing and what would you like to achieve by running?

First step is that instead of running 3 times a week 5k... better try one day 4 another day 3 and the last day 8.

Second step really depends on your goals and what you enjoy. Do you want to run longer distances? do you want to improve your time? Do you just want to maintain your physical condition and health? Do you want to compete more? Do you just want to enjoy running?

Once you have that clear, I'm sure we can give you some helpful advice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:02 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

worldrunner79 wrote:
Second step really depends on your goals and what you enjoy. Do you want to run longer distances? do you want to improve your time? Do you just want to maintain your physical condition and health? Do you want to compete more? Do you just want to enjoy running?

Actually all of those things sound great, but ultimately I guess I want to run longer distances. Maybe run a half-marathon next year. Really, it's just the next few weeks before my 5k that seem the most daunting, at least without having a specific program to follow.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:38 am 
Saggy Butt

Hey Peanut,

Congratulations on completing the C25K!

I like to know I can run more than the distance I am racing. It helps me psychologically to know I can do more than I am asking of myself in the race. So for my 6 mile race I did a longest run of 7 miles.

It can be helpful to do some shorter faster runs and longer slower ones rather than just running 5k each time you go out. However I wouldn't worry too much about it. When I first got to 5k I stayed at that distance for quite a while until it felt easier & I was ready to run further.

Also I would not run for at least a day or two before your race to make sure your legs are fresh. Hope you enjoy it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:48 pm 
Married to the wolfman

Chickpea wrote:
I like to know I can run more than the distance I am racing. It helps me psychologically to know I can do more than I am asking of myself in the race. So for my 6 mile race I did a longest run of 7 miles.

Yeah, me too. I was running 10 mis in training before I ran my first 10k race, and then when I decided I'd do a HM eventually (next month, freaking finally), I pushed my long run up to 16 miles. I like knowing that I can physically drag my asparagus through the distance and still have some left in the tank; it makes me more confident in the idea that I'm going to have the energy to bust out the distance at race pace.

I'm here to whine about my bad tempo run this morning. My pace graph looks like a caterpillar... rather than hitting a steady pace, my mind kept drifting, so I'd slow down, then be like OH shiitake PACE PACE and start running fast, over and over. So I hit my splits but never actually got into a steady tempo. Tempo is like my zen workout, it usually makes me feel so clear and focused and sets the tone for my whole today... and I just could not get into that spot today. Frustrating.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:13 pm 
Saggy Butt

C&S, I struggled with my pace today too and had a very spiky graph. I haven't run for over a week because I've been climbing mountains for the last week n my calves have been too sore to run as well as climb. I set off too fast and then two deers ran out in front of me so I stopped to watch them. Then I struggled to keep a steady pace, my mind was wandering, and I was getting distracted. After 40 mins I stopped, stretch n sat on the cliff top looking out to sea before running home with the most bizarre splits! It was a lovely sunny day though and great to be out again after a week off.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3474 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118 ... 139  Next