| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Washing after touching your privates
PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:22 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

I haven't read any of the intervening posts, but here you go anyway.

The point isn't necessarily the bacteria that grow in one's sweaty crevices-- if you're peeing standing up, there are microdroplets of urine that go EVERYWHERE. Yuckers!

Anyway, you should wash your hands for the sake of just, you know, WASHING YOUR HANDS. Does it hurt anything? No! Does it potentially keep you from spreading disease? Yes! So get over yourself and wash them? Dang.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:25 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

Invictus wrote:
I was so surprised once when a guy told me that he thought it was much more important for girls to wash than guys, since the girl's hand is closer to the pee via the toilet paper. And I was like, But you touch the actual genital!

Not necessarily. I just kinda pull my undies aside and let the bits aim themselves. They naturally point in the right direction, so no hand-aiming is required. I do touch my underwear, but not The Junk.

And now you know more than you ever could have wanted.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:27 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

Adam Crisis wrote:
I dont understand the view point that ones dick or vagina is swimming in filth and one needs to immediately sanitize their hands at the mere touch of it.

I agree that people get more worked up than they really should, but those sweaty crevices are home to all kinds of exciting bacteria and stuff. If you can smell it at all-- like, if you poke you fingers up in there and sniff them and you can tell where they've been-- that means there's stuff growing in there.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:30 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

Adam Crisis wrote:
I never wash my hands at home unless I have something greasy on them or I just had a gross poop and my fingers poked through the TP or something. Other than that my hands get washed in the shower or while doing dishes.

Remind me never to eat any food at your house. Or touch anything. Dang.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:13 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

stephanie wrote:
My boyfriend steadfastly refuses to wash his hands for the same reasons OP's partner uses, and it drives me insane.
I probably wash my hands 10-15 times/day and have to try pretty hard not to do it more often. A decade or so ago, I was doing it upwards of 50 times a day.

Aside from my personal addiction to handwashing, there are definitely times I think it should be pretty much SOP for everyone to wash their hands: before and after preparing or eating food, after taking out the trash or cleaning the litter box, before touching someone else's junk, and definitely after using the restroom, regardless of gender or junk-touching.

I definitely agree with all Stephanie's times to wash hands, apart from after eating- that is a choice.

With regards to using the toilet, having my own pee on my hands wouldn't worry me, but hands that have been near an anus or on a toilet handle need to be cleaned. And as I would want other people to wash their hands between peeing/ genital touching and touching a doorknob, I always wash my hands.
I do wash my hands before peeing if they're particularly dirty or I'll be directly touching my genitals (eg dealing with periods).

And about washing hands before touching other people's junk- I think that is a very important issue, but how do you request it if it doesn't happen automatically as part of the going to bed process (last minute pee, brushing teeth etc.) I wouldn't want someone touching his shoes to take them off, then touching my face and crotch, but it'd be awkward to stop in the middle of stuff and say 'uh... can you wash your hands?'

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:46 am 
Baking In The Flavor

I'm pro-handwashing
Fee wrote:
I don't care if anyone washes their hands, though, I'm afraid of supergerms.

but none of that antibacterial shiitake

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:58 am 

GreenDuck wrote:
And about washing hands before touching other people's junk- I think that is a very important issue, but how do you request it if it doesn't happen automatically as part of the going to bed process (last minute pee, brushing teeth etc.) I wouldn't want someone touching his shoes to take them off, then touching my face and crotch, but it'd be awkward to stop in the middle of stuff and say 'uh... can you wash your hands?'

I do exactly this. I just straight up ask. It can indeed be awkward, especially if you don't know the person you're fooling around with very well, but after the first time someone touched my junk without washing their hands after they'd been dicing chilies sans gloves, I knew there was no other way to go. I figure that if my simple request for hygiene is going to turn someone off that much, I shouldn't be banging them in the first place!

I only wash my hands after eating if I eat a food that directly touches my hands (as opposed to only utensils), which is extremely rare to begin with.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:22 am 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

It's funny because telling people to wash their hands isn't going to make them wash their hands.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:30 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

Fee wrote:
It's funny because telling people to wash their hands isn't going to make them wash their hands.

At the dentist's office, there's a big poster up in the bathroom about hand-washing. It has a bunch of stats, including the interesting fact that while some large percentage of Americans claim to wash their hands after every bathroom use, observation of people's bathroom habits reveals that a significantly smaller number of people actually do so.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:04 pm 
WELFARIST!

I've had moments where I've shaken hands with someone and a thought has flashed through my mind "did they just jerk off?" I wash my hands, personally, but I don't really believe that everyone makes a habit of it or anything. I figure if I make a point of washing my own hands relatively regularly, that's the main thing. And yes, I personally always wash my own hands after touching my privates.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:37 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

ScooterDiva wrote:
Puma wrote:
I would like to add the other day I almost broke my wrist after falling while flushing the toilet with my foot. I was in my own house.

Why do you flush the toilet with your foot in your own house?!

