| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 244 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
 Post subject: Re: Boston people
PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:35 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

I didn't love the waffles (too chewy for my liking), but the pancakes were good! I don't eat mushrooms so I was sad to skip the scramble (I might go again and see if they can leave it out) and the biscuits and gravy. I didn't try the hushpuppies, but I will next time!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:29 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I thought the burger was OK, but the bun, lettuce, tomato, and garlic aioli really made it nice. And the fries were divine. I need like a million times more ketchup though. I'm usually not crazy about homemade ketchup, but that stuff is good.

I think I'm going to try the LA Wrap next! Or waffles or pancakes. Depending on what time I go.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:15 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

ndpittman wrote:
I thought the burger was OK, but the bun, lettuce, tomato, and garlic aioli really made it nice. And the fries were divine. I need like a million times more ketchup though. I'm usually not crazy about homemade ketchup, but that stuff is good.

agreed, that bun was so good, I think they use Iggy's bread? Last time i was at True Bistro they were testing out Iggy's and gave us a bunch of extra rolls for free and they were all so delicious. The aioli and fries were also great I agree. I wanted extra aioli to dip the fries into!

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:00 am 

Yeah, it tasted like it could have been Iggy's sourdough. Mmm...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:14 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

They are definitely using Iggy's breadstuffs, which is awesome. We haven't been yet, but we're looking forward to making it happen soon. As usual, a lot of the brunch stuff sounds way too sweet (am I the only one who would cut a bisque for some savory crepes and/or waffles? Enough with the whipped cream and chocolate for breakfast, already!), but the biscuits and gravy and hushpuppies are appealing, and I'm willing to give the scramble a try even though I've never had one in a restaurant that wasn't disappointing. I kind of wish they'd offer more than salads and sandwiches on the regular menu, but maybe that will happen in time.

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:31 pm 

The scramble wasn't bad. Needed a little more nooch and a pinch of black salt. When I went there were no biscuits and gravy! I was super sad about that.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:10 am 
Level 7 Vegan

How's the seating? Peace o' Pie was so small!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:25 am 
ugh

Still small, but I think they did a slightly better job of cramming people into the space. Also it looks really nice in there!

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:04 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

We went to Root yesterday and really, really liked it. The no frills, bus yourself approach keeps things simple, and although the space is still pretty small, they're using it more effectively: the open kitchen and rectangular vs. round tables expand things visually and allow more room for people to sit. More importantly: we liked the food a lot. When we walked in we were starving so we ordered hushpuppies, the sweet potato and kale quesadilla, and the eggplant caprese sandwich; everything was good, but it was way too much food, so we wound up bringing some home - which is by no means a bad thing. I especially liked the quesadilla (half of which we had for lunch today, along with a few of the hushpuppies), which was delicious without even a hint of fake cheese. Don't get me wrong, Daiya is fine in its place, but I get irked by its ubiquity in so many vegan restaurants; not only is it lazy, but it doesn't even taste that good. In fact, one of the nicest things about the Root menu is the relative dearth of stuff I can buy at the grocery store in favor of homemade food. The selection is a bit limited, but that may change; in any case, we'll definitely go back. Next time I'm there on a weekday I'll try one of the salads, and we're hoping to make it for brunch before too long. All in all, another win for Boston area vegans!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:24 pm 
ugh

Desdemona wrote:
In fact, one of the nicest things about the Root menu is the relative dearth of stuff I can buy at the grocery store in favor of homemade food.

+1 yummy!

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:31 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

b.vicious wrote:
Desdemona wrote:
In fact, one of the nicest things about the Root menu is the relative dearth of stuff I can buy at the grocery store in favor of homemade food.

+1 yummy!
Seriously - I don't see the point in paying someone $10 to rip open a couple of packages and sell me a sandwich that I could make at home (and better) for 1/4 of the price. It's one thing if you're traveling and have limited options, but if I'm going to support a place on a regular basis they need to step it up a bit.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:39 am 
WELFARIST!

I'm also a fan of savory foods over sweet ones, especially for breakfast!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 9:02 am 
ugh

Just bumping this thread in case anyone subscribes to it. I'm trying to find a home for some animals. viewtopic.php?f=47&t=29936

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:56 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

Okay, so this is a bit of shameless promotion (since it's for the shop I work at), but Serenade Chocolatier in Brookline Village has a lot of yummy vegan chocolates. Right now they have chocolate-covered caramel and chocolate-dipped sorbet pops as seasonal items, but they have tons of other options (including vegan chocolate-covered marshmallows, which I get really excited about.) I'm just really excited to work at a vegan-friendly chocolate shop.

Admittedly, they're on the pricey side, but good for an occasional treat.

http://www.serenadechocolatier.com/

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:50 am 
ugh

That's great, thanks for the heads up! I wouldn't know where else to get fancy vegan chocolates in the Boston area, other than Whole Foods, so it's nice to be aware of the option.

ETA: Does the Boston location have vegan options as well?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:17 am 
So Totally Yiffy

I didn't realize that the Boston location was still listed on the website! I'll have to tell my boss about that...

The lease for the Boston location ran up a few months ago, and we were forced to move out so that a CVS could be built in our old space. But when it was open, they had vegan options, though there weren't as many options as we have in the Brookline shop.

For other fancy vegan chocolates, I know that LA Burdick has some too (they have a location by Copley and another by Harvard Square.) But I think that they're mostly limited to dried fruit dipped in chocolate, or just plain dark chocolate bars. Nothing against Burdick (they're undeniably delicious) but they don't have as many vegan items.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:00 pm 

I almost stopped in their the other day (Serenade), but I was like, eh, nothing sounds vegan. I will definitely check it out--thanks for the head's up!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:27 pm 
WELFARIST!

SoaringRaven wrote:
I didn't realize that the Boston location was still listed on the website! I'll have to tell my boss about that...

The lease for the Boston location ran up a few months ago, and we were forced to move out so that a CVS could be built in our old space. But when it was open, they had vegan options, though there weren't as many options as we have in the Brookline shop.

Because that's what we need is more CVS's. I'll definitely check out the shop when I'm in the area! I had no idea we had fancy vegan chocolate here.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:56 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

Yes, we definitely need more CVS's... one on every other corner clearly isn't enough.

Also, before I forget to mention, Serenade is going to be closed from the 4th through the 21st.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 244 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10