| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:45 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fleas on my dog despite frontline
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:11 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

My dog gets frontline every month. In about 6 years I've had him, he's never had fleas until this august. he's the first dog i've ever had, so i didn't even realize what was wrong with him (he was scratching incessantly and had scabs) so I took him to the vet - who promptly told me he had fleas. He got medicine to kill them that day, and I also used spray stuff from the vet to spray down the house. I washed everything and vaccummed a bunch. The vet insisted frontline should work, and even sort of insinuated my husband must have forgotten a dose, so we bought more and gave it to him again.

Well now he has fleas again. My sisterinlaw said her vet told them dogs are getting immune to frontline, so we should give him advantage. Has anyone else heard this?

I am going to call my vet tomorrow, but hope to avoid another huge bill. My big questions are, can i give my dog advantage even though i put frontline on him a few weeks ago? Also, how can i get rid of the fleas he has now? Do I have to get more meds from the vet or is there some way to get rid of them with home remedies or stuff from the pet store?

Sorry for dumb questions but as I said, this is my 1st dog. I'd appreciate any tips on what to do if you have been in this same situation!!

Post subject: Re: Fleas on my dog despite frontline
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:59 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

I had the same thing happen with Chester and when I posted about it on Facebook a bunch of people told me that frontline had changed formulas and its not the same stuff as it used to be. We switched to Trifexis - the heartworm and flea one. I gave it to him just two weeks after his last dose of frontline because he's big and tough, but I'd recommend consulting the vet just in case. It works pretty instantly for fleas.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:19 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Yeah, we're having the same troubles with Frontline. It just doesn't do a damn thing anymore. We've seen the same with Advantage, but your mileage may vary. Both have been on the market for years now and bugs seem to be becoming rapidly resistant. It's even worse with cats because they have fewer treatment options than dogs. We've been trying Capstar (pills) for the shelter animals in conjunction with spot-on treatments. Our vet has stopped selling frontline and advantage and started selling Activyl. All of the flea/tick treatments can have nasty side effects, so I'd research all the ones available before making a choice. Stay away from the cheap over the counter stuff for sure.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:21 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Yeah - our vet told us that Frontline and Advantage are both pretty much useless at this point, and have been for a while. We treat our cats with one called Vectra now that works like a charm.

"I'm now officially wafflesexual." - booberthefraggle

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:05 am 
Plays The Sims 2 religiously

amandabear wrote:
Yeah - our vet told us that Frontline and Advantage are both pretty much useless at this point

This is what my vet told me too, and I have had this experience. Now the only thing that works is apparently the kind in pill form. I think the kind I use is Comboguard? I don't really remember but that came to mind. It works like a charm.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:42 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Yup, me too. We switched to Revolution because it covers heartworm too.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:01 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I'm going to switch to an oral flea meds next time. This liquid stuff that I have to put on their backs, I'm not sure how much of it is going on the skin or how much of it is not working because it's stuck in the hair or rolls off (that happened last time). Fleas are becoming immune. They don't like water for sure and we've spot picked fleas off of our dogs. We dabbed lotion or thick cream on the fleas to get them stuck and then pick them off.

Capstar is good for a one day kill. You can buy that online or maybe at pet shops too.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:27 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Thanks all. I just called the vet and they also sell vectra, so i guess we'll try that. They also said buying meds online (we got our frontline from amazon) is bad because sometimes it isn't the real stuff. Anybody else heard that? Do you buy yours from the vet only or other places?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:55 pm 
Slept through a huge sale, OH NO!

Our vet also said that the Frontline / Advantage days of efficacy are pretty much over. She recommended something called Comfortis, I think.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:11 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Aubade wrote:
Thanks all. I just called the vet and they also sell vectra, so i guess we'll try that. They also said buying meds online (we got our frontline from amazon) is bad because sometimes it isn't the real stuff. Anybody else heard that? Do you buy yours from the vet only or other places?

We get ours from our vet - I've gotten Frontline online before, but I'd be hesitant to get Vectra online just because there are different versions for dogs and cats and you have to get the right one, because using the cat Vectra for dogs can be fatal and vice versa (or so we were told.) I'd like to assume that getting it from somewhere reputable would be no different than getting it from the vet, but I don't know. I figure better safe than sorry.