It was a semi consience thing. I almost fell because I realized what I was doing and startled my self.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:27 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

Location: In some dumb hotel in an equally dumb town...or in San Diego
so would it be a total mood killer if I was getting down with a lady and I then ask "umm, can you go wash your vagina before we do anything"

I have a feeling it would be

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:28 pm 

solipsistnation wrote:
Adam Crisis wrote:
I never wash my hands at home unless I have something greasy on them or I just had a gross poop and my fingers poked through the TP or something. Other than that my hands get washed in the shower or while doing dishes.

Remind me never to eat any food at your house. Or touch anything. Dang.

youre missing out, I make some damn good food, all the doo doo and germs and peas on my hands helps season everything

actually I forgot that I do wash my hands when I cook, often 3 or 4 times during the cooking process...of course I dont use soap

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:04 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Fee wrote:
Every time you touch my hand you can't even be reasonably sure it hasn't just touched a dick.

Is that why people shower after sexy times? Because I skip that too.

I always shower after sex...too sweaty and lubed up not to.

Gumboots & Cats Facebook Page
http://www.gumbootsandcats.tumblr.com/
http://www.gumbootsandcats.blogspot.com/
http://www.gumbootscatsvegansnacks.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:08 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Adam Crisis wrote:
so would it be a total mood killer if I was getting down with a lady and I then ask "umm, can you go wash your vagina before we do anything"

haha. i've said that about myself before! i guess it was a mood killer, but if i feel gross "down there" i can't really get into it.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:14 pm 

ijustdiedinside wrote:
Adam Crisis wrote:

haha. i've said that about myself before! i guess it was a mood killer, but if i feel gross "down there" i can't really get into it.

i can understand that, If Im horny and feeling gross I'll jump in the shower first too...but someone else saying it to you is a different story...and how about saying it every time before sexy stuff

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:08 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

solipsistnation wrote:
The point isn't necessarily the bacteria that grow in one's sweaty crevices-- if you're peeing standing up, there are microdroplets of urine that go EVERYWHERE. Yuckers!

I totally understand your concern with bodily fluids flying everywhere, but unlike all other fluids, urine is sterile! I'll take peas over spittle any day.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:43 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

CandyBeans wrote:

It's only sterile to the person who owns the pee, assuming they don't have an infection.

That I just cannot comprehend.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:07 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

starrynight87 wrote:
CandyBeans wrote:

It's only sterile to the person who owns the pee, assuming they don't have an infection.

That's because it's nonsensical. Sterile to one would be sterile to all.

The above has probably offended you. I have found it impossible to post to these forums without offending someone. I have preemptively said 25 hail seitans in the hope that I may appease the ppk gods and not be smote from these boards.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:44 am 
Thinks chickens are assholes

kibbles wrote:
solipsistnation wrote:

I totally understand your concern with bodily fluids flying everywhere, but unlike all other fluids, urine is sterile! I'll take peas over spittle any day.

Yeah, but isn't that just as soon as it comes out, does it not grow bacteria after a while on the skin/clothing?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:05 am 

fezza wrote:
kibbles wrote:
solipsistnation wrote:

Yeah, but isn't that just as soon as it comes out, does it not grow bacteria after a while on the skin/clothing?

I'm pretty sure it does grow bacteria after being exposed to the air for a while.

Adam Crisis wrote:

I wouldn't request penis-washing. I mean I'd prefer not to be with someone who hadn't washed for weeks, but I'm lucky enough to have a boyfriend who habitually showers every day, and I always shower before going to see him.
Hands are different- they're always touching things and getting dirty and germy and covered in irritants. And asking someone to wash their hands hopefully wouldn't make them think that you find their body/ sexual parts the shameful sort of dirty, as asking for a vagina to be washed might (maybe, in some circumstances).
Hope that made some sense, I'm having another day of not expressing myself properly.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:24 am 
Thinks chickens are assholes

Fungal, bacterial and viral infections can be transmitted by touch so hands should really be clean before handling people's junk. People are supposed to wash their own hands before changing tampons etc so I don't see why they should let anyone else rummage about down there without having recently washed their hands.

I used to have to ask my ex to go wash his pits, the smell of sweat is a trauma trigger for me. He used to whine about it being a mood killer, cos reeking and whining about keeping basic hygiene standards is not a mood killer. at. all.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:26 am 
A gift from the crasshole god.

I wash my hands after I pee and before I eat or prepare food. But then again I work in a hospital lab where there are pots of poo, pee, blood and other lovely things sitting about so hand washing has become a habit.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:35 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

shortbus wrote:
starrynight87 wrote:
CandyBeans wrote:

That's because it's nonsensical. Sterile to one would be sterile to all.

Yeah I didn't say the right thing. I wrongly repeated the phrasing I'd heard. So urine in the bladder is sterile, but as it travels from the bladder out of the body, it can pick up the bacteria living about the urinary tract. Most of it is non-harmful, as that's what we've got around there, but the urine ceases to be sterile.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:00 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Adam Crisis wrote:
ijustdiedinside wrote:
Adam Crisis wrote:

i can understand that, If Im horny and feeling gross I'll jump in the shower first too...but someone else saying it to you is a different story...and how about saying it every time before sexy stuff

A few of my friends were having a discussion about this, and it was unanimously decided that this is the reason sexy showers exist. Not many people complain about sexy showers.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next