"I'm now officially wafflesexual." - booberthefraggle

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:47 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

My vet was out of the flea drops for large dogs so she ordered some for me online. They use a place called VetSource. She said it came straight from the manufacturer. And it's on my vet's website too so they trust it.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:13 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

we buy ours on petshed.com - pretty darn cheap if you don't mind waiting a week or two for shipping.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:01 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

From what I understand, most of the companies that manufacture flea/heartworm/etc preventatives in the US will only sell them to licensed vets. So the online and mail order businesses are getting their stock from who knows where. There have been allegations of counterfeit stuff being sold, expired stuff, stuff purchased from other countries, etc. So you are taking a risk. (Of course vets would be against it anyway, because it's a loss in profit for them.) If you do buy from a site, google and look for reviews, lawsuits, etc.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:22 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

We had the same problem with our indoor kitty! She suddenly had fleas (probably brought in from my new house where outdoor kitties had lived) and we got a generic from the vet that had the same active ingredient as Frontline. It did squat. The poor baby was so unhappy and couldn't stop scratching. We went back and told her it wasn't working and she gave us a collar that's supposed to work against more stages in the lifecycle (the Frontline lookalike apparently only killed adult fleas). It's called Seresto, it's made by Bayer, and the active ingredients are imidacloprid and flumethrine. It's supposed to be good for 7-8 months and is not toxic for kitties or humans (as opposed to a lot of the over the counter stuff which can be super toxic for kitties). She's been flea free since we put it on. Happy kitty!

I don't know if they make a similar collar for dogs, but we're happy we finally got a solution.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:28 pm 
Saggy Butt

This same thing happened to me last week. I have two dogs and both had fleas. Just had a dose of Frontline. The vet also suggested we pick up Comfortis from them and before we could get there suggested we bath the dogs in Dawn dishwashing liquid. Yes, that is right, plain old Dawn. I really had reservations but it worked *immediately*. As we were drying the dogs the dead fleas were in the towel. The doggies were extra soft too for a few days after.

Our vet also said many of their customers indicated Frontline not working. They suggested we use a combination of Frontline and Comfortis each month. The problem is Frontline is very expensive and the Comfortis pill is $14 a pill. I also spent an hour on each dog with a flea comb, combing them and rinsing the comb in water. This was before the Dawn bath which worked better and was much faster. The vet suggested to not bathe the dog in Dawn more than once a week though and 48 hours after a Frontline application. And make sure its the original Dawn, the blue colored one.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 2:27 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

has anyone tried activyl?

we have enough frontline left for one month for each dog and then we have to find something new. i noticed at the vet the other day they sell the Activyl now but i didnt have a chance to ask them about it because when i go to the vet it's like a military operation. one dog is insanely dog reactive the other is terrified of the vet to the point where we have to muzzle him so not much chance for chit chat

they also had some sort of chewy thing there that my husband claimed was for fleas and ticks. i saw it out of the corner of my eye but thought it was like heartgard. i didnt see the name of it.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 5:58 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Yeah, we tried Activyl at work. Didn't see a big difference between that and Frontline (or Advantix or Vectra 3D). Maybe it's killing some ticks, but we're still pulling them off the dogs. None of the dogs have fleas, but they didn't have any to begin with so it's hard to tell if the Activyl helps with that. The fleas are awful with cats, though. Our vet has now completely given up on selling flea treatments for cats because none of the treatments seem to work anymore.

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 7:16 pm 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

ugh i hate ticks. we havent had the huge problems with frontline that some people have but it doesnt seem to work as well (ive heard people say it doesnt work at all we havent experienced that yet)

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 1:17 am 
Level 7 Vegan

Last fall, both of my cats got it bad with the fleas. I tried Frontline, it did nothing. I finally went to the vet and got Comfortis, and all fleas were gone in a couple of days (mostly the first day, but I think some were hanging around in the carpet - it was that bad). The only thing I dislike about Comfortis is that it comes in this giant wafer form that's clearly too big to feed to a cat. I've tried crushing it in their food, but it's so pungent that they'll barely touch it. The good thing about this is that I discovered that 1/2 pill per cat works just fine, so that's a little money savings. I'm going to have to figure out a better delivery method, though